Author Topic: Share your homemade pizza  (Read 46940 times)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Share your homemade pizza
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2017, 05:24:15 PM »
As for having perfectly round pizza... I gave up that goal long ago.  As long as it tastes good I don't care.  Make it in the shape of Florida, a beehive hairdo, or a trapezoid.  Whatever blows your skirt up.

The best part about pizza is, well, pizza. I totally agree

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
Posting to follow!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
Made pizza again last night.  Tried pressing the dough out onto parchment paper, then sliding the whole thing onto the hot stone with a pizza peel. Worked really well. At 500 degrees, I'm surprised the paper didn't burn, but it was fine. Family and guest said, "Best ever", which made me happy.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2017, 11:17:29 AM »
Oh man - wish I had known about this thread! I made some pizza at home for the first time on my own this weekend for my family for mothers day (my roommate showed me how to do it a couple weeks ago). Both pizzas turned out great! Wish I had gotten some pics

I used fresh mozz (a ball of it was on sale for $.99 at Kroger since "use by" was that same date).
I used the Trader Joes dough because my roommate swears by it and I didn't have time to let one rise and all that.
I used fresh basil off my basil plant on the porch.
Made the tomato sauce myself
Boom - Margherita!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
PizzaSteve, I think you and I are twins separated at birth.

Search YouTube for "NBI Pizza School" for my dough-making videos.

LOL.  Rock on.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2017, 05:47:38 AM »
I think your name should be KingPizzaSteve.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
^this is a great resource! Thanks!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »

+1

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
Oh man - wish I had known about this thread! I made some pizza at home for the first time on my own this weekend for my family for mothers day (my roommate showed me how to do it a couple weeks ago). Both pizzas turned out great! Wish I had gotten some pics

I used fresh mozz (a ball of it was on sale for $.99 at Kroger since "use by" was that same date).mustacian!
I used the Trader Joes dough because my roommate swears by it and I didn't have time to let one rise and all that.non mustacian...we can do better
I used fresh basil off my basil plant on the porch. mustacian!
Made the tomato sauce myself mustacian!
Boom - Margherita!
Great job.   By the way, if you must use fancy expensive TD dough, i recommend balling it in 250gram portions and putting in an oiled sealed container in fridge or on an oiled surface (covered with damp cloth) if you are baking within an hour or two.  The round shape greatly facilitates a round pizza, when stretching after rise.  Dust top and put with plenty of flour on surface where you will stretch the dough.  TD dough is quite wet and takes some extra flour just fine.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes I noticed it very wet as well, and my roommate recommended using some extra flour. I did have hard time rolling the dough out on the parchment paper on the counter...the parchment paper just slid everywhere and the flour kinda went everywhere too. Not sure how I could remedy that..

I'll have to look into your dough making recipe/ process some when I'm at home and see if I'm game. I think I'd rightly enjoy it. (I know this is MMM, but I can hardly see how a $1.19 for pizza dough could be termed 'expensive'. I get that it can "be made for a few cents" like most breads, but saving money would simply not be the reason I'd be choosing to make my own dough).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »
Great thread!

I use the basic dough from "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day," which makes a super tasty, thick crust. I love that it is always ready; just hanging out in the fridge in an ice cream pail. No kneading required. 

I have totally ruined myself for store bought or restaurant pizza because none taste as good as my own pizza! haha!

I parbake the dough at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes and then pull it out to add sauce and toppings. Then I crank the oven to 475 (high temp is key) and cook it till its done.

If I'm feeling lazy, we will have pizza bagels or pizza buns (English muffins) -- they are a reasonable facsimile if you're pinched for time, but certainly not gourmet tasting like the ones pictured.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2017, 03:55:33 AM »
PizzaSteve, I think you and I are twins separated at birth.

Search YouTube for "NBI Pizza School" for my dough-making videos.

LOL.  Rock on.
Farewell pizza bro...dicey and a few others dont want my type around here, so leaving the forum...it was fun.  Deleting my personal content.

WTF? Here's my last comment on this thread:

If you're serious, I, for one, will be sorry to see you go.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2018, 10:47:23 PM »
It's been a while but I dusted off my mixer and pizza stone:

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »
Anyone tried cast-iron tortilla pizzas before? One of my favorite snacks/side dishes. Literally takes 5-8 minutes to make one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdEpaPKADI

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
I voted.  Then I came home and made pizza.

