Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1907176 times)

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #5250 on: October 20, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
For those who received Amex AU cards, did Amex put your name or the AU name in the address field of the envelope?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #5251 on: October 20, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »
For those who received Amex AU cards, did Amex put your name or the AU name in the address field of the envelope?

I've only had one so far, and I don't remember.  But the card got to me and I remember it did have the AU name on the card.  My mailman properly delivers everything to my address, regardless of name on the envelope, so I got that goin' for me.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5252 on: October 20, 2021, 10:50:42 PM »
After a long dry spell I got an add with new company for a Barclays Card
I added the user online and confirmed "user added" in the portal with new company, while I was on hold with Barclays to just call in the SSN
Then I realised that the SSN disappears after you hit "user added".
I totally knew that, but I wasn't thinking at the moment.

Is there a way to get the SSN other than contacting new company.

Also, what are the recent datapoints regarding Barclays adds without SSN.
They used to post fine, but my last two ads earlier this year did not post and I recall several of you having the same issue so I am a bit concerned.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5253 on: October 21, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »
I added the user online and confirmed "user added" in the portal with new company, while I was on hold with Barclays to just call in the SSN

They used to post fine, but my last two ads earlier this year did not post and I recall several of you having the same issue so I am a bit concerned.

Barclays is BAU. Just add them online. No need for calling in SS number.

dantheman46

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5254 on: October 21, 2021, 05:59:31 PM »
Received the following emailed notice from the old company today:

This email is to notify you about the cycle, spot and commission change for PNC. PNC only allows 5 AUs annually now. All PNC spots are set to 1 and now follow the 3 cycle commission structure if over 2 years:

3-Month Cycle Commission for Capital One, PNC, and NFCU:
1. Limit $10,000 - $15,000 and 2+ years old = $125 per spot
2. Limit $15,001 - $20,000 and 2+ years old = $150 per spot
3. Limit $20,001 - $30,000 and 2+ years old = $200 per spot
4. Limit $30,001 - $40,000 and 2+ years old = $250 per spot
5. Limit $40,001 - or more and 2+ years old = $275 per spot
6. Limit $40,001 - or more and 10+ years old = $350 per spot

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #5255 on: October 21, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »
In the last month I've gotten the most AU with the new company (7) that I've ever gotten and 2 with the old company.   Is everyone else seeing a huge uptick adds?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5256 on: October 21, 2021, 07:04:07 PM »
In the last month I've gotten the most AU with the new company (7) that I've ever gotten and 2 with the old company.   Is everyone else seeing a huge uptick adds?

Personally no, not yet.  But historically March, July, and October seem to be busier than average based on my almost three years of tracking data.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5257 on: October 22, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »

Barclays is BAU. Just add them online. No need for calling in SS number.
Thank you

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #5258 on: October 22, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »

Personally no, not yet.  But historically March, July, and October seem to be busier than average based on my almost three years of tracking data.

Just under 3 years here, just over 100 sales... my best months have been February, May, and August. Tends to drop off quickly after those first two, but, after August, Sept-Jan are less than the peak but stay consistently above average. It may be cyclical (either per company, or per sellers and how they get added and come off) for the first half of the year then solid in the 4th quarter?

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5259 on: October 23, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
I've had 1 card with old company. Got 2 AUs pretty soon after signing up. Haven't had any since. It's a $11k limit with 4 year history. Has it been slow for anyone else?

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5260 on: October 24, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
Just under 3 years here, just over 100 sales... my best months have been February, May, and August. Tends to drop off quickly after those first two, but, after August, Sept-Jan are less than the peak but stay consistently above average. It may be cyclical (either per company, or per sellers and how they get added and come off) for the first half of the year then solid in the 4th quarter?

Wow, that's impressive. I only have 22 in three years. Out of curiosity, how many cards do you have active?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5261 on: October 25, 2021, 06:21:20 AM »

Wow, that's impressive. I only have 22 in three years. Out of curiosity, how many cards do you have active?

The number of cards help, but just as important IMO is the desirability of the AU slots. My 2 oldest cards (15+ years old) sold out their maximum number of slots consistently for quite a while. 1 unfortunately got shut down and the other is still going strong at 3 years.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5262 on: October 25, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »

The number of cards help, but just as important IMO is the desirability of the AU slots. My 2 oldest cards (15+ years old) sold out their maximum number of slots consistently for quite a while. 1 unfortunately got shut down and the other is still going strong at 3 years.

