Author Topic: Sold the Truck!  (Read 4317 times)

rockgecko03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sold the Truck!
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
It was sad to see it go, but so awesome at the same time! $26,000 of debt gone just like that! Then I bought a 1992 Toyota 4runner for my silly clown car habbits that are going down slowly but surely. Only paid $2,000 cash for it. No more car payments!!!!!

One last tribute:

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
Re: Sold the Truck!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »
The funny part is since you are on the far end of the depreciation scale, its sort of liberating to do the same offroading with the new ute. I don't see how people can spend 30k+ on a truck / SUV, another 10k on lift, tires, etc., and feel good about offroading it. Congrats!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
Good job! How does it feel not to putting money into something that you owe $26k on?

Nothing wrong with having an off road hobby.. sounds like you're doing it right now.

ioiooioii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Yep
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Damn it, why did I read this.

I'm just starting on a huge loan for pretty much the same rig brand new.

This will prop be me in a few years.

whaaaaaa whaaaaaaa

Well congrads!

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
The debt sucks, but at least it has some dual use, driver and off road toy. Plus those Tacoma are great for keeping their value.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »
Congrats! I know zero about off-roading, but I too don't see why someone would want to do that with a brand new car.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »
Plus those Tacoma are great for keeping their value.

I see them all the time, 2000's models with over 150k and they still want $15k+. Don't know of they actually get that but seems to be true! I'd love to have a 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 Taco but haven't seen any under 10k.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »
Plus those Tacoma are great for keeping their value.

I see them all the time, 2000's models with over 150k and they still want $15k+. Don't know of they actually get that but seems to be true! I'd love to have a 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 Taco but haven't seen any under 10k.

Honestly I don't get it either. There is a guy here who wants 20k for his with 90k miles. Its a nice quad cab, but that sounds real inflated to me. A comparable Nissan can be had for a fraction of that.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »
Mine is a 2003 extended cab manual transmission 4WD.  It has about 130K miles. It has been paid for for several years. I'm too scared to do much crazy off road stuff, but I do like being able to access the back roads in the Colorado mountains.

rockgecko03

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:43:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!

It's a hobby that most don't really understand. However, most that don't understand have never really experienced it. It's not for everyone though. The yotas definitely hold their value well. The reason is because they keep their reliability so well for so long. The 4runner that I just bought has 187,000 miles on it and it starts up and drives just as it did 21 years ago when it was new. No rattles or typical old car noises and idles as smooth as can be. I would not hesitate to drive it accross the country if I needed to. If you take care of and maintain them, they'll go over 300,000 miles easily. The only downside is the fuel economy, haha.

I'll get another tacoma later down the line to build up and take off-road. But for now, this little 4x4 will get me to all my favorite camping/hiking spots, has room for all 3 dogs in the back, and a back seat for a car seat in next year or two.

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »
Sounds like a nice score. You can just as much fun and is every bit as capable as a new one sans the debt. I would be scouring CL for a set of wheels/tires right about now, but that's just me!