Author Topic: Share your best Black Friday deals  (Read 5824 times)

norajean

• Pencil Stache
Share your best Black Friday deals
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »
BF can be a great day to save a fortune on crap you don't need but which you might otherwise choose to buy during the course of the year.  I'm hoping for a deal on a bbq grill and maybe Hulu for $1/month.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Share your best Black Friday deals
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
All Michigan state parks have free entry on Black Friday: https://m.metrotimes.com/the-scene/archives/2019/11/25/michigan-state-parks-are-free-to-enter-on-black-friday. We have great parks, so that seems like a great deal.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:23:12 PM »
Way back when Black Friday was still on Friday, and stores didn't open until early that morning (2006, I think this was), we wanted to get a printer/scanner for $20. It was sold out at the store with the ad. We went to a competitor's store with that ad. They price matched it because it was still in the time window of the other store's sale. But wait...

The competitor store we were at had the same printer on sale with a $20 cash rebate (not some garbage store credit rebate). So yes, they price matched for $20. Then, I sent in the receipt for $20 cash. I paid about $1.20 in taxes for a new printer/scanner that I still have and use (mainly for scanning).

I like the idea of free state parks.

(Note: at this stage in my life, the best deal is not dealing with Black Friday at all.)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 05:51:23 AM »
(Note: at this stage in my life, the best deal is not dealing with Black Friday at all.)

This.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
Got 100% off everything.
By not going in any stores. Or shopping online.
Don't need nuffin'.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »
I normally avoid all things Black Friday; however, someone in another thread indicated that they got the Paprika recipe manager app for 50% off, so I wanted to share that as IMO, Paprika is worth a lot more than the regular price.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »
Not exactly raging hot, but we have a few home projects lined up, and will need a few things at Home Depot. Took advantage of gift card offers to earn $50 in grocery store credits.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
The best deal for me is to be intentional and aware of spending. Pay for the right things and don't over spend. 

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
I normally avoid all things Black Friday; however, someone in another thread indicated that they got the Paprika recipe manager app for 50% off, so I wanted to share that as IMO, Paprika is worth a lot more than the regular price.

Thanks Malkynn.  I just checked out Paprika.  It looks fabulous and I purchased it for $4 CDN.  It's time to get rid of my scattered collection of paper.  Here's to organization and amazing home cooked meals!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »

Thanks Malkynn.  I just checked out Paprika.  It looks fabulous and I purchased it for $4 CDN.  It's time to get rid of my scattered collection of paper.  Here's to organization and amazing home cooked meals!

It's the best.
I have the $25 desktop version and it's worth every penny.

I now have over 150 recipes that I cycle through regularly. Back when it was a jumble of bookmarked websites, printed recipes, etc, I only cycled through a few dozen because it was too complicated to manage more.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
I looked around at a few websites for stuff I don't need just to see the BF prices.

I'm pleased to report to all Mu$tachian$ that I didn't buy anything.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:02:33 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
I got hulu for 1.99 a month, for 12 months

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »

It's the best.

I now have over 150 recipes that I cycle through regularly. Back when it was a jumble of bookmarked websites, printed recipes, etc, I only cycled through a few dozen because it was too complicated to manage more.

This looks so good that I just bought the iPad app for US$2.99. I have so many recipes in my Google bookmarks file and as printed pages from websites.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »
There's a consignment shop near my house that will be letting you fill a grocery bag with kid's clothes for $10. I'll probably check that out, and then stop in at the supermarket down the street to take advantage of the week's grocery loss leaders.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
I've done a little BF shopping online.  I keep a running list of things I know I'm going to need soon and I have a list of presents I intend to buy for Christmas.  I'm not bothering to do too much searching, but if something on the lists shows up as a great deal, I'm buying it.  So far I've snagged two pairs of the jeans I like (I'm down to one pair right now) for $16.99 (normally $25-30 on sale) and a RadioFlyer Wagon for my niece's Christmas present for $68 (regular price $110).