Plugra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
I have always made my pizzas on parchment paper.  It's one of those great kitchen inventions, like the kitchen scale, that changes your life once you learn to use it.

Frugal tip -- Don't buy a $20-25 pizza stone. Go to Home Depot and buy a plain square 12" floor tile, for about $1. It does the same job.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
I don’t have a photo, but I made a good batch of gluten-free pizza dough from scratch today. I’ve had the recipe for a while, but this was the first time I tried it with the King Arthur measure-for-measure GF flour. Based on how much the dough puffed up while baking, I think I could roll out smaller pieces and make decent pita bread.

This flour has worked beautifully in every recipe I’ve tried, and I think it’s going to save me from buying a bunch of little bags to make my own blends this Christmas.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2018, 04:25:17 AM »
Okay, I must be the oddball here but I LOVE anchovies on my pizza and a LOT of them! It took me about 20 years but I finally got my hub to enjoy them. In fact, he is the first one to chime in to make sure we have anchovies on the pizza! It is an acquired taste but once you get it, you have to have it!

Another thing I have not had in a long, long time is a double onion, double garlic, double cheese pizza. That comes with a white sauce. Really good!

I also love mushrooms and pepperoni on pizza.

Pizza is one of the best foods on earth! DROOL!

flyingflamingo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
I love this recipe and it really couldn't be easier.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/knead-pan-pizza/

I make my own sauce (also a budget bytes recipe) and freeze it in ice cube trays, so I always have sauce on hand.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Don't know if you pizza people want to branch out a bit, but this recipe for scaccia (https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/01/stromboli/) aka it's-not-quite-stromboli is absolutely astounding. Do follow the instructions about not using too many toppings, and read through (and look at the folding pictures) first. It also makes absolutely amazing leftovers, even unheated: imagine a multi-layer pizza, and you're pretty close to the right idea.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
Today's effort.

newloginuser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
Not much of a recipe but Buffalo Chicken Pizza:

$1.99 organic dough
5.0 ounces chicken (rough amount to cover the entire pizza with chicken, way more than you get from take out/delivery or store bought) $0.78 based on $2.49/lbs.
mozzarella cheese to cover the pizza (don't actually weight it or measure) - I think we buy a $5 bag that makes four pizzas, so $1.25 roughly.
red's hot sauce - amount to your liking. A large bottle costs I believe $2.99 and they make at least 5 pizzas, so about $0.60 per pizza

Comes to around $4.63 which feeds my wife and I easily.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
Not much of a recipe but Buffalo Chicken Pizza:

$1.99 organic dough
5.0 ounces chicken (rough amount to cover the entire pizza with chicken, way more than you get from take out/delivery or store bought) $0.78 based on $2.49/lbs.
mozzarella cheese to cover the pizza (don't actually weight it or measure) - I think we buy a $5 bag that makes four pizzas, so $1.25 roughly.
red's hot sauce - amount to your liking. A large bottle costs I believe $2.99 and they make at least 5 pizzas, so about $0.60 per pizza

Comes to around $4.63 which feeds my wife and I easily.
You could probably cut the cost by about 1/3 overall by making the dough from scratch.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
I don't make pizza often, but we did splash out and make an event of it a few weeks ago using a no-knead recipe rising overnight.  Yesterday I was just gifted a sourdough starter, so I might have to do this again soon.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
^ Those pizza's look amazing! What is this no-knead dough recipe, and does it really make things easier?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
@BuffaloStache  the no-knead is pretty easy, but does take some planning ahead.  I kind of like it because I can start it the night before.  It also has extra time to ferment, with less yeast required, so it's better flavored, and I suppose you save a few cents on yeast too.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
Today's effort. I love making pizza.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »
Sigh. I don't know why my pictures always post sideways.

JSMustachian

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »
Thank you for posting this! This inspired my wife and I to make our own pizzas. It is our go to meal now when family and friends come to visit. Instead of going out to eat we make one or two home made pizza's for a couple bucks which saves us a lot of money.

Its fun for us, inexpensive, and tastes good. Visitors are usually intrigued about the home made pizza and always agree to eat at home instead of going out. 

