Author Topic: Successful [big for us] car repair!  (Read 2960 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Successful [big for us] car repair!
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
This is huge for us!  So we have a 2008 Scion xB that has had a nagging problem since we bought it used 4 years ago.  Three dashboard lights go off -- Check Engine, VSC, and Trac Off.  These three lights are coupled together and can go off for a wide variety of reasons.  They go off so frequently in these older Scions that owners call them the "Three Stooges."  The car runs beautifully, by the way. 

Every time these Stooge lights would go off, we would try to figure out the problem.  We'd have the error codes read (various evaporation problem codes) and consult with mechanics.  We've had that darned car in the shop three times in the past two years.  Each time the mechanics said they looked at it, but were unable to figure it out.  The mechanics just advised to keep driving the car and not worry about it.

Last week we had finally had enough, and DH devoted his whole attention to it.  He did a deep research dive online, and narrowed the problem down to two suspects:  one of the evap valve solenoids, and the vapor canister.   He took out the unit with the solenoid, and tested that.  Seemed to be ok.  He then took out the vapor canister and lo and behold there was a small crack in it!  The replacement canister runs about $800.  DH did more research and decided to try to fix the existing canister.  He got a special sealant that is graded to resist gas and gas fumes, and made the repair.  The canister then held a vacuum!  He reassembled everything, and lo and behold -- no dash lights.   Good bye Three Stooges!!!  And thank you internet and Youtube.

This repair (once you diagnose it/know what needs to be done) seems to run about $1400 in a shop.  $800 for the part, and ~$600 for labor.   Our total cost was $25:  $20 for a device to measure vacuums, and $5 for the sealant.

Even if the repaired canister eventually fails, I feel like this whole process was a huge win.  We can always buy a replacement part and DH can install it, saving big $.  And we learned a lot.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Successful [big for us] car repair!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:05 AM »
Nice work, congrats!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »
Thanks @RWD!  We're so happy to finally know what the problem was.   

Mr.GrowingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »
Excellent, good job! You can fix and prevent the majority of car problems with DIY and proper maintenance. For some people this just blows over their head, it simpler than you'd think.

I have similar story wiht the Mechanics and dealerships. I had some problems with car vibration and I got the usual "we dont see anything", "bring it to the shop and we'll take a look at it", "we need $150 to diagnose the car". I spent MORE time on the phone and trying to get my car to a decent mechanic to diagnose it than I did on research on my own. The car needed to spend 5 minutes on the lift so a trained eye can look at the worn suspension parts.

So I figured that I will WASTE more time trying to get it to a decent mechanic, then I'd have to leave the car there or wait around for hours. Doing my own work actually seemed like LESS work, and MUCH cheaper. Saved thousands!

Seems to me that most mechanics aren't knowledgable enough (or it will take them a LONG time, hence $$$ in labor) to diagnose obscure problems that require some more elaborate detective/diagnostics work. Those mechanics are HARD to find.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:46:28 AM by Mr.GrowingMustache »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
<snip>
Seems to me that most mechanics aren't knowledgable enough (or it will take them a LONG time, hence $$$ in labor) to diagnose obscure problems that require some more elaborate detective/diagnostics work. Those mechanics are HARD to find.

+1  This is exactly right.  We spent $$$ on those attempts the mechanics made to diagnose the problem.  From now on, we're going try it ourselves before we take a car to a mechanic.

Obviously we're limited in the things we can do by ourselves at home (no lift, for example) but I think there might be a surprising number of things we could fix on our own.  Before this, the most we had done to a car was change the oil, or a headlight, or some fuses.  Now we're feeling pretty bold haha.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
PLEASE share the brand / name of the sealant.  Did you/he get it at a local auto parts store or order it online?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
^ Sure @HipGnosis, it is Permatex Form-A-Gasket sealant, #2 Non-hardening formula.  We got it at AutoZone.

I'll be really interested to see how long this fix holds.  If and when it fails we can replace the whole part, but you never know -- it might last a long time.  The main joy is that we found the problem.   

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:04:28 PM »
This repair (once you diagnose it/know what needs to be done) seems to run about $1400 in a shop.  $800 for the part, and ~$600 for labor.   Our total cost was $25:  $20 for a device to measure vacuums, and $5 for the sealant.

