Author Topic: removed  (Read 287988 times)

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #600 on: February 13, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
I am sure in the last 14 pages this has been discussed but can you get the premier business card if you are just a landlord or something else that is pretty small and not so businessy?

Can you use it to buy things or services that are just personal? I guess I could pay the HVAC company when they do their annual maintenance and split up my insurance bill but that is, definitely note enough to hit the required spending.

I suppose it's possible, but we weren't successful. Wife was approved for the Premier card, but when applying for the Business card, was denied because the business showed too little profit (we only have one rental). She was later approved for the Plus card which only had a 25k bonus available at the time, so we still ended up with the companion pass, but it was much harder than if we were approved for the Business card. Since your situation sounds similar to ours, your results might also be similar.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #601 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »
I am sure in the last 14 pages this has been discussed but can you get the premier business card if you are just a landlord or something else that is pretty small and not so businessy?

Can you use it to buy things or services that are just personal? I guess I could pay the HVAC company when they do their annual maintenance and split up my insurance bill but that is, definitely note enough to hit the required spending.

I suppose it's possible, but we weren't successful. Wife was approved for the Premier card, but when applying for the Business card, was denied because the business showed too little profit (we only have one rental). She was later approved for the Plus card which only had a 25k bonus available at the time, so we still ended up with the companion pass, but it was much harder than if we were approved for the Business card. Since your situation sounds similar to ours, your results might also be similar.

Both personal cards (personal premier and personal plus) have 50k bonuses right now, no need for the business one (business premier).  I have referrals, as do other people up thread. PM one of us for it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #602 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »

You can. But there are differences in the benefits. For example, the car rental protection provided by a business cc is generally only extended to cars rented for business use.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: February 14, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »
I'm sure this must have been posted somewhere in this thread but I'm lazy. Can someone give me an idea of how long after you pass the $2000 threshold it typically takes for the points to post? The terms say 6-8 weeks, I think. Has that been everyone's experience here?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #604 on: February 15, 2017, 03:58:02 AM »
I'm sure this must have been posted somewhere in this thread but I'm lazy. Can someone give me an idea of how long after you pass the $2000 threshold it typically takes for the points to post? The terms say 6-8 weeks, I think. Has that been everyone's experience here?

I've had it happen on both cards about two weeks after the statement close where it passed the threshold.  So depends on where in the statement cycle you hit the spend.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #605 on: February 15, 2017, 08:12:49 AM »

I've had it happen on both cards about two weeks after the statement close where it passed the threshold.  So depends on where in the statement cycle you hit the spend.
Yeah - the earlier in your statement cycle you hit the number, the better your odds of getting the bonus miles after that statement.  Last one, we hit the $2K over halfway through the cycle, and it didn't post until the statement after that one.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #606 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
Companion pass for the win!

Just got notified that we hit the 110k this month, so I immediately went online and added myself as the companion to my wife's account. Then canceled the ticket I had reserved with air miles on my other southwest account (whose companion pass has expired).

We're SWIMMING in miles now. It's a joke. Should make for some fun last minute travel plans!

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #607 on: February 27, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »

Just got notified that we hit the 110k this month, so I immediately went online and added myself as the companion to my wife's account. Then canceled the ticket I had reserved with air miles on my other southwest account (whose companion pass has expired).

We're SWIMMING in miles now. It's a joke. Should make for some fun last minute travel plans!

Awesome. I envy you. I am currently working on getting 100K (50K + 50K) from my PREMIER & PLUS. Will have 104K by the end of March hopefully. I still need that additional 6K. We will see how long it will take us to get there.

Congrats.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
Hope they do this again sometime in the future, we would never use it in the next two years, or rarely at best. anywho....

so looking at travel hacking and trying to research all this I have a conundrum.

Which way can you transfer points?

like is it based off of the bank? BoA, chase, etc? That is what I would guess. But what about American Express and discover, they are their own bank and card(?like visa, mastercard etc) but they also have partners. Like the Credit union from my home town has a decent rewards with an american express, so could I transfer from that credit union amex card to other amex cards?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Hope they do this again sometime in the future, we would never use it in the next two years, or rarely at best. anywho....

so looking at travel hacking and trying to research all this I have a conundrum.

