Author Topic: removed  (Read 288002 times)

Ms Independent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2015, 04:19:44 PM »
Really interested in this, but have never played any of these credit card travel games before.

In the first post, I noticed there was a do-something-by-Jan.-2015 deadline. That's no longer possible. Is this deal still worth taking advantage of if I'd only now be signing up for the cards? Also -- does it make sense for 1 person to sign up for 2 cards, or for 2 people to sign up for 2 cards?

Apologies for utterly amateur inquiries ... and thanks!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Really interested in this, but have never played any of these credit card travel games before.

In the first post, I noticed there was a do-something-by-Jan.-2015 deadline. That's no longer possible. Is this deal still worth taking advantage of if I'd only now be signing up for the cards? Also -- does it make sense for 1 person to sign up for 2 cards, or for 2 people to sign up for 2 cards?

Apologies for utterly amateur inquiries ... and thanks!
The January 2015 thing was brought up because that was posted in December, and to get the most use of the companion pass, you'd want the points to post in January. If you signed up for the cards right now, you wouldn't have to worry about this, as it is 2015 already.

The 50k bonus points on the plus and premier are still available here: https://creditcards.chase.com/6000321?CELL=6PLT (the link is for the Plus, and below you can find the links for the Premier and Business Premier).

EDIT: There's a lot of great info in this thread. But if you don't want to have to trudge through the entire thread, there's a nice guide on the pass here: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-southwest-companion-pass/

Ms Independent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

EDIT: There's a lot of great info in this thread. But if you don't want to have to trudge through the entire thread, there's a nice guide on the pass here: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-southwest-companion-pass/

Many thanks -- the thread is indeed long, and I may get to the trudging, but this will help with the initial resistance to that.

schmiecs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
When we applied for the cards, we got one with 50K points and one with 25K points. I was able to call Chase and have them change the bonus on the 25K cards to be 50K, after I'd met the spend.

I've been hitting the spends on all 4 cards (and to meet the companion points) by buying myself $500 gift cards to my grocery store. They don't expire, and I know I'll use them all up eventually.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
When we applied for the cards, we got one with 50K points and one with 25K points. I was able to call Chase and have them change the bonus on the 25K cards to be 50K, after I'd met the spend.

I've been hitting the spends on all 4 cards (and to meet the companion points) by buying myself $500 gift cards to my grocery store. They don't expire, and I know I'll use them all up eventually.
Are you buying grocery gc's or visa gc's?

If you're interested in using visa gift cards to pay off the southwest cc's, you can signup for an Amex serve to do this. You can reload the Amex serve at Walmart with your visa gc's, and then use the Serve's bill pay function to pay off the Southwest CC's

schmiecs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
I'm just buying the grocery ones - is there any advantage to the other way? It sounds more complicated.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »
I'm just buying the grocery ones - is there any advantage to the other way? It sounds more complicated.
It is certainly more complicated. The upside is that you're not floating hundreds of dollars in gift cards, and can still invest that money.
Having to wait in lines at Walmart is a significant downside. I can avoid this because I'm a grad student and I don't have to be in the lab at any specific hours, other than the occasional meeting.

But actually, easier way - you can load the Amex Serve online using your Southwest CC, and then use it to pay off other credit cards (I wouldn't recommend paying off the same CC you use to load Amex Serve though - I haven't heard reports of people getting shut down for this but it just seems way too obvious). Or, pay off other bills (there's a whole bunch listed, including some mortgages I think).

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
Achieved the companion pass on the website this evening. Added my companion to my flight for March! Very exciting to finally get to the finish line on this one.

Does anyone know if they still send out those drink coupons?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:00:32 PM by kudy »

Frugal Consumerist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Consumerist
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2015, 10:30:24 AM »
I got 4 in the mail in late January. I proceeded to lose them before the end of the week.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
If you're flying together, you should be able to check both in together.

Keep in mind whatever spot you get: you'll end up in the same place regardless.  No need to panic.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »
yeah i think the two different confirmation numbers threw me off.  so I can just check myself in with my number and that checks my wife in too?

That should work, yes.  If it doesn't, check her in separately.  Either way it takes about 30 seconds to check in (2 minutes if you haven't done it recently and read through everything), so it's not a big deal if you do have to do it separately for some reason.  But you shouldn't.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »
yeah i think the two different confirmation numbers threw me off.  so I can just check myself in with my number and that checks my wife in too?

