Author Topic: removed  (Read 288010 times)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Southwest 100,000 bonus points + 2 years of Companion Status badass offer
« Reply #500 on: October 22, 2016, 07:03:02 AM »
Nope. Refunds of points don't reset the clock.

Can confirm.  johny847 is correct.

If you have Ultimate Rewards points on a Chase card, you can transfer 1,000 UR
points to your Southwest Rapid Rewards balance and reset the clock for 2 years.
I did this about 2 months ago.  (Yes, there are other hacks such a buying a magazine
subscription through the RR portal, but this was quick and easy for me.)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #501 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
Can anyone chime in on their experience regarding Chase/Southwest's definition of "first 3 months?" This thread has posts describing the strategy of opening cards in October so that the 3rd statement closes in January. I thought I timed everything correctly but for some reason Chase has given me a half billing period for the first cycle. I applied for the cards (and was approved) on 10/6, didn't receive them until 10/16, used them for a few days and now the first card already shows a statement with a closing date of 10/20. The second card's closing statement lags two days behind. So by Chase's math my first billing cycle was 15 days, where I had the cards for about 4 of them. This means that my third billing cycle will close on 12/20, however my first 3 months doesn't technically end until 1/6, which would be captured in my 4th billing cycle that closes on 1/20. Should I be concerned about this?

As arebelspy suggests, you can call Chase to confirm the exact date, however I'm pretty
sure you don't have anything to worry about.  Of all the cards I've acquired, Chase seems the
most flexible on the minimum spend period:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-unofficially-gives-almost-4-months-meet-signup-bonus-requirements/

That said, I always use 90 days starting from my application date for any card I'm
targeting for a bonus and I'm carefully verifying my purchases online to meet minimum
spend. 

Some churners have gotten burned when they received a credit refund on a purchase
and they neglected to include it in their calculations.  An easy way to eyeball this is to add
up all your payments on the account (> minimum spend) and check your balance is
non-negative, i.e. zero or greater.
I may call to confirm but I would think I'd be safe. With all the legal crap the throw into credit card disclosures these days I can't imagine how they'd be able to turn "3 months" into 2 months and 15 days. I was just caught up in how everyone describes the process in terms of statement cycles. Though, using 90 days as a rule of thumb changes my date to 1/4 so I guess I'll have to be on top of things right at the end of December so I can be sure to go over right at the New Year.

Another question that has occurred to me based on my first week of using the cards, are points from regular credit card use transferred to my Rapid Rewards account at the end of each statement cycle or do the points transfer as purchases are made, lagging the transaction by a few days?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: October 22, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
Another question that has occurred to me based on my first week of using the cards, are points from regular credit card use transferred to my Rapid Rewards account at the end of each statement cycle or do the points transfer as purchases are made, lagging the transaction by a few days?

I canceled my last Southwest Chase card a couple years ago, but from my
recollection, they posted within a few days after statement close.

From the website:

When will I receive my points?
"Points earned on purchases appear in your Rapid Rewards account up to 30 days after your statement cycle date."

https://creditcards.chase.com/southwest/FAQ

mountain man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #503 on: November 08, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
A little off topic - I am getting ready to close my SW chase cards so that I can reapply later for another round of companion pass. Anyway, I have 6000 points left over sitting in my rapid rewards account. I was going to transfer the points to my husbands rr, but SW charges $60 to do that. Any other ideas in how to use these points efficiently?  I'd hate to just lose them.

You can also use them to book a flight for you or your husband - a lot of one-ways available for under 6K points where I'm at.

My rapid rewards account is the one with the companion pass for the rest of 2016, but I am basically out of miles.  We're in process of getting companion pass on my wife's rapid rewards account for 2016-17.  Goal is to be "on-schedule" after this year, so I'll re-apply in late 2017 and do spend such as to get companion pass for 2018-19.

