Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906834 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #5500 on: April 26, 2022, 11:55:43 AM »
Has anyone had any luck marketing and selling their cards independently (ie on Facebook groups, other message boards, etc)? Would love to get more info on this.

I have done a few sales to people I know (tenants, friends, etc.) and a few friends of my wife's niece. I just charged what my normal commission would be, so they get a deal vs. going through a tradeline company. Also added my kids, sister, BIL just to help with their scores. Too much of a PITA to try to actively recruit users, but if the subject comes up in conversation I'll put it out there.

Just out of curiosity, did you find out what kind of bump this provided to their credit scores? 20 points, 50 points? Was it a larger bump if they had a lower score to begin with?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5501 on: April 27, 2022, 06:47:40 AM »
Has anyone had any luck marketing and selling their cards independently (ie on Facebook groups, other message boards, etc)? Would love to get more info on this.

I have done a few sales to people I know (tenants, friends, etc.) and a few friends of my wife's niece. I just charged what my normal commission would be, so they get a deal vs. going through a tradeline company. Also added my kids, sister, BIL just to help with their scores. Too much of a PITA to try to actively recruit users, but if the subject comes up in conversation I'll put it out there.

Just out of curiosity, did you find out what kind of bump this provided to their credit scores? 20 points, 50 points? Was it a larger bump if they had a lower score to begin with?

I would say I don't have enough data to answer - from what I can tell, it depends a LOT on your credit profile and what types of derogatory marks you have. One woman had a bump of over 70 points, but in one instance the user's score actually went down before it went up - that one was likely due to something else hitting their score at the same time. I actually don't know if any of the TL companies guarantee a jump of XX because of this. If they do, they would have to commit to analyzing the before and after to make sure nothing else changed.

All that said, it does make a huge difference. For my oldest daughter, she was able to refinance her car from something outrageous like 16% (not due to bad credit, just no credit) to something in the 4-5% range.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5502 on: April 27, 2022, 07:54:08 AM »
In terms of posting correctly does it matter whether or not you activate the new cards for the AUs?

Amex claims on the activation sticker that they will cancel the card if you don't activate it . . . not sure how long it would be before they cancel. I activate those.

Amex is all over the place.  They make me create a new unique account for every AU card they send me in order to activate it.  Last time they required a new unique phone number to finish creating the account, so I couldn't finish setting it up as I have no more phone numbers and they wouldn't accept mine.  That one never ended up posting because they wouldn't let me activate the card without a unique phone number.  The last couple amex AU they never even sent the card, even though I went back to the website and requested they resend the card on account of it never arriving.  They never did send it no matter how many times I requested.  Those still posted though.

My experience selling AMEX is really strange. initially, in my first few adds, they would ask me to create a new online account for the new user when I tried to confirm receipt of the card. I never did that. For my next few adds, they stopped asking me to create a new online account and asked me to verify my date of birth (mine, not the AU's) before confirming the card. Then, for my next group of users, they switched it up, and started asking for the AU's date of birth.

even on this very thread, I've seen people share different interactions for doing AMEX adds.

Yes I've had all those variations.  They ask me those in addition to creating a new account.  It's confusing too when they simply ask for the DOB of "the account holder", because sometimes that means me, and apparently sometimes it means the AU.  I think every single AU I've had has been a slightly different process to activate the card.  It's really weird how inconsistent they are.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5503 on: April 27, 2022, 10:15:32 PM »
I too have had weird experiences with AMEX AU's.  My first one was rejected by AMEX (posted previously about this).  My second - I could not activate despite full SSN from old co.  Amex wanted me to call.  Old co said call if you want... I didn't and it apparently posted and order will be paid.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Question about applying for a new Barclaycard. Is there a minimum time you need to wait between closing an existing card with Barclays and applying for a new one? It says 6 months is recommended on the Points Guy Website https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-card-application-restrictions/   but also on another site it says the 6 month rule only applies if you apply for the same card you closed before https://www.uponarriving.com/barclays-application-rules-guide/

