Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906903 times)

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #5700 on: September 02, 2022, 05:52:40 AM »
The issue with the old company is availability of new slots. I signed up roughly a year ago to be notified when they were taking new cards so I could switch. Still haven't heard anything about openings.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #5701 on: September 02, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »
Now that you say that, I think that was the same problem I had. They weren't taking new people yet. Dang.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5702 on: September 07, 2022, 10:39:54 AM »
I’m trying to do an add onto my Capital One card, and it looks like I need to enter an email address for the new AU.  I don’t remember having to do this before.  Staff at the new company says I should use my email address.  Any ideas if this opens me up to a million spams or to creditors looking for this AU?  Thanks in advance.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5703 on: September 07, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »
I’m trying to do an add onto my Capital One card, and it looks like I need to enter an email address for the new AU.  I don’t remember having to do this before.  Staff at the new company says I should use my email address.  Any ideas if this opens me up to a million spams or to creditors looking for this AU?  Thanks in advance.
I would just get a new email address just for Tradeline’s if I had to do that.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5704 on: September 07, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »
I would just get a new email address just for Tradeline’s if I had to do that.

Yeah, that’s probably a good idea.  Thanks!

redwheel92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5705 on: September 11, 2022, 06:03:12 PM »
For those of you who have marketed Wells Fargo cards - how many slots did you market per month & did those accounts ever get closed/were there any indications of closing before that happened?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #5706 on: September 11, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
For those of you who have marketed Wells Fargo cards - how many slots did you market per month & did those accounts ever get closed/were there any indications of closing before that happened?

First, you should know that the risk of shut down can vary significantly with which piggybacking company you work with.  Old Company does not currently work with Wells Fargo cards (at least according to my latest FAQ).  Nor does New Company, although my information on New Company is dated because I stopped working with them a while ago.  If you're working with a company that is not either of those, your risk of getting your cards shut down are probably higher, maybe significantly so.

Second, shut downs are an inherent risk and something that the CC companies are entitled to do by their terms of service.
 As the OP mentions (I think - it's been a while since I read it), you should only piggyback on cards that you're willing to have shut down.

I have tried on this thread to try to collect data points on card closures to see if there are patterns to shutdowns in order to minimize my chances.  I haven't really seen any other than the point mentioned in my first paragraph above about piggybacking companies.  Old Company claims that Chase and BofA are higher risk, but I've personally not had any problems with them but have had problems with USAA (warning) and USBank (two cards closed).  Number of slots doesn't seem to be a definitive factor, although the data points are limited.

It does seem that periodically CC companies just do audits and crackdowns and mass card closures.  If the piggybacking company you're working with is good, they might proactively take actions to save your cards by, for example, switching orders from CCs with the auditing company to another CC.  They also will have general guidelines that you can (and I think should) follow to minimize your risk of shutdowns.

Finally, usually there is no advance notice, nor is there anything you can do, once they decide to shut down your card.  You first clue will either be a letter in the mail closing your card, or sometimes not being able to see the card when you log into the CC website, or the card getting declined at a merchant.

Gogore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5707 on: September 13, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »
That is correct in my experience.  You cannot product change at BC except to downgrade in the same product family.  ie fee card to free card

When you product change with BC, does it reset your AU add limit or restart the open date?  I am looking to try to get a third Barclay card and debating on going for one with an annual fee that I can downgrade later.

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5708 on: September 14, 2022, 02:53:04 PM »
Anyone know of a decent TL company where I can add my Citi card?  Old company obviously isn't adding any new cards at the moment.

If you are willing to share the info, please send a PM to me.   Thanks in advance.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5709 on: September 14, 2022, 09:21:11 PM »
That is correct in my experience.  You cannot product change at BC except to downgrade in the same product family.  ie fee card to free card

When you product change with BC, does it reset your AU add limit or restart the open date?  I am looking to try to get a third Barclay card and debating on going for one with an annual fee that I can downgrade later.

I don't know or possibly don't remember.  Sorry.

