Author Topic: Semi-frugal small victory over crapped out faucet  (Read 1414 times)

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
Semi-frugal small victory over crapped out faucet
« on: December 21, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
So the kitchen faucet started leaking into the MDF countertop, out of sight. Nasty back there.
Saddled up, cycled to the closest hardware store, bought faucet.
Installation turned out to be about as hard as building IKEA furniture. Though the stakes are higher if it goes wrong!
Nice new tap thingy, spray setting, ooh la la.

However . . .  when I think of my parents' and grandparents' generation, this is not even all that frugal or independent.
I paid full price for the faucet! It was brand new, not salvaged. With some real diligence I coulda got one for free, I'm certain.
That's the way folks used to be . . . but we still saved a couple hundred bucks by not calling a plumber.

ilsy

• Stubble
Re: Semi-frugal small victory over crapped out faucet
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
I believe first step is the most important.
I remember how happy I was when I've replaced cartridge in my leaking faucet. That was exactly a week after I have paid a plumber $300 for some other repairs. I have figured that I cannot make money as quick as I would need to spend it on repairs. But that one victory gave me confidence that I can fix ANYTHING. And that was 2 years ago. Now I consider myself a pro in fixing any hole in drywall, I can remove toilet when a toothbrush gets stuck and put it back on, I can replace the flap, I have fixed my garage door that wouldn't go down on its own (wasn't easy, there was no exact youtube video, but some common sense and finding the manual did the trick). I have fixed my fairly new washer that wouldn't stop filling (apparently a common problem in my model). I have updated almost all light fixtures in my house with either free ones found on CL or more energy efficient. But, yes, that first victory is very important, this is what gives you the wings and builds the confidence.

Our parents and grandparents didn't have youtube. It would have taken them a few years to learn tricks that we can learn in 5 min from youtube videos. Plus they didn't have Craigslist and such to get things cheap or free. I'm sure we can be as frugal and spend less time on it.
BTW, moen faucets come with life time warranty, so getting those new might be worth it, you could just order it somewhere cheaper next time. But not having water in the kitchen while you wait for your order to arrive might be a pain, unless your savings make it worth waiting.  :)