Author Topic: Shaved My Head (I'm Very Vane about My Hair)  (Read 3635 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Shaved My Head (I'm Very Vane about My Hair)
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »
Last year while listening the Tim Ferriss posts about stoicism, I was having an issue where I knew that my hair was getting a little thinner. It made me insecure. While playing with different ways to brush it, I plugged in my clippers, and before I could change my mind sent it over the top.

The following day I was acting as an expert witness in court, and when the attorneys saw me, one said "Oh!.....a summer cut." Another later confided that he thought I'd had a midlife crisis. The hair grew back, and somehow we all survived.

SAVINGS: $30 and 2-3 hours.

The time savings meant so much to me that I only get a cut now every 6 weeks, and take a half day at the office so I gain, rather than lose, family time.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Shaved My Head (I'm Very Vane about My Hair)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:20 AM »
Are you male or female?

I'm guessing from the $30 noted that you aren't female, lol.
Haircuts for hair-vain women tend to be way more than $30.

I've seriously considered shaving my head, but it would be a bit more extreme for me. Hell people freaked when I cut off 2 feet of hair and switched to a very short style.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 04:20:28 AM by Malkynn »

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 06:03:01 AM »
Are you male or female?

I'm a man, baby, as well as a ManBaby.

My oldest daughter talked about shaving her head, but when I explained that unless she wanted to portray herself more masculinity, then she'd need to girl it up a bit. Since the main goal was to not have to deal with hair she got her long curls lopped off for a Snow White cut, and has since begun coming to the barber with me for a short hairdo.

At the grocery store she worked at, more than 1 little kid said "mommy, is that a girl or a boy?" and in today's day and age, parents were silently saying, 'I'm not touching this with a 10-foot-pole.'

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
Did your last hairstyle stand up straight and was so stiff from hair spray that it caught gusts of wind and turned you about?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
Are you male or female?

My oldest daughter talked about shaving her head, but when I explained that unless she wanted to portray herself more masculinity, then she'd need to girl it up a bit. Since the main goal was to not have to deal with hair she got her long curls lopped off for a Snow White cut, and has since begun coming to the barber with me for a short hairdo.

At the grocery store she worked at, more than 1 little kid said "mommy, is that a girl or a boy?" and in today's day and age, parents were silently saying, 'I'm not touching this with a 10-foot-pole.'
"Fella from Stella" has me wondering if you made a change, but, 'I'm not touching this with a 10-foot-pole.'     :-)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »
Are you male or female?

"Fella from Stella" has me wondering if you made a change, but, 'I'm not touching this with a 10-foot-pole.'     :-)

Nice.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
I'm a lady, and I started cutting my own hair in a very short pixie about 6 months ago.  The first cut was not a total buzz, but close.  I've let it grow out a little and have learned how to trim it with scissors on top and use a razor on bottom.  Is it as nice as my $90 every 7 weeks cut?  Nope!  Do I notice little imperfections from time to time?  Definitely!  But it's plenty cute in it's own right, super low maintenance, and the price is right.

I feel like shaving your head is something everyone, man or woman, should try at least once.  It's freaking hair!  It grows back!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 06:18:05 AM »
Vain, not vane.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
I'm a lady, and I started cutting my own hair in a very short pixie about 6 months ago.  The first cut was not a total buzz, but close.  I've let it grow out a little and have learned how to trim it with scissors on top and use a razor on bottom.  Is it as nice as my $90 every 7 weeks cut?  Nope!  Do I notice little imperfections from time to time?  Definitely!  But it's plenty cute in it's own right, super low maintenance, and the price is right.

I feel like shaving your head is something everyone, man or woman, should try at least once.  It's freaking hair!  It grows back!

It's not the cutting off that's difficult, it's the growing it back out part.

My hair was less than an inch long after I cut it all off, but it's been a long 3 years of sporting some pretty unflattering styles as I grow it back out.

I have stupid complicated curly hair, so keeping it short meant frequent cuts with a very expensive stylist. I'm growing it back out because I don't have that kind of dedication to my hair. It's glorious to be back to throwing it in a pony tail when I just don't want to deal with it.