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2019, 03:21:29 PM »
Thank you for posting this! This inspired my wife and I to make our own pizzas. It is our go to meal now when family and friends come to visit. Instead of going out to eat we make one or two home made pizza's for a couple bucks which saves us a lot of money.

Its fun for us, inexpensive, and tastes good. Visitors are usually intrigued about the home made pizza and always agree to eat at home instead of going out.

I don't really make pizza anymore because of the low carb thing, but I second that it is a great thing for guests.   Kids especially love it because they can decorate their own pizza.  It is really fun.   

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
I don’t have a photo, but I made a good batch of gluten-free pizza dough from scratch today. I’ve had the recipe for a while, but this was the first time I tried it with the King Arthur measure-for-measure GF flour. Based on how much the dough puffed up while baking, I think I could roll out smaller pieces and make decent pita bread.

This flour has worked beautifully in every recipe I’ve tried, and I think it’s going to save me from buying a bunch of little bags to make my own blends this Christmas.

Can you share the recipe, please?  I have a kid with celiac and I cannot seem to get my pizza right, which frustrates the shit out of me.

CanadianTeacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »
Love making pizza. I splurged on a 1/2 inch sheet of steel to get as close to neopolitan-style pizza in a home oven as possible.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:08:46 AM by CanadianTeacher »

Gagnante

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2019, 10:04:53 PM »
I have been very happy to use this thread as eye candy for the lack of pizza in my life due to gluten/grain issues with my husband, but I have finally found a gluten free/grain free crust that behaves very much like a real pizza crust.  My pizza isn't going to be as pretty as some, but it's quite amazing for us!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2019, 11:39:33 PM »
I think it's beautiful. Care to share the recipe?

Gagnante

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2019, 12:43:47 AM »
Absolutely!  Our crust is based on this recipe with some small modifications.  We were never able to make it not soupy so an extra cup of cassava flour plus some for forming the crusts.  We parbake it on parchment paper on a pizza stone (prick it with a fork first) 2 minutes then top it with sauce, toppings, cheese and bake it for another 9 minutes or so.

Goldendog777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
Anyone have a great whole wheat pizza dough recipe to share?  I’ve been buying the multi-grain dough at Whole Foods but making my own would definitely be cheaper!  Thanks!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
Anyone have a great whole wheat pizza dough recipe to share?  I’ve been buying the multi-grain dough at Whole Foods but making my own would definitely be cheaper!  Thanks!
I've used a whole wheat bread dough recipe from a cookbook (can't remember now if it was Better Homes and Gardens or Betty Crocker) and I've been happy with the results. I think the recipe called for a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour, but I substituted 100% whole wheat (and a bit generous with the yeast). For me the main thing about 100% whole wheat is to be patient with the rise time.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
I've used a whole wheat bread dough recipe from a cookbook (can't remember now if it was Better Homes and Gardens or Betty Crocker) and I've been happy with the results. I think the recipe called for a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour, but I substituted 100% whole wheat (and a bit generous with the yeast). For me the main thing about 100% whole wheat is to be patient with the rise time.

I made a batch of dough with half whole wheat, and found that it rose ok, but it was much more difficult to stretch than usual.  Had to patch a few holes in the first one, and was extra careful and slow while stretching the others, and I couldn't get them as thin as we prefer.  Still tasted great, though!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »
My dad was Italian, and he ate tons of cheese, and I do too...but surprisingly, our pizza contains no cheese whatsoever, and is rectangular, not round. It is essentially a variant of what Sicilians from Palermo call sfincione, a 1-inch thick, chewy, tender crust covered in thick tomato "gravy" that may or may not have basil or oregano. Nothing else. Served cold or warm, but rarely hot. Although I love my thin crust Neapolitan pizza with black olives, anchovies and a bit of cheese, my absolute favourite is really the simple and humble Italian Tomato pie. I can only find it in stores in Montreal and parts of New York, Rhode Island, and New Jersey.

Custom Concern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2019, 05:16:12 PM »
Awesome homemade pizzas everyone.

