Author Topic: SO MMM Training  (Read 5438 times)

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
SO MMM Training
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
Share your "significant other training" here.

What do I mean by that? I mean that after discovering MMM, some of you may have gotten all jazzed up only to realize that your significant other for life just isn't into this awesome way of living (not spending money). In fact, once you told them what you had planned, it was like a kick in the junk/ovaries to them.

My SO had even threatened to punch MMM if she ever met him.

Except a funny thing has happened slowly over the time that I've been executing the MMM plan: she's become happier. And it's not just the drugs I've been sneaking into her dinner (totally different story). She's realizing that Mustacianism is not the end of the world. She's realizing that everyone around us wears a mask propped up by unsustainable amounts of credit. And she realizes that wealth-building means having MORE money, not less.

She's not there yet, but she's started hanging up laundry instead of running the dryer almost every day and has reconsidered buying items because she knows we don't actually need them. She's even made the decision to hold off highlighting her hair (don't even ask how much that ridiculousness costs) because I tell her every day she looks so beautiful with her natural hair colour (she's suspicious of my motives, but she'll take the complements).

The key to making it work is being positive. If you show your SO the new possibilities through Mustachianism, it will work.

It's a slow process. It won't happen overnight. But I believe it is possible. Does anyone have any stories of showing the one you love that being mustachian doesn't involve a drastic shift in lifestyle and doesn't mean the end of the world?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:25:04 PM by MustacheMike »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: SO MMM Training
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »
You don't seriously drug your wife do you?

That is so wrong dude, on so many levels.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

I'm sure he was joking, right?  Because, otherwise, I'm thinking primary psychopath?

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
I think marty fell into the sarchasm.

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

Ummm...what's so wrong about drugging my wife? She's my wife. Heh. She's not like someone I don't know. That would be rude.

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I think marty fell into the sarchasm.

Luckily, everyone who falls in has a parachute at the ready. ;)

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »

Ummm...what's so wrong about drugging my wife? She's my wife. Heh. She's not like someone I don't know. That would be rude.

Okay, that actually made me laugh aloud.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
After all, isn't a marriage license basically a property deed?

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
After all, isn't a marriage license basically a property deed?

wowowowowowowowowow. Crossed the line on that one. I definitely don't have the stomach for this.

:P

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:52:02 AM »
lol yes I probably did fall into that :) I kinda interpreted the post along the lines of training your canine.

So putting this train back on the rails, how do you convert your spouse to The Way?

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »
The same way I got her into my life in the first place - suggestive conversation!

mushroom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
lol yes I probably did fall into that :) I kinda interpreted the post along the lines of training your canine.

So putting this train back on the rails, how do you convert your spouse to The Way?

If we're going to talk about animal training as it relates to spouses, this is a fantastic article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/fashion/25love.html?pagewanted=all

MustacheMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »

Slowly and positively. It's not too different from child or animal training -- and this applies to anyone -- not just a significant other. Reward the good, punish or disapprove of the bad while displaying high value (confidence and the ability to provide a secure environment and also the ability to show that you could take your high value elsewhere).