This post got me curious, so I went back over my records. Added my first AU on 12/7/17 (so just under 4 years) and I've had 373 sales since then with 5 different companies. I was quite the cc rewards whore for a while, and as a result have over $400k in available credit over 35+ cards. I've had a handful shut down, restricted, etc. (including all of my Chase and BoA cards), but have made $34k and counting since then so it's been worth the headaches!

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #5263 on: October 25, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »

I'm up to selling on nine between old and new. Three more are currently aging in wait for the next time the old company opens up new slots.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #5264 on: October 25, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »

Heh I just checked, by far my biggest sellers have been under 4 years old with under $3000 credit limits. I opened those just for tradeline sales. Most of those sales were in the first 1-3 years. I guess those cheap slots that I only got paid $25 for were easy to fill when someone needed a quick boost.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5265 on: October 26, 2021, 04:46:58 AM »

Heh I just checked, by far my biggest sellers have been under 4 years old with under $3000 credit limits. I opened those just for tradeline sales. Most of those sales were in the first 1-3 years. I guess those cheap slots that I only got paid $25 for were easy to fill when someone needed a quick boost.

Yep, understandable. Those are desirable slots. I only have very limited experience with $25/AU slots as I generally like to season the cards for a full 2 years. My oldest card was selling out regularly at $200/slot. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5266 on: October 26, 2021, 04:48:10 AM »

This post got me curious, so I went back over my records. Added my first AU on 12/7/17 (so just under 4 years) and I've had 373 sales since then with 5 different companies. I was quite the cc rewards whore for a while, and as a result have over $400k in available credit over 35+ cards. I've had a handful shut down, restricted, etc. (including all of my Chase and BoA cards), but have made $34k and counting since then so it's been worth the headaches!

That's impressive! Seems like a small headache compared to the rewards.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5267 on: October 26, 2021, 11:11:22 AM »
I had a weird experience with Citi. I added a user over the phone, but toward the end of the call, there were some technical issues on the rep's end. The end result seems to be that while the user the was added, a card was not issued or mailed. Actually, I got an email afterwards that said: "Due to a system issue, we were unable to mail the card for your authorized user(s)" and mentioned I could request a new card by calling in. 

I've only had a handful of adds across the two companies, and have never bothered to activate the AU cards, so I'm thinking I can just ignore this? Seems like the AU should post given that they were in fact added, but I thought run the situation by the experts here.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5268 on: October 26, 2021, 11:22:54 AM »
Have had this happen quite a few times with Citi.  If you see the add in your account you're probably fine.  Some of the non-US reps botch this so it's always good to check via your login.  Citi doesn't give new card numbers anyway. 

I had a weird experience with Citi. I added a user over the phone, but toward the end of the call, there were some technical issues on the rep's end. The end result seems to be that while the user the was added, a card was not issued or mailed. Actually, I got an email afterwards that said: "Due to a system issue, we were unable to mail the card for your authorized user(s)" and mentioned I could request a new card by calling in. 

I've only had a handful of adds across the two companies, and have never bothered to activate the AU cards, so I'm thinking I can just ignore this? Seems like the AU should post given that they were in fact added, but I thought run the situation by the experts here.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5269 on: October 26, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »
Have had this happen quite a few times with Citi.  If you see the add in your account you're probably fine.  Some of the non-US reps botch this so it's always good to check via your login.  Citi doesn't give new card numbers anyway. 

Thanks. And yeah the AU is listed on my account, so I think I'll wait and see what happens.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #5270 on: October 26, 2021, 12:26:13 PM »
Yes I as well have had the issue with Citi... the AU is added but the card can't be issued.

I'll get a letter in the mail a week later saying the same.

The AU has always posted. I think the first time, I followed up with Citi and jumped through whatever hoops to issue a card. After that, though, I haven't bothered. (I think the first reason they gave was my card was about to reach its expiration date and they couldn't send a new AU card until my original card renewed. But it's kept happening since, so, that can't be it)

As long as they show up on the citi website on my account, they've posted just fine.

This card issue failure seems to happen on 75-90% of my Citi adds. I just ignore it now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:24:00 PM by chuckster »

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #5271 on: October 30, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »

Today I got 3 au adds for my barclays with old company. I had 2 for this card in june, when barclays had all the issues of not reporting, but my cards did post- I had called in to add them and was able to add their Ss#
So that was fine.