Anyway, we recently booked a flight using my wife's miles, and I was a bit surprised to find that we could use my companion pass.  Logged in to her account, booked flight with miles for me.  Logged out, logged in to my account and I could add her as a companion to the ticket she just bought for me.

Just book a ticket for your husband from your account and put in his rapid reward number in the ticket. The ticket will then show up on his Rapid Rewards and you can add the companion pass without having to call in.

Don't transfer RR points. You might as well flush money into the garbage disposal. If you're short of points you can transfer in from many partners and worst case can buy a small amount to get you to what you need.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #504 on: November 22, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
For those of you who have contacted me about Southwest referrals, Southwest sent us new 50K referrals for both the Plus and Premier cards today. I have updated the links in my signature, so if you had trouble with the old ones, give these a try.

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #505 on: November 22, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
Anyone have experience with the 5/24 rule for Chase? I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to end up getting rejected before applying - had 2 chase cards in the last 24 months, but then also had 3 cards with other companies + been added as an authorized user on 2 of my husband's cards. Is it just the chase cards that count or do others count as well?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
Anyone have experience with the 5/24 rule for Chase? I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to end up getting rejected before applying - had 2 chase cards in the last 24 months, but then also had 3 cards with other companies + been added as an authorized user on 2 of my husband's cards. Is it just the chase cards that count or do others count as well?

Any new, non-business card opened in your name.

I don't know about the AU ones, but the others alone likely will DQ you.

Chase is also fickle.  The 5/24 rule isn't hard and fast.  My wife was at 3 cards in the last 2 years, got a Sapphire Reserve, approved, got 2 Chase cards for the SW.. this was a month ago.  So they approved past 5.

At the same time, I applied for the Reserve with 3 cards in the last 2 years, got rejected!  Called the reconsideration, they confirmed it was because I had "opened too many accounts in the last 24 months" (and got a letter to that effect), and the guy didn't care that I was only at 3 (he put me on hold, looked up my credit report, and confirmed there were 3).  I said I thought you could go up to 5, he said there's a lot of rumors around about it, but there's no hard and fast rule, and to apply again in a few months.  Bleh.

(FWIW, I have the same or better credit score as my wife--both low 800s, same household income, everything the same.)

Bottom line: you never know for sure.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2016, 06:06:08 PM »
The grocery store we go to only accepts cash or debit at the register. This means our paltry $300/mo food budget couldn't count towards our minimum spend. Turns out I can buy gift cards to the store of any desired amount and quantity and only have to pay a $1 fee for shipping. So I just bought $500 worth via the credit card, and will go back at the end of December to quantify the minimum amount left to hit the bonus and buy the desired amount. I'm also considering pre-purchasing 5-6 months groceries and 5-6 months fuel to hit 110k points faster, but we'll see...

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: November 22, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »
Chase is also fickle.  The 5/24 rule isn't hard and fast.  My wife was at 3 cards in the last 2 years, got a Sapphire Reserve, approved, got 2 Chase cards for the SW.. this was a month ago.  So they approved past 5.

I don't know if this has changed but at one time SW cards were not subject to 5/24.  That may have been the case when your wife applied.  Just a thought and perhaps it will help some others.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #509 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »

I don't know if this has changed but at one time SW cards were not subject to 5/24.  That may have been the case when your wife applied.  Just a thought and perhaps it will help some others.

Oh nice!  Good to know.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #510 on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »

Oh nice!  Good to know.

Right.  I think it's a lot or most of the co-branded cards, so the Chase Southwest, Chase Marriott, etc.  There's a list out there on one of the blogs if you google for it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #511 on: November 23, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »

Oh nice!  Good to know.

Right.  I think it's a lot or most of the co-branded cards, so the Chase Southwest, Chase Marriott, etc.  There's a list out there on one of the blogs if you google for it.

Does it go both ways?

What I mean is it's not counted if you're applying for them, but are they counted if you're applying for non-cobranded ones?

That is, if I have 5 other cards, you're saying I can still get 2 SW cards.  The SW cards don't "count."