That should work, yes.  If it doesn't, check her in separately.  Either way it takes about 30 seconds to check in (2 minutes if you haven't done it recently and read through everything), so it's not a big deal if you do have to do it separately for some reason.  But you shouldn't.

I've always had to check each of us in separately. When you check in the first person it won't give you the companion's boarding pass so you'll see you need to check in separately. Like ARS said though, it takes about 30 seconds so don't worry about it.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
@tyd50, the river walk is pretty cool.

Ms Independent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:56 AM »
Thanks for all the help & discussion so far. I just applied for a Premier and a Plus card. The Premier was approved instantly ... the Plus is pending review. I applied for them about a minute apart. Why would the responses be different? Any call for concern? (Credit score excellent ...)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help & discussion so far. I just applied for a Premier and a Plus card. The Premier was approved instantly ... the Plus is pending review. I applied for them about a minute apart. Why would the responses be different? Any call for concern? (Credit score excellent ...)
Typically there is a limit on how much credit any one institution is willing to I grant you. If you already have other cards from Chase that might be what's happening (and typically you can reallocate credit from your other cards to get around this) . Regardless of what the real reason is though, you should call their reconsideration line to resolve it. I'd link you a page with all the recon numbers but I'm on mobile. It should come up quickly from Google though.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

you have to check in both separately i do this all the time.

as to the drink ticket statement ... you will get 4 per CC per year. 

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
as to the drink ticket statement ... you will get 4 per CC per year.

Are you serious? How have I never heard of this perk? I should be getting the Companion Pass after two more billing cycles and I'm so psyched.

someday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:55 PM »
Entering our 3rd year of SW CP

First two years were under me, next two under the SO.  We use it religiously on a monthly basis to fly up and down CA to see the SO's family and friends up in the bay area.

Here are my tips on how to maximize free flights with SW:

1.  Book in advance  Flights are typically booked when there's a sale, and periodically checked and re-checked for any price adjustments.  Since awards can be cancelled without penalty, its a no-brainer to book far in advance when there's a nice sale.  Just make sure you don't book the companion until the last minute as it's much more difficult to get points credited back when a companion has been added.

2.  Reduce your total travel cost.  Outside of hotels and car rentals at your destination (if needed), there is the basic cost of getting to the airport.  I live 15 minutes away from LAX, and ride my motorcycle to catch flights.  Motorcycles park free in the central terminal, meaning no airport parking shuttle transfers.  Just walk across the street and you're into the terminal.  Having friends drop you off or taking public transportation also helps reduce this cost.

3.  Credit cards can help you travel more efficiently, comfortably, and even cheaper.  I have the Amex Plat card - annual fee is $450 but it comes with lounge access, plus $200 flight travel credit which I use each calendar year to buy $200 worth of southwest gift cards.  These gift cards are then used in turn to pay for the $5.60 TSA fee for each award ticket.  The Amex Plat also gave free global entry, which means free TSA Pre Check status that allows you to breeze by security lines, good for 5 years.  There's the Citi Prestige that I'll be switching to avoid having to pay the Amex Plat annual fee again this year.  It's $350 a year for the Prestige, but also comes with another global entry fee reimbursement (will use for MIL), lounge access, and $250 per calendar year flight credit (also to buy southwest giftcards), along with some nice sign up bonuses and other perks.  Not having to deal with security at the airport, and hanging out in the lounge, and having the benefits of a premium credit card at basically no cost when you factor in the flight credits, is pretty nice. 

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
Just make sure you don't book the companion until the last minute as it's much more difficult to get points credited back when a companion has been added.

Thanks for this info, did not know this! Is there something specific about it that makes it hard? Is it just a longer wait for the refunded points?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
My awards points balance on my last billing cycle (Feb. 13th) hit 110,703 points. AWESOME. Time to call the customer service line and add my wife as my companion!

Except...

Not all of those 110,703 points count towards the companion pass. SO, how many counted? 109,939. I'm 61 points shy!!!!

Now I have to wait until the next billing cycle (Mar. 13th) before my companion pass will be activated.

The worst part? I was filling the tank on my work truck (Semi truck with 120gl diesel tanks), and ONLY put $150 in it (as the pump stopped short at a $150 limit.) I could have simply ran the card again and put another $100+ dollars on the card. And I NEARLY did, but decided not to bother. Had I been more aware, I would have known I was short of the 110k limit.

Oh well, I wasn't planning any flights within the next 3.5 weeks anyway, but I was still bummed!!!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »
Here are my tips on how to maximize free flights with SW:

1.  Book in advance.  Flights are typically booked when there's a sale, and periodically checked and re-checked for any price adjustments.  Since awards can be cancelled without penalty, its a no-brainer to book far in advance when there's a nice sale.  Just make sure you don't book the companion until the last minute as it's much more difficult to get points credited back when a companion has been added.

