Author Topic: Small Steps  (Read 2958 times)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Small Steps
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Today we dropped cable TV and I opened a couple of Vanguard index accounts.  I also skipped using the dryer to dry a load of laundry last night.  Hopefully these little steps will help save ca$h and help us reach our FI goal a little sooner.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Small Steps
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Every little bit helps.  Way to go!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
I always found the small steps to be very motivating in terms of encouraging me to take the bigger ones.  When I was washing a plastic bag and realized that I could save enough to buy plastic bags for the next five years by changing my bank suddenly I was motivated to do it.  I still wash the plastic bags, though.  It gives me inspiration.

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
Great work wkumtrider! These don't sounds like small steps at all!

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
I'm glad you started this thread! I get overwhelmed by some of the longer threads that have been going on for awhile. We recently switch my husband's cell phone to Republic because it was so much cheaper to buy his phone through there than to "upgrade" on my work provided Verizon plan.

I also recently started cutting out more mammal meat from my diet (pork and beef). My young boys don't particularly care for it so I decided it's not worth fighting about eating meat with dinner and we'll start to do more vegetarian. My husband isn't a huge meat eater, but he isn't ready to give mammal meat up yet. I noticed that my grocery bill yesterday was much smaller since I didn't have to purchase any meat for dinner this week!

We have also been successful in not turning on our A/C during this last week of humidity and heat.

Pennies make dollars!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:46:42 PM »
Nice! Keep on walking!

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Absolutely its going to help you.  Good job.  More importantly, you are now in the right frame of mind.  Its just a matter of time before it really starts to pay off for you.

Keep it up my friend!

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
That's awesome, OP!  I also took a small step this week.  I have a Keurig coffee maker and I found myself spending about $50 a month on coffee.  A friend of mine sent me an article about how wasteful those K-cups are because of all the plastic that gets thrown away after each cup.  My coffee maker came with a reusable K-cup that you can fill with your choice of coffee.  I went to the grocery store and got some coffee for about $9 and it's looking like it will last about a month.  So I should be saving about $40 a month.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I'm proud of my wife because she has been very cooperative with dropping cable.  We also have not been using the A/C nearly as much this season as we did last seasons, and it gets pretty humid here (only downside is the damp house).  We do use it dehumidify the house when it gets bad.