Someone else probably knows this and will advise.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5710 on: September 14, 2022, 10:58:11 PM »

Yesterday I attempted to downgrade a Barclays card that had an annual fee coming up next month.  They said they couldn't do it, so I closed the card and was able to transfer my credit limit from the card I was closing to my other Barclays card (which is older and has a much larger limit and is also enrolled with Old Company).

Usually, product changes do not change the open date (or really anything about the line that gets reported to the credit bureaus, except the card number which might change).

I think there have been mixed reports as to whether a product change resets the AU limit.  The data points I tend to believe indicate that it does not change the AU limit.  My strategy, with which Barclays is not cooperating at the moment, would be to get a newer Barclays card seasoning, and then when the older card hits the AU limit, close the older AU limited card and transfer the CL to the newer Barclays card.  Enroll the newer card when allowed, and start racking up AUs on it.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

DanTheYogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5711 on: September 15, 2022, 12:04:20 PM »
Is it worth (regularly) asking for a limit increase if I rarely/never use a card? I haven't used my chase cards for anything except some tiny recurring subscription costs in years. I haven't used my Discover card at all in a couple years either. I have essentially wiped out my student debt, doubled my yearly income, and have a much higher amount of available credit than I did ~4 years ago when I opened some of the cards. I know those are all reasons I would get a credit increase, but I'm wondering if they will look at my complete lack of utilization and question why I would want a credit increase or simply deny it completely.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5712 on: September 15, 2022, 12:25:38 PM »
Is it worth (regularly) asking for a limit increase if I rarely/never use a card? I haven't used my chase cards for anything except some tiny recurring subscription costs in years. I haven't used my Discover card at all in a couple years either. I have essentially wiped out my student debt, doubled my yearly income, and have a much higher amount of available credit than I did ~4 years ago when I opened some of the cards. I know those are all reasons I would get a credit increase, but I'm wondering if they will look at my complete lack of utilization and question why I would want a credit increase or simply deny it completely.

I've got some CL increases automatically with no request. I've got others through an automated request I submitted online - though some of those were denied. I've also gotten some through talking to someone on the phone. In the latter case you can say you're planning some large expense(s) on the card but want a higher limit, so your overall utilization doesn't go too high and hurt your credit score.

However, it seems like the main data points any issuer looks at is household income or utilization. If your HH income hasn't changed and you're not using the card that much, they don't have much incentive to offer you more credit. You could just shift a bunch of normal expenses to that card for a month or so to juice the utilization (still paying down the balance before the utilization gets too high and negatively effects your credit score) then make the request for a higher limit.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:27:57 PM by Michael in ABQ »

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #5713 on: September 15, 2022, 01:44:27 PM »
For CL increases, there are a lot of factors.  I still can't get a Discover increase on my 30 year old card.  But they gave me a new one with a bigger CL.  Go figure.  I'm planning to transfer some limit over. 

If you max out a card, they are more likely to up your CL.  Or higher use.  I've had both happen without a request.  Funny how that works.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #5714 on: September 29, 2022, 08:03:45 AM »
After 3 or 4 messages and emails, Cliff responded that indeed, I haven't been paid in over a year and they owe me $xxx and I'll be paid at the next pay period, which I have no idea when that will be.  Been several weeks already.

O.m.g. really?! I knew they were having delays and I meant to switch over to the old company but I didn't. Months go by and I added an AU from the new company. Now I'm looking for my money and of course Cliff doesn't respond. Not cool. What is this guy doing all day?

I can't let myself use the new company again... I have a Cap1 card with $13k limit that's really old. I think I opened it in 2007. Should be okay for the old company?

Data point-- I got paid a couple days ago after emailing the guy on a weekly basis. Not terrible, but so inconvenient.

