Author Topic: Share your Paleo Badassity!  (Read 32074 times)

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
Re: Share your Paleo Badassity!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Trying something inspired by Paleo but modified to be something I can do with my current skillset, with mental earmarks to acquire the skill I need to do what I'm shortcutting.

My goal was and still is weight loss.  The last time I got checked the only risk factor my doctor identified was weight.  Cholesterol and blood sugar and triglicerwhatevers are fine.

Grocery shopping:

There is literally nothing I buy now that I used to get from 3 months ago.  In that 3 months, I've lost 45 lbs.

I buy meat, whatever looks like the best deal per pound.  It's usually at the end of it's grocery store shelf life, so it's going home to be immediately cooked or frozen.  It's always beef or pork, sometimes fish though cheap fish is...you deserve what happens to you...

I buy eggs, whatever eggs are cheapest per unit.  Sometimes I'll pay slightly more for larger eggs, but usually not.

Butter.  This is the only "processed" food I buy, but it is essential to get enough fats, for me.  This is something I have earmarked to do better at.

Vegetables.  I know I need a double handful of veggies for each meal, so I look for whatever I can steam or stir-fry that will get me that cheapest.  I avoid the higher calorie ones, as I'm trying to lose weight.

Salt.  I can't really cook for shit yet, and I didn't like vegetables to begin with, but I found that by salting them I can force the whole thing down.  I'm starting to both like vegetables and realize that by not eating any baked goods or sweets, I'm probably not getting enough salt.  I base that on salt tasting really really good now and my sweat no longer tastes salty.

My grocery bill has gone from $90/wk to $28/wk.  I don't buy milk, cheese, soda, beer, chicken, bacon, anything baked, anything that comes in a box (aside from butter and eggs).  Everything I get fits in a backpack, only feeding one person though.

I occasionally buy in-season fruit as a treat.  Seeded grapes are particularly cheap, and I prefer them so I usually won't pass them up.

The dinner meal is usually a portion of grilled meat with 2 handfuls of vegetables, buttered and salted to delicious.  Lots of pepper as well.  If I am really hungry (like worked in the yard all day or whatever) then I'll crack an egg over the grilled meat and let it cook on the stove until the egg is done.  I cook more than I'll eat, and the leftover goes into a microwavable dish to take to work tomorrow.

For breakfast it will be some more of the grilled meat with some eggs and some sliced veggies in a skillet, just mix until it's all done.  Some would call it an omelette, my presentation looks more like a mash.

It's all quite tasty most of the time.

Health benefits:

Weight loss, I am in total shock over how much I eat and how much weight I've lost.  I eat literally to the bursting point all day long, bread was just doing something to me.

Acid reflux:  I'd gotten to the point where I could no longer tolerate things like beef.  At least, I thought it was the beef.  Turns out it was the sugar and flour.  This has gone away completely.  Tums used to be a line item in my budget, I haven't had one in 3 months.

Attitude:  I seem better able to focus on projects and get things done.  I no longer feel like total ass all weekend.  It's easier to get through the day at work, I don't get sleepy after eating.

Sleeping:  I'm having trouble sleeping, but I think this is just a side-effect of how quickly the weight has changed.  I don't have quite as much fat holding me at night, feels lonely!

What's also surprising is that this has been effective despite me cheating on it all the time.  I have no willpower when it comes to food.  The girl scouts got me, 8 boxes of cookies eaten in one week.  Pizza at lunch meetings at work, donuts in the morning.  Free soda everytime I turn around.  But as far as what I buy at the grocery store, Paleo saved my budget and my waistline.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:14 AM »

Salt.  I can't really cook for shit yet, and I didn't like vegetables to begin with, but I found that by salting them I can force the whole thing down.  I'm starting to both like vegetables and realize that by not eating any baked goods or sweets, I'm probably not getting enough salt.  I base that on salt tasting really really good now and my sweat no longer tastes salty.