What if I have 3 other cards, and 2 SW cards... can I still get a Sapphire Reserve, the 2 SW don't "count?" 

Or do they just allow you to go past the 5/24 when applying for them, but they still count as cards when applying for something else?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »
My understanding is that the co-branded cards don't count towards 5/24, so...yes, no, yes, and no, respectively.

But then there's this, from a blog, that says otherwise:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/#What_Cards_Count_Towards_The_5_Card_Limit

Hmm.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2016, 11:44:38 PM »
Cool!  I was planning to "save" spots for them, but now maybe I won't have to. :)

(I did, two years ago, get accepted for 1 chase card and not the other, under the reasoning I had received too many cards recently, but that was before the 5/24 rule existed, it was something they didn't have a hard number on, but loosely enforced. And my number was like 10 or something.)

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #514 on: November 30, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »
So, I have been assuming I couldn't get the SW cards because I already exceed the 5/24, but now I am wondering if I might be able to get them.  Doctorofcredit says they count in the 5/24 based on the link that secondcor521 posted.  Does anyone think if I just called Chase and asked them that they would say for sure if the SW cards count in the 5/24 rule?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #515 on: November 30, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »
Does anyone think if I just called Chase and asked them that they would say for sure if the SW cards count in the 5/24 rule?

They generally don't answer "hard number" questions like that, and tell you they can't answer about being accepted, you just have to apply (even if you're like "I just want to make sure the number of cards I have won't reject me" they'll tell you they can't tell).

It probably will not hurt to call and ask, but I doubt you'll get anywhere.

They do not seem to count for the 5/24 rule though, as my wife went over getting them recently, and had no problem (one anecdote, yes, but confirms what DoC says, so it seems to be legit).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #516 on: November 30, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
Hmmm, this is intriguing, though I don't think we'd use the companion pass enough to make it worthwhile.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #517 on: November 30, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
Hmmm, this is intriguing, though I don't think we'd use the companion pass enough to make it worthwhile.

If you ever fly anywhere in the US (i.e. not international), Southwest is the best.

What do you mean make it worthwhile?  The cost is a $99 and $69 annual fee, which you'd recoup after a single use.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #518 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »

If you ever fly anywhere in the US (i.e. not international), Southwest is the best.

What do you mean make it worthwhile?  The cost is a $99 and $69 annual fee, which you'd recoup after a single use.

Well, there's also opportunity costs, too, spending $10k on these means I don't get to do $10k on other cards (which may have better bonuses that are more useful, we could still do another CSP/CSR/Amex 100k if we wanted).

We also have taken approximately zero flights together since we got married, so there is that. Maybe that would change if we got this though? I don't know :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #519 on: November 30, 2016, 07:31:05 PM »
Okay, yup, if you take no domestic flights, it's not worth it.  :)

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »
Does anyone think if I just called Chase and asked them that they would say for sure if the SW cards count in the 5/24 rule?

They generally don't answer "hard number" questions like that, and tell you they can't answer about being accepted, you just have to apply (even if you're like "I just want to make sure the number of cards I have won't reject me" they'll tell you they can't tell).

It probably will not hurt to call and ask, but I doubt you'll get anywhere.

They do not seem to count for the 5/24 rule though, as my wife went over getting them recently, and had no problem (one anecdote, yes, but confirms what DoC says, so it seems to be legit).

but Doctor of Credit says the SW cards do count in the 5/24 in that link posted above.  Hence my confusion....

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
Happy - if you want the SW cards, why not just apply and see what happens?

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #522 on: December 01, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
Happy - if you want the SW cards, why not just apply and see what happens?

Because I don't want to risk getting approved for one and not the other.  Then I wouldn't be able to get the companion pass because I couldn't get 110,000 miles in one year.  I have to be sure I would get approved for two of the SW cards with 50K bonus

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #523 on: December 01, 2016, 04:35:20 PM »
When I applied a few years back, I only got one, then they told me I had too many CCs open recently to get the second. I spent down the miles with like 4 free flights.