On a related note, I received a letter from a law firm addressed to one of my previous authorized users. Apparently he owes a company $1.8 mil (I didn't realize it wasn't addressed to anyone in this household until after I opened it, whoops...) That is kind of creepy that the law firm was able to find my address associated with this guy.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5715 on: September 29, 2022, 08:25:12 AM »
After 3 or 4 messages and emails, Cliff responded that indeed, I haven't been paid in over a year and they owe me $xxx and I'll be paid at the next pay period, which I have no idea when that will be.  Been several weeks already.

O.m.g. really?! I knew they were having delays and I meant to switch over to the old company but I didn't. Months go by and I added an AU from the new company. Now I'm looking for my money and of course Cliff doesn't respond. Not cool. What is this guy doing all day?

I can't let myself use the new company again... I have a Cap1 card with $13k limit that's really old. I think I opened it in 2007. Should be okay for the old company?

Data point-- I got paid a couple days ago after emailing the guy on a weekly basis. Not terrible, but so inconvenient.

On a related note, I received a letter from a law firm addressed to one of my previous authorized users. Apparently he owes a company $1.8 mil (I didn't realize it wasn't addressed to anyone in this household until after I opened it, whoops...) That is kind of creepy that the law firm was able to find my address associated with this guy.

Its to be expected if you participate in this, right? Your address will go on their credit report?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5716 on: September 29, 2022, 08:52:59 AM »

Its to be expected if you participate in this, right? Your address will go on their credit report?

Yes, exactly.  It might happen even if you provide the AU address to the CC company when adding them.  (Some CC companies ask for the AU address, some don't.)

If it's USPS First Class, you can write "return to sender, not at this address".  If it's not, you can recycle it.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #5717 on: September 29, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »

Yes, exactly.  It might happen even if you provide the AU address to the CC company when adding them.  (Some CC companies ask for the AU address, some don't.)

If it's USPS First Class, you can write "return to sender, not at this address".  If it's not, you can recycle it.

Noted.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5718 on: October 03, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »

I get AU advertisement letters, credit card offers, collector letters and lately, the best one.  It was some kind of long survey with a $10 incentive.  That is, a real $10 bill in the envelope.  I sent back the pp envelope with the survey where I wrote "addressee unknown at this address".  So at least they know not to send me any more cash.  So the point is....don't just throw away AU addressed envelopes.  Open them.  I really don't care if that's not technically legal. 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5719 on: October 03, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

I get AU advertisement letters, credit card offers, collector letters and lately, the best one.  It was some kind of long survey with a $10 incentive.  That is, a real $10 bill in the envelope.  I sent back the pp envelope with the survey where I wrote "addressee unknown at this address".  So at least they know not to send me any more cash.  So the point is....don't just throw away AU addressed envelopes.  Open them.  I really don't care if that's not technically legal.

Did you keep the $10 or send it back?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5720 on: October 04, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »

Did you keep the $10 or send it back?

Hmmm, where did that cash go?  I know I did a craigslist sale and made change.  I don't remember now.

almost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5721 on: October 09, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
I read somewhere to keep AU's on the account for 90 days, even if the tradeline company authorizes you to remove them earlier.  This was supposed to help prevent account closures.

I've been doing this but wonder if it's overkill.  It slows my sales a bit, but I have only had one shut down (BOA) in over four years. 

Some of you track data points regarding account closures.  Any insights regarding 60 or 90 day durations?  Thanks!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5722 on: October 11, 2022, 12:47:19 PM »
Has anyone else encountered somewhat nosy and perhaps over-diligent CSRs with Discover? I'm on the phone with one now who is asking more questions than the other reps have asked. He pointed out one of the addresses I gave had no apartment number (which was a good catch but I had to ask my source to clear that up - previously my source told me the address isn't really that important though so in the past I've mostly just given my home address without question). I was telling him I can just use my home address but  he seemed very "by the book" saying that I should provide them with an address if this card is intended for them and that all notices should be going to them as well (this is also something that no other rep has reiterated or made a big deal of). Then when adding the second AU, he asked "Do you know these individuals personally?" - I gave him a generic answer: "yea it's a friend of a friend who was referred to me" lol

Threw me off a little but I'm hoping they're not retraining all their CSRs to interrogate their customers like this.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 12:56:12 PM by jeromedawg »

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5723 on: October 11, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »
I read somewhere to keep AU's on the account for 90 days, even if the tradeline company authorizes you to remove them earlier.  This was supposed to help prevent account closures.