If you're adding salt to foods you're probably still getting way more sodium than your body needs.  There are many herbs you can use and acids that will add that salty flavor and be healthier.  I've never seen anyone "not get enough salt"  especially to the level you are using it to season everything.  remember all that meat your eating has sodium in it.  I would try to gut the added salt by adding herbs and spices to flavor your dishes you will find its much better.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 10:40:02 AM »
If you're adding salt to foods you're probably still getting way more sodium than your body needs.  There are many herbs you can use and acids that will add that salty flavor and be healthier.  I've never seen anyone "not get enough salt"  especially to the level you are using it to season everything.  remember all that meat your eating has sodium in it.  I would try to gut the added salt by adding herbs and spices to flavor your dishes you will find its much better.

Not true.  Your body is quite efficient at ridding itself of excess sodium, which is why you're thirsty after eating something salty.  Only 5% of ALL cases of high blood pressure are related to salt sensitivity.  I use sea salt and since I've taken processed food out of my diet I find myself using less salt than I did using regular salt and eating processed food.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
Acid reflux:  I'd gotten to the point where I could no longer tolerate things like beef.  At least, I thought it was the beef.  Turns out it was the sugar and flour.  This has gone away completely.  Tums used to be a line item in my budget, I haven't had one in 3 months.

Attitude:  I seem better able to focus on projects and get things done.  I no longer feel like total ass all weekend.  It's easier to get through the day at work, I don't get sleepy after eating.

Ditto these both, plus weight loss and money saved by me not feeling the need/impulse to pick up junk food here or there.

Like others, my general recipe is straightforward:

meat/eggs/fish + at least 2 vegs + oil/fat/butter + seasonings = meal

It's just the configuration that changes. Could be (for example) salad + protein; could be soup made with protein plus vegs/veg "noodles"; could be stir-fry/saute of all mixed together; could be veg (e.g., 2 pepper halves) stuffed with meat/fat combo. For additional variety, add additional fat/fun like nuts, olives, sour cream (if do dairy), etc.

I shop sales, eat in-season (cheaper), eat lots of crucifers (most are always affordable), stock up when sales are good. (Our chest freezer has to live in our living room, but it's still the best purchase I've ever made.) I also personally don't get too stressed out about whether the meat is perfect or blessed by virgins. I do what grass-fed I can, but for me and my body, eating grain-fed beef is still infinitely better than eating grain itself. As even Mark Sisson pointed out, don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

Not true.  Your body is quite efficient at ridding itself of excess sodium, which is why you're thirsty after eating something salty.  Only 5% of ALL cases of high blood pressure are related to salt sensitivity.  I use sea salt and since I've taken processed food out of my diet I find myself using less salt than I did using regular salt and eating processed food.

ALL SALT IS SEA SALT

where do you think it came from

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
and just because your body is good at ridding it self of something isnt a reason to over do something... my body is good at pooping but i'm not gonna eat more poo b/c its good at getting rid of it.

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
I try to eat "somewhat" Paleo/Primal but it can be difficult due to other family members' food preferences. I admit I've fallen off the wagon pretty hard in recent months, with the baby and all. (Nursing baby is actually a really good reason to get back ON the wagon, but time! Time is always an issue.)

I'll be interested to follow along on this thread.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 02:27:35 PM »
I try to eat "somewhat" Paleo/Primal but it can be difficult due to other family members' food preferences. I admit I've fallen off the wagon pretty hard in recent months, with the baby and all. (Nursing baby is actually a really good reason to get back ON the wagon, but time! Time is always an issue.)

how is time an issue.. i assume you're eating every day so all you have to do is eat something different than whatever anti paleo thing you're eating

madamwitty

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »

how is time an issue.. i assume you're eating every day so all you have to do is eat something different than whatever anti paleo thing you're eating

Here are a few reasons off the top of my head. Sorry if you think they are B.S. but in the midst of parenting 3 kids (including 4 month old baby) they are very much real to me:

1. Lack of time to cook from scratch....or plan/cook freezer meals...I would much rather cook eggs for my kids in the morning, but often cereal is what we have time for.

2. Lack of time to experiment with Paleo-friendly foods my kids will eat. Yes, yes, we all know we shouldn't only cook foods our kids will eat. My policy is that the kids have to eat what I cook for them and I am not a short-order cook. But sometimes I just get sick of hearing "that's YUCKY"! I am lucky enough to have a few go-to paleo-friendly meals that the kids will eat, but not enough to get through the week, every week.