AWESOME!  I love it when that happens.  We recently had a big win on car repair, too.  I say "we," but it was all my husband.  I got to share in the savings, though!

The sliding door on our 2008 Honda Odyssey stopped working.  DH researched it online for a couple of hours, took apart the door, and found three possible pieces that needed replacing.  He ordered all three online for a total of about $400.  He replaced them in order, going easiest and cheapest to most expensive.  It worked on the second piece!  He returned the third piece, which cost about $350.  I have heard from friends who had similar issues that they brought it to the dealer, which would do the same thing (start with the cheapest and easiest and then work their way to the most expensive), and each time they would get hit for $800-$1800.  DH's tenacity and hard work easily saved us a thousand dollars.  I am very lucky.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
That is fantastic @TVRodriguez!  That was a great win for you! 

Yes, same boat here -- my DH did it; I helped with the research and the thinking part a bit is all.  I am very, very lucky.  He's fixed so many things for us (appliances, home repairs) saving us big bucks.  This car repair was a new frontier, but he hit it out of the park.  ETA:  I also appreciate learning new things.  This evaporation issue caused me to learn what a car's evap system is and how it works.  It's like @Mr.GrowingMustache said above -- It really was understandable, and simpler than I would have thought.   

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:09:40 PM by Trifele »

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
A couple of years ago we replaced the leaking heater core in our 1996 Toyota Tacoma. We scoured the internet for information and videos of how to do this. They basically take a heater core and build the truck around it; we had to take out the whole dash to get at it.

We allotted 3 days to do the job in our driveway. We set up a system where every part taken out was numbered and logged on a list in order of it's removal. I took the time to clean many of those parts while they were out of the truck, covered with dust and other things that had been spilled down the vents over the years. We ended up working on it three half days.

The second day we just replaced the heater core itself. The heater core part we had ordered did not look quite right so we went to the parts store to get another one.

When it was time to put it back together on the third day we went through the list in reverse order to make sure we did not miss any parts. Probably saved about $800 doing it ourselves but, more valuable, we learned that we could do a big complex job like that.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
A couple of years ago we replaced the leaking heater core in our 1996 Toyota Tacoma.
<snip>

Wow, @eostache, great job.  I'm very impressed!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
A couple of years ago we replaced the leaking heater core in our 1996 Toyota Tacoma. We scoured the internet for information and videos of how to do this. They basically take a heater core and build the truck around it; we had to take out the whole dash to get at it.

We allotted 3 days to do the job in our driveway. We set up a system where every part taken out was numbered and logged on a list in order of it's removal. I took the time to clean many of those parts while they were out of the truck, covered with dust and other things that had been spilled down the vents over the years. We ended up working on it three half days.

The second day we just replaced the heater core itself. The heater core part we had ordered did not look quite right so we went to the parts store to get another one.

When it was time to put it back together on the third day we went through the list in reverse order to make sure we did not miss any parts. Probably saved about $800 doing it ourselves but, more valuable, we learned that we could do a big complex job like that.

Heater core replacement can be a huge pain. I did it on my 1991 Toyota Supra. The official repair manual didn't even have steps for it. I wish it only took three days. The car was down for over a month as I did a few other things at the same time and had to order parts multiple times.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »
This is huge for us!  So we have a 2008 Scion xB that has had a nagging problem since we bought it used 4 years ago.  Three dashboard lights go off -- Check Engine, VSC, and Trac Off.  These three lights are coupled together and can go off for a wide variety of reasons.  They go off so frequently in these older Scions that owners call them the "Three Stooges."  The car runs beautifully, by the way. 

Every time these Stooge lights would go off, we would try to figure out the problem.  We'd have the error codes read (various evaporation problem codes) and consult with mechanics.  We've had that darned car in the shop three times in the past two years.  Each time the mechanics said they looked at it, but were unable to figure it out.  The mechanics just advised to keep driving the car and not worry about it.