Which way can you transfer points?

like is it based off of the bank? BoA, chase, etc? That is what I would guess. But what about American Express and discover, they are their own bank and card(?like visa, mastercard etc) but they also have partners. Like the Credit union from my home town has a decent rewards with an american express, so could I transfer from that credit union amex card to other amex cards?

You have to consider what types of points each card offers. e.g foes your credit union amex offer Amex membership reward points? Or some other kinds of points? e.g. if you have 2 different Amexes that offer Amex Membership Reward points, they are pooled to your same account. But if one offers MR points and the other offers SPG points, they are not pooled. (That said - Amex MR points DO transfer to SPG points so you could transfer and consolidate).

I was working on American Airlines miles last year. So I got:
- 2 AA credit cards
- 2 SPG credit cards
- 1 Amex credit card that offered Amex MR.

My process was:
1. wait for MR to offer a bonus transfer to SPG. When the offer was available, I transferred all my MR points to SPG, scoring a small amount of bonus points.
2. waited for AA to offer a bonus for miles transferred from SPG. When the offer was available, I transferred all my SPG points to AA.
3. Ended up with a nice pile of AA miles so my brother, SIL, and niece had enough for 3 roundtrips from the UK (where they live) to the US this summer for us to vacation together.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Now that hotel transfers are going away, has anyone figured out any alternate way to get another Companion Pass? I really miss ours! We've done it with Southwest CCs twice and once with Miles & Points from Marriott.

We've been super careful about CC applications - but I really don't see how we can possibly manage only 5 apps in 24 months so no Chase cards in the foreseeable future.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
BoA has an visa? Alaska airlines card that has 20k bonus and one roundtrip ticket for $121. I think it was only a $1k spend too. seems like a good deal if you and another have an upcoming expensive flight.

edit; that is a companion pass for $121.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now

Awesome. I envy you. I am currently working on getting 100K (50K + 50K) from my PREMIER & PLUS. Will have 104K by the end of March hopefully. I still need that additional 6K. We will see how long it will take us to get there.

Congrats.

I was able to get a couple of people to sign up with my referral code, and that aided significantly towards the companion pass. I also bought several months worth of grocery store gift cards at the same time, as well as prepaid some health insurance premiums.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Now that hotel transfers are going away, has anyone figured out any alternate way to get another Companion Pass? I really miss ours! We've done it with Southwest CCs twice and once with Miles & Points from Marriott.

We've been super careful about CC applications - but I really don't see how we can possibly manage only 5 apps in 24 months so no Chase cards in the foreseeable future.

Apparently branded cards (like the SW) don't count for the 5/24 rule, so you may be able to get the CP from them (if you haven't got the bonus in the last 24 months, you're eligible again), even being over 5/24.  :)

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

Apparently branded cards (like the SW) don't count for the 5/24 rule, so you may be able to get the CP from them (if you haven't got the bonus in the last 24 months, you're eligible again), even being over 5/24.  :)

Oooo...this may be worth a shot. We had tried for the Chase Sapphire Reserve back when it was launch but was denied for too many apps. Knew it was a long shot, but took the chance and used up another inquiry. If there's a chance for a SW Companion Pass, we might be willing to take the risk again. I loved that Pass! Then again - we really have to consider as I am trying to figure out how we are going to get all 4 of us to Malaysia next summer.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Just got companion pass status yesterday. We Transferred 15,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points through Hyatt Gold Passport to pick up the last 7,200 points we needed to push us over the edge. We're already planning a trip to Mexico this fall and maybe another one to Arizona next Spring to see my wife's grandparents. Cannot wait to take advantage of this!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
Just double checking a couple things -

1. You just need to earn 110,000 points in the same year right? Not like actually have the 110,000 in your account at once? For example if we hit the 50,000 bonus on one of the cards I can go ahead and start using them right away right.