3. Lack of time to go to multiple stores each week. I could get everything I want at one store, but it would cost an arm and a leg. Given the time constraint, it's a tradeoff between Paleo-friendly and grocery budget.

4. Lack of time for meal planning. Usually I can manage to have the ingredients I need on hand, but it harder to remember to thaw the meat from the freezer ahead of time. Or remember too late that THIS was the day I was going to use the crock pot.

5. Lack of time - at the right time - to supervise REAL cooking. It can be hard to do a stir fry or grill if I have to nurse the baby NOW or wipe poop off my potty-training toddler's butt...and pants...and floor...

6. Lack of time for SLEEP. Ultimately, all the other reasons come down to the fact that it can be a drudge to get through the day and I do not always have the energy to DEAL with it. Theoretically if I could "get my act together" and have a ton of Paleo-friendly and kid-friendly ingredients, recipes, etc. all on hand it would be second nature to do all-paleo all the time. But I'm not there yet.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:28 AM »
Pulled pork has to be the easiest, cheapest, tastiest thing on the planet. I pay $1.60 per pound, and the only extras are low carb marinade materials and a lot of spice rub (bought as separate ingredients in bulk and mixed). All the ingredients are cheap. Marinate in Worcestershire/liquid smoke, add copious amounts of dry rub, and stick it in the oven for 1.5 hours per pound at 225F. When internal temp reaches 200F it's done.I basically buy it at 5PM, have it marinating by 6PM, in the oven by 10PM, and out of the oven at noon the next day. The oven method is very effective and way easier than a smoker.

This seriously makes a lot of food (8-10 lb uncooked weight pork shoulder is more than enough to last the week) and is quite inexpensive. Make/buy a nice low carb BBQ sauce and you have your high-fat meat source taken care of for the week. Also helps with making friends because you can share :)

I don't do Paleo per se, as I can't give up craft beer, but I do eat a low carb diet due to type II diabetes. It's more effective than the hundreds or thousands of dollars in medication per month I'd otherwise be taking to reducing my blood sugar. My doctor was floored by how much weight I lost and how much my blood work improved when I started the diet. I have excel plots of the weight loss and blood work (done every 2 months by a lab when I was starting out). Fasting blood glucose went from 124 to 74 over a six month period, 75 pounds lost, cholesterol was the same (already good) but triglycerides improved.

Miracle way of eating as far as I'm concerned. It can be expensive though. Stay away from frankenfoods and commercial low carb products and get the cheap cuts of meat and cook 'em the lazy slow way to help keep the costs down.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:03:36 AM by acanthurus »

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2015, 04:24:47 AM »
Pulled pork has to be the easiest, cheapest, tastiest thing on the planet. I pay $1.60 per pound, and the only extras are low carb marinade materials and a lot of spice rub (bought as separate ingredients in bulk and mixed). All the ingredients are cheap. Marinate in Worcestershire/liquid smoke, add copious amounts of dry rub, and stick it in the oven for 1.5 hours per pound at 225F. When internal temp reaches 200F it's done.I basically buy it at 5PM, have it marinating by 6PM, in the oven by 10PM, and out of the oven at noon the next day. The oven method is very effective and way easier than a smoker.

Oh, but doing it the real way in the smoker tastes soooooo much better!  Cooking meat using a wood fire is the truly primal way to do it.  Yes, it's a day long commitment, but I like tending a fire, and the results are out-of-this-world.  Just don't ruin it with one of those sugary bottled sauces.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2015, 05:35:11 AM »

Oh, but doing it the real way in the smoker tastes soooooo much better!  Cooking meat using a wood fire is the truly primal way to do it.  Yes, it's a day long commitment, but I like tending a fire, and the results are out-of-this-world.  Just don't ruin it with one of those sugary bottled sauces.

If you think smoking is hard you're doing it way wrong.   its no time commitment

Step 1. buy this http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Controller/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1426678343&sr=1-2

Step 2. buy this http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Step 3. Buy pellets - i get them for a dollar a lb on CL in my area.  40 lbs has lasted me 2 years now and i smoke over 2x a month. 

Step 4. Buy a blow torch or heat gun if you dont already have one.