Has anyone opened a new card shortly after closing an old one? Any other restrictions to be aware of?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:59:59 PM by Padonak »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Padonak, I would not close the Barclay's card,  I would open a new one first, then call and ask if you can transfer the credit line from the old card, to the newer one. I have done this twice. One time I closed the old card, that maxed out of authorized users, and they let me re open so I could transfer the credit line to the new card. But that was like next day after closing the account. I always changed from one product to another like from jet blue card to American airlines card. Good luck.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Padonak, I would not close the Barclay's card,  I would open a new one first, then call and ask if you can transfer the credit line from the old card, to the newer one. I have done this twice. One time I closed the old card, that maxed out of authorized users, and they let me re open so I could transfer the credit line to the new card. But that was like next day after closing the account. I always changed from one product to another like from jet blue card to American airlines card. Good luck.

Good idea, thanks for recommending this. Pretty sure I am about to hit the max ceiling on a high CL card and had it on my mind to close the card when I do. I'll be sure to keep it open and transfer the CL over before closing.   

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

Thanks, yes I agree with you but I already closed an old card. Before I closed it, I moved my credit line to another Barclay's card I have. I'm trying to open another one and let it season for a couple of years.

I tried changing products with Barclays in the past and they wouldn't let me. I was able to downgrade one of my cards with an annual fee to a similar free card (I think it was Arrival) but many of their cards can't be downgraded or changed to a different one.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
Is there a reason you want to close the old Barclays cards? I maxed out the AU slots on one of my Barclays cards, but transferred the credit limit and just left it open.

I'd imagine that leaving it open only helps the "age of credit" factor in credit reporting, and I can't think of any downside of leaving it open.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Is there a reason you want to close the old Barclays cards? I maxed out the AU slots on one of my Barclays cards, but transferred the credit limit and just left it open.

I'd imagine that leaving it open only helps the "age of credit" factor in credit reporting, and I can't think of any downside of leaving it open.

I closed it because I wanted to transfer my entire credit line to a new card. I only have so much total credit with Barclays and it's difficult to get more once you've reached a certain amount. Another reason is it could be easier to apply for a new card if you don't have too many cards open with them already.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 10:43:20 AM by Padonak »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Question about applying for a new Barclaycard. Is there a minimum time you need to wait between closing an existing card with Barclays and applying for a new one? It says 6 months is recommended on the Points Guy Website https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-card-application-restrictions/   but also on another site it says the 6 month rule only applies if you apply for the same card you closed before https://www.uponarriving.com/barclays-application-rules-guide/

Has anyone opened a new card shortly after closing an old one? Any other restrictions to be aware of?

Barclays has a 5/24 policy similar to Chase (or something closely akin to it). I tried opening a new Barclay account and was told I had too many new accounts. I asked how many was too many, and they wouldn't say. I tried again about 6 months later with the same result. I waited until I had fewer than 5 cards opened within a 24 month period, and had zero problems.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
A couple of general questions:

What are the most common reasons people buy tradelines and what do you think the % of total orders is for each reason?
-Getting a mortgage
-Getting an auto loan
-Renting an apartment or house
-Other reasons?

How do you think the rising interest rates will impact (or already are impacting) tradeline sales? If the most common reason is getting a mortgage, demand for tradelines will probably decline considerably. On the other hand, if it's boosting your credit score to rent a place, it will probably stay the same or even increase. Auto loans are probably somewhere in between.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I got an “Authorized user not added, the information you entered is not correct, contact our customer service dept asap…” when I tried to add my most recent AU for my Barclays card.

Is this the kind of message you get when you reach your max AU limit, or just a glitch for whatever reason when I tried to add them? I tried an hour later and got the same message (and I am sure I answered the challenge questions correctly).

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
I got an “Authorized user not added, the information you entered is not correct, contact our customer service dept asap…” when I tried to add my most recent AU for my Barclays card.

Is this the kind of message you get when you reach your max AU limit, or just a glitch for whatever reason when I tried to add them? I tried an hour later and got the same message (and I am sure I answered the challenge questions correctly).

