Author Topic: Surprisingly Badass- Coconut Oil  (Read 9273 times)

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Surprisingly Badass- Coconut Oil
« on: February 08, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I've been on the Coconut Oil bandwagon for a while now, but I recently found out some great things that have changed how I perceive (and even use!) the stuff. 

I came across this article- http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/ while scrolling through Facebook.

After reading through it, I started to eat more oil. 

I feel I should mention that this article was well-timed, since I was also reading through a bunch of the old MMM posts, some of which mention the reliance on oils as a cheap source of calories.  So, to try it out, I've begun adding more oil to my foods (yay- more avocados!).  My biggest success has been adding coconut oil to my morning ritual.  I'll eat a couple straight spoonfuls of it, and, sure enough, I have been feeling a lot less hungry come lunchtime and beyond!

I'm going to continue using this oil, and see how much it can help me cut down on unnecessary eating.  I'll report back with my findings at a later time.

Has anyone else out there developed an opinion, one way or the other, in regards to coconut oil?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Re: Surprisingly Badass- Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
I don't buy coconut oil preset, but I definitely consume quite a bit of calories from olive oil. I buy 16oz bottle of olive oil on clearance sale by the mini case load (as many as are available typically) and use it for all of my cooking purposes.

I don't get nearly as hungry as I used to a few years back before this became a habit (before discovering MMM), and so when I read the MMM posts I was just nodding my head the entire time.

Keep it up!

enpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
We only have three oils in our house.

Olive oil for salads (darker colour)
Olive oil for light cooking (lighter colour)
Coconut oil for high temperate roasting or BBQ

No need to get any other oils. I've tried lard but it tasted and smelled disgusting and I'm not eating butter as I have dairy allergies.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
I'm getting a free cholesterol check at work in about a month.  I'm going to see what my baseline is (never had it tested before) then go back to using my big tub of coconut oil for a few months, then get another test.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »
I've been a big fan of olive oil from the time I lived in Greece.

But for eggs I always use coconut oil.  There's something I don't like about the taste of olive oil with eggs.

I'll also eat the occasional spoonful of coconut oil as a snack too.  Good stuff!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:56 AM »
I've been using coconut oil as a moisturizer but my (small) issue is that I start craving Almond Joy candy bars because of the smell.  :)

Another oil I use for cooking is avacado oil.  Many of the same good things, and good for high temperature cooking.  It has a lighter taste than either coconut oil or olive oil. 

Between the two I don't eat much butter and don't have any other vegetable oils in the house (well, one small bottle of olive oil left over...)

Thoughtful Mule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
Coconut oil, like olive oil, is good stuff. Too many uses to mention. I just had some in my coffee.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »
My three 'odd use' contributions to the coconut oil bandwagon: udder balm for milking a cow, diaper ointment, and in the bedroom.

Each of those gets a separate jar. ;)

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
^^ Ha!!

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
Love coconut oil - sometimes we buy it by the 5-gallon pail.
Used for food (including home-made cocolate), as well as home-made deodorant, lip blam, massage oil, furniture polish and boat wax.
For cooking, we also use tallow, ghee, olive oil, and red palm oil.

beachbound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
I don't really love the taste of CO when using it to fry, so I'll use NOW's MCT oil.  It's a bit more expensive, but it lasts a long time.

sleenie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
I've always heard about the great benefits of coconut oil but is anyone concerned about the amount of saturated fat it has?

Kpd905 I'd be curious to see what your cholesterol levels look like before and after--please do share!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
I've always heard about the great benefits of coconut oil but is anyone concerned about the amount of saturated fat it has?

Kpd905 I'd be curious to see what your cholesterol levels look like before and after--please do share!

Nope, this is a health myth and has been debunked.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
I use coconut oil for super dry skin, due to a lanolin allergy and living in a really cold area.  It's greasier than most lotions (which often contain alcohol, which dries out the skin and seems counterproductive).  It seems to work best preventatively, applied daily.

FrenchMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 11:20:32 PM »
I'm getting a free cholesterol check at work in about a month.  I'm going to see what my baseline is (never had it tested before) then go back to using my big tub of coconut oil for a few months, then get another test.

Ive just done this!

Had a blood cholesterol test in March last year, then changed my diet to no sugar lots of fat (mainly coconut oil but also lots of raw butter) and had a test again last Friday. My cholesterol levels were already good before I changed my diet but they have improved. All my bad cholesterol lebels are super low and the good one is very high.

Also i blend a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee in the morning, sounds weird but is really delicious!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 01:27:14 AM »

Fat good, carbs bad.

Check out the movie Fat Head for the Cliff notes version.

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:57 AM »
Also i blend a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee in the morning, sounds weird but is really delicious!

Bulletproof Coffee!!!!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
Yep, just a few short years ago coconut oil was on the "worst of the worst" list of oils and fats.  I don't use it personally, but I do fry potatoes in lard occasionally, talk about good eating!

Matthew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
I've been pretty reluctant to love coconut oil because it seems like a hippy trendy expensive luxury.  But my wife loves it, uses it daily.  I will admit, popcorn popped in this stuff is delicious. 

The other day I was stocking up at Sam's Club.  This was on our list.  So I dutifully bought it.  Then I quickly calculated how many calories per dollar it costs, and holy shit it's cheaper than rice on this basis!  At least, at our local costs, which can be weird.  So I think I'm about to start loving it.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
When our dog was getting old (dying, actually), she had terrible breath. She wouldn't eat doggy breath mints. I read somewhere that coconut oil could help. She lapped that stuff up every morning like it was candy, and it definitely helped her breath. It was a tasty treat that brightened her last few weeks.

BTW, I also put a teaspoon or so in my morning coffee. I'm not going to comment about my breath, but my HDL, LDL, and triglycerides are freakin' awesome for an old lady. The doctor couldn't believe it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
We buy it largely for use on our baby's ass.  He seems to get less rashes with it than with other diaper creams.  I used to cook with it quite frequently, but prices have gone up a lot for the stuff.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
A spoonful a day, it's a staple for me. Lot's of good health benefits. Don't let the saturated fat content scare you. SF is needed in the diet, and coconut oil has more of what you would call 'good' SF.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »

In my original post, I link to an article that discusses this... in short, CO is indeed full of saturated fats, BUT since these fats are medium-chain triglycerides rather than long-chain ones you find in other sources of saturated fats, it's actually a good-for-you saturated fat!

CO has so many good benefits, like appetite suppressant, reduces visceral fat (the kind found around your organs), gives you good breath, and protects your brain! 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:58 PM »
I've been pretty reluctant to love coconut oil because it seems like a hippy trendy expensive luxury.  But my wife loves it, uses it daily.  I will admit, popcorn popped in this stuff is delicious. 

The other day I was stocking up at Sam's Club.  This was on our list.  So I dutifully bought it.  Then I quickly calculated how many calories per dollar it costs, and holy shit it's cheaper than rice on this basis!  At least, at our local costs, which can be weird.  So I think I'm about to start loving it.

I'm always shocked to see $12.99 16oz jars for sale at the health food store.  I bought a whole gallon for $22!