Step 5. put the meat on

Step 6. relax until its done - i recommend a maverick temp probe so you dont have to open to check the temp thus saving you time/smoke/energy.

Step 7. enjoy

Also found this site the other day

http://www.primallyinspired.com/

Just a wealth of awesome recipes. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:37 AM »

+1. I love doing pulled pork. I cook it on a bed of onions, and then serve it over lightly seared cabbage strings. ("Cabbage pasta"). Such an easy versatile meal.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »
^I love sauteed cabbage as "pasta." Even more than zucchini noodles -- which surprised the hell out of me.

I don't do Paleo per se, as I can't give up craft beer, but I do eat a low carb diet due to type II diabetes. It's more effective than the hundreds or thousands of dollars in medication per month I'd otherwise be taking to reducing my blood sugar.

Amen to this.

Has anyone else noticed an odd uptick in the price of beef lately? We're scouting new home locations (we're in the NY/NJ/PA area), and while checking possible grocery stores in PA, we found beef prices jacked up by almost 50% from what we're used to. But then we got home again, and found similar (though not as bad) at home. Somehow while we were in the car for 2 hours, regional beef prices rose. :/

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2015, 04:03:56 AM »
Has anyone else noticed an odd uptick in the price of beef lately? We're scouting new home locations (we're in the NY/NJ/PA area), and while checking possible grocery stores in PA, we found beef prices jacked up by almost 50% from what we're used to. But then we got home again, and found similar (though not as bad) at home. Somehow while we were in the car for 2 hours, regional beef prices rose. :/

Beef prices have been insane for the last few years.  It all started with a drought in the Midwest, which drove grain prices through the roof and caused ranchers and feed lots to reduce their herds.  Grain prices have gone back down, but the beef herd hasn't recovered yet.  I still can't find 85% lean ground beef for less than $4/lb.  I love smoked brisket, but even whole packers are hard to find at less than $4/lb.  So, we're eating a lot of pork and chicken.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2015, 05:32:35 AM »

Beef prices have been insane for the last few years.  It all started with a drought in the Midwest, which drove grain prices through the roof and caused ranchers and feed lots to reduce their herds.  Grain prices have gone back down, but the beef herd hasn't recovered yet.  I still can't find 85% lean ground beef for less than $4/lb.  I love smoked brisket, but even whole packers are hard to find at less than $4/lb.  So, we're eating a lot of pork and chicken.

I love Burnt Ends and aldi had just the points corned for st pats for 2 bucks a pound.  Pastrami burnt ends anyone? i bought 30 lbs they are so damn good and i dont have to smoke the whole packer just to get to my burnt ends. 

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2015, 08:09:53 AM »
GF and I just wrapped up Whole30.  Dropped ~15lbs, leaned out quite a bit, feel great, and enjoying life!

Also, sweet potatoes have become a passion of mine.  Cube in 1/2" cubes, toss with olive oil, salt, and TONS of rosemary, then roast at 350 for 1.5 hours on a cookie sheet moving them around occasionally.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »
for those  on 4 hour body that allows beans.  using Socca dough as a pizza crust is outstanding!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »
ITT: People eating eating like primal humans who had a life expectancy of 40 years. Because, logic.

Because, infant mortality rate and a lack of trauma medicine.

Because, good data.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »
ITT: People eating eating like primal humans who had a life expectancy of 40 years. Because, logic.

many other things played a role in that life expectancy besides diet.  and the proof is in the results of the thousands of people who follow these diets for life.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
lets stop feeding the troll

Juliekay

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
I also do Paleo.  I try to eat very high quality meat and cheaper veggies.  I eat basically a lot of chicken and eggs.  I get only a certain amount of bacon/sausage per month and when it's gone it's gone.  I have the good fortune to be part of a community food reclamation project with veggies given to us from stores.  I get basically all my veggies from it. I also volunteer at a food coop for food credits to use for good meat. I have a very streamlined use of chicken. 
Day 1 Roast Chicken daughter gets leg, I get some breast.  Fill out with veggies.
Day 2 Other leg/thigh and wings for one meal.  Next make chicken salad from breast.
Day 3 Pull off all other meat leftover.  Put bones in crockpot with vinegar for bone broth.
Day 3 Make soup from broth and leftover chicken or freeze broth and use chicken for a stir fry

