Author Topic: Starbucks anyone?  (Read 6660 times)

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
Starbucks anyone?
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
I wrote a colleague, who's moving out of state, a glowing letter of recommendation. She sent me a Thank You card in the mail with a $15 Starbucks gift card.  Totally unexpected, but very thoughtful of her.

I'm not a huge SBX fan, but my kids love "frappuccinos". We traveled out of town for Easter weekend, and made a pit stop along the way. I used the entire $15 on three of those stupid frappes. Lady at the counter said I should 'register' the gift card and I'd get a free drink for signing up.

Ok, so I go through the hassle of registering online. Waited a day, and no "free drink" reward posted to my account. I sent corporate an email complaining about the fact that after all my hassle, I didn't even get a free drink!

Customer service wrote me back a few days later saying it takes up to one week for the 'free drink' to post to your account; however, for my inconvenience they added two additional free drinks to the card. Further, my birthday is May 1st and they said I'd get yet another free drink for my B-day. So that brings my total to 4.

THEN I got a credit card reward in the mail: $25 Starbucks card!

THEN my boss came into work today and handed me a Venti Vanilla Latte. 

Gee whiz....I've got free Starbucks coming out my arse!

Not sure if this is really a "share your badassity" post since I put almost no effort whatsoever into all this damn coffee...but considering most people trip over themselves for shit like this, I found it pretty amusing.

SaintM

Re: Starbucks anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »
I haven't had coffee since 2009.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Ha! I too find it pretty funny! Just careful...wouldn't want to start a new (expensive) habit! ;)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
They're like the corner drug pusher from the after school special.  "The first one is free"  [evil laugh]

Or in this case, I guess it's more like the first 10 are free. 

sweetkerryline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Barlow Street
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »
During my recent financial "audit", I had to have a real "come to Jesus" moment regarding how much I was spending on coffee. Now I have to make it at home ... it taste similar enough I suppose (she begrudgingly added).

I wrote a colleague, who's moving out of state, a glowing letter of recommendation. She sent me a Thank You card in the mail with a $15 Starbucks gift card.  Totally unexpected, but very thoughtful of her.

I'm not a huge SBX fan, but my kids love "frappuccinos". We traveled out of town for Easter weekend, and made a pit stop along the way. I used the entire $15 on three of those stupid frappes. Lady at the counter said I should 'register' the gift card and I'd get a free drink for signing up.

Ok, so I go through the hassle of registering online. Waited a day, and no "free drink" reward posted to my account. I sent corporate an email complaining about the fact that after all my hassle, I didn't even get a free drink!

Customer service wrote me back a few days later saying it takes up to one week for the 'free drink' to post to your account; however, for my inconvenience they added two additional free drinks to the card. Further, my birthday is May 1st and they said I'd get yet another free drink for my B-day. So that brings my total to 4.

THEN I got a credit card reward in the mail: $25 Starbucks card!

THEN my boss came into work today and handed me a Venti Vanilla Latte. 

Gee whiz....I've got free Starbucks coming out my arse!

Not sure if this is really a "share your badassity" post since I put almost no effort whatsoever into all this damn coffee...but considering most people trip over themselves for shit like this, I found it pretty amusing.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »
Sounds like fun.  Enjoy, but don't forget to stop when it starts costing money again.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 08:07:45 AM »
Heh. Enjoy the free stuff and don't get hooked! My boyfriend enjoys Starbucks, and while he's coming around on the subject of saving and investing, I don't expect the coffee habit to go away. He gets us both lattes every Saturday and Sunday. Now I'm more or less addicted too, although I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

I do occasionally go to Panera when a friend wants to go. Somehow my Panera Card got a reward of a free cup of brewed coffee every day in April. I have no desire to got to Panera that much, and am not about to get sucked in. I handed the card to my boyfriend for him to use all month. He'll use the free coffee and it may eliminate his solo Starbucks runs this month.

adgmustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
Instead of expensive coffee, you should order the Aeropress from their website!  Make great coffee at home.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Sounds like fun.  Enjoy, but don't forget to stop when it starts costing money again.

Meh..got the gift cards in my wallet. I pass right by Starbucks EVERY DAY on my way to work. I look at the clowns in their cars in the drive thru and think...soooo not worth it. No twitch..no desire...I just think of the hassle and irritation of ordering and waiting it.

I'll probably just regift these to my friends/relatives...

ColorOfCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 08:39:22 PM »
I bought a Bonavita coffee maker, coffee now tastes just like Starbucks but no line. Yes, it's a fancypants machine, but wipes away excuses to go there.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Nice going on all the freebies!

Starbucks seems to be the default for informal career/networking gatherings. Hubby and I share one registered card (app on iPhone), so when there I get the $1+ regular coffee.  After 12 visits or on my birthday we go together and order a huge Frappucino to share (they're about $7, which I'm not normally willing to pay.)

Instead of the free drink, in Canada you can also go to Teavana and get an ounce of loose tea (their stuff is pretty fancy pants but I like it plenty if it's free!)

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
I've got to admit...I'm a little jealous. I don't go (often) but could certain work my way through a bunch of free drinks!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »
I get starbucks about 1-2 times a week, and another fancy coffee place about 1-3 times every 2 weeks. More of a networking thing than anything, I always get a small black coffee.

But this week I was getting off the train and there were people taking a 4 question survey for a $5 starbucks gift card. That will get me about 2.5 free coffees. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:12:38 AM »
My GF used to be a SB fanatic until I showed her the MMM blog about becoming a millionaire $10 at a time.

I had the occasional coffee or tea there when I was with her. I just never found they tasted very good. I'm talking espresso or black tea....I never went for the fancy flavoured options as that seemed like desert.

If someone gave me a $25 SB gift card I'd use it to buy one of their travel mugs. I got one for X'mas a few years ago and it's a nice design that doesn't leak in my backpack.

-- Vik

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 07:41:24 AM »

I had the occasional coffee or tea there when I was with her. I just never found they tasted very good. I'm talking espresso or black tea.

Their plain coffee isn't bad. I'd rank it right below McDonalds and Dunkin. Which is not an insult.

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
 I'd rank it right below McDonalds

Actually, McDonalds coffee is really pretty good, and only costs $1.  I normally brew my own, but when we're out (travelling usually) and I'm needing coffee McD's is the place I look for.  Haven't been to SBX in years, although DD loves it...I think it's a teenager thing.  The other downside of those frappicinos, or whatever the hell they are called, is that they have like 600 calories in them.  Basically a coffee flavored milk shake. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:03:59 AM by Kansas Beachbum »

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »
Heh. Enjoy the free stuff and don't get hooked! My boyfriend enjoys Starbucks, and while he's coming around on the subject of saving and investing, I don't expect the coffee habit to go away. He gets us both lattes every Saturday and Sunday. Now I'm more or less addicted too, although I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

I do occasionally go to Panera when a friend wants to go. Somehow my Panera Card got a reward of a free cup of brewed coffee every day in April. I have no desire to got to Panera that much, and am not about to get sucked in. I handed the card to my boyfriend for him to use all month. He'll use the free coffee and it may eliminate his solo Starbucks runs this month.

A co-worker gave me a Dunkin Donuts card for X-mas and one day, and as I was riding to work down a Multi Use Trail I came across (we chatted) a new commuter that was riding a long way in order to save $$.  I gave him the card and said ENJOY!  I hope I didn't get him hooked??  Anyway, I ride and walk past a DD and SBX twice daily, sometimes with a gift card in my pocket, and I don't stop in.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 07:35:30 AM »
I like a frappacino when I'm traveling for work.  But between the calories and cost, I will never buy one on my own!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!