Author Topic: Successfully cut my own hair  (Read 5524 times)

Victoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Successfully cut my own hair
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
I just need someone to brag to. Twice I tried to cut my hair using the ponytail method and was unhappy with it. But I persevered and gave myself a straight across cut today and not only does it not look like crap, it actually looks really good! I'm so excited. I already figured out how to do my bangs, and I am weaning my hair off of shampoo. Soon my hair spending will consist of the cost of hot water and a hairbrush. Now that will nice.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Successfully cut my own hair
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Congratulations.  I had to promise myself that if I screwed it up I would go straight to the beauty school and have them fix it before I had the courage to try it with my Flowbee.  Now I don't expect to ever have another commercial cut.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
Well done!

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »
I just tried the ponytail method about a month ago and I was really happy with the results.  I'm glad you found something that works for you, too!  It feels SO good to know I never have to spend money getting my hair cut again!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
Congratulations! This is much easier for a guy. I have probably paid for about 5 haircuts in my life. My step-mom is a hair stylist and I never paid for hair cuts in high school. When I went to college I paid to have my hair cut a couple times and realized that my money was better spent on booze.

Its much higher risk and higher reward for women. I think it should be a no brainer for men.

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
OMG!  I will be starving and naked before I give up my stylist.  Glad it worked out for you, though.  I'll rock climb and rappel off cliffs but don't have the guts to cut my own hair...  Face punch on its way.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
Congratulations! This is much easier for a guy. I have probably paid for about 5 haircuts in my life. My step-mom is a hair stylist and I never paid for hair cuts in high school. When I went to college I paid to have my hair cut a couple times and realized that my money was better spent on booze.

Its much higher risk and higher reward for women. I think it should be a no brainer for men.
Really? As a guy that just recently started cutting his own hair, I don't think it's that easy. I mean, cutting the hair in the back is pretty difficult if you want to get it to look good. I've cut it to be "good enough."

But OP, congrats on cutting your own hair! And you'll only get better the more times you try.

Debtless in Texas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Debtless in Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »
Well done, I shave my head with clippers - but could never actually cut it in any other way. It will get easier the more that you do it too. Gotta save that $$$

possumjaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Ah, this is so awesome to find others doing this!!!

I happen to identify as a non-binary gender, and I've been cutting my hair for ages.  I kept going to the hair-salon and asking for a specific cut and having them go, "Ohhh, you want this but like for [insert gender here--a boy/a girl]."  And I'm like, No.  I want.  this.  But it never works out and then I'm out a bunch of money.  Additionally, my hair is super curly and most barbers don't know what to do with it anyways unless they've known me for several years.

Then I began working as a receptionist for a local hair-dresser and closely observing.  I learned from watching and going home and experimenting on my own head how to do up-dos, long-cuts, medium-cuts, and short-cuts.  I can even do interesting asymmetric styles now, which is tricky on my curly hair.  It is so freeing to not have to worry about not only the money but the social anxiety too...and I can get it pretty much just how I want it, human error aside.  I've also started charging friends for hair cuts or using them as gifts instead of purchasing something.  One of my pals now offers me unlimited mixed drinks when I come to visit her...which I guess isn't that useful, since I don't drink much...but it is a nice thing.

Wupper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
I've cut my own hair for 25 years. But I'm a guy and use clippers. Damn near impossible to screw it up.

My son is 15, and never had a hair cut outside the home.

Of course, my wife and daughter spend money on haircuts, salon service, etc.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:12 PM »
I tried the ponytail method and wasn't overly happy with it. I cut a good 10 cm off but my overall length didn't change at all. I'm worried that if I take more off the layers around my face will be too short for my liking.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »
I just need someone to brag to. Twice I tried to cut my hair using the ponytail method and was unhappy with it. But I persevered and gave myself a straight across cut today and not only does it not look like crap, it actually looks really good!

Nice! I had a similar experience. I tried the ponytail method and didn't like it at all. Then I realized that's because I usually wear my hair ... in a ponytail. So the ponytail method just looked really blunt with my hairstyle. Cutting it all one length looks much better.

Lesson: Don't give up! If you're a salon-hater like me, there's probably a solution out there.

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 02:36:02 AM »
I've cut my own hair for 25 years. But I'm a guy and use clippers. Damn near impossible to screw it up.
Yeah, I've been trimming with a clipper for years. I have, though, recently been learning how to shave my hair all the way down to nothing with a safety razor. Third attempt last week, and I only cut myself once ;)

The only problem is that my head hair is thick enough that I can't re-use the blade the week after. I'm used to shaving (the beard) with a blade that's been through the wars before replacing it, gauging the pressure required; guess I'll need to learn the pressures I can safely apply to my head with an old blade.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:52 AM »
Yeah, I've been trimming with a clipper for years. I have, though, recently been learning how to shave my hair all the way down to nothing with a safety razor. Third attempt last week, and I only cut myself once ;)

The only problem is that my head hair is thick enough that I can't re-use the blade the week after. I'm used to shaving (the beard) with a blade that's been through the wars before replacing it, gauging the pressure required; guess I'll need to learn the pressures I can safely apply to my head with an old blade.
For me, once my scalp got used to it, I found that shaving my head was *easier* than my face. The skin is tighter and less sensitive, and I can take nice broad strokes.

I have to shave with the 'grain' on my face just to avoid irritation, but on my head find it works better against the grain. I hold the razor upside down and go from bottom to top.

Adventure Chick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
Wooooooohoooo! I'm embarking on my own haircutting journey soon (have one final hairdresser appt because I got a """""good deal""" in my pre-MMM days and haven't used the voucher!) And have been starting to research how to do it. I have super long hair and got highlights every few months which was like $200+! insane!

I'm sooooo stoked to save that money and feel fly in the process.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
This is a great opportunity to see exactly how your hair is cut, so you can duplicate it at home.  That is how I learned to cut my bangs so they looked good.

Wooooooohoooo! I'm embarking on my own haircutting journey soon (have one final hairdresser appt because I got a """""good deal""" in my pre-MMM days and haven't used the voucher!) And have been starting to research how to do it. I have super long hair and got highlights every few months which was like $200+! insane!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
I chopped my hair today! I've always touched up between cuts to make them last but this is the first time I've dobe a major cut.

I put my hair in a low ponytail, cut it off, and that created a wedge in the back. I added a few layers in the back, then evened out the front. Took maybe 10-15 min. I also already buzz DH, and cut DD and DS .

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
Congrats all!

I got so tired of salons charging me insane fees for haircuts that, at best, never made me hair look particularly good - just "ok".  For $200 with tax & tip, I wanted more than just "ok".  So I started cutting my own hair a while ago.  I made a few mistakes at first, but finally settled on a combination of two pony tail cuts plus bangs.  It looks wonderful, takes no more time than I used to spend just calling the salon for an appointment, and I get to do it as often as I like - seems to need trimming every month.  My hair is a couple inches above the shoulder and it now comes out perfectly every time - feels so empowering!!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 04:07:58 AM »
What is your technique freya?

I was considering a two ponytail cut approach but I chickened out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!