Breakfast eggs or bacon/sausage and sautéed greens, mushrooms, sometimes with sweet potatoes.
Or with buckwheat pancakes, with grass fed butter and maple syrup/honey

lunch is one of meals above.  Veggies depend on what came through the food reclamation project.  I feel like weight control is effortless with this diet.  Love talking about it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 07:23:14 AM »
I am not Paleo but I am grain-free.  I do miss pancakes, is your recipe without flour?  If so, please post.  ;-)

Maple syrup, yum, the season is about to start here.  My maple trees are babies, so I have to wait about 20 years, but lots of people around here have sugar bushes.

Or with buckwheat pancakes, with grass fed butter and maple syrup/honey

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:58 AM »
Look up coconut flour pancakes

Juliekay

« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
It's either bobs red mill or arrowhead buckwheat flour. They are more dense than regular pancakes but you also don't have to make a big investment in a bunch of more expensive specialty flours eeither

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
GF and I just wrapped up Whole30.  Dropped ~15lbs, leaned out quite a bit, feel great, and enjoying life!

Also, sweet potatoes have become a passion of mine.  Cube in 1/2" cubes, toss with olive oil, salt, and TONS of rosemary, then roast at 350 for 1.5 hours on a cookie sheet moving them around occasionally.

Will try this today - thanks!

Meanwhile today I've just started an Tomato-base African Stew in my slowcooker:

Tomato-base African Stew

Layer:
1 (sweet) potato, diced
1 carrot, diced
800g meat (I use something cheap and sinewy like beef neck)
1 bell pepper
1 onion
a handful of dried apricots and/or raisins. Just whatever you've got lying around.
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
Cumin (seeds best, powder ok)
Paprika
Coriander (crushed seeds best, powder ok)
Salt and pepper
(optionally cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon)
1 can of tomatoes (crushed, pureed, etc - whatever you've got)
a little more than 1 cup of chicken stock.

Low for 8 hours or high for 4 1/2.

I also throw in a dash of apple vinegar or wine depending on how sinewy the meat is and whether I'm cooking on low or high heat.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:53:20 PM by dungoofed »

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2015, 01:58:23 AM »
Danglestash are you sure 1.5 hours is correct for the above? After an hour mine were already completely dried out and a bit charred. Any longer and they may have combusted.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
Sorry for the delay - I'm not sure if something was up with my oven or not, but I basically let them cook until they're over-done and start to caramelize.  It's probably a YMMV with oven times then, but both times I did it (both on GE gas ovens, one  on natural gas, one on propane) I did them for about that much time.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »
Just bought hamburger 80/20 for $3 lb and chicken breasts for $1 lb.   Scooped up on a months supply of protein for the fam of 3 for $70.     Loss leaders rock.  I know it isn't grass feed yadda, yadda but it fits my paleo budget.  Now we just need to ad some fresh and frozen veggies for about    $200 for the month and we are at our $3 per day per person level with a fairly healthy,  grain free diet.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
Well done, Bob W.

Juliekay

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
MadamWitty,

Try putting the frozen meat in the crockpot. It will slowly cook and defrost at the same time while rendering melt in your mouth results and broth.  You can put it in there a full 24 hours ahead of time if need be. Hope this helps.

Julie

geekgrrl0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »
This is one of my favorite topics!

1. We buy half or whole animals. There are two of us and our freezer is full enough to last us until October of this year at least (probably closer to December). It's a big investment up front, but it's worth it if you eat a lot of meat (and we want our money going to the small farmer/rancher who treats their herd as living beings worthy of dignity. We searched for ranchers and then took road trips to visit the ranches and meet the delicious critters. These we count as cheap vacations because we really enjoy doing it, so not factoring in time/cost of research/travel into the meat cost). It has averaged out to about $200/month for our meat budget, about 1/3 of our total grocery budget. Since we eat meat every single meal, I would say it's a good price. (We also reduced our eating out budget, from ~$1000/month to barely over $200/month, because we can't find meat that tastes this good outside of high-priced farm to table restaurants.) This past year:

• Half - Scottish Highland steer - $5/lb with liver/heart/tongue thrown in for free (we actually got two of each because the person who bought the other steer had no interest. Free protein!) This guy was small, which is why we purchased another half with a friend below.
  • Quarter (Half split with a friend)- Murray Gray steer - $5/lb (also with multiple livers from the five steer he slaughtered that season. Why does no one eat the cheap protein?) Huge steer, which is why we had to share the half!
  • Whole - Red Wattle Hog - Average $3/lb (bacon and sausage were $4.50/lb and everything else was $2.50/lb) - This pig almost has me believing in a god, so damn tasty!