But today I have 3 and Im kind of nervous about calling and adding 3 all at once, from people spread out over the country, does that look really weird to them? Or the rep doesnt care?
I could add them online, but that doesnt let you add the ss#.

thoughts?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5272 on: October 30, 2021, 10:37:09 AM »
It's barclays, you don't need to call, just add online.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5273 on: October 30, 2021, 03:11:06 PM »
It's barclays, you don't need to call, just add online.

+1.  From an Old Company recent email, talking about Barclays being back:

"You may add the AU online or over the phone, as we’ve seen both the online and over the phone method result in postings for August. If you add the AU online, always include their address. If you add the AU over the phone always add the SSN. Once you have successfully added the AU, we request that you monitor your account to make sure the AU doesn’t drop and add a balance of at least $10 (but always below 10% utilization)."

I've always added Barclays AUs online, and only had one ever not post.  The one non-post was during the Barclay troubled month, and I got paid half the commission.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #5274 on: October 31, 2021, 12:13:08 AM »
thank you Secondcor521

threepacballer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5275 on: November 01, 2021, 11:46:30 AM »
Is anyone having issues logging in with old company? I get a untrusted web site on both browsers and it won't go to the login page. Thanks

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5276 on: November 01, 2021, 11:58:19 AM »
Is anyone having issues logging in with old company? I get a untrusted web site on both browsers and it won't go to the login page. Thanks

It's a periodic issue.  It should be fixed, but has been around for months.

I ignore the "unsafe" message from Google and proceed (there's a "go ahead, I'm not worried" button somewhere you can find.  But I like to live life on the edge.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5277 on: November 17, 2021, 07:00:36 AM »

Looks like it is only care credit from the email they sent out this week.  (Also, listed above from ARS but I missed it originally).

For those who have care credit, what's the deal with this card? Can you only use it for healthcare expenses and nothing else? It's not 100% clear from reading their website.

Another question: when you got the card, did they give you a high credit line compared to other issuers?

When my wife got lasik surgery they were running a 0% APR financing, which turns out to just be the care credit card.  Surgery was a little over $4k and I think they put the limit slightly over that at like $5k.  We set up autopayments to complete at the end of the promo period, and never used the card for anything else.  When I found out the old company accepted the care credit card I requested a credit limit increase to $16k to get into the next payment tier and was instantly approved, despite never using the card outside of the original financing like 3 years ago.  Since we never used it I can't comment on how it's actually used (I actually posted the same question a week ago or so).  I'm pretty sure when we originally got the account and they sent us a physical card we decided we were never going to use it, so just shredded it immediately.  Now that we are going to sell TL on it I've requested they send me another physical copy of the card, but it hasn't arrived yet.  When it does I'm going to try and see where/what I can charge on it and will report back in this thread.

My original card (the closed one) had a CL of +20k (don't remember exactly and don't really want to waste time on that). I think this is their max. I have other cards with similar CL, so I guess the same as others. My new card that I got absolutely right away (which is very nice of them) has only $5.5K CL, and I still mature it, so don't really care about the CL as of right now, plus I don't use it now (even for vet bills).

Usage: my old card was used heavily for vet appointments, pets emergency rooms and such, you can put (don't quote me - vet's offices would tell you better) >$200 on 6m financing. They have 9 and 12m financing for more expensive purchases (when you have financing on you card, it's a balance that counts for TL purposes as long as it's less than 10% of your CL). When I didn't have any financing on the card, I was able to use the card at Walmart for purchasing beauty products which actually included soap and shampoo, vitamins and such. I'm pretty sure there is a list of all those things on their website (I didn't try to find the list bc I thought by the time I get the link or a pic here, someone would have posted it already).

What I usually do with my cards used for TLs only: I find one-two days a months when I can use all of them to post (they close on different dates and I like to keep it that way). So, for example on the 23rd each month I personally go to Walmart and buy bread or something that we always need and then pay with a different card for each bread (as long as the purchase is >$2 so it's not "forgiven"). And with care credit I pay for soap or vitamins. It does look weird, but I use self service and as long as I don't steal, I don't think anybody minds.

I'm pretty sure you can use Care credit in dental office (not all, just ask), some private clinics. They extend the list every year.

I don't use vet or dr services frequently enough to ensure I get a charge on every cycle. 

I've read on their website how it can be used at certain vendors for OTC medicine and health/beauty stuff, but I don't understand the mechanism.  How do they differentiate between aspirin and soda when I'm at the register? I know CVS can differentiate between them, but when the card is scanned how does synchrony know what exactly is being purchased?