Now the wife got both.

In a year or two, I'll try to get both again.  Since they aren't a once per lifetime thing, you can get then every two years. So worst case, if you don't get it this time, you still have the miles to use, and can get it in the future.

May be better than not applying at all.  Unless you have a CC passing the two year mark in a few months and want to wait for that and are hoping the 50k offers will still be available.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: December 01, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
When I applied a few years back, I only got one, then they told me I had too many CCs open recently to get the second. I spent down the miles with like 4 free flights.

Now the wife got both.

In a year or two, I'll try to get both again.  Since they aren't a once per lifetime thing, you can get then every two years. So worst case, if you don't get it this time, you still have the miles to use, and can get it in the future.

May be better than not applying at all.  Unless you have a CC passing the two year mark in a few months and want to wait for that and are hoping the 50k offers will still be available.

thanks for the advice! For some reason I was thinking it was a one shot deal. 

My husband got denied for the CSR because they said he opened too many credit cards.  But according to my calcs he should have been under the 5/24.  I was just at 5 in 24 and we put less cards in his name and didn't add him as AU on my CSR.  I guess that denial is making me gun shy about chase now. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »
thanks for the advice! For some reason I was thinking it was a one shot deal.

Nope, just need to have it closed, and have a two year gap since you've received the bonus (this, of course, could change in the future).

My husband got denied for the CSR because they said he opened too many credit cards.  But according to my calcs he should have been under the 5/24.  I was just at 5 in 24 and we put less cards in his name and didn't add him as AU on my CSR.  I guess that denial is making me gun shy about chase now.

Yeah, I got denied for the CSR too, for too many cards, even though I was definitely under the 5/24.  I'll reapply again in a bit.  No big deal.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #526 on: December 05, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
We are new to this.  My wife and I recently got our Chase Sapphire Reserve card.  She got her 100,000 UR points already.  Mine is almost there.

If I (or my wife) applies for 2 SW cards (plus, premium) now,  we can handle the $2000 for each card for the next 2 months. So, spending will be all in 2017.  The question is how to get the 10,000 points so we can reach 110,000 for CP.

I read that you can transfer UR points to Hyatt, then SW.  We have enough UR points, so that might be an easier method.   Do I need to first apply for a Hyatt CC in order to have an account with them before I transfer UR points?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2016, 09:24:39 PM »
I read that you can transfer UR points to Hyatt, then SW.  We have enough UR points, so that might be an easier method.   Do I need to first apply for a Hyatt CC in order to have an account with them before I transfer UR points?

You don't need a CC, you can just apply for a membership number free, directly with them.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #528 on: December 07, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »
Check Southwest's terms before you do this. I believe that point transfers from other reward programs do not count toward the companion pass.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #529 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »

Check Southwest's terms before you do this. I believe that point transfers from other reward programs do not count toward the companion pass.

Straight from UR they don't count towards the companion pass.  From certain hotel ones they do count towards the companion pass.

So if you go UR->Hyatt->SW it counts. You may lose some in the conversion.

You can do a similar thing with SPG to Mariott to SW, at a slightly better rate. Depends on how you value SPG vs UR.

This could change at any time, but it's valid currently and has been for years.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #530 on: December 07, 2016, 11:37:37 AM »
Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #531 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Anyone still have referral links for 50,000 point offers for the 2 personal cards?   As soon as I am done for spending with CSR card, I can start with this.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #532 on: December 08, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
Anyone still have referral links for 50,000 point offers for the 2 personal cards?   As soon as I am done for spending with CSR card, I can start with this.

I've got Chase Rewards Plus for you.  [MOD NOTE: PM user for link.]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:57:27 PM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #533 on: December 08, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »

All 3 SW cards have the 50k offer right now, no special link needed, just google.  :)

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #534 on: December 09, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
I applied for Plus card. I had to call one credit bureau to unfreeze my credit, then got approved.