I've been doing this but wonder if it's overkill.  It slows my sales a bit, but I have only had one shut down (BOA) in over four years. 

Some of you track data points regarding account closures.  Any insights regarding 60 or 90 day durations?  Thanks!
I think Old company times their removals to account for the riskier companies (like Chase), or perhaps it is purely for better reporting odds? I always remove them at the recommended times myself. I like the USBank Tradeline payments every 2 months like clockwork.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5724 on: October 11, 2022, 06:02:23 PM »
Has anyone else encountered somewhat nosy and perhaps over-diligent CSRs with Discover? I'm on the phone with one now who is asking more questions than the other reps have asked. He pointed out one of the addresses I gave had no apartment number (which was a good catch but I had to ask my source to clear that up - previously my source told me the address isn't really that important though so in the past I've mostly just given my home address without question). I was telling him I can just use my home address but  he seemed very "by the book" saying that I should provide them with an address if this card is intended for them and that all notices should be going to them as well (this is also something that no other rep has reiterated or made a big deal of). Then when adding the second AU, he asked "Do you know these individuals personally?" - I gave him a generic answer: "yea it's a friend of a friend who was referred to me" lol

Threw me off a little but I'm hoping they're not retraining all their CSRs to interrogate their customers like this.

Two things:

1.  A few CSRs like to behave in the way you described.  I've had it happen 1% to 2% of the time.  Can they get your card shut down?  I dunno.  I just HUACA in those scenarios.

2.  If you're using someone other than Old Company or New Company, you may be exposing yourself to higher risk of shutdowns.  Your use of the term "my source" made me think this was a possibility.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:11:53 PM by secondcor521 »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5725 on: October 12, 2022, 08:56:52 AM »

Two things:

1.  A few CSRs like to behave in the way you described.  I've had it happen 1% to 2% of the time.  Can they get your card shut down?  I dunno.  I just HUACA in those scenarios.

2.  If you're using someone other than Old Company or New Company, you may be exposing yourself to higher risk of shutdowns.  Your use of the term "my source" made me think this was a possibility.

Interesting... yea he was definitely like 90% nosier than the rest of the folks I've spoken with thus far. I did notice in my second call back to Discover though that they have been asking for the address of the AU and seem to veer away from using your address as the primary for the AU. In the past this wasn't the case and they always asked if I'd like the card shipped to me - when I responded yes they would not ask for the AU's address and would just use mine.

In terms of shutdowns, yea I'm pretty sure I'm not using either Old or New companies. When I last checked with them neither were taking on new members and or all their slots were full. Has Discover been known to shut down accounts? And what would the main trigger(s) be for shutting accounts down?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5726 on: October 12, 2022, 03:30:54 PM »
For Discover I add/remove online. Saves a phone call, and I never get a nosy agent.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5727 on: October 12, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
Has Discover been known to shut down accounts? And what would the main trigger(s) be for shutting accounts down?

I think so, but I can't recall.  You could text search this thread for shut down, but you'll probably get lots of hits.

I've been trying to do my own research on shut downs, and encouraged people to post data points here to look for patterns.  Not a whole lot of progress made on that front, but it seems to me the following are likely:

1.  Using companies other than Old Company and New Company.  This has multiple impacts:

---> A.  Other companies have lower quality risk controls; they may ask you to add people who are problematic.

---> B.  Other companies may not be as likely or capable of detecting shut down audits by the CC companies, or communicating those out if/when they happen.

