Author Topic: Sold car, wife shocks.  (Read 5582 times)

onemorebike

• Bristles
Sold car, wife shocks.
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
We just sold our second car to become a one car, many bicycle family of four. I have $2,700 in cash from the sale that I joked with my wife that I might accidentally spend on something silly. She turned to me and said, "it should go in the Bank and we'll call it our 'stache." I like where this is headed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tracylayton

Re: Sold car, wife shocks.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »
Good for both of you!!!

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
I originally read the title as "Sold wife, car shocks." and thought you had gotten rid of things that were squeaking. :|

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:06 PM »
Excellent. When I first read it, I was trying to figure it out…thought maybe you sold the car, wife, and shocks. Or something. Glad it was just the car, and the money is going into your 'stache.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »
Wonder how much the additional gas, insurance and maintenance savings are that far exceed the $2,700?

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
Indenturedfornow, actually not very much. It wasn't driven much a I ride my bike most places and since it is a salvage title and has minimal insurance , I'm saving three to four hundred every six months. If we got rid of our primary vehicle, then we'd be saving the big bucks! (Also, no having to deal with it during our upcoming move is invaluable!)

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »
great move!  Sounds like you and your wife are on the same page financially, that is a very good thing.

NW Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
Congrats!  We've managed to stay a 1 car household and I truly believe it has helped us more than most other things in improving our 'stache.  So much money saved directly (gas, insurance, repairs, car payments) and indirectly (less shopping, eating out, wasting time). 

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »
I originally read the title as "Sold wife, car shocks." and thought you had gotten rid of things that were squeaking. :|

If you're going to write things like that you should at least send me a small towel to wipe the apple juice of my monitor.

OP: way to go, and your wife sounds like she's on board too so kudos.

veloman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
I sold my car in the spring, after moving in with my now-wife. Same deal, used bike/ebike to go everywhere, car never got used. It was a late 90s civic.

The ridiculous part was that our insurance went UP, I kid you not. I talked to the insurance rep and since they couldn't resolve the situation I said goodbye.

It took me many years to finally feel like being without my own car would be socially acceptable, somewhat. My friends and family told me to keep it. I feel so much better that I don't have that worry of a big repair, or the depreciation anymore.

I've been a mustachian years before I found this site. Everything makes so much sense.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
It took me many years to finally feel like being without my own car would be socially acceptable, somewhat. My friends and family told me to keep it.

I've actually had people ask me when I'm going to "become a grownup and buy a car." (FYI - I'm in my 40s) Car are so ingrained in our cultural values.

Thank goodness for forums like this one that help us stay sane!