I searched google for Personal Premier card application, but can't seem to find it.  I see 40K offer with $1000 spend.  But I need 50K offer if one still exists.  Please PM me if you can help.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #535 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »
I applied for Plus card. I had to call one credit bureau to unfreeze my credit, then got approved.

I searched google for Personal Premier card application, but can't seem to find it.  I see 40K offer with $1000 spend.  But I need 50K offer if one still exists.  Please PM me if you can help.

fh2000 -

I always keep the link in my signature updated with the most current 50k offers I receive from Southwest to try to help out those trying to get the Companion Pass. When I was getting my CP last year, I couldn't find anyone who had a 50k offer for the Plus card, and ended up settling for a 25k bonus. Not ideal.

Anyway, I've received my max referral bonus for 2016, but my link should still get you the offer. Of course, if someone else has a referral for you, feel free to use theirs and hook them up with a little bonus of their own.

-P

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #536 on: December 09, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
I applied for personal premier card and received pending message. I called the back office and the lady had a lot of questions for me.  Mainly because I already have Chase Sapphire Reserve, and SW Plus card.  In the end, she put my application for senior review, and will respond to me via mail.

Looks like I may not get premier card after all.  We will see.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #537 on: December 16, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »
I was told that I got approved for both cards.  I used referral links to apply, but I am not sure what I was approved for.  Do they make mistakes and only provide 40K, not 50K?

Anyway, today, I received the Plus card.  The letter and paper do not mention RR points granted.  I am still waiting on Premier card.

For my Plus card,  should I hold off on any spend until after Jan 1st, or it is OK to spend as long as my last dollar is spent passed 1/1/2017?   I think I read about this, but can't find the actual post now.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #538 on: December 16, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
I was told that I got approved for both cards.  I used referral links to apply, but I am not sure what I was approved for.  Do they make mistakes and only provide 40K, not 50K?

Anyway, today, I received the Plus card.  The letter and paper do not mention RR points granted.  I am still waiting on Premier card.

For my Plus card,  should I hold off on any spend until after Jan 1st, or it is OK to spend as long as my last dollar is spent passed 1/1/2017?   I think I read about this, but can't find the actual post now.

Any spend now won't count towards the companion pass (must be done in the same calendar year), but will towards minimum spend.  As long as the minimum spend posts in Jan, that counts towards it.

As far as the signup bonuses, call them and confirm which offer you have, and what the deadline for spend on it is, for each of the cards.  :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #539 on: December 16, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »

Any spend now won't count towards the companion pass (must be done in the same calendar year), but will towards minimum spend.  As long as the minimum spend posts in Jan, that counts towards it.

As far as the signup bonuses, call them and confirm which offer you have, and what the deadline for spend on it is, for each of the cards.  :)

That's not necessarily true. This depends on when fh2000's current statement closes. If fh2000's current statement closes in January, the points from this month's statement will count towards the companion pass. If fh2000's current statement closes this month, then it won't count towards the companion pass.

And I concur, call in and confirm the signup bonus. And while you're at it fh2000, confirm the statement closing date as well

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:57 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I over-simplified.  Odds are likely, in fact, that if you just got the card, all spending now will count.

Thanks for the clarification.  :)

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #541 on: December 18, 2016, 09:30:29 AM »

That's not necessarily true. This depends on when fh2000's current statement closes. If fh2000's current statement closes in January, the points from this month's statement will count towards the companion pass. If fh2000's current statement closes this month, then it won't count towards the companion pass.

And I concur, call in and confirm the signup bonus. And while you're at it fh2000, confirm the statement closing date as well

Hi,

I am still waiting for my Premier card.

My Plus card statement date is 1/8/2017.  I have not used this card yet.  But looks like I am clear to spend all of the $2000 this year in order to receive my 50K, and qualify for CP for 2017.   Correct?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #542 on: December 18, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »

Hi,

I am still waiting for my Premier card.