Last week we had finally had enough, and DH devoted his whole attention to it.  He did a deep research dive online, and narrowed the problem down to two suspects:  one of the evap valve solenoids, and the vapor canister.   He took out the unit with the solenoid, and tested that.  Seemed to be ok.  He then took out the vapor canister and lo and behold there was a small crack in it!  The replacement canister runs about $800.  DH did more research and decided to try to fix the existing canister.  He got a special sealant that is graded to resist gas and gas fumes, and made the repair.  The canister then held a vacuum!  He reassembled everything, and lo and behold -- no dash lights.   Good bye Three Stooges!!!  And thank you internet and Youtube.

Even if the repaired canister eventually fails, I feel like this whole process was a huge win.  We can always buy a replacement part and DH can install it, saving big $.  And we learned a lot.

Nice fix!  Did you pull any codes before repair (related to the EVAP issue)?  I fixed the same problem a few weeks ago for a friends 2011 Scion xB...  All of the same lights, but I suspected a cruddy, snow, ice and salt (new rock band?) fouled ABS sensor...  A few car wash wands of hot soapy water to the back of the rear brake-plate = all gone.  Follow-up with dielectric grease to make the 'repair' complete.

While on the topic, now is a good time to inspect and perhaps service the fuel-filler area.  Rust and crap can build up where the caps gasket makes contact, and throw a code.  I will plug up the tube below this area, clean real well with plain steel wool, vac out the area of steel wool and crud, and remove the towel plugging the fill tube.  Now it's time to inspect the gas caps gasket/'O'-ring.  I will remove it, clean real well and replace it flipped over from its orig position.  Will also add a very light coating of the same dielectric grease, and marvel at how much better it feels and works.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
  I did it on my 1991 Toyota Supra.... Heater core replacement can be a huge pain.

I'll be blunt...  FUCK THAT!  I can hardly think of a repair I HATE to do more than this, even in older cars.  Coolant mess, broken brittle parts, no room to work, dash removal at times needing contortionist skills not even Cirque du Soleil could muster, mess inside car/carpet, etc, etc.  I used to bypass the core by tying in the two hoses with a barbed connector for as long as I could, to not have to do the repair.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
^ Sure @HipGnosis, it is Permatex Form-A-Gasket sealant, #2 Non-hardening formula.  We got it at AutoZone.

I'll be really interested to see how long this fix holds.  If and when it fails we can replace the whole part, but you never know -- it might last a long time.  The main joy is that we found the problem.
Thanks

And... definite congrats on a truely badass(ity) job!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
Nice fix!  Did you pull any codes before repair (related to the EVAP issue)? 

Yes, the codes we pulled were for minor and major evap leaks.  Speaking of pulling the codes, just yesterday we bought our own OBD reader.  It was $35, and will save us the trips to AutoZone in the future.

Were the codes on your friend's Scion different? (Sounds like it?)  You're a great friend to help him fix that.  And thanks for the tip on servicing the fuel filling area -- will do.  I've read that problems there (crud, gas cap not fitting well, etc) can throw the same Evap codes.  Our Scion has a replacement gas cap, and I've wondered if we shouldn't get a manufacturer-made gas cap just to know that it's fitting as it should. 

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
  I did it on my 1991 Toyota Supra.... Heater core replacement can be a huge pain.

I'll be blunt...  FUCK THAT!  I can hardly think of a repair I HATE to do more than this, even in older cars.  Coolant mess, broken brittle parts, no room to work, dash removal at times needing contortionist skills not even Cirque du Soleil could muster, mess inside car/carpet, etc, etc.  I used to bypass the core by tying in the two hoses with a barbed connector for as long as I could, to not have to do the repair.

One thing we did to make the job of taking out the whole dash of the truck a bit easier was to take the seats out. Gave us tons more space to work.

We noticed that the heater core was bad in the spring that year. So we decided to bypass the heater core (cut it off from the rest of the system) it for a while as we did not need heat in the truck at that time. Then we spent a few months thinking about it and researching how to fix it. We did the job in Oct before it got cold.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
Nice fix!  Did you pull any codes before repair (related to the EVAP issue)? 

Yes, the codes we pulled were for minor and major evap leaks.  Speaking of pulling the codes, just yesterday we bought our own OBD reader.  It was $35, and will save us the trips to AutoZone in the future.