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »
Shoppers Drug Mart (Canadian chain) has a "spend your points" event this weekend, for their reward program. Some of the stores, including one relatively near me, have a small produce section, in addition to canned, frozen and packaged food. Though the food is more expensive than a grocery store, I don't mind "buying" it with points! I'll be stocking up, mostly non-perishable stuff, but will grab some fresh food as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:10:14 PM by PJ »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
Got 100% off everything.
Don't need nuffin'.

+1

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
We bought an Amazon smart plug for $4.99 (via an early morning deal at Amazon), which we'll give as a gift.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
Penny’s spices $50 gift card for $35. I love their spices, so 30% off is a good deal.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
Way back when Black Friday was still on Friday, and stores didn't open until early that morning (2006, I think this was), we wanted to get a printer/scanner for $20. It was sold out at the store with the ad. We went to a competitor's store with that ad. They price matched it because it was still in the time window of the other store's sale. But wait...

The competitor store we were at had the same printer on sale with a $20 cash rebate (not some garbage store credit rebate). So yes, they price matched for $20. Then, I sent in the receipt for $20 cash. I paid about $1.20 in taxes for a new printer/scanner that I still have and use (mainly for scanning).

I like the idea of free state parks.

I once when shopping on BF back when it didn't start until Friday. (I think it was 2004). I'd been given money to buy a quality socket and wrench set for my birthday and wanted to get the most out of it. I did save something like 30% but it was such a complete zoo that I also decided the best deal was not dealing with black Friday all...

I did save my inlaws $200 on a new laptop at Costco this week I'd been waiting for the holiday sale to replace theirs after the motherboard when out. But I was already at costco buying groceries. I'm staying home or going to the mountains today if the sun ever comes up.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
Got 100% off everything.
Don't need nuffin'.

+1

+2! 

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »

It's the best.

I just looked at it in the App Store, and it's showing as $3 US.

Only one version. Does it only work on the device you use to download it?

I have Mac Gourmet Deluxe on my (now broken) laptop. I am hoping for an app that uses the cloud, so it's not stuck on one particular HD...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 04:51:19 PM »

It's the best.

I just looked at it in the App Store, and it's showing as $3 US.

Only one version. Does it only work on the device you use to download it?

I have Mac Gourmet Deluxe on my (now broken) laptop. I am hoping for an app that uses the cloud, so it's not stuck on one particular HD...

You can use it on multiple devices I believe, but you need to pay for it for each of them.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 05:13:27 PM »
I bought a $50 Penzey's gift card for $35.  I'll combine that with a sale in the future when I need to restock.  I bought two tickets on Goldstar to see a musical for $8/each.  Regular price was $35.  My friend will go with me.  I'm not much of a BF shopper, but I always look just in case there is a great deal.

WanderLucky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
I finally bought a pair of OOFOS shoes (online) for 20% off. I've been wanting these for over 6 months and I really hope they're going to help with the pain from plantar fasciitis. Sale goes through weekend I believe and I have a referral link if anyone is interested :).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »
I stayed home playing video games, and bought nothing.

Best, deal, ever!

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2019, 05:53:08 AM »
I got Hulu for $1.99 as well because it was so cheap.  I never had Hulu before but I just looked and I don't see anything interesting to watch.  Any recommendations?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »
Cancelled my $0.99/mo Hulu plan from last year's Black Friday deal and my girlfriend got this year's $1.99/mo plan.  If Hulu asks, we're different people with different accounts that happen to live in the same house and use the same computer to stream Hulu, usually together. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got Hulu for $1.99 as well because it was so cheap.  I never had Hulu before but I just looked and I don't see anything interesting to watch.  Any recommendations?
I haven't watched any of their original stuff, but Killing Eve (originally on BBC America) is fantastic.  We're also finally watching 30 Rock on it (been on my mean-to-watch list for literally 10 years) and it's great.

I bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max and two iPhone 11s at Costco on Wednesday using the T-mobile $700 back trade-in deal for iPhone 7s.  After the dust settles and we get the three $700 rebate cards and sell the two 11s, GF ends up with a new 11 Pro Max for almost nothing.