2.  High # of AUs on the account at the same time.

3.  High # of lifetime AUs.

4.  AUs on for a short period of time.

5.  AUs who are not family members.

6.  Not following the TL company guidelines, such as adding/removing in the same phone call.

There could be others, but those are the ones that come to mind easily.  Even if you avoid or minimize all of these shut down risks, there is probably always a non-zero risk of shut down, and you should only play this game with cards that you're willing to get shut down.

Personally I only work with Old Company and I follow nearly all of their recommendations.  I don't particularly try to mask my AU behavior with the card companies.  I have numerous cards where there is a single $2.50 charge to Amazon.com monthly and have had a dozen or so AUs lifetime, all of whom are not family members and none of whom live with me.  So if they catch me, I'll shrug and move on to something else.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5728 on: October 12, 2022, 04:52:34 PM »
For Discover I add/remove online. Saves a phone call, and I never get a nosy agent.

I've hit the max # of AUs at this point so have to do everything over the phone.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5729 on: October 12, 2022, 08:59:35 PM »
Question. If a tradeline company gives you the name and dob of an AU but not their social security number, is there any risk of them using this tradeline to create a fake identity (and you being held responsible too if they get caught)? Or is it only a risk when you unknowingly enter a fake SSN provided by a tradeline company? Basically is there any difference between those two scenarios in terms of risk? Let's say it's not the old or new company but someone you just started working with.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:04:39 PM by Padonak »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5730 on: October 18, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »
Question. If a tradeline company gives you the name and dob of an AU but not their social security number, is there any risk of them using this tradeline to create a fake identity (and you being held responsible too if they get caught)? Or is it only a risk when you unknowingly enter a fake SSN provided by a tradeline company? Basically is there any difference between those two scenarios in terms of risk? Let's say it's not the old or new company but someone you just started working with.

If this is really concerning, you should ask a lawyer.  A couple hundred bucks, most likely.

There are many credit cards who don't have a way online to even input a SS number.  To do so, you'd have to call in. 

I won't use any company that Joe hasn't approved.  I tried it once and the first time, I get a message to delete the user because they paid with a stolen credit card.  Nope.  Not doing that ever again.  I now assume that anyone not approved is going to sell MY information on the dark web. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5731 on: October 18, 2022, 03:21:20 PM »
PSA:

Anyone else trying to season a CareCredit Discover card via Synchrony Bank, please note this data point:

My card was closed after 12 months due to lack of activity.  I opened the card on or about 9/29/2021, and they closed it on 9/28/2022 due to inactivity.  I made no charges on the account.

When I called today, they were unable to reopen it and their only suggestion was to reapply.

In general I try to make sure that 12 months does not elapse without at least one charge on each card.  But with 23 cards, I made a mistake and missed this one.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5732 on: October 18, 2022, 03:49:43 PM »
I received a warning email from Care Credit that they would close the card if I didn't make at least one transaction by a certain date, so I did make a transaction and the card looks like it's in good standing now.

About Care Credit, does anyone currently use it for tradelines? Does it report AUs to the bureaus?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5733 on: October 18, 2022, 03:54:51 PM »

If this is really concerning, you should ask a lawyer.  A couple hundred bucks, most likely.

There are many credit cards who don't have a way online to even input a SS number.  To do so, you'd have to call in. 

I won't use any company that Joe hasn't approved.  I tried it once and the first time, I get a message to delete the user because they paid with a stolen credit card.  Nope.  Not doing that ever again.  I now assume that anyone not approved is going to sell MY information on the dark web.

It hasn't happened to me, just a hypothetical question which will hopefully not become a real one for me or anyone else. Maybe I'm being overly cautious.

About using just the companies that Joe approved. Well, it's just the "old company" at this point because of all the payment problems several people had with the new one. The old one is great but they only have so many slots and don't accept certain cards.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5734 on: October 18, 2022, 04:15:03 PM »
I received a warning email from Care Credit that they would close the card if I didn't make at least one transaction by a certain date, so I did make a transaction and the card looks like it's in good standing now.

About Care Credit, does anyone currently use it for tradelines? Does it report AUs to the bureaus?