2. Along those same lines if I want to book 4 flights for our Family in say September (which they just released) should I just book 3 of them now while the wanna get away points required are really low and then assume/hope I can add the companion in May or June when we hit it for the fourth ticket?

When your using the companion pass it doesn't matter how expensive the flight is by then right?

Pretty sure my assumptions are correct, just wanted to confirm :)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
1.  Yes.

2.  If you're using points, you might even book all 4.  Reason being that booking with SW points is fully refundable, so should your CP not come through for some reason before you need it, you'll have all 4 tickets.  When it does come through, you can then add companion and cancel the original ticket.  Then keep an eye on things - you can get the points back if the fare goes down.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Just booked our first flight with the companion pass. $896 worth of plane tickets for $22 and 28,000 points. If you figure the $170 in yearly fees for the SW credit cards, we're up $700 already with a ton of points still to go. I have a feeling this travel hacking thing is going to be addicting!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
Yeah the deal is worth like $3,000 - very much worth annual fee + any MS fees you might encounter.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
1.  Yes.

2.  If you're using points, you might even book all 4.  Reason being that booking with SW points is fully refundable, so should your CP not come through for some reason before you need it, you'll have all 4 tickets.  When it does come through, you can then add companion and cancel the original ticket.  Then keep an eye on things - you can get the points back if the fare goes down.

Thanks!! That's what I figured.

Verdure

• Stubble
I know it's late in the year to be shooting for the companion pass, but FYI folks, right now you can get 60,000 points for any of the credit cards, so automatic companion pass if you get 2.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: October 02, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Is today too early to set up for 2018-19?

Offers still at 60K miles for each card.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #623 on: October 02, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
Hey all you Southwest fans. We are family of 4 so even with the pass booking the other 3 goes through the points fast.

Got the Companion pass for this year and next (did not even have a chance to use it this year). We have a trip for all of us booked for March and I'm flying by myself in Nov using some points so they are almost all gone from the initial 110K promotion.

Anyone have a recommendation for a non Chase card bonus that I could transfer to get more points?

Ideally I'd like to do a long weekend next fall to use Companion pass one more time but don't want to pay cash for the other 3 flights.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #624 on: October 02, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »

Just don't have the 2000'th dollar from either card hit your account in December and get the bonus early.

Also the 60k bonus is supposedly going to end on October 4th so if you're going to get it, get it soon.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:33:10 AM by nawhite »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #625 on: October 02, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
Hey all you Southwest fans. We are family of 4 so even with the pass booking the other 3 goes through the points fast.

Got the Companion pass for this year and next (did not even have a chance to use it this year). We have a trip for all of us booked for March and I'm flying by myself in Nov using some points so they are almost all gone from the initial 110K promotion.

Anyone have a recommendation for a non Chase card bonus that I could transfer to get more points?

Ideally I'd like to do a long weekend next fall to use Companion pass one more time but don't want to pay cash for the other 3 flights.
Assuming it is 2 adults + 2 kids, you could have "2nd adult" get the card.  Then make each kid a companion of one of the adults.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: October 02, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »

Just don't have the 3000'th dollar from either card hit your account in December and get the bonus early.
Bonus has always come 1-2 statements after the last dollar before.  Also - it is $2,000 within 3 months to get the bonus.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #627 on: October 02, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »

Just don't have the 3000'th dollar from either card hit your account in December and get the bonus early.
Bonus has always come 1-2 statements after the last dollar before.  Also - it is $2,000 within 3 months to get the bonus.

One of the 60k cards right now is 2k spend. The other is 3k spend.

It posts after the statement closes with the minimum spend hit, and then the companion pass comes a few weeks after that, typically.  So as long as your 3rd statement closes in January, you're fine to do the spend in Dec in that statement (e.g. say your statement is the 8th to the 8th... you could do the spend after Dec 8, then it'll close Jan 8, and post after that, next year).