My Plus card statement date is 1/8/2017.  I have not used this card yet.  But looks like I am clear to spend all of the $2000 this year in order to receive my 50K, and qualify for CP for 2017.   Correct?

Yes

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #543 on: December 21, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
What's the current link for this deal?  The one in the original post is 2 years old and doesn't take me to this deal.

I'm almost done satisfying all requirements for my Chase Reserve card and moving on to the next one.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #544 on: December 21, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
What's the current link for this deal?  The one in the original post is 2 years old and doesn't take me to this deal.

I'm almost done satisfying all requirements for my Chase Reserve card and moving on to the next one.

I send you a message with referral links to both the Premier card and the Plus card. Hope it works for you!

Unicorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »

Hi all -- Looking for a little extra guidance re the Companion Pass. I managed to accumulate 100,000 miles on Southwest this year, which I did not realize until yesterday... Since I am so close to the Companion Pass threshold, I transferred the equivalent of 12,000 miles from Marriott points to get over the hump. However, it turns out that the points won't necessarily transfer for 6 weeks. It is my understanding that all the miles need to be posted in the same calendar year, meaning that the points might transfer too late (i.e., after the New Year). I called Southwest and they seemed to say there was nothing else to be done about this -- and that even if I bought miles from Southwest directly or transferred from another Rapid Rewards account, the miles would not qualify towards the Companion Pass...

Just wanted to see if any Rapid Rewards experts on this thread might have additional ideas for quickly getting a few more points into the account. Thanks in advance.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #546 on: December 28, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »
Only thing I can think of is to take a flight by the end of the year.

Business Select Round-Trip from Jacksonville to Chicago is available, and earns more than 10,000 miles, for example.  Costs nearly $1K, but if you and your companion fly a lot next year, that CP could be worth quite a bit more.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2016, 02:11:11 PM »
I just pushed both my SW cards over the $2,000 threshold for triggering the bonus points today. Also, we ended up getting my wife a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and hitting the points bonus amount on that card yesterday. Since the $4,000 we spent on the SW cards to get the bonuses won't count since all those bonus points will hit next year, I think we're going to transfer some of the Chase Ultimate Rewards points through another companion pass-qualifying points system (like Hyatt) to cover the additional 10,000 point we'll need instead of spending another $10,000 on the SW cards. That's $10,000 that could be put toward other new card bonuses that would have a much greater reward. Really excited to see how all this is going to work out and I'm looking forward to taking some trips this upcoming year!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #548 on: December 28, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »
I just pushed both my SW cards over the $2,000 threshold for triggering the bonus points today. Also, we ended up getting my wife a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and hitting the points bonus amount on that card yesterday. Since the $4,000 we spent on the SW cards to get the bonuses won't count since all those bonus points will hit next year, I think we're going to transfer some of the Chase Ultimate Rewards points through another companion pass-qualifying points system (like Hyatt) to cover the additional 10,000 point we'll need instead of spending another $10,000 on the SW cards. That's $10,000 that could be put toward other new card bonuses that would have a much greater reward. Really excited to see how all this is going to work out and I'm looking forward to taking some trips this upcoming year!

I do hope you mean you finished your spending today but your statement closes in January. Not that you got your bonus points today. Because if it's the latter then your companion pass starts today and ends 12/31/2017.

For the record, you wouldn't need an additional $10k in spending on the Southwest cards. You'd need $6k because you spent $4k on your Southwest cards already to earn the signup bonus. You earned 4k in points for the spending itself.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: December 28, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »

I do hope you mean you finished your spending today but your statement closes in January. Not that you got your bonus points today. Because if it's the latter then your companion pass starts today and ends 12/31/2017.

For the record, you wouldn't need an additional $10k in spending on the Southwest cards. You'd need $6k because you spent $4k on your Southwest cards already to earn the signup bonus. You earned 4k in points for the spending itself.
Yes I finished the spending but my 90 window closes January 4. It'll be my 4th statement thanks to a weird shortened first statement. Most all of my 4k in spending won't count because it was done in 2016.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!