I don't know, but I opened the card intending to use it with Old Company after seasoning two years.  It's one of the ones they indicated they use, so I was counting on it working for piggybacking.

I either didn't get, or missed, the email warning.  Oh well.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5735 on: October 19, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
PSA:

Anyone else trying to season a CareCredit Discover card via Synchrony Bank, please note this data point:

My card was closed after 12 months due to lack of activity.  I opened the card on or about 9/29/2021, and they closed it on 9/28/2022 due to inactivity.  I made no charges on the account.

When I called today, they were unable to reopen it and their only suggestion was to reapply.

In general I try to make sure that 12 months does not elapse without at least one charge on each card.  But with 23 cards, I made a mistake and missed this one.

I have a bunch of cards where if I don't have any AUs, and it reaches zero, I do low balance forgiveness.  Discover forgives $2 a month.  I go into my spread sheet and do them all at once with Amazon, just adding either 99 cents or $1.99 with the cards that forgive.  I end up with 8 or 10 dollars a month doing this and of course the cards do get exercised.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5736 on: October 20, 2022, 07:01:45 PM »
Wow, I think I may have a record repossession inquiry, a repo man came to my house today looking for an AU I added in June, and her Mercedes SUV….

LifestyleDeflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the FIRE life pre-FIRE
« Reply #5737 on: October 22, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »
Would anyone mind PMing me a reputable TL company to work with? Been a while but I'm looking to get back into the game :)

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5738 on: October 22, 2022, 03:22:55 PM »
I just updated my AMEX app, and now can’t seem to be able to access chat ( to remove an AU), is anyone else able to access the chat from the app?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5739 on: October 22, 2022, 03:59:17 PM »
Would anyone mind PMing me a reputable TL company to work with? Been a while but I'm looking to get back into the game :)

PM sent with Old Company and New Company contact info.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 04:03:54 PM by secondcor521 »

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5740 on: October 22, 2022, 04:13:49 PM »

…and New Company contact info.
He asked for a reputable company.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5741 on: October 22, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »

Yes, I use it with the old company.  And yes it seems to report fine (I assume as they keep paying me for adding AU).

below are some of my old posts about my care credit card in case anyone finds it useful information

For those who have Care Credit: how do you make occasional purchases to keep the card open? I tried using it at a doctor's office and they didn't accept it. Is there a way to use it online, maybe make a small purchase like vitamins, etc? I need to make a purchase within the next couple of months to keep it open.

I go to walgreens.  They accept it like any other credit card.  Their medicines are usually way over priced so we don't usually buy there, but occasionally will if we happen to need something and also need to make a purchase on the care credit.  If we don't any vitamins or medicine I will usually just buy myself some candy.  The candy is over priced too, but we are regularly maxing out our 2 slots at $125 each so I just consider my monthly bag of m&ms a perk.

I have a reminder set up for a few days after the end of the billing cycle, and I try to go put a purchase on it immediately so I won't end up forgetting.  I won't clear the reminder until I make a purchase.  You just have to be careful because my cycle date seems to bounce around, so I always log in and check to ensure the billing cycle has actually changed over.

Interesting @frugalnacho

So anything at Walgreens works in your experience?

If so, it might be an easy trick to print a photo for pickup.  Quick and easy.

So far.  I've used it at the pharmacy.  I also used it at the regular front register, and yeah it just seems to work like a credit card.  I don't know how they would be able to differentiate between different types of items anyway.  I was originally worried about that since it's supposed to be for doctors or health stuff, but I think they just have a merchant agreement with walgreens similar to how visa or MC would and you could just charge anything from the store. I've bought stamps, candy, OTC medication, and photos so far, and just used it as a credit card with no problems.

For those who have Care Credit: how do you make occasional purchases to keep the card open? I tried using it at a doctor's office and they didn't accept it. Is there a way to use it online, maybe make a small purchase like vitamins, etc? I need to make a purchase within the next couple of months to keep it open.