Finally bought our Nintendo Switch (been hemming and hawing on pulling the trigger for over two years now) on Amazon for full price but with a $25 Amazon credit back.

13% cashback on TopCashBack for Dell Small Business means that I was able to stock up on a few Dell desktops I'd been putting off buying for cheap (Optiplex 3070s for $689 instead of $769 for the particular configuration I typically order) for work, saving work some coin while getting myself more than enough cashback to pay for all the above tomfoolery. 

So my total cost of Black Friday this year is approximately $0 after reselling, waiting for cashback, and Costco rebate cards. 

Last year we spent almost three grand on Black Friday but that was on a screaming-deal for a new camera for GF's business, and the shutter failed on her previous camera about six months later, so that was probably the best purchase we made all year.  Not having a real backup camera apart from an old 5D Mark II before that was insanity.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »
@Catica I got Hulu for the handmaiden tale. Many have recommended this series,I read the book ages ago. I also got it for my spouse who pays 20 dollars per season for the housewives series. If you like women getting drunk and fighting this is a good series. The Beverly hill series is the best I believe.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 07:22:12 AM »

Depends on what type of TV you like.

The Hulu originals “Handmaid’s Tale” and “Castle Rock” are very well made shows in the drama/suspense/quiet horror (unsettling but not gratuitously gory) genres.

Someone else mentioned “Killing Eve,” which is an excellent crime/mystery drama. We don’t have cable so we enjoyed the opportunity to watch shows like “What We Do in the Shadows” (very funny pseudo-reality TV show with vampires) and “Rick and Morty.” I also can never remember when NBC broadcasts “This Is Us,” so I watch it on Hulu.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
Just heard that yesterday was National Buy Nothing Day.  Oh, the irony.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »
We bought an Amazon smart plug for $4.99 (via an early morning deal at Amazon), which we'll give as a gift.

I snagged one of these too.  It's nice to be able to tell Alexa to turn the lights on instead of fumbling around for the switch in the dark.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »
I happened to go grocery shopping and  scored a  5 $ organic turkey, had a second Thanksgiving.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »
Thanks for the info on the paprika app. I have it now on my iPad and iPhone and it was only 2.99. Just made my first week menu and did the grocery shopping  very easy

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »
Huge apple pie samples at New Seasons, now that Thanksgiving pie purchases are over.

I also got Hulu's cheaper plan.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the info on the paprika app. I have it now on my iPad and iPhone and it was only 2.99. Just made my first week menu and did the grocery shopping  very easy

I bought it too - apparently my old recipes can get exported to Paprika, and it apparently "snaps" recipes from the web and imports it to the app.

What really sold me was the menu-planning that's linked to the calendar - that's how I plan for holiday weekends with guests, so having menus I can re-use make me happy.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »
Found a deal too good to ignore and immensely practical to share with others.

Nolo's got everything 50% off through December 4th, including their Estate Planning Bundle. Quicken WillMaker alone is normally $90, and you get that and two estate planning guide books for $60.

malacca

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 02:27:35 PM »
I went to Target a bit after 5 pm. The Door Buster TVs were all gone.

But I saw a manager looking dude and asked him politely if he had any of these TVs (showing him the Target Ad).

He said "Oh, I have one of those tickets left on my desk." So I followed him to his office an he gave me one. He had two and I asked if I can have two. He said only one per person.

My wife and SIL had just arrived so I sent my wife a pic of the manager and told he to ask her to ask him for a ticket. She got the last one. So out the door with two Door Buster 65 inch TVs (which is ironic as we don't really watch much TV). Everyone else was buying the same TV for $140 more. Bummer for them.

But wait - I went to Wal-fart to see what they had but it was way too full and taking an hour+ to check out. So I bolted and there was another Target nearby. I went in - 1.5 hours after they opened - and asked about the Door Buster TV. Same deal - manager had an extra ticket.

So I have three of the huge suckers. Why? I am closing on a 4-Plex in a two weeks - and I do furnished corporate rentals.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 02:52:48 PM by malacca »