Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906488 times)

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #4850 on: April 15, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
Has anybody ever tried selling a tradeline on a business card? Two advantages I can see - if you get shutdown it's not on your personal cards, and the banks might be less suspicious of frequent AU activity on business accounts (you're plausibly issuing them to employees etc.). My "business" is from real estate activity and it's not a big deal if they do get shut down.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4851 on: April 15, 2021, 02:49:10 PM »
Has anybody ever tried selling a tradeline on a business card? Two advantages I can see - if you get shutdown it's not on your personal cards, and the banks might be less suspicious of frequent AU activity on business accounts (you're plausibly issuing them to employees etc.). My "business" is from real estate activity and it's not a big deal if they do get shut down.

Doesn't work.  The AU's business card won't report on their personal credit history and therefore won't give them a credit boost, and therefore they won't pay for something that doesn't give them the benefit they seek.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4852 on: April 15, 2021, 02:50:23 PM »

They don't report to credit reports like personal cards, so you can't.  Capital one used to but I think they just changed that.  And even when they did when you were primary the AUs didn't show up.  I thinK Barclays may have as well. This is why those who churn signup bonuses often use business cards as they stay under the radar with new accounts on your credit report.     There may be some exceptions but I don't know of any with smaller issuers.

If you do it right you can minimize shutdowns on personal cards, but of course never list a card you don't want to lose.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4853 on: April 15, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
Ah, bummer.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4854 on: April 16, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »
My reminder just went off to remove an AU from my discover card, but when I go to the discover website that person is no longer listed as an AU.  In the tradeline portal I can see that the AU was successfully posted and I was paid for it.  Since it posted and I was paid it seems like it shouldn't be an issue, but also WTF? I never removed that AU.  I don't remember getting any notifications from discover that they removed any AU for me either. 

Anyone had anything similar happen?

Ignore this post. This AU was on my citi and not my discover. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:59:35 PM by frugalnacho »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4855 on: April 16, 2021, 01:56:48 PM »
I recently had a large purchase come up, and it had to go on cc, so I used my best rewards cc for the situation which is my citi doublecash (2% back).  My limit is $9,500 and this purchase brought me to just over $9,000 on the card.  I paid the charge off immediately, so when my statement ends it should post with just a few hundred on it and be well under the 10% utilization.

Is doing this likely to cause a problem or issue?  I am going to run into this same scenario a couple times over the next couple months, and I would prefer to use my best rewards.  I wasn't anticipating that only cc payments would be accepted, so I didn't sign up for any new cards.  I could potentially try to sign up for more cards and easily meet the minimum spend with the other planned transactions.

Is citi likely to give me an increased limit due to spending so close to my limit?  They've been keeping me at $9,500 so I am just out of the next pricing tier for TL, and they've denied my last couple requests for credit increases.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4856 on: April 16, 2021, 01:59:53 PM »
My reminder just went off to remove an AU from my discover card, but when I go to the discover website that person is no longer listed as an AU.  In the tradeline portal I can see that the AU was successfully posted and I was paid for it.  Since it posted and I was paid it seems like it shouldn't be an issue, but also WTF? I never removed that AU.  I don't remember getting any notifications from discover that they removed any AU for me either. 

Anyone had anything similar happen?

Once, I think.  Since you're in a good state I wouldn't worry about it.  I certainly wouldn't worry enough to call Discover.

There's an outside possibility that the AU called Discover and removed themselves.  Unlikely, but I've had AUs do approximately the same level of weird things.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4857 on: April 16, 2021, 02:07:32 PM »
I recently had a large purchase come up, and it had to go on cc, so I used my best rewards cc for the situation which is my citi doublecash (2% back).  My limit is $9,500 and this purchase brought me to just over $9,000 on the card.  I paid the charge off immediately, so when my statement ends it should post with just a few hundred on it and be well under the 10% utilization.

Is doing this likely to cause a problem or issue?  I am going to run into this same scenario a couple times over the next couple months, and I would prefer to use my best rewards.  I wasn't anticipating that only cc payments would be accepted, so I didn't sign up for any new cards.  I could potentially try to sign up for more cards and easily meet the minimum spend with the other planned transactions.