Can I get some collaborate info on this? If I book a ticket with my rewards points TODAY  for a flight in JULY, and come May the ticket price is cheaper, I can simply cancel my previously booked flight and then re-book at that time? Essentially a free cancellation policy that is nearly guaranteed to get me the best price possible (in rewards points) as long as I spent the time to follow up and check for future price discounts?

To follow that up. Since the companion flies for free on the companion pass, you can add your companion to your flight at any time? As long as there is still a seat available on that flight I assume? Do you run the risk of not getting your companion on the same flight as you if you wait too long to add your companion to your flight?

I'm looking at booking a flight in July to southern Mexico or the Caribbean and don't want to mess it up, but flights are much cheaper now than later.

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Can I get some collaborate info on this? If I book a ticket with my rewards points TODAY  for a flight in JULY, and come May the ticket price is cheaper, I can simply cancel my previously booked flight and then re-book at that time? Essentially a free cancellation policy that is nearly guaranteed to get me the best price possible (in rewards points) as long as I spent the time to follow up and check for future price discounts?

To follow that up. Since the companion flies for free on the companion pass, you can add your companion to your flight at any time? As long as there is still a seat available on that flight I assume? Do you run the risk of not getting your companion on the same flight as you if you wait too long to add your companion to your flight?

Yes, you can definitely do free cancellations if you book with points. Essentially, SW will always "refund" you a ticket in the form of SW credit, which in this case is points. So if you book with points you can get those points refunded if you decide to cancel or change the ticket.

And yes, you can add a companion at any time as long as there are seats available, so do it ASAP. Companion seats are also "refundable" (i.e. you can cancel them at any time because you paid nothing for them.)

someday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
Just make sure you don't book the companion until the last minute as it's much more difficult to get points credited back when a companion has been added.

Thanks for this info, did not know this! Is there something specific about it that makes it hard? Is it just a longer wait for the refunded points?

The way you can reprice an existing ticket is you "modify" your existing flight online.  Basically southwest rebooks you on the flight, and refunds the difference in points.  The process can be completed in a manner of several minutes from your keyboard.

Why I don't like to add the companion pass until about a couple weeks before the flight is because you get an error message when trying to modify your existing flight online to get a refund of points.  Then you have to call in and talk with a representative.  It's not the end of the world, but it's more work for me.

Much easier to just book it for the primary account, then book companion pass the closer you get to the departure date.  My understanding is that with the companion pass, as long as there is ANY seat available (does not need to be in the same fare class that you originally booked (e.g., wanna get away fares, refundable, biz select).  Weekend flights typically are not crazy booked (except maybe the last flight of the evening Sunday has a good amount of business travelers), so this method has worked for me the past 2 years.

There may be an upcoming devaluation of point value to Southwest, although the details are vague at this point.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/southwest-rapid-rewards-devaluation-coming-april-17/

ejw001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Why I don't like to add the companion pass until about a couple weeks before the flight is because you get an error message when trying to modify your existing flight online to get a refund of points.  Then you have to call in and talk with a representative.  It's not the end of the world, but it's more work for me.

You can just cancel the companion ticket, then change the original one, then add companion back on (using the confirmation numbers from the old flights for the credit for the security fees you paid).  Equally annoying but doesn't require a phone call.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Just checked again today, and I am only 400 points shy of the companion pass! I have over 110,000 points, but I guess some didn't count. Also waiting patiently until the next billing cycle :)

The drink tickets are awesome! I didn't know about that.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
I really really want to sign up for the companion pass, but....I would like to do it at the end of this year/beginning of 2016, as we don't have much opportunity for travel this year. Do they do it every year? Is it too risky, and I should just bite the bullet and do it now? I know you can't know for sure what they will do, but if anyone has any insight, I would love to know.

There is definitely no guarantee that the 50K card offers will come back, or that they won't phase out the CP, or whatever-- there's always some degree of risk involved in waiting.  That said, the CP has been around for a number of years, and the 50K offers tend to show up once or twice a year.  Ideally the 50K offers show up at a time of year that allows for the points to post at the start of a year, but if Chase and Southwest get wise to how many people use this method of getting the CP, they could do something like have the 50K offers end by September so that all points would post in that calendar year, preventing the nearly two years of CP status.  Anything is possible.