Yes, I got the same message when I reached my limit. Also tried a couple of times and got the same message again.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Just curious if you know exactly how many people you have added to hit the limit? I maxed out TD bank with 30 users and Barclays I don’t recall exactly but I believe it was around 35 users.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just curious if you know exactly how many people you have added to hit the limit? I maxed out TD bank with 30 users and Barclays I don’t recall exactly but I believe it was around 35 users.
Yep, according to my records, the failed add was #36. Bummer. I only got a recent Barclays to season earlier this year.
But I anticipated this happening so I started using the new Barclays card as my main card, and out of my back pocket I whipped out a 20y/o Citibank card, ready for tradeline sales.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

What are the most common reasons people buy tradelines and what do you think the % of total orders is for each reason?
-Getting a mortgage
-Getting an auto loan
-Other reasons?

How do you think the rising interest rates will impact (or already are impacting) tradeline sales? If the most common reason is getting a mortgage, demand for tradelines will probably decline considerably. On the other hand, if it's boosting your credit score to rent a place, it will probably stay the same or even increase. Auto loans are probably somewhere in between.

I think the reasons are probably a mixture of all the above, and if I were to guess, highly biased towards auto loans.

What I’m more concerned about wrt tradelines in the current climate, if credit scores and loan practices are deemed “unfair to certain populations”, credit scores could be legislated out, or made to have a much lower bearing on securing loans, which would pretty much put a wet blanket on our party here.

kindoflost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • always trying to learn
    • tradelines information for sellers

-Getting a mortgage
-Getting an auto loan
-Other reasons?

I think the reasons are probably a mixture of all the above, and if I were to guess, highly biased towards auto loans.

What I’m more concerned about wrt tradelines in the current climate, if credit scores and loan practices are deemed “unfair to certain populations”, credit scores could be legislated out, or made to have a much lower bearing on securing loans, which would pretty much put a wet blanket on our party here.

at least two of my clients were starting a business, one of these was applying for an SBA loan

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos

-Getting a mortgage
-Getting an auto loan
-Other reasons?

I'm never told the reasons why people buy trade lines.  A number of my AUs appear to have been deadbeats.

My trade line sales seem to be holding steady so far this year compared to the previous three years.  I think that people buying trade lines is a small subset of people seeking credit, so I'm not sure how much one can infer about the former by general trends in the quantity of the latter.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
I have noticed a slight slowdown in sales, these past 2-3 months, but nothing too alarming. I like to try and "rest" my cards periodically as well, so a slowdown in sales just gives me an opportunity to do that. But since I started selling AMEX too, that has made up for any dropoff in sales for my other cards.

I'm not too concerned, I was never relying on this income. I still see it as an incredible bonus that I still can't really believe we're getting paid for, tbh.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
Wondering if anyone else has issues with the new company (although not so new anymore).  I've only had two sales total, the first was last year and I had to chase them down for payment.  After asking they paid me $50 and I had to chase them again for the remaining $125.  This last one was for a $300 payment on a $50k Chase credit line AU in January and I just got a response that no payment is due as it never posted to the AU credit report and I could view the AU credit report online.  Can't view online, they never told me it was an issue until now and I copied and pasted the info they provided me.  Just seems shady since I've never had a single issue with the old company. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Tons of people have had that issue with the new company.  I stopped using them entirely and only use the old company because they are so much better with payments.  Never a problem with the old company; everything shows in the portal, and pays on time, every time.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
Yes, I just had to hound new company for payment, again. I would love to move over to the old company entirely, but for whatever reason, I don't get sales with them. I think I had two sales when I first started with them last year and then nothing. I am hoping to add more cards whenever they open up enrollment again and maybe that will help.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I've had one sale with the old company in the last 5-6 months. I just removed the one AU I had on one of my two cards. Last year I made about $1,000 - this year less than $200 so far. My cards are only a few years old as my handful of older credit cards are from credit unions and won't work. I've got a few more cards aging now, but most are only about a year old. I really need to get another Barclays card going but last time I applied they wanted me to send a bunch of documents (Driver's License, etc.) and I never got around to it.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
Tons of people have had that issue with the new company.  I stopped using them entirely and only use the old company because they are so much better with payments.  Never a problem with the old company; everything shows in the portal, and pays on time, every time.

Thanks all.  I just sent them a note to remove my cards, I'm trying to minimize hassles in my life!

