Author Topic: Semi Daily walk to build up the garden  (Read 2259 times)

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
Semi Daily walk to build up the garden
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
We have two coffee shops within a 15 minute walk.  We walk at least every other day (often every day when the shops are busy) and pick up a kitty litter bucket full of coffee grounds/tea leaves.  Garden beds from last year are great.  This year looks like we will be expanding the gardens even more.  Free compost with our exercise!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Semi Daily walk to build up the garden
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »
What a nice idea! I like to get up and walk around to clear my head. Great that it's free food for your garden too.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
Love it!  Coffee grounds are great for the garden. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
Nice! Can you also mooch big bags of leaves from neighbours' yards in the fall? Or are you concerned about what else might be in them?

Arktinkerer

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
Nice! Can you also mooch big bags of leaves from neighbours' yards in the fall? Or are you concerned about what else might be in them?

We actually did this years ago when starting a garden at our first house.  Now, we have more leaves than we can deal with.  I find myself torn between my desire for the shade trees and needing the sun for the garden. 

Our town does compost garden waste so I'm not too upset about putting the leaves out in barrels for pickup.  Can't stand to pay for the paper lawn waste sacks so we just put out three or four beat up barrels a week when we have too many leaves during the fall season. 

We can pick up compost for free from the city but they mix in the lawn clippings with leaves so you don't know what chemicals are in the mix.  Don't mind using it for ornamentals but we haven't needed it in years since we now produce as much as we want.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!