Right before I cut my hair, it was down to my waist just because I had ignored it for 7 years. For me, length allows me to be lazy.

What *was* ballsy though? I chopped off all of my hair just a few weeks before my wedding.

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
I don’t know about long hair allowing one to be lazy about it, it’s just a different kind of work. I also have stupidly curly hair, with a variety of curl types at different places on my head. To look good short, yes, it’s a lot of very frequent, very expensive cuts with my curly girl trained hair dresser. But as my hair grows longer than my shoulders, I find myself spending a lot longer every single day with the detangling and co-washing becomes much more expensive as my hair just starts sucking the conditioner up. There sort of a sweet spot at just shorter than shoulder length where I can throw it up in a ponytail but don’t spend forever combing and detangling.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
I don’t know about long hair allowing one to be lazy about it, it’s just a different kind of work. I also have stupidly curly hair, with a variety of curl types at different places on my head. To look good short, yes, it’s a lot of very frequent, very expensive cuts with my curly girl trained hair dresser. But as my hair grows longer than my shoulders, I find myself spending a lot longer every single day with the detangling and co-washing becomes much more expensive as my hair just starts sucking the conditioner up. There sort of a sweet spot at just shorter than shoulder length where I can throw it up in a ponytail but don’t spend forever combing and detangling.

Ahh, mine is absurdly easy to maintain long. Shampoo bar, no conditioner, no product, no heat styling, just air dry. I don't even need to brush it. It's curly, but super fine and never tangles.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:40 AM »

It's not the cutting off that's difficult, it's the growing it back out part.

My hair was less than an inch long after I cut it all off, but it's been a long 3 years of sporting some pretty unflattering styles as I grow it back out.

I have stupid complicated curly hair, so keeping it short meant frequent cuts with a very expensive stylist. I'm growing it back out because I don't have that kind of dedication to my hair. It's glorious to be back to throwing it in a pony tail when I just don't want to deal with it.

Right before I cut my hair, it was down to my waist just because I had ignored it for 7 years. For me, length allows me to be lazy.

+1. I'm sure it depends on the kind of hair you have, but for me, having longer hair is a lot easier than having short hair. With short hair, I ALWAYS had to make an effort with it or it looked just hideous. With long hair, I can get away with just putting it up anytime I don't have to look super put-together (which these days is most of the time). Even when I need to get dressed up and style my hair to go someplace, I'd estimate the time I spend styling my longer hair is about the same I used to have to put in for any of my shorter styles.

It's kind of a bummer, because I would love to be one of those women who could sport a super short pixie and have it just be wash and go!

Sloeginfizz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »

Ahh, mine is absurdly easy to maintain long. Shampoo bar, no conditioner, no product, no heat styling, just air dry. I don't even need to brush it. It's curly, but super fine and never tangles.

Then you won the hair lotto. My hair is super fine but thick and very prone to tangles. It would also be parched like a desert if I never used conditioner. I tried a shampoo bar with once. It was awful.  I never heat style, air dry only. It’s the combing/detangling that takes so long. 15 minutes a day or more once it gets long.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
FWIW - we've got some baldness in my family, so I decided long ago that if that's what my hair does I'm going with the only known acceptable haircut for a balding man.  The Bruce Willis.  Literally anything else you do will look bad.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 05:39:56 AM »

Amen, my sister!  The feeling of shower water falling on my bare scalp and the feeling of a cool pillow under my head are fucking awesome!  I’ve worn a shaved ‘do off and on since 2013.  Fuck the patriarchy!  Do what you wanna do! 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »

Amen, my sister!  The feeling of shower water falling on my bare scalp and the feeling of a cool pillow under my head are fucking awesome!  I’ve worn a shaved ‘do off and on since 2013.  Fuck the patriarchy!  Do what you wanna do!

What kind of job do you have? Did you experience any kind of consequences because of your shaved hairdo?

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »

What kind of job do you have? Did you experience any kind of consequences because of your shaved hairdo?

I work in the legal field. No consequences, and it turned out one guy in my building was very much into stoicism, so we had a great conversation.