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache

I got this message last time I added 2 AUs to Barclays. The problem seemed to be glitchy and worked itself out when I logged out and in. But I did get a call from the Barclays fraud protection dept the next day. The call basically went like this:

"Hello, are you Archipelago?"
Yes
"Could you confirm that you added so and so on X date"
Yes
"Thank you, have a nice day."

I was expecting having to give a whole explanation of how I knew so and so, but the conversation never went there.

So I guess just be prepared for this kind of thing, but the conversation might not be as "easy" as the example above.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
I have better sales with the old company.  I have barclay ($125), discover ($50), citi ($75), and 3 amex (2@$50, 1@$100).  Currently have 5 active AU.  Made about $500 so far this year.  My wife's account is similar.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
I only got one order with Amex from the old company since I registered the card last year. I think Amex makes it difficult to add AUs and verify cards so maybe that explains the lack of orders. Not sure who else accepts Amex for AU sales.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I’ve sold a ton of Amex but with a different company (literally filled one up with 99 over the course of the year) but most brokers will stack with another TL that has age since Amex only reports the CL.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I’ve sold a ton of Amex but with a different company (literally filled one up with 99 over the course of the year) but most brokers will stack with another TL that has age since Amex only reports the CL.
Is Amex 99/ year and resets, or is it 99 and then it’s done?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
I have lost track of which one is the old company and which one is the new company!  🤔

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
The new company is called 
Spoiler: show
CALLCREDITPRO

the old company begins with B

I think 99 and done on AMEX not 100 percent sure.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I got this message last time I added 2 AUs to Barclays. The problem seemed to be glitchy and worked itself out when I logged out and in.
It must have been a glitch…I just added an AU and it worked fine. So that’s #36.  But I’m sure my days are numbered with this card.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
CALLCREDITPRO

Thanks!  Then I am with the new company.  Not a lot of sales.  And I always have to chase down the payments.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Yes the new company others have complained they  have to chase them down for payments. thats why most recommend the old company. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
CALLCREDITPRO

Thanks!  Then I am with the new company.  Not a lot of sales.  And I always have to chase down the payments.

I kept a couple cards with the new company as they did seem to get more sales than with the old company. They absolutely won't pay unless you hound them. I once refused to execute an AU order because they were months over due on paying me and wouldn't respond to my emails. I thought maybe after that they would be a bit more diligent with their payments. Nope, I was wrong. I just pulled those couple of cards from them. Part of me wonders if they purposefully don't pay hoping you forget.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
CALLCREDITPRO

I kept a couple cards with the new company as they did seem to get more sales than with the old company. They absolutely won't pay unless you hound them. I once refused to execute an AU order because they were months over due on paying me and wouldn't respond to my emails. I thought maybe after that they would be a bit more diligent with their payments. Nope, I was wrong. I just pulled those couple of cards from them. Part of me wonders if they purposefully don't pay hoping you forget.

It's either malicious, or gross incompetence.  I tend to lean towards malicious, as I've had to follow up numerous times, and actually get arebelspy involved before they would finally pay.  Either way it's extremely unprofessional.  IMO they should no longer be one of the vetted recommendations, and instead only be recommended as a secondary option if the old company can't take a specific card, or you think you'll get better sales for a particular card and are willing to tolerate their unprofessionalism. I personally don't recommend them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

they should no longer be one of the vetted recommendations, and instead only be recommended as a secondary option if the old company can't take a specific card

This has been the case for a long time (several years) and every time old company opens enrollment I've posted that anyone with eligible cards with new company should switch, multiple times now.

I agree, their payment process is garbage and basically makes them only worth using for cards you can't with old company and then you should expect to have to follow up to get paid.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
If there was a credit score rating for tradeline companies, New company would need to buy some tradelines.

Never have been even slightly interested in trying them, based on what I read here.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
If there was a credit score rating for tradeline companies, New company would need to buy some tradelines.

Never have been even slightly interested in trying them, based on what I read here.

This is how I feel too over here on the sidelines. I haven't quite ever gotten to place any cards yet, but it interests me.