I sold a spot on the care credit card.  Bought vitamins at walgreens and the card worked like a regular credit card.

Last month I purchased some item from the OTC section plus several books of stamps and it worked fine.  Yesterday I decided I didn't need any over priced OTC stuff from walgreens so I just bought a $6 bag of m&ms and it worked fine.  Luckily walgreens is right on my way home so it's easy to stop and make a purchase each month.  Kind of a pain in the ass, but worth it for that $125 income.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5278 on: November 18, 2021, 07:08:09 PM »
My sales have gone dead, anyone else?  Old company, I have a Barclays which used to sell out 2 spots consistently, a Discover card that sold decently and I added a chase card the last enrollment which hasn’t yet sold a spot. Nothing in the last 4 months. Is this normal? 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5279 on: November 18, 2021, 07:20:25 PM »
Got a sale today, and another one a few days ago.  No drop for me.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5280 on: November 18, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »
My sales have gone dead, anyone else?  Old company, I have a Barclays which used to sell out 2 spots consistently, a Discover card that sold decently and I added a chase card the last enrollment which hasn’t yet sold a spot. Nothing in the last 4 months. Is this normal?

My sales history has varied over the years on a month-to-month basis and on a card-by-card basis.

What you could do is just double check that your cards show active in the portal.

I do think that as more people sign up, the existing sales are getting spread across more people so each of us is getting fewer sales.  This has been going on for a while now.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #5281 on: November 18, 2021, 08:42:23 PM »

My sales are slow but they always have been. So no real change here.
That's with 6 cards available.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5282 on: November 19, 2021, 06:19:23 AM »
I see that care card is from synchrony bank, the care card. I have a synchrony bank card from last year maybe I can try that out. It seems that I saturated all the other banks and have not been approved lately for new cards. I do have a target card, maybe they take that.

I have not noticed any change in tradelines sales, but I also work with an unapproved company not with the company one nor the new company.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5283 on: November 20, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
My sales have dropped a bit, but I have a BBVA card that always sold 2 spots that the company sold the card to PNC and a Chase, big money card that got sold to Barclay.  It's been a few months for the changeover with no new AUs and I just had a few emails with Leslie Ann about both cards and confirmed the closing date, card age (which fortunately still is the same) and credit limit.  My understanding is that the Barclay holds are done now, so those cards can start coming off my low balance forgiveness list and get some AUs going.

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5284 on: November 28, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
For the last 2 ½ years I have been increasing the number of cards I have and the credit limits.  However, in the last 3 months I have had no success, every request is denied.  I have gone from 2 cards to 17 currently, 248k credit limit, good income, credit score over 800, and carry no balances.

Is there any recommendation on how to continue CLIs and new card requests?

Thanks in advance

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5285 on: November 29, 2021, 07:00:45 AM »
For the last 2 ½ years I have been increasing the number of cards I have and the credit limits.  However, in the last 3 months I have had no success, every request is denied.  I have gone from 2 cards to 17 currently, 248k credit limit, good income, credit score over 800, and carry no balances.

Thanks in advance

Understand that several providers won't even consider giving you a card if you have applied for too many.  Chase and Capital One are the 2 that I absolutely know for sure fall into this.  Cap One is actually more stringent than Chase.  So you can apply to the easier ones like BoA, who will shut down every account you have if they think something fishy is going on....like they did with me, or Wells Fargo, or the like.  As far as credit limit increases, they all look at number of cards and total credit vs your income.  It's pretty easy to increase your income with all the credit cards you have.  If you're reasonable about it, that can help.  Age of credit matters and credit karma shows this.  I always tend to hoover just under 5 years. 5 years is the good spot and of course every new card I get to collect that $200 sets me back with a 1 month old age.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5286 on: November 29, 2021, 11:17:46 AM »

Thanks in advance

There are two sorts of limits.  One is sort of a speed limit in that the CC companies won't give you additional CL or additional cards at some sort of rate - for example, there's the famous Chase 5/2 rule, and many issuers will only consider CLIs every 6 months.

The other is sort of an absolute number limit, where the issuers will only give you X number of cards total or $Y in credit limits total.  This latter limit is, I think, broken into two:  each issuer will only give you a certain amount of credit, and all issuers collectively will only give you a total amount of credit across all issuers.

It sounds like you're bumping up against this latter limit, although some of your denials may be of the first kind if you're trying too often.