We also have a lot of major travel planned this year (taking up most of our vacation), so using our CP this year is going to be limited to long weekends and the like... but that's still pretty exciting too.  We're doing a long weekend in Mexico City in May, I'm using some points to go check out some Real Estate Investment markets, etc.  Next year we'll probably use the CP/remaining points for some beach vacations.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
I have the SW Visa card (premier I think). DH had one two years ago, but cancelled after redeeming his points to avoid the annual fee.

Anyway, since it's been 24months+ since he was awarded the bonus, we thought about applying for it again; however it looks like they've reduced the bonus to 25,000?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
I have the SW Visa card (premier I think). DH had one two years ago, but cancelled after redeeming his points to avoid the annual fee.

Anyway, since it's been 24months+ since he was awarded the bonus, we thought about applying for it again; however it looks like they've reduced the bonus to 25,000?
These are generally time-limited offers.  Last year, in addition to the November / December offer, they did this in May.  Possibly other times as well - you just have to keep an eye out for it, if they make this offer again.  I kind of want to do this if it comes up again, but not sure we fly enough to go through convincing my wife on opening more credit cards.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/round-up-of-all-the-current-chase-southwest-bonuses/

It's actually possible to get 110k points with just the signup bonuses right now. Get the Personal Plus via referral (I'm sure somebody on this thread can refer you) or the Personal Premier for 50k. Then get the business Premier for 60k. Boom. Done.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits

Is that a referral link?  As your first post?  If so, dick move.

Edit:  Nope, it's not.  I'm the dick.  Leaving the above for posterity and to acknowledge that I jumped the gun ;)

Benaj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
No referral link just a link to the 50k points signup!
I used it last week to start my rewards miles venture!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
No referral link just a link to the 50k points signup!
I used it last week to start my rewards miles venture!

Thanks Benaj.  Welcome to the forums!

DirtDiva

• Bristles
Chiming in as a successful user- I signed up for Premier and Plus cards in late November.  I had to call the reconsideration line and get some credit from an old card moved to the new Premier card. I  earned 110k points by late January, and have used the Companion Pass and RR points on 4 flights so far.

I've scored a few flights here and there with other frequent flier mile programs (most notably Denver/Vienna/Sarajevo/Denver for a total of $410 in fees this summer) but never with the measure of success I'm having with the Companion Pass and 110,000 Rapid Rewards points.  Good stuff- many thanks to the OP.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Love my Companion Passes!!!

We have gotten it 3 times right now. There are alternate ways to earn CP :)

2012 - DH applied for both CCs and we got the CP for 2012 and 2013

2013 - CP from the year before...started running low on points so applied for 3rd CC (there are 4 as both come in Personal and Business versions). In hindsight, a silly move.

2014 - I wanted a CP but cannot get the CCs since I am Canadian (DH is dual). So both DH and I applied for the Marriott CCs here in Canada. We also transferred DH's Ultimate Reward points (from other CC signups) to my Marriott account and ended up with a boatload of points. Using the combined points from both our Marriott accounts, I redeemed 250,000 Marriott points for 100,000 Southwest points and a 7 night Cat 1-5 Marriott stay. I applied for a Cdn Best Western CC and transferred the signup bonus to Southwest to get me my last 10k SW points. Complicated - but so worth it :)

2015 - We decided 1 CP was good but 2 would be better so BOTH kids travel free! DH applied for the 4th Southwest CC to get 50k points. Then he applied for the Ritz Carlton CC (and paid a hefty annual fee!) to get 140,000 Marriott points. After transferring the last of our Ultimate Reward points, he redeemed 220,000 Marriott points for 70,000 Southwest points plus a 7 night Cat 1-5 Marriott stay.

This is our year of crazy family flights :)

2016 - Only DH will have his CP so focus will be more couple trips. We will likely have to take a break from CP :( after this until we can attempt to churn the same credit card applications. My focus will change to earning American Airline and British Airways points as we have done nothing with either program so far.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache

Yes, you can definitely do free cancellations if you book with points. Essentially, SW will always "refund" you a ticket in the form of SW credit, which in this case is points. So if you book with points you can get those points refunded if you decide to cancel or change the ticket.

And yes, you can add a companion at any time as long as there are seats available, so do it ASAP. Companion seats are also "refundable" (i.e. you can cancel them at any time because you paid nothing for them.)

Can I get some more feedback on changing/canceling international flights? Ie. Seattle-->Cancun? There are $80.99 worth of international travel fees to be paid upon booking the flight for myself. If I decide to change the flight later, or cancel it altogether, will I be refunded the fees along with the points?