Recently I've been lazy and buying Costco's Kirkland frozen cheese pizza. During sales they are a steal at $1.50 each. As they are, well, they're just cheese pizza. But using them as a base and adding toppings like peppers, onion, chicken sausuages, mushroom, and pesto sauce strikes a balance between convenience, cheap, and delicious.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:17:44 PM by Custom Concern »

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
I made a batch of dough with half whole wheat, and found that it rose ok, but it was much more difficult to stretch than usual.  Had to patch a few holes in the first one, and was extra careful and slow while stretching the others, and I couldn't get them as thin as we prefer.  Still tasted great, though!
Yes, whole wheat dough is a bit more difficult to work.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2021, 08:19:13 PM »
I learned of Detroit style pizza a few months ago. I bought a 10x14 Lloyd pan recently and just made my first attempt. Pretty good but there’s room for improvement.

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
Interesting.  I've been using cast iron skillets for my pizza.  Roll the dough out in the skillet and let rise.  Topping go on and bake it.

Now, I'm hungry.  Thanks for sharing.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2021, 01:43:44 PM »
Technically, I didn't make pizza but made its cousin calzone last night. I have been lazy and buying frozen pizza's and every time disappointed. I used to make home made pizza often but fell off the wagon. I bought pizza dough from the grocery store and used that for my calzone. I discovered that the dough was kind of on the smallish side so next time I will use two of the doughs. However, I might get ambitious and make my own dough. No reason not to. I have a bread machine and it would be so easy. I loaded my calzone with a variety of things and of course ricotta cheese. It was divine and there are left overs to munch on.

Not sure if anyone uses this little trick but I put my dough in a glass bowl covered with a warm dish towel. I put a coffee mug in the microwave filled with water and boiled the water. Took out the mug and put in the glass bowl. It was nice and humid in the microwave. However, now that I am thinking about it, I should have left the mug in the microwave to keep it humid longer. The dough rose nicely anyway!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
I keep taking pictures and forgetting to post them. During the pandemic, I have perfected Whole Wheat Pizza Crust and Apple Pies.
Over the summer when it was too damn hot to turn on the oven, we even had success grilling pizza. Alas, I broke one of our pizza stones in the attempt. Oh well, I'll grab another next time I see one at the thrift shop.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2021, 02:36:01 PM »
@Dicey You can just put the pizza directly on the grill, no need for the stone. I couldn't believe it until I tried it, but it works.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
@Dicey You can just put the pizza directly on the grill, no need for the stone. I couldn't believe it until I tried it, but it works.

I've been meaning to try this, but I'm too scared to. It really doesn't stick or anything? Do you oil the grill grate before putting the pizza on it or something?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2021, 10:17:40 PM »

I've been meaning to try this, but I'm too scared to. It really doesn't stick or anything? Do you oil the grill grate before putting the pizza on it or something?
I'll take Buffalo Stache's word for it. DH was the one who did the actual grilling.

I wanted to share a tip that's been really helpful. My pizza dough recipe calls for two tablespoons of sesame seeds. Adding them makes the dough easier to handle. It tends not to stick when you're patting it into shape. I use plain white sesame seeds or Costco's Toasted Sesame Seeds. I use either one. Sometimes I get really wild and use a tablespoon of each.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »

You oil the pizza.  Oiling the food, not the grate, is a good tip for grilling in general.  Magically, it will release from the grill when it is done.   The only trick is you grill one side, flip it, and top it while you grill the other side.   It is a good way to go.  You can grill bread too.   For strict ease of use though, I prefer cast iron pizza.  Grilled pizza is more of a special occasion. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2021, 09:20:40 AM »
Low carb crust w/ Mozarella cheese, 1 egg and Almond flour.

Bacon Onion Basal. Three cheeses: Mozzarella, Cheddar & Parmesan Reggiano.

I put minced basal on it before baking it.  I grow like 2 dozen basal plants in a bed in the backyard each year then food process the leaves with olive and freeze for pesto, spaghetti etc .  I free into an ice cube tray.  ! cube per pizza or 1/2 cube for spaghetti sauce.  Tastes a million times better than dry basil :) I even put some in the home pizza sauce.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2021, 01:14:13 PM »
I've had good luck with these cheap pizza pans from Amazon.

We bought a few so that we can have one in the oven, and one or more ready to go.  The baking is unacceptable if you stack one on top of the other unless you rotate them partway through.