There are some things you can do:

1.  Increase your stated household income.  I'm fairly sure that a lot of what the issuers base their $Y decisions on is some multiple of your household income.  And I think, from my experience, that that multiple is about 1/3-ish of your annual income per issuer, and about 3x-ish your annual income overall.

2.  Increase your utilization.  Issuers will give you higher limits on specific cards if you're using the card a lot.  Like 1/2 of the credit limit each month for months on end.  So you could push a lot of spending through a single card for a few months, then ask for a CLI on that card.  Repeat with other cards.

3.  Play issuers off each other.  I think sometimes CC issuers get competitive with each other, so if you manage somehow to get a $20K line with AMEX, Chase will notice this and be more likely to give you a $20K line on your Chase card.  Ratchet them up by playing them off each other.

4.  Slow and small.  Often CC issuers will give you a small CLI without much fuss.  So if you ask for a $2K increase, that's hardly worth it for them to think about, analyze, and/or reject and annoy you their customer.  So you can ask for $2K increases every six months, which is small on an individual level, but if you get it on, say, 10 out of 17 cards, that's a $20K increase in your overall totals.

5.  Optimize your overall portfolio.  If you have CC's with moderate limits that for whatever reason you're not using, they are taking up your $Y limit to no benefit.  Cancel that $10K limit Sears card, and maybe CapOne will give you $10K more on your CapOne card where you can get more in piggybacking commissions.

6.  Very rarely, computerized CLI increase mechanisms are broken, and you can take advantage of this.  I once had a $99K AMEX limit because of this.  To take advantage of this, you just have to keep your eye out and probably monitor some sort of forum where people post notices about this.  (In the $99K AMEX thing, that was a FatWallet thread.  FatWallet has been defunct for a while.  There could be a Reddit forum for this kind of thing, I don't know.)

HTH.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #5287 on: December 03, 2021, 06:59:03 AM »
Received email from old company that the person currently on my Chase wants to extend it another cycle.
I  know Chase is notorious for closing accounts so this is a positive as the AU will be on there for 8 months before I add another AU.
Anyone else get an extension on the AU?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5288 on: December 03, 2021, 07:02:33 AM »
Yes but with another company, you should get paid extra for that.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5289 on: December 03, 2021, 07:30:22 AM »
Received email from old company that the person currently on my Chase wants to extend it another cycle.
I  know Chase is notorious for closing accounts so this is a positive as the AU will be on there for 8 months before I add another AU.
Anyone else get an extension on the AU?

Yes.  Twice with old company so far, both on Chase cards actually.  I think it's quite a lovely thing, because it is very low effort for an additional commission (I got paid for the second repeat slot in both cases).

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5290 on: December 03, 2021, 07:41:41 AM »
I have had one person on an AmEx card that was first added in Nov 2020. She is still on the card - 2 month cycle, get paid every time she extends. Easiest money made yet!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5291 on: December 03, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
@ducky19 Curious how do you remove an Amex user? May I ask how much you get for that user? Is it per 2 months?
thanks.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #5292 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:11 PM »
Yes but with another company, you should get paid extra for that.

Yes, just need to confirm when the cycle renews and I'll get another $250. Easy $$ :)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5293 on: December 05, 2021, 08:51:05 AM »
I've mentioned that BBVA and Chase have sold cards to PNC and Barclays.  I expected everything would transfer over as is, which it did with PNC, but Barclays (AARP) did not transfer over the auto payment.  Got hit with a 50 cent interest charge.  I was pissed enough that I first thought of just cancelling the card, but thought a bit more and just had them add the auto payment, statement balance and let it pay off the card.  Hopefully the old company will start adding Barclays again and my tradeline payments will overshadow this.

C/N: When a card sells, make sure auto payment is still on.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5294 on: December 05, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
I've mentioned that BBVA and Chase have sold cards to PNC and Barclays.  I expected everything would transfer over as is, which it did with PNC, but Barclays (AARP) did not transfer over the auto payment.  Got hit with a 50 cent interest charge.  I was pissed enough that I first thought of just cancelling the card, but thought a bit more and just had them add the auto payment, statement balance and let it pay off the card.  Hopefully the old company will start adding Barclays again and my tradeline payments will overshadow this.

C/N: When a card sells, make sure auto payment is still on.

Old Company has been doing Barclays for a few months now.

