Author Topic: Share Your Work Perks!  (Read 25776 times)

kbray003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Share Your Work Perks!
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
My husband works for a major airline and we both can fly standby for free. 

My office allows us to bring in our recycling.  I would have to pay for recycling in my neighborhood, so I just take it to work. 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:27 PM »
I get to use my personal card for everything and get reimbursed. It's not a ton ($1500 per year?) but it helps rack up points and makes sure I get things like CSR travel reimbursements.

IRS mileage reimbursement means my car actually ends up paying for itself since I don't upgrade after 50K like my similarly situated coworkers.

Free coffee/cappuccino/tea machine, sodas and La Croix.

Able to work remotely within reason.

3% safe harbor salary match regardless of whether or not I contribute.

Company cell phone (iPhone 6s)

I'd love a fitness center or time in my day to go workout though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
IRS mileage reimbursement means my car actually ends up paying for itself since I don't upgrade after 50K like my similarly situated coworkers.

Unless you built your car from donated parts, and it's solar, I'm not sure how it pays for itself on mileage... mileage is a deduction, not a credit. :p

My mileage pays for gas, oil changes, and occasional maintenance, but not tires or major repair work, and certainly not the car payment itself.

I consider a work-car minimum mileage to be 150k before trade-in, but like you, I know a lot of people who do it when they "get bored" or hit 50k or so.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

Unless you built your car from donated parts, and it's solar, I'm not sure how it pays for itself on mileage... mileage is a deduction, not a credit. :p

My mileage pays for gas, oil changes, and occasional maintenance, but not tires or major repair work, and certainly not the car payment itself.

I consider a work-car minimum mileage to be 150k before trade-in, but like you, I know a lot of people who do it when they "get bored" or hit 50k or so.
Paid off used car, $16,000 walk out the door price. $.535/ mile. Every 30,000 miles driven, I pay for that car. Of course there is car insurance, tires, and oil changes, but I'll also drive more than 30K miles for work. Toyota maintenance is super cheap and I haven't had a problem with the car yet.

It's fuzzy math for sure, but I'm definitely in the black on the car.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »
Paid off used car, $16,000 walk out the door price. $.535/ mile. Every 30,000 miles driven, I pay for that car. Of course there is car insurance, tires, and oil changes, but I'll also drive more than 30K miles for work. Toyota maintenance is super cheap and I haven't had a problem with the car yet.

.535/mile x 30,000 miles = $16,050

16,050*(your current tax rate) = refund

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »

Huh? I get mileage reimbursement checks. Not deduction. And because it's reimbursement it's not taxed as income.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »

Huh? I get mileage reimbursement checks. Not deduction. And because it's reimbursement it's not taxed as income.

Oh. You actually work for the IRS. That's an amazing reimbursement. Tip of the hat.

I drive that much with no reimbursement except the tax deduction. ><

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2017, 06:13:15 PM »

Oh. You actually work for the IRS. That's an amazing reimbursement. Tip of the hat.

I drive that much with no reimbursement except the tax deduction. &gt;&lt;
I don't work for the IRS (unless that's a joke that's going totally over my head, long day, sorry). I'm at a law firm that just pays out our mileage at the IRS rate.

That sucks that you only get the deduction. It's better than nothing but that's a ton of depreciation without getting fully reimbursed.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »
IRS mileage reimbursement

This was the part that tripped me up right here. :p

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »

Oh! Sorry! That's what the firm calls it. I guess it's more accurately be "IRS rate mileage reimbursement". Sorry for the confusion.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »

Oh! Sorry! That's what the firm calls it. I guess it's more accurately be "IRS rate mileage reimbursement". Sorry for the confusion.

I get reimbursed the same way for mileage if there's no university vehicle available, but my place calls it the "federal rate."

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »
Ah, I was once on a project for work where I drove 50 miles each way every day...and got reimbursed for it.  In my '95 Corolla, getting 35 mpg.  I was taking home $1k/mo in reimbursement.  Yes, absolutely that car paid for itself during that time.

47%MMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »
I seem to have golden handcuffs galore but the most ironic is that they pay for all my gas but yet I still ride my bike to work. It's nice on the weekends when we take the fam places though.