Is citi likely to give me an increased limit due to spending so close to my limit?  They've been keeping me at $9,500 so I am just out of the next pricing tier for TL, and they've denied my last couple requests for credit increases.

It's unlikely but possible.  As I'm sure you know, CCs typically only report statement balances to the CRAs, but they are not restricted from reporting it at other times, so you conceivably run the risk of the CC reporting a mid-cycle balance (for whatever reason) and then aggravating any AUs you have on there.

For simplicity's sake and to avoid any risk of the above, I separate my daily CC usage from my piggybacking cards.

Spending close to your limit might induce Citi to raise your limit.  Usually that's one factor they look at.  The other big one is your reported household income.  And then of course your overall credit score and history.

I suspect, but cannot confirm, that AUs looking at their card options will pick the highest limit and oldest card within a given price range.  So if your Citi gets raised to $10.1K, and it's now mixed in with a bunch of other cards that range from $10K to $20K for the same price, I would imagine that a hypothetical AU would pick someone else's $19.8K limit card over yours.  So you have to decide if that tradeoff is worth it to you.

But AUs are not the most rational of financial actors, and I can't fully explain the relative popularity of my cards' slots with the above logic, so it's maybe just a hypothetical concern.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4858 on: April 16, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »

It's unlikely but possible.  As I'm sure you know, CCs typically only report statement balances to the CRAs, but they are not restricted from reporting it at other times, so you conceivably run the risk of the CC reporting a mid-cycle balance (for whatever reason) and then aggravating any AUs you have on there.

For simplicity's sake and to avoid any risk of the above, I separate my daily CC usage from my piggybacking cards.

Spending close to your limit might induce Citi to raise your limit.  Usually that's one factor they look at.  The other big one is your reported household income.  And then of course your overall credit score and history.

I suspect, but cannot confirm, that AUs looking at their card options will pick the highest limit and oldest card within a given price range.  So if your Citi gets raised to $10.1K, and it's now mixed in with a bunch of other cards that range from $10K to $20K for the same price, I would imagine that a hypothetical AU would pick someone else's $19.8K limit card over yours.  So you have to decide if that tradeoff is worth it to you.

But AUs are not the most rational of financial actors, and I can't fully explain the relative popularity of my cards' slots with the above logic, so it's maybe just a hypothetical concern.

I set an alert for the pending charge, and immediately logged on and paid it off as soon as it posted.  It was probably only posted for an hour before being paid.  Less likely to be chosen with a higher limit, but also more money per AU with the higher limit.  Hmm.  I don't know what they would raise my limit to, nor how many sales I'd get, so I don't know if I can evaluate that.  But it's something to ponder that I hadn't initially considered.

You replied to me other post before I could edit it.  My AU was on my citi and not discover, so I'm just a doofus and nothing fishy happened. 

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4859 on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:37 PM »
How has Fidelity/Elan been lately for adding AU lately?  Can you add them online? My Fidelity was shut down last last year for adding too many AUs. I was just approved for a new Fidelity card, but when I click to add an AU, it says I have to call them. Has this happened to anyone else?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4860 on: April 20, 2021, 01:11:24 PM »
Just got a letter that my formerly best selling card (hit the max # of AU's) with Barclays will be reissued as a different product/card.  Letter says it will have a new #.  Yahoo!  Any predictions on if that will reset the AU limit AND keep the original open date??  Fingers crossed... :)

This is supposed to happen in May so I will update the thread once I get the card.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4861 on: April 20, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »
Just got a letter that my formerly best selling card (hit the max # of AU's) with Barclays will be reissued as a different product/card.  Letter says it will have a new #.  Yahoo!  Any predictions on if that will reset the AU limit AND keep the original open date??  Fingers crossed... :)

This is supposed to happen in May so I will update the thread once I get the card.

Why did this happen?  Did you ask for it, or did the old product/card go away for some reason, or ...?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4862 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:17 PM »

Why did this happen?  Did you ask for it, or did the old product/card go away for some reason, or ...?

Product going away.  Here are 2 links from DoC.  I did not think anything of it when these first popped up.  Maybe others will get lucky too!