2. Eat tongue, liver, heart...These are cheap cuts of meat and if you slow cook them, they can be delicious. For the liver, we had to work up to developing a taste so we pureed it, froze it in ice cube trays, and throw in a cube or 3 when we good ground meat or stew in the slow cooker. Tongue...took me some research but found out if you slow cook it, you can cut the outer tough layer off and the inside is the consistency of shredded beef/pork...great for tacos! I think Mark's Daily Apple has some good recipes for organ meats. **Disclaimer**With organ meats, I would strongly suggest only eating grass-fed, grass-finished "happy meat" animals.

Juliekay

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
Geekgrll, that's comparable to what I pay for good meat.  I also eat meat at almost every meal.  I fill out the plate with salads, mostly non-starchy veggies and the occasional sweet potato. Eat a lot of eggs.  Some say Paleo is too expensive and I just counter that ill health is more expensive.  And just point to my body as proof.

schoopsthecat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
If you guys haven't read Dr. Peter Attia's blog, it's awesome.  I've lost a ton of weight eating this way.  It's close to paleo, sometimes ketogenic, and not so much a diet as a lot of info about the current science of nutrition from an oncologist who became obsessed with studying nutritional effects on himself after becoming pre-diabetic.

eatingacademy.com

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
If you guys haven't read Dr. Peter Attia's blog, it's awesome.  I've lost a ton of weight eating this way.  It's close to paleo, sometimes ketogenic, and not so much a diet as a lot of info about the current science of nutrition from an oncologist who became obsessed with studying nutritional effects on himself after becoming pre-diabetic.

eatingacademy.com

I love Dr. Attia! Did you know he recently stopped doing keto though? Interesting discussion, one of Tim Ferriss' podcasts he talked about why.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
We've been eating healthier (attempted Paleo) for a couple years now.  My boyfriend has been more Paleo than me (so in reality, I am not Paleo), and his numbers went from skewed to perfect.  I am another case, however:

Total Cholesterol:  277 (previously 282)
HDL: 52 (previously 49)
LDL: 201 (previously 197)
Triglycerides: 120 (previously 180)

I am curious to see how strict Paleo will affect these numbers, if at all.  When I told my doctor that I spent the previous 4-day weekend eating an assortment of brownies, cakes, cookies, beignets, chocolates, cupcakes, cheese cakes, etc., she encouraged me to eat more of that stuff to put more fat on because she's not comfortable with me being at my normal, non-fluctuating weight (the women in my family have small frames; we are very petite)!  Wowza!  And she is [unsuccessfully attempting through fear tactics] putting me on Lipitor and sending me to a lipidologist for further help!  No one even bothered to ask about my diet or exercise habits, otherwise.  That seemed real odd to me - we just jump to the pharmacy for help.

Besides getting over the intense sugar addiction, I anticipate my greatest problems will be sitting all day at work in my cube, and all the tasty treats people always bring in.  Food waste breaks my heart so people bring leftovers to me to finish up because they know I have such a hard time sending something that has *some* form of sustenance in it to the garbage.  :(

In awesome news, we bought chicken breasts on sale for $1.68/lb and we stocked up!  And the Brussels Sprouts were on sale for $1.49/lb so we grabbed 5 lbs of them (they'll be gone by the end of the week)... And the asparagus and broccoli, oh my!  Wish me luck! :)

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
Just started the Paleo lifestyle. I've had a tough time finding cheap meals as well, but am supplemented by the fact that there are free fruits, deli meats, and almonds/cashews at my job.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »
I've been low-carb off and on for years, and went dedicated low-carb in November. Recently, I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, so now I am wheat-free/primal-ish (I have no intention of giving up dairy and I have beans/peanut butter a couple of times a month). I've been transitioning the rest of the family over to the same way of eating, just to simplify kitchen time for me. The exceptions are I still buy flour tortillas for their breakfast burritos and a loaf of bread each week for their sandwich cravings. I'm not concerned with cross-contamination -- this isn't gluten-sensitivity but an actual allergy to only wheat that results in hives when I eat it.