Bbqmustache

• Stubble
    • Financial Literacy Conversations
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »
Free lunch daily from the deli downstairs, just gets put on our expense account.  Salad with cranberries and nuts is good!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »
Free iPhone, unlimited everything. They don't care if I use it for personal stuff or put Facebook or YouTube or any other data sucking non-work related personal apps on it.

24 days of PTO and the option to buy 5 more (so basically like an unpaid week of PTO).

Subsidized bus pass so I only pay about $20 per month for unlimited rides on any metro bus or light rail.

Free flu shots given out on-site in the fall, our insurance covers them at 100% too but this just saves me the hassle of having to go to the doctor.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
Interesting seeing what everyone gets!

At my job we get:
10% 401k contribution, we have to contribute 6%, this was one reason I took the job!
12 pto days, tons of sick time, 1 week extra off at Xmas and I think 14 holidays (I get a few my husband doesn’t get working for the state govt)
Free lunch for everyone’s birthday (15/yr), birthday persons choice of restaurant. Lots of other free lunches, meals for random things
Free coffee, tea, espresso, hot chocolate, and whatever else can be made in our Kerrigan and nessprsso machine, office admin will order any pod you want
Popcorn machine, stocked
Annual bonus and normally a mid year bonus
Option to extend work trips for cheap vacations...I’ve done Dubai, France and Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Montreal  and Austria is coming up soon.

Maybe some other stuff? It’s a pretty sweet gig.

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
DH gets:
3% 401k non-matching contribution
5% 401k match (with 10% contribution bonuses included)
$1500 HSA contribution
charity match up to $5000
Standard 12 PTO, and holidays but also ability to work remotely (great longer stays visiting family etc)
really good medical, custom health goal plans and coaches with healthyroads and doctors on demand among others

plus
snacks, drinks and lots of parties, free meals and charity work days
ping pong
Spanish class
discounts to local zoo and amusement parks

My favorite is that 8% contribution, it makes net go way up! Pretty sure DH's favorite is the ping pong table. He is reigning doubles champ. lol

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »
This has been really great, everyone has such different options and perks!

Keep them coming!  I'm going to negotiate a raise in December and would love to have a handful of perks up my sleeve to request when we start reaching a number.  Y'all rock!

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
My company contributes 11% of my salary to retirement!! Also use of cell phone, which amounts to $80 a month. Until last year has amazing health insurance for about $200 a month, but sadly, effect of Ocare were finally felt and they had to raise premiums 100%.

And of course, I get to go to conferences form time to time, so kind of free travel.

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »
Free cold brew and free beer on tap. There are some snacks, but they don't amount to much. 4.5% pension contribution without having to contribute anything, and a 5% 401k match. $1,000 contribution to my HSA provided I jump through a few hoops.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Iphone with unlimited data, mobile hotspot with unlimited data, free gym membership, free public transit pass, can apply my frequent flyer accounts towards business travel (and pocket unspent per diem). I also get free healthcare, 30 days paid vacation, and complete strangers like shaking my hand.

DW works from home for a law firm out of state.

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
I haven't bought a new computer in ten years. Our work issues new laptops/desktops about every three years and gives the old ones away to employees. Take laptop, install SSD (if not already), double the RAM, reimage the OS, and you have an almost new laptop/desktop ready to rock and roll.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
- Company bought and pays for my cell-phone (although I'm on call all the time with it...).
- Company provided me with computer, which I can also use personally, and that is mine even if I leave.
- I can work from home (or, as a coworker did last winter, from Costa Rica for a few weeks).
- Free coffee.
- Occasional champagne with lunch if we have a particularly excellent month or milestone.

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
Old job used to provide:
- 6% 401(k) match
- Fully stocked beer and liquor
- All the food you could ever want. Seriously I got fat working there.
- Cotton candy machine
- Unlimited PTO (which is actually kind of bad, it REALLY meant no ACTUAL time off)
- Work from home basically whenever
- Lots of team lunches, happy hours, etc.
- Paid cell phone

Basically ALL of those perks went away shortly after I stopped working there.