Author Topic: Spent money to save money (a little bit)  (Read 4817 times)

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Spent money to save money (a little bit)
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
So, my birthday was last month. When my wife asked me what I wanted, "extra money paid on debt" wasn't well-received, so I said nothing, which irritated her.

She has been grooming me for ideas for Father's Day, so I beat her to the punch, and bought The Complete Tightwad Gazette for $6. Knowing that she would see the charge, I sent her an email telling her I got it... and she accepted this as my late birthday/father's day/anniversary present.

Being that she would insist on a card ($6 at least) along with dinner out ($100) and a few presents (~), I call this a win/win. We're far from FI at the moment, so it's the little things at the moment... :)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Spent money to save money (a little bit)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:25:07 AM »
Baby steps Bob, baby steps.

I tried to get cleaning/decluttering as my gift for some event one year - that didn't work....

Good luck on your journey!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:35:17 PM by G-dog »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Brilliant move! 

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »
"extra money paid on debt" wasn't well-received, so I said nothing, which irritated her.

I think it was a pretty good suggestion... but I guess she wanted to get something out of the ordinary

Did you have "the talk" with your wife? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/25/having-the-talk-with-a-current-or-potential-mate/

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
"extra money paid on debt" wasn't well-received, so I said nothing, which irritated her.

I think it was a pretty good suggestion... but I guess she wanted to get something out of the ordinary

Did you have "the talk" with your wife? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/25/having-the-talk-with-a-current-or-potential-mate/

I tried to have the talk with her... she calls MMM "that whackjob website"... but she's slowly, unknowingly converting *rubs hands together and laughs*

I'm going to leave the book in the bathroom after I'm done reading it, as I know she will secretly read it, and maybe come up with some ideas :D

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
tell her to watch this valentine's day google doodle:
http://www.google.com/doodles/valentines-day-2012

maybe that would help.
=)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
I spent to (hopefully) save today.  I'm a runner, and have collapsed arches (really flat feet). After my last 21k I thought I had broken both knees, the pain was so bad. I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Mizuno Wave paradigms, which are designed for runners with severe flat feet. On sale for $170 (down from $240). That is approximately the cost of my last 5 pairs of runners combined. But, I suppose, its cheaper than a double knee reconstruction!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:10:42 AM »
I spent to (hopefully) save today.  I'm a runner, and have collapsed arches (really flat feet). After my last 21k I thought I had broken both knees, the pain was so bad. I finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of Mizuno Wave paradigms, which are designed for runners with severe flat feet. On sale for $170 (down from $240). That is approximately the cost of my last 5 pairs of runners combined. But, I suppose, its cheaper than a double knee reconstruction!

Let us know if these work. Have you also looked in to checking/changing your running style, there are some advocates that say a heel strike running style causes much of the pain and damage runners experience. Good luck.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 06:20:14 AM »
Enjoy the shoes - and try biking :-)

jfisher3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

I have incredibly flat feet too, so I'm going to have to look into this :) Thanks for the info.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
I get this problem very single year.  So Now I just ask for the next few items on my list of cost reducing improvements or stuff that I need to/will buy anyways.

Some gifts I've asked for this year:
-Programmable Thermostat
-LED light bulbs
-crockpot with timer (last one didn't have a timer, I'm going big time here!)
-Big steak for me to cook for dinner (forces her to stay home, and I get steak!)
-stuff for my hobbies that I would buy anyways (very specific including links)
-tools that are wearing out (again with links)
-fruit trees/bushes (if you don't plan to move for awhile)

And my personal favorite - new 'guts' for a toilet, complete with the low flow #1 European flush and the normal #2 flush.  I got eye rolls when that was on my Christmas list.