So our grocery bill jumped up from $250 per month to $350 per month once I switched over to 99% grain-free. Honestly, if I got rid of the dairy it would probably drop back down. I'm feeding me, the husband, a 15 yr old boy, and a 10 yr old boy. Boys are both huge eaters. I'm using the same shopping method I always have, which is optimized to provide simplicity at the lowest price. This means there is some give and take on price and food quality so it stays simple and within budget. I could find cheaper sources for some items, but that wouldn't be as simple. We also garden/preserve heavily and have our own source for free-range eggs -- the ducks we keep in the backyard.

Basically, I have a recipe book with about 50 recipes in it, that I have assembled. I recently went through and purged it off all wheat, so it is pretty in-line with primal habits except for a couple of bean dishes. I also have a list of every single item necessary to make these recipes. This list contains 75 items (not counting herbs/spices). Next to each item I have an amount written, which is an amount that should last us about 1 month. Most staple items are on 3 month sales cycles.

When I make my grocery list each week, I pull out this list, see what has dropped below the 1 month level, and add it to the list. Chances are it is currently on sale or will be soon, so over the next couple weeks I'll be looking to stock up on those items. Meat and veg is purchased when good deals are found/by what's in season, and preserved or frozen. For example, I just bought a crap-ton of jalapenos over Cinco de Mayo and froze them, because they were cheap. I won't need jalapenos for at least six months, and by that time we'll be overflowing with fire-roasted green chile.

TL;DR: I'm over-organized and a bit OCD, so I have a semi-complicated to implement/simple to use system in place that ensures we always have a full pantry of foods that can be turned into about 50 different meals for a relatively low cost.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2015, 06:47:42 PM »
Well, my biggest cost saving tips have already been mentioned but here goes: buy meat in bulk direct from the farmer (we do 1/4 cow, 1/2 pig per year), subscribe to a CSA, and buy as little prepared/processed food as possible. And, we eat a lot of eggs since that is a cheaper source of protein and fat, and we have access to good quality/more humanely produced eggs.  Making simpler meals, using what we have in the house/what's on sale as opposed to buying whatever a recipe calls for, and developing a taste for paleo friendly staples we can get cheaply at ethnic grocery stores (like huge green plantains at 3 for $1) have helped bring down the grocery budget as well.  Our new one item meal is savory plantain pancakes made with eggs, coconut oil and lots of CSA veggies/herbs blended or chopped in. Optional yogurt on top for the paleo-flexible :)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
Most of my carbs are liquid ;).
Breakfast is eggs and maybe sausage, with a rare sawmill gravy over toast/biscuit.
Work lunches are homemade trail mix.
usually enjoy cooking something on days off
Supper is salad, or whatever the kids are eating.

Would like any more specific details of good things to eat. Also would like to have a good recipe for beef liver. it really cheap, lots of protein but is always a little tough/chewy when i make liver and onions.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:12 AM »
Most of my carbs are liquid ;).
Breakfast is eggs and maybe sausage, with a rare sawmill gravy over toast/biscuit.
Work lunches are homemade trail mix.
usually enjoy cooking something on days off
Supper is salad, or whatever the kids are eating.

Would like any more specific details of good things to eat. Also would like to have a good recipe for beef liver. it really cheap, lots of protein but is always a little tough/chewy when i make liver and onions.

I don't like straight liver, so I make "dog food chili". Our local grocery chain sells 1lb frozen blocks of heart, kidney, and liver all ground up. Grassfed stuff too, is the funny thing, and human grade, just humans don't eat it, so they sell it as "Dog Food". Anyway, I do 1/2-1lb of that (depending on if we'll share with company), 1/2lb of heart pieces, 1lb of steak, and 1/2lb of sausage along with my other chili ingredients.