You should be good to apply now, and have any 3rd statement (since you have 3 mo for min spend) close in Jan, now that we're in Oct.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #628 on: October 02, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
I'm showing $2000 minimum spend for both cards?

Plus: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60KPlus?CELL=6PLT

Premier: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremier?CELL=6PLT

Anyway - applied and was instantly approved for both.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:50:51 AM by dandarc »

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
Just hit me how crazy what just happened is.  A bank - a large bank - just agreed to in excess of $50K of revolving credit.  And they're going to give me $1500+ worth of airfare.  And the airline is going to match that.  All took maybe 10 minutes of my time.  And this is the third time since 2015 they've done this for our household - finally got the timing right on this deal.  How is this possible?

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
Just applied for the Plus and Premier as well - was not instantly approved for either and they say they will notify me by mail.

Same thing happened to me with the Sapphire Reserve (which I got).

Should I call them tomorrow or just wait it out? If I do call anything I should say to increase my chances of getting approved?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
It'll depend on why they didn't instantly approved.  Examples - If you're over the 5/24 rule, from what I've read, there's nothing that will be done - you're SOL until enough time has passed without getting any new cards from anybody.  If it is "too much credit from us recently", you may be able to negotiate - first time I did this, I had opened a United card with Chase recently - they approved southwest card #1, but not #2.  Called the recon line and they agreed to cancel the United card in favor of southwest card #2.

Something with my wife's 2nd card happened as well - a call got it approved but I don't remember what the specific objection was.  She didn't have much credit history at that time, so that may have had something to do with it.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #632 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
I applied for Biz Premier and Personal Plus cards 9/26, have spend date of 1/22. 60k bonus points each, yay. I'm excited to get this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #633 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
Just hit me how crazy what just happened is.  A bank - a large bank - just agreed to in excess of $50K of revolving credit.  And they're going to give me $1500+ worth of airfare.  And the airline is going to match that.  All took maybe 10 minutes of my time.  And this is the third time since 2015 they've done this for our household - finally got the timing right on this deal.  How is this possible?

Haha, totally. So many things about the FIRE life is like this. Getting rent checks, or dividend checks is a similar feeling. Getting paid from tradeline sales. So many "how crazy is this world we're in?" thoughts (in a good way).

If you're over the 5/24 rule, from what I've read, there's nothing that will be done - you're SOL until enough time has passed without getting any new cards from anybody.

Branded cards (like SW) may be exempt from Chase's 5/24 (only their cards, like Sapphire and Freedom definitely have that rule).

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »

Branded cards (like SW) may be exempt from Chase's 5/24 (only their cards, like Sapphire and Freedom definitely have that rule).
SW cards are subject to 5/24. The business SW card is 5/24 sensitive (i.e. You will get denied if it's over 5/24) but it does not add to your 5/24 count! Just FYI for these particular cards.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #636 on: October 02, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
In case anyone is wondering - looks like the end date for the current 60K promotion will be 10/4.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/09/13/heads-up-earning-the-best-deal-in-travel-will-soon-become-more-difficult/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=FB+MMS&utm_campaign=Blog&campaign_id=FB_6080518742826_6080752174026_6080752174226

Yikes. Oct 4th, means that you will complete the 3 months on Jan 4th. So, you have the smallest of intervals to complete the $2k/3k spend, so that you end up with the companion pass for 2018/2019.

If Oct 4th is the last day to apply, wonder if the 3 month deadline happens from the day you get the card (maybe a week or two after you apply).

Any thoughts?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: October 02, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Supposedly 3 months = 115 days for practical purposes with chase.

Plus - you only need the to post on the January statement as illustrated up thread by ARS.  So if your statement ends January 15th, you'd have from Dec. 16th until then to get the spend done.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #638 on: October 02, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »

Assuming it is 2 adults + 2 kids, you could have "2nd adult" get the card.  Then make each kid a companion of one of the adults.

Can't do any Chase cards right now or that could work.

