Author Topic: A long way from badass, but...  (Read 3018 times)

Bookworm

A long way from badass, but...
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
I just rode my bike for the first time, and made it 20 minutes (3.6 miles RT).  There are SO many hills here, but the nearest area with a market, library, post office, etc. is 4 miles away each way, so if I'm ever going to make it there, I'm going to have to conquer these hills!  I'm definitely not at that point yet, as I feel completely ragged after this short distance.

I hope this "Oh man, I think I'm going to lose my breakfast" feeling is just me being out of shape and will eventually stop happening...at least it is offset by the fact that I feel ridiculously proud of myself.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: A long way from badass, but...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
Good for you, Bookworm!  I have yet to dust off my bike in the garage for the same reason!  I live in a hilly area and there is one huge hill right before my house and I am terrified of it. I see people walking their bikes up it all the time.  Keep us posted as your fitness improves!

Bookworm

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
Good for you, Bookworm!  I have yet to dust off my bike in the garage for the same reason!  I live in a hilly area and there is one huge hill right before my house and I am terrified of it. I see people walking their bikes up it all the time.  Keep us posted as your fitness improves!

I totally walked up the last hill to my house.  Maybe someday my quads will be worthy of that hill, haha!

MidwestGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
Awesome work, keep it up!  Where I live is deceptively hilly.  I switched to clipless pedals so my feet were essentially stuck to the bike, which makes it hard to want to stop and walk too much.  At first it was terrible, but I kept playing the "one more" game.  Pick a spot up a short distance ahead, then when you reach it, pick another one.  You can think to yourself that it's just X more pedal strokes, then X more...sometimes breaking things up into small chunks makes it seem more manageable.

San

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
Awesome work, keep it up!  Where I live is deceptively hilly.  I switched to clipless pedals so my feet were essentially stuck to the bike, which makes it hard to want to stop and walk too much.  At first it was terrible, but I kept playing the "one more" game.  Pick a spot up a short distance ahead, then when you reach it, pick another one.  You can think to yourself that it's just X more pedal strokes, then X more...sometimes breaking things up into small chunks makes it seem more manageable.

That was how I made it through a recent ride - discovered a mile and a half incline that I never noticed when I was in the car. Was riding on the trike with my daughter in a front seat, and hardware in the back basket. I had never before wanted so badly to quit and call someone to pick us up. That 'just until the next X' was what got us through it. It's good advice.

And good for you! Hills are the worst, but they make us more awesome, so it's worth it (? I keep telling myself that!)