Unless you mean that you haven't signed up your Barclays card with old Company yet and are waiting/hoping for an enrollment period with them.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5295 on: December 06, 2021, 06:04:10 AM »
@ducky19 Curious how do you remove an Amex user? May I ask how much you get for that user? Is it per 2 months?
thanks.
@BikeFanatic The cycle is for two months, once it's complete I will use the chat functionality in their website to remove the user. Usually takes about 3-4 minutes and is painless. That particular card ($26k limit) I'm getting $75 per two month cycle (it's $150 with the "old company"), $37.50 every 30 day extension. Definitely hope the "old company" sales pick up. I do get steady sales on all of my AmEx cards, so volume helps.

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5296 on: December 08, 2021, 09:12:48 AM »
Having started in 2018, and after 121 orders lifetime, I just had my very first shut down.  I logged into my Citi account today and 1 of my 3 cards displays this message: ""This account is closed. For further assistance, please visit our Contact Us page."  The card that was shut down only has had 4 orders on it in all, while the other two have had 13 and 2.

Is it best to rest my other two Citi cards for awhile?  Citi is so annoying to add over the phone, that I might just call it quits with Citi anyway.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5297 on: December 08, 2021, 09:57:28 AM »
Having started in 2018, and after 121 orders lifetime, I just had my very first shut down.  I logged into my Citi account today and 1 of my 3 cards displays this message: ""This account is closed. For further assistance, please visit our Contact Us page."  The card that was shut down only has had 4 orders on it in all, while the other two have had 13 and 2.

Is it best to rest my other two Citi cards for awhile?  Citi is so annoying to add over the phone, that I might just call it quits with Citi anyway.

There are not (yet) too many data points.  I personally would like to see people post more about their shut down experiences so we can collectively attempt to discern any patterns and thus take advantage of them.

I've read that Chase shuts down all accounts, including banking accounts.

I had two US Bank cards shut down at the same time a year or two ago, either coincidentally as part of a broad review or maybe the person was told to look at other cards.  As an FYI, I was able to get two new USBank cards about two months ago, and those are aging now.

I had one of my Barclays card suspended for a while but it was unsuspended after a few months.  On that one I did lay low for a few months but then resumed AU sales without issue.

I had USAA call me and tell me to stop AU sales on their card.  Because I value my overall relationship with USAA, I chose to respect their request.

I've never had Citi troubles (yet).  I would *guess* that the fact that they only did one card could mean that the other cards are OK to continue with.  It's also possible that they're just going through a list in some sort of odd order and they'll shut down your other cards in the next week or so.  If I were in your shoes, I'd probably lay low for a couple of weeks, and if nothing happened I think the risk of a shutdown on the other two cards might be the same as any other card.

I've been doing this for about three years now.  I think as this community continues doing this, we're going to realize that it's just a matter of time until some cards get shut down, and I suspect many of us will experience that.

My strategy, FWIW, is to keep getting and aging new cards.  So overall I've lost three cards, but I have six more that I got recently that I intend to piggyback with in two years if the game is still afoot.  I'll point out that this works for me because I'm FIREd with a paid off house and car, so I don't really need good credit (although I currently still have it).  For people who are younger and may need their credit, they may want to take a different approach.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5298 on: December 09, 2021, 07:42:25 AM »
Shutdown experiences... oh my, where to start?

I had 5 cards with Chase, sold a total of 10 slots on two cards in a year and a half. Chase did not approve, so they shut down all of my cards. Over $85k in credit limit gone like a fart in the wind.

Bank of America - also had 5 cards with $42k in credit. Sold 9 slots in about the same time period as Chase. Shut down all five cards.

Capital One - my oldest card (2004) was restricted after 3 slots sold. I assumed the card was going to be shut down, so I just let it go. After a year of it being restricted, I called in and spent a half hour on the phone, but was able to get the restriction lifted. Didn't sell any more slots on that card. Got a Venture card in 2017 and sold two slots on it before it was just shut down. Oldest card is still open though.

Citi has never given me any grief - I do have to go to their fraud department occasionally to verify I'm me, and I hate calling them in. Barclay is never a problem, PNC, Associated Bank, AmEx, no issues.

Moral of the story though, Chase and Bank of America will shut down ALL of your cards. If they make up a larger percentage of your total available credit limit, I would think twice before selling on them. For me, the loss of over $100k in credit limit sucked, but I still have over $400k in available credit so I'm good.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5299 on: January 03, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
Getting shutdown by BofA this year hurt.  Got and survived financial review at Amex.   But just did the math and made over 25k in 2021 with this side hustle so pretty happy about that.  Seems to be picking up with lots of sales too to start the year.