Author Topic: Sold our Sh*t, Made £200 ($320)  (Read 1978 times)

NearlyThere

• Bristles
Sold our Sh*t, Made £200 ($320)
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
Over the past few months my wife has fondly embraced the mustachian lifestyle. Having two mustachians in the household honestly makes the world of difference. Over the last few weeks she tackled our spare rooms and boxed up our unused bits and bobs for sale at a car boot sale. I dunno what the US equivalent is.

At 6am this morning we took our car to a local car park and unleashed our wares on the masses. I sold old suits, dvd's, games and toiletries. My wife did the same. We bagged just shy of £200 from things we haven't used in years, never mind months.

We didn't need any of these items and they were taking up space in our house and there's plenty more scope to sell the unused items we own.

For me the real win is seeing my wife change from a spendypants to a mustachian.

#badass
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:11:31 PM by MajorFacepunch »

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Sold our Sh*t, Made £200 ($320)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
Badass x2. Well done!

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »
That is great to hear! The wife and I have been talking of doing that as well.

I am guessing that when you do something like this you would want to price to sell right?

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:17:25 AM »
Absolutely. We took anything we wanted rid of. Anything that was unused for months (sometimes years)

High value items are going on ebay and electronics didn't sell at all. Everything was £1-£4 and everyone haggled, so if you want £1, go in first time round at £2. We were also advised not to label anything with prices as this turned people off.

General rule we found out pretty quickly. If they are interested they'll hover for a bit. If they ask you the price and you're too high, just ask them what they'd pay and negotiate from there. Being a sales person anyway, I loved it. I probably spent more time having craic (irish for fun/banter) talking with people, but that in its own way had more people at our stall.

People are like sheep, they just follow everyone else.

Be Seasonal. Heavy coats and jumpers sold the best. If I had 100 more, they would have sold no sweat. Saying that, my wife brought some swim wear and it went too.

Be Vigilant: Unfortunately not everyone has the moral fibre as us mustachians. Be aware of people passing fake notes and generally trying to pilfer your wares. We probably had too much out for a single day, so will probably do another car boot next spring and bring the remainder of our gear.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:09:41 AM »
Well done