When you say "occasional" do you mean once per month? It's not a matter of keeping it open; it's a matter of having it post to the AU's credit reports.

The TL companies advise making a small charge every month. The credit card companies don't report to the reporting bureaus if there is no balance, so it won't help the AU's score.

My care credit card was for my wife's Lasik surgery.  They offered her 0% financing for two years, which turned out to just be a care credit card. $3,750 total charge, and a $6,000 limit. We scheduled our monthly payment and tossed it in the junk drawer with no intention of ever using it again.  It then sat idle with no balance for 11 months.  When the old company announced they were going to accept care credit I contacted care credit and requested a limit increase which was immediately granted for $16,000, and I started putting a single charge on it per month at walgreens.  It's been in constant use with 2 AU on it at all times for the last 8 months.

I also never call in to add or remove AU, I just use the online chat.  They occasionally have a ridiculous verification process where they have to send my wife an email, and she has to open a third party website from the secure link they sent and she has to take a 10 second video of her face, and after she submits it she gets a verification code which I then relay to the online chat person.  A bit of a pain in the ass when they do that, but otherwise super easy.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5742 on: October 22, 2022, 09:34:50 PM »

I've hit the max # of AUs at this point so have to do everything over the phone.

I was able to add one AU by calling in after hitting the limit, but after that I was told discover has a hard limit on a rolling 12 month basis, so I could only call one in and they denied the next one.  I had the TL company rest my card after that and will reactivate it later.  I probably could have called back and got another rep with a different answer, but I really hate calling them in anyway and greatly prefer doing it online.

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5743 on: October 24, 2022, 09:54:53 AM »
I'm going through this same thing again with my Discover.
I just now saw that my Discover hasn't been posting with the credit bureaus since June 6.  I called Discover and got transferred 3 times, the 3rd lady said I will have to contact the credit bureaus and see what is up.  I told her "No, this happened to me about 6 months ago and the Discover supervisor told me that my "Credit Reporting" switch had been turned off".  So this lady said Oh OK, please hold.  She came back and said they were mailing me something to get more info, and then I will have to mail it back, then it will take 30-60 days to get the credit reporting turned back on.

I have added a total of 9 AU's (max of 2 at a time) since I enrolled this card back in May 2021.

Cries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5744 on: October 26, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »

I was able to add one AU by calling in after hitting the limit, but after that I was told discover has a hard limit on a rolling 12 month basis, so I could only call one in and they denied the next one.  I had the TL company rest my card after that and will reactivate it later.  I probably could have called back and got another rep with a different answer, but I really hate calling them in anyway and greatly prefer doing it online.

Any idea what the limit was?  Do you have more than 1 card that you are doing AUs with?  Do you do 2 AUs per 2 months?

Thinking of starting on my 2nd Discover card too (but it is younger & has a lower limit; so may not be worth it if it detracts from my main card's limit)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5745 on: October 26, 2022, 09:44:15 PM »
I don't remember exactly, I think it was 7 or 8 AU over a rolling 12 month period. 

I only sell tradelines on one discover card.  I have a second discover card that I've been aging and waiting for the old company to accept, but no AU on that one. 

I do not know if the limit applies to each card, or if it is combined.

Cries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5746 on: October 27, 2022, 10:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the details, Nacho

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5747 on: October 28, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
Dumb question: There should be no issue waiting until the new year to ask New Company to pay me for lines posted this year, right? For tax and IRA contribution reasons, I'd prefer to earn that money next year.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5748 on: October 28, 2022, 11:21:28 AM »
Dumb question: There should be no issue waiting until the new year to ask New Company to pay me for lines posted this year, right? For tax and IRA contribution reasons, I'd prefer to earn that money next year.

Yes, that's fine.

New Company may wait until next year to pay you anyway. ;-)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5749 on: October 28, 2022, 12:23:01 PM »

Yes, that's fine.

New Company may wait until next year to pay you anyway. ;-)

Thanks. And yes, based on experience, I don't expect they will pay until I ask.