Author Topic: Surf Fishing for Dinner  (Read 2650 times)

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
Surf Fishing for Dinner
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
I have been a "near vegetarian" my entire adult life. Maybe once or twice a month when I do want some protein; I prefer to go surf fishing. It is extremely economical and fun. My father was an accomplished fisherman and I learned a few things. Certain times of the year, on certain tides and using certain baits... fishing is almost as reliable as going to the market. My GF can hardly believe it as I cast about 75 yards out and in minutes wind up a fresh catch every time we go. Anybody else like to break out the tackle once in a while?

brandonw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Surf Fishing for Dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 12:19:47 PM »
My wife and I regularly eat freshwater game fish, mostly crappie.  Catching them is one of my favorite hobbies and never hurts to have a freezer full for meals.  Definitely a mustachian hobby.

lcmac32

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
My wife and I regularly eat freshwater game fish, mostly crappie.  Catching them is one of my favorite hobbies and never hurts to have a freezer full for meals.  Definitely a mustachian hobby.

Aaaahhh Crappie!!!! The best tasting freshwater fish, so light and fluffy.  My Stepdad, is a avid crappie fisherman.  Nothing like a fish fry with crappie caught that day.  So delicious.

brandonw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:39 AM »

Aaaahhh Crappie!!!! The best tasting freshwater fish, so light and fluffy.  My Stepdad, is a avid crappie fisherman.  Nothing like a fish fry with crappie caught that day.  So delicious.

I couldn't agree more!  And they're relatively easy to catch if you know a few reliable spots and techniques.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
I love surf fishing!
It is so simple and fun and can be effective for putting something tasty on the plate. 

I fish in Northern California and the surf fishing can be hit or miss.  Surf perch aren't the best table fare but it's not bad.  I like to make fish tacos, grilled with a cabbage slaw is way good. 

Care to share which tides you seem to have the most luck with?  I usually fish any tide but have found that high tide is usually a bit better. 

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
Care to share which tides you seem to have the most luck with?  I usually fish any tide but have found that high tide is usually a bit better.

Yes....here on the east coast I do best on a rising tide as well and I pay attention to the outflow/rip currents. These are the deeper areas that channel the water from breaking waves back out to sea. That's where the fish hang out waiting for food !

BiotechGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »

Yes....here on the east coast I do best on a rising tide as well and I pay attention to the outflow/rip currents. These are the deeper areas that channel the water from breaking waves back out to sea. That's where the fish hang out waiting for food !

Where are you on the east coast, and what kind of fish are you reliably catching? I surf fish too in the Boston area. Reliably catch schoolie striped bass that are too short to legally keep, but it’s still quite fun nonetheless.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Where are you on the east coast, and what kind of fish are you reliably catching? I surf fish too in the Boston area. Reliably catch schoolie striped bass that are too short to legally keep, but it’s still quite fun nonetheless.

I am on the east central Florida coast. I follow the following schedule and adjust rigs/baits accordingly. A small network of surf fishing buddies is the best resource.

Late Sept/Oct.. Spanish Mackerel, Whiting (once in a while just for fun sharks, ladyfish, tarpon)
November...Schoolie Bluefish (for the smoker)
December/Jan/Feb/March/April...Mostly Pompano, Whiting, Southern Flounder, Bluefish
May/June....Leaping Spanish Mackerel !, Whiting
Summer....Rarely....Huge Kingfish (king mackerel) from my kayak.

I used to fish the inshore brackish waters for seatrout, snapper and sheepshead but I don't like the looks of it anymore. :(

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
Fishing for dinner is a big thing on the Virginia coast. I’m not much a fan of seafood personally, but it’s a cool hobby.

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
I just moved to the Virginia coast, and I want to try crab trapping,maybe other kinds of fishing too.