DirtDiva

• Bristles
I haven't cancelled an international flight, but due to an unexpected family event I changed a couple of flights. I was refunded all the RR points and the $5.34 fee on each ticket.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
used the doctor of credit link above to apply for both 60,000 business and then used 50,000 premier offer I received in mail.  Business still pending and reconsideration closed d/t weekend.  Premier approved after reconsideration and card expedited to me 1-2 days shipping to use it faster.  WIll call business line this week to see how it is going.  Used http://www.milesdividendmd.com/miles-and-points-travel/ for prep calling reconsideration line,but it was very easy and pleasant and not needed, but better to be prepared.

Ms Independent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Have 60,000 points, waiting on the last 50K to post so we can use CP. In the meantime: We want to purchase a flight with points for Memorial Day weekend. My questions are:
- If we spend points on a flight before hitting 110,000, does that affect points toward CP?
- If we buy flight now with points before we have earned CP, can we still use CP for flight assuming we have earned it before Memorial Day?

Hope that was clear. Thanks in advance for help!

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
Have 60,000 points, waiting on the last 50K to post so we can use CP. In the meantime: We want to purchase a flight with points for Memorial Day weekend. My questions are:
- If we spend points on a flight before hitting 110,000, does that affect points toward CP?
- If we buy flight now with points before we have earned CP, can we still use CP for flight assuming we have earned it before Memorial Day?

Hope that was clear. Thanks in advance for help!

You can use your points now, it won't affect the points accumulated towards CP.
Yes, you can go ahead book the flight now with points. You can add your companion later once you reach CP status. There is a small chance that your flight maybe sold out (including all classes, not just the lowest fare class), but this has never happened to us. I have added my companion a week before the flight during high peak season with no problem.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
And if you do have to cancel/reschedule, SW is the best about that, bar none.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Finally got my companion pass- woohoo! Now to plan some awesome trips :)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
I am late to the game, so I can only find 25,000 pts on the plus card.  I have a link to 50,000 pts on the premier.

Should I just wait until the bonus goes to 50,000?

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
I am late to the game, so I can only find 25,000 pts on the plus card.  I have a link to 50,000 pts on the premier.

That's one option.  Another is to get both the personal and business version of the Premier (your personal situation permitting).

handsnhearts

• Bristles
used the doctor of credit link above to apply for both 60,000 business and then used 50,000 premier offer I received in mail.  Business still pending and reconsideration closed d/t weekend.  Premier approved after reconsideration and card expedited to me 1-2 days shipping to use it faster.  WIll call business line this week to see how it is going.  Used http://www.milesdividendmd.com/miles-and-points-travel/ for prep calling reconsideration line,but it was very easy and pleasant and not needed, but better to be prepared.

I will follow up on the business card today but the premier came in the mail last night with the expedited mail service. Now I can start making the charges to get the points.  If you want the plus card, you have to find someone who can refer you for the 50,000 points.

vagabond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
apologies for being late to the game.
Can I apply for the Personal & business Premier (w/o a business) at the same time for reqd 110k points assuming i am able to spend (3+2k min spend combined ) in first 3 months.
if i apply in apr 2015 , and qualify for the CP with the reqd spending , does that entitle the CP for rest of 2015 and entire 2016.

That's one option.  Another is to get both the personal and business version of the Premier (your personal situation permitting).

nanu

• Bristles
Can I apply for the Personal & business Premier (w/o a business) at the same time for reqd 110k points assuming i am able to spend (3+2k min spend combined ) in first 3 months.
if i apply in apr 2015 , and qualify for the CP with the reqd spending , does that entitle the CP for rest of 2015 and entire 2016.
You do need a business, but that can be anything such as "I do some consulting work on the side but I'm working on ramping it up and want to keep business expenses separate".
Otherwise yes, it will give you the companion pass for the rest of 2015 and all of 2016.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits

You must have a legitimate business to apply for a business card.  That said, what constitutes a business is exclusively the decision of Chase.  Many people apply for and receive business cards with only their side hustle, such as selling things on eBay, etc., and no actual registration of the business.  Such people have been up front with Chase when asked, and not had a problem.  What's acceptable seems to largely be a function of whether the application needs review, and who does the reviewing.

Yes, if you apply in 2015 and hit the spend of both cards, you will get the CP for the remainder of 2015, and all of 2016.

Nikii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Does anyone know if this deal is still available for this CC?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Yes.  Ending in a few days IIRC.