Were the codes on your friend's Scion different? (Sounds like it?)  You're a great friend to help him fix that.  And thanks for the tip on servicing the fuel filling area -- will do.  I've read that problems there (crud, gas cap not fitting well, etc) can throw the same Evap codes.  Our Scion has a replacement gas cap, and I've wondered if we shouldn't get a manufacturer-made gas cap just to know that it's fitting as it should.

Thank you for the kind words, and you're most welcome.  It sure is nice to have an OBD scan tool, and I'd feel naked w/o one.  Of course it can only do so much, and for a lot of other needed repairs/diagnoses, an actual OEM scanner will pretty much be needed...  Like TSB's/update computer re-flashes, transmission shift logic re-flashes, fuel mapping, etc.  These were good $$$ when I worked Toyota service  - One book hr was what it paid, took 10 minutes to do.

As for my friends xB I did not pull any codes; Prior experience with the situation under the conditions it happened, compelled me to the solution.  Not sure if you bought a corded/non-corded OBD II scanner, but all I use anymore is the paid for Torque ap for Android, along with a BAFX Bluetooth OBD II scan tool:

https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader

I like this combo real well, and can also use my Windows laptop as well.  Lots of fakes out there, so IMO be careful.  Used another ap when I had a windows phone, and it worked well too.  As for an OEM fuel cap, you used to be able to purchase just the OEM gasket/O-ring; Maybe you still can, and it would make sense if the rest of the caps ratcheting mechanism and venting control valve work A-OK.  Good luck, and again great work you did there car Doc!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »

One thing we did to make the job of taking out the whole dash of the truck a bit easier was to take the seats out. Gave us tons more space to work.

We noticed that the heater core was bad in the spring that year. So we decided to bypass the heater core (cut it off from the rest of the system) it for a while as we did not need heat in the truck at that time. Then we spent a few months thinking about it and researching how to fix it. We did the job in Oct before it got cold.

Seat removal is a great tip, and awfully helpful for other PITA repairs like replacing clutch slave cylinders, certain pedals, under dash electrical issues (mouse damage)...  Esp for me, my size, and just plain getting older with less flexibility.  But I gotta reiterate; Even if heater cores were a breeze, I hate the cloyingly nasty smell of coolant, the nasty feel of the stuff, and cleaning it out of carpet, noise  suppressing felt that never gets it all, my work clothes, etc.   

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
But I gotta reiterate; Even if heater cores were a breeze, I hate the cloyingly nasty smell of coolant, the nasty feel of the stuff, and cleaning it out of carpet, noise  suppressing felt that never gets it all, my work clothes, etc.

I don't recall any coolant messes when I replaced our heater core. Especially not in the interior or on my clothes.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »
But I gotta reiterate; Even if heater cores were a breeze, I hate the cloyingly nasty smell of coolant, the nasty feel of the stuff, and cleaning it out of carpet, noise  suppressing felt that never gets it all, my work clothes, etc.

I don't recall any coolant messes when I replaced our heater core. Especially not in the interior or on my clothes.

I must be star crossed...  I repaired ones that slow leaked inside the cabin, or my favorite (sic), ones that blew (at the inlet neck was a real treat), spewing its contents all over the place, soaking said materials.  Of course, I repaired other folks vehicles, and them being proactive, even reactive was not always in the cards...  Same folks with 20k/never oil changes, no coolant changes, etc.  My own vehicles, not so much.  I'm very glad to no longer turn wrenches in exchange for $$$.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 03:06:18 PM »
It sure is nice to have an OBD scan tool, and I'd feel naked w/o one.  Of course it can only do so much, and for a lot of other needed repairs/diagnoses, an actual OEM scanner will pretty much be needed... 

Understood!  We'll see how far this 'el cheapo' scanner can get us, and if we hit a wall then we know it's time to consult the pros.  :)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
I feel like this is a Badassity Trifecta:

1) Researching and physically troubleshooting the problem yourself
2) Getting past the "It's broke, let's replace it" and fixing the existing part yourself
3) Having the solution cost only $25!!

Nicely done *holds up glass in a salute*

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
It sure is nice to have an OBD scan tool, and I'd feel naked w/o one.  Of course it can only do so much, and for a lot of other needed repairs/diagnoses, an actual OEM scanner will pretty much be needed... 