However, a colleague did recently bring it up, saying he actually wondered if I was having a midlife crisis.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
Every time I see a shaved head I think chemo. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »

I'm a medical professional, and although there weren't consequences, per se, there were an enormous amount of comments, especially from older male patients who openly expressed their disdain for my new look.

I rather firmly reminded many of them that their personal preferences in terms of attractiveness in women had no bearing on my ability to treat their pussing infections.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »

I'm a medical professional, and although there weren't consequences, per se, there were an enormous amount of comments, especially from older male patients who openly expressed their disdain for my new look.

I rather firmly reminded many of them that their personal preferences in terms of attractiveness in women had no bearing on my ability to treat their pussing infections.

I can totally imagine that yes, I can already hear all the older creeps telling you that they're sure you'd be such a pretty woman if you had long hair. Much more feminine. Bla bla bla. I honestly don't get why they even think that's appropriate, or useful information for you. My gastroenterologist (male in his 50s) has a haircut I don't like. I can't imagine wasting his time by telling him that.

I'm in the legal field as well and as I'm not a fella I doubt my employer would be happy if I went bald, just to try it out. I also have super easy to maintain long hair so I do save a lot of time by having it long. Air dry, a quick brush in the morning and I can just put it in a bun or ponytail, or take 10 minutes for a French roll for special occasions.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »

[/quote]

I work for the government and I work in the big city.  I would say no negative consequences, just a few ignorant coworkers making ignorant remarks.  I get the most compliments from men 50-65 strangely enough :)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 06:48:14 PM »
This week I find out if I get a promotion to a new office. Interviewed was over the phone.

I'm thinking of taking 2-3 weeks between the start dates and shaving my head again with a quick cut before the first day.

Of course, that would involve getting hired for the new gig and them allowing me the delayed start date. We'll see.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
Following up on this.

I got a haircut 2 months ago for a job interview and have a decent wa-fro (white boy afro) going. If I brush it with a dab of hair conditioner, it doesn't look half bad to the point that twice this week I've been asked "when did you get a haircut?"

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 06:46:27 AM »

I’m also in the legal field, but not the kind of legal job where I need to be going to court or worried about getting clients.  So I got nothing more negative than a raised eyebrow (which I chalk up primarily to surprise rather than disapproval) but also many compliments (all from women). I think it helped that I had short hair anyway, so not so drastic.  But super short hair is pretty common among women at this point.  As long as the rest of your appearance is professional, I doubt it would be a problem.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 07:05:17 AM »
I used to pay $20 for a haircut every 3 weeks. Started shaving my head weekly in 2014, and haven't looked back since. If you figure the cost savings + 8% annual compounding, that's QUITE a LOT of $$$$$.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
I used to pay $20 for a haircut every 3 weeks. Started shaving my head weekly in 2014, and haven't looked back since. If you figure the cost savings + 8% annual compounding, that's QUITE a LOT of $$$$$.

That's the way to do it. A police officer I knew said he hated getting weekly cuts. The hours were long already, and he once fell asleep in the barber shop! So he started shaving it off. Then he went undercover and could grow it long.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Our family started cutting our hair care expenses significantly recently.  I bought hair clippers few years ago and never opened it until late last year. First I started using them on me, then my baby.
My wife's regular salon lady, moved states, so she got hair cut at normal salon for $15 and asked to me color her hair. I did it twice so far and she likes it!

Most expensive hair care we buy now is for our dog. $45 four times a year.

Every two months we used to pay:
My hair - $18
My son - $25
My wife - $120

Now we pay:
My hair - $0
My son  - $0
Wife - $15

Likely we will save $350 per year going forward.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »
Our family started cutting our hair care expenses significantly recently.  I bought hair clippers few years ago and never opened it until late last year. First I started using them on me, then my baby.
My wife's regular salon lady, moved states, so she got hair cut at normal salon for $15 and asked to me color her hair. I did it twice so far and she likes it!

Most expensive hair care we buy now is for our dog. $45 four times a year.

Every two months we used to pay:
My hair - $18
My son - $25
My wife - $120

Now we pay:
My hair - $0
My son  - $0
Wife - $15

Likely we will save $350 per year going forward.

And your son can cut hair through college. How cool would that be?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!