May just get Capital one freedom or Barclay with the $400 credit and use that do book 1 and part of another or something. Since there is no assigned seats on Southwest anyway shouldn't matter if it's two transactions I guess.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: October 03, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »
I need to visit a Chase branch to open bank accounts. Is there any reason NOT to apply for both of the Southwest cards while I'm there?

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: October 03, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »
Called the reconsideration line, l I got denied because of too many inquiries / too many open cards... they tried to shuffle credit around but couldn't get it approved.

So we applied in my wife's name and got instantly approved for both the plus and premier!!! Boom!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: October 03, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
Called the reconsideration line, l I got denied because of too many inquiries / too many open cards... they tried to shuffle credit around but couldn't get it approved.

So we applied in my wife's name and got instantly approved for both the plus and premier!!! Boom!
There ya go - then end of 2019,  you try it again with yourself.  If there's only the 2 of you, you can basically have the companion pass continuously by switching back and forth.  Not to mention all the points.  At least until Chase or Southwest wises up and changes the terms of the deals.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: October 03, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
I applied for Biz Premier and Personal Plus cards 9/26, have spend date of 1/22. 60k bonus points each, yay. I'm excited to get this.

How did you calculate spend date BTW?  Did you call cust svc?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #643 on: October 03, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »

How did you calculate spend date BTW?  Did you call cust svc?
It's 115 days for Chase cards since they give you extra time for shipping of the physical card to you. That said, as a CYA measure I SM'd separately for both cards to confirm.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #644 on: October 03, 2017, 12:46:56 PM »
Applied for both the business and plus card today and got "we need more time to consider. you'll hear back in 30 days by mail."

I assume that even if the offer expires before they get back to me I'll still get it right? Or do I need to call them before tomorrow to force a decision? (and what's the number for consumer cards and business cards?)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: October 03, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

Haha, totally. So many things about the FIRE life is like this. Getting rent checks, or dividend checks is a similar feeling. Getting paid from tradeline sales. So many "how crazy is this world we're in?" thoughts (in a good way).

If you're over the 5/24 rule, from what I've read, there's nothing that will be done - you're SOL until enough time has passed without getting any new cards from anybody.

quick advice seeking post.  Applied for business and personal on 9/29.  Instantly approved.  However, after applying i accidentally realized i used my wifes FF # having grabed her rapid rewards card by accident.  I was worried a bit because their appears to be no way online to change the RR number of the account.  Should i wait until i get the cards, not worry or call cust service now and try to  correct it?  i didnt want to flag that i applied for two cards and have some note on the account disrupt my reward status. 

Any advice?
SM them ASAP. Applying for two cards isn't against any rules and you aren't using any loopholes. Send a SM connected to the card with the wrong RR# so you have it in writing to CYA. They won't mess with the terms of the card or bonus since you aren't doing anything wrong.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: October 03, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
Applied for both the business and plus card today and got "we need more time to consider. you'll hear back in 30 days by mail."

I assume that even if the offer expires before they get back to me I'll still get it right? Or do I need to call them before tomorrow to force a decision? (and what's the number for consumer cards and business cards?)
Call the automated status line to check status every day or so. If you aren't approved, you will be told 7-10 days (soft decline) or 2 weeks (soft approve). If you get 7-10 day message then you'll need to call human recon.

Google "Reddit chase reconsideration flowchart" for super specific instructions.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #647 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
Got approved for the business and the Premier Card.

Now a fine balance to make the spends close to $2k/$3k by end of year so that I can go over the top in January.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: October 03, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
30-day, by mail on Plus and Premier. Bummer, because I have some large expenses this month that would put me most of the way to both spends.

Would going into a branch do anything to speed this process up?

ETA: I called the automated recon and got the "2 week" message for both.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:20:10 PM by Inaya »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #649 on: October 03, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »
Got approved for the business and the Premier Card.

Now a fine balance to make the spends close to $2k/$3k by end of year so that I can go over the top in January.

Thanks for all the ideas.
FYI you might want to stay closer to 50% of minimum spend until January since they have been awarding point bonuses early if you're just a few hundred off

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!