Understood!  We'll see how far this 'el cheapo' scanner can get us, and if we hit a wall then we know it's time to consult the pros.  :)

Cool.  If you might go to a BT wireless adapter in the future, this one looks very, very nice, and is almost pro level.

https://caristaapp.com/

Lots more features and abilities than my current OBD2 one can achieve, esp if you have a newer vehicle.  For $20, it seems an amazing value if it truly does as it claims it can.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 07:06:26 AM »

Cool.  If you might go to a BT wireless adapter in the future, this one looks very, very nice, and is almost pro level.

Lots more features and abilities than my current OBD2 one can achieve, esp if you have a newer vehicle.  For $20, it seems an amazing value if it truly does as it claims it can.

So our scanner came, @Holyoak -- and it is not as good as the one you recommended.  Plus if I can believe the prices I'm seeing online, it actually cost more.  So we're sending this one back and going with your recommendation.  Thanks!!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
Welcome Trifele, which scan tool are you going with?  I think the:

May require some subscription service to unlock all features upon further research, so may be way over-kill for a lot of common needs. 

The one I currently have, and mentioned prior:

https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader

Continues to do great work when paired with a good Android/W10 laptop/i-phone program via Bluetooth.  Good luck, and continued great auto repair you seem to have a knack for.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 10:46:23 AM »
I ordered the BAFX Pro, and we will get the Torque Android app

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
I ordered the BAFX Pro, and we will get the Torque Android app

Outstanding...  I think you will love them both, esp the pro version of Torque (totally worth the $4.99 cost).  You can also use Torque on PC/PC laptop, which is nice if you need a bit larger screen. 

Here is a link that may help, if you want to add Torque to your PC:

https://www.mobileyouth.org/torque-pro-windows-details-download/

And a screen shot from my PC of Torque Pro:

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »
I'll let you know how we get on with it.   You're the man, @Holyoak.  ;)

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
Thanks,  made me chuckle Trifele...  You da mechanic, and you gonna really a-like your newa gear...  Amazing what it can do, and you will actually enjoy using it.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 05:49:52 AM »
I'm shocked at how cheap the options are.  About 8 or 9 years ago my brother spent something like $150 for a scanner/reader.  I don't know the brand or the specifics, but from what he says his equipment can do way less than the current BAFX reader paired with the Torque app.  I guess that's a great example of technology improving and getting cheaper.   

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
I'm shocked at how cheap the options are.  About 8 or 9 years ago my brother spent something like $150 for a scanner/reader.  I don't know the brand or the specifics, but from what he says his equipment can do way less than the current BAFX reader paired with the Torque app.  I guess that's a great example of technology improving and getting cheaper.   

The live results are cool, and not too laggy...  Freeze frame is great, as is the graphing mode.  Can do MPG estimates, accelerometer, route mapping, acceleration times, CO2 output, can add tons of external plug-ins, etc, etc.  Of course most folks I think get it initially to simply clear a code; but after you play with it for awhile you see how much it can do, and do well. 

One bit of advice is the reader will draw juice while plugged in, vehicle off - Long enough, and your battery will go flat.  Do wish they had included an on/off switch (some people add one), and that the unit was a bit smaller.  Also, the BT pairing code for the scan tool is "1234".  Looking forward to a report if you can.  Not that all Amazon ratings are genuine, but boy does this reader have a strong rating, with a lot of users (11,000+):

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005NLQAHS

Ders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
Congrats!

DIY car repair is one great feeling especially when you aren't a "car" person. I just had something similar on my 2005 Infiniti G35 happen, but it ended being the cam shift sensor. It was scary with so many symbols lighting up, but it ended up being about $70 for the part and 20 minutes of my time. Luckily it was on the passengers side of the motor or it would've been more intrusive, but I still felt on top of the world after!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 02:43:51 AM »
Congrats!

DIY car repair is one great feeling especially when you aren't a "car" person. I just had something similar on my 2005 Infiniti G35 happen, but it ended being the cam shift sensor. It was scary with so many symbols lighting up, but it ended up being about $70 for the part and 20 minutes of my time. Luckily it was on the passengers side of the motor or it would've been more intrusive, but I still felt on top of the world after!

Yes!!  Great fix @Ders.  Good to know that fix is possible for DIY