I wonder if it's possible to add more companies to the "good" list for wider card coverage.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

This depends on what makes up their credit score.  Chase just shut down my card for obvious tradeline activity.  It was over 20 years old with a $20k limit.  My son is a long time AU in order to boost his credit score.  When reported, my score went down literally one point.  His went down 30 points because he lacks the credit available (mine is over $300k) and age in market.  He actually has the advantage of car loans.  My credit reports (discover, cap one, credit union) always say that a lack of installment loans is what's holding me back from a higher score.  I'll live with my 829.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

This depends on what makes up their credit score.  Chase just shut down my card for obvious tradeline activity.  It was over 20 years old with a $20k limit.  My son is a long time AU in order to boost his credit score.  When reported, my score went down literally one point.  His went down 30 points because he lacks the credit available (mine is over $300k) and age in market.  He actually has the advantage of car loans.  My credit reports (discover, cap one, credit union) always say that a lack of installment loans is what's holding me back from a higher score.  I'll live with my 829.

How many AUs did you add approximately to that Chase card and over what period of time? Was there a particular reason they closed your account now, such as adding too many AUs recently at the same time? Did they close all your other accounts too?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Citi is such a pain in the ass to add AU.  I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them.  They finally got the AU added to the account, but are unable to send a card.  I said I would call back to get the card sent, but if they are on the account I will just leave it since I don't need the card.  I will likely be over an hour total on the phone by the time they are removed.

chuckster

• Stubble
Citi is such a pain in the ass to add AU.  I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them.  They finally got the AU added to the account, but are unable to send a card.  I said I would call back to get the card sent, but if they are on the account I will just leave it since I don't need the card.  I will likely be over an hour total on the phone by the time they are removed.

I've had this happen several times. Probably 3 out of 4 I get a message they can't send a card. I've never done anything about it, the AUs post just fine without it.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
I think chase just shut me down as well. I probably have 4 users on there, two are friends. I probably have only done 12 to 16 users over 2 years on my IHG chase, but it was a big money card with 30k limit.
I didn’t even hear from them, I just changed my address maybe a weeek ago,  then logged in a week later and saw this account is closed message written over my credit card image, the IHG card. My only chase card.

Oh well, I don’t have really any points leftover, and I took my chances with chase, was fun while it lasted. Oh and my AU, my friend also had her chase card closedown she was on my account, just happened recently for no reason she says. I wonder if this had something to do with it? Are they looking at my card for trade
Lines then looking at my users? Or was it the other way around? She had opened her account in November last year got the bonus, paid it off. Not even six months her card was not abused.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

How many AUs did you add approximately to that Chase card and over what period of time? Was there a particular reason they closed your account now, such as adding too many AUs recently at the same time? Did they close all your other accounts too?

I have only had Chase doing tradelines for 2 years.  2 AUs per period.  When I called to try to give them a story to re-open, they said that the bank did an audit and because I had a lot of short term AUs, I was violating the terms and conditions, so they closed the account.  I have no other accounts with Chase.

TheAgileCamel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I've had this happen several times. Probably 3 out of 4 I get a message they can't send a card. I've never done anything about it, the AUs post just fine without it.

Same with me. While adding the AU via the phone I have my AU section of my CC account up live. Once I see the person is added I get off the phone as quickly as possible. They will try to transfer me to their fraud department and during the transfer I drop off. Not worth going through the whole process again and wasting more time.

AUs keep being added just fine.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just started adding AU’s to citi. Any tips to the easiest way to remove them? Someone committed earlier that removing them is easier than adding them.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Just started adding AU’s to citi. Any tips to the easiest way to remove them? Someone committed earlier that removing them is easier than adding them.

I don't know about Citi offhand in particular, but my typical approach is:  (A) try to remove them via the website - Barclay's does this, which makes it super easy, (B) try to remove them via an online message - several CC issuers do this, or (C) call and remove them, which is the least easy way but not too bad.

If it helps, the fraud type questions have always been on the add side for me.  On the remove side, there has never been an issue at all.  Just "Hey I want to remove Jane Smith as a user on my card."  "OK, they're removed."

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
CALLCREDITPRO

I do think it eventually resets.  I hit 99 last year and moved the credit to another card and I’m adding again.  Since age doesn’t matter for Amex you can get a new card and shift credit if you ever max out. Like Barclays.