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-financing-cardholders-to-be-converted-new-barclays-view-mastercard/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclays-visa-with-apple-rewards-to-be-replaced-with-barclays-view/

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #4863 on: April 20, 2021, 06:11:59 PM »

Fingers crossed! My Barclays arrival has supposedly been discontinued for a bit, I haven't gotten any such letter. But then again, I'm still going strong. I've had 44 Authorized Users on that card, so I'm expecting to hit the limit any time now.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4864 on: April 22, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »
Are people still able to add users to Fidelity/Elan online? I tried, but there is a message that I need to call them. Anyone else experience this?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4865 on: April 23, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Are people still able to add users to Fidelity/Elan online? I tried, but there is a message that I need to call them. Anyone else experience this?

Sorry to say I don't know.  My fidelity card was shut down a while back.  Hope someone else knows the answer.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #4866 on: April 23, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
I'm not playing the tradelines game, but I added my teenage daughters as AUs to help with their credit history and we also got them signed into Credit Karma to watch for fraud.  I was surprised to see that they can see the credit line balance and limits via Credit Karma, so you are giving up a tiny amount of personal info the the AUs on your account.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #4867 on: April 23, 2021, 05:52:10 PM »
I'm not playing the tradelines game, but I added my teenage daughters as AUs to help with their credit history and we also got them signed into Credit Karma to watch for fraud.  I was surprised to see that they can see the credit line balance and limits via Credit Karma, so you are giving up a tiny amount of personal info the the AUs on your account.

Fair, but, that's what they're paying for... adding the limit to increase their "available credit" and the balance to reduce their "utilization"

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4868 on: April 24, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »

Not sure this is the case with all companies, but I have looked at their inventory from a buyer's perspective before (out of curiosity). While they typically pay us a set amount in a range, the cards will have a different price tag on the consumer side based on age and limit. So just because you get a limit raised that puts you into a higher pay bracket doesn't mean it's going to cost significantly more for the consumer to purchase.

This means that the cards at the high end of a range make the tradeline company more money than those at the bottom, but it likely evens out. I would assume the ranges are just much easier for them than quoting cards at a fixed rate of the retail price.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4869 on: April 24, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »

I just had an AU for my Associated Bank (Elan) card. Their website was down, but I was able to add the user using their mobile app. I'm not sure how that equates to other Elan cards, though.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4870 on: April 24, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »

Fingers crossed! My Barclays arrival has supposedly been discontinued for a bit, I haven't gotten any such letter. But then again, I'm still going strong. I've had 44 Authorized Users on that card, so I'm expecting to hit the limit any time now.

Wow, 44 users, really!!? My Barclay lifetime limit has always been 30, same for my wife. I wonder why there is such a range?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4871 on: April 24, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
I was sure I saw something about Discover cards recently, but I can't find the post now. It was in reference to the apparent date limit on adding another user to your Discover card. I recently had one user on my card, and even though it says I can have up to 5 users it said that I couldn't add another until 5/18/21. I received an order for this card and was told that you can still call the order in. I tried it, spoke with a US based CSR who was able to help me add the user in about 10 minutes. Just wanted to throw that out there in case others have run into this issue with Discover.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #4872 on: April 24, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
Wow, 44 users, really!!? My Barclay lifetime limit has always been 30, same for my wife. I wonder why there is such a range?

Yes. I don't ask questions, I'm happy to just let the gravy train keep running as long as it will go ;-)

I was sure I saw something about Discover cards recently, but I can't find the post now. It was in reference to the apparent date limit on adding another user to your Discover card. I recently had one user on my card, and even though it says I can have up to 5 users it said that I couldn't add another until 5/18/21. I received an order for this card and was told that you can still call the order in. I tried it, spoke with a US based CSR who was able to help me add the user in about 10 minutes. Just wanted to throw that out there in case others have run into this issue with Discover.

Thanks for the tip! My Discover Card has been sidelined for quite a while, waiting for the AU lockout period to end, so I might try making one slot available to see if I can add via the phone.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4873 on: April 27, 2021, 05:13:05 AM »
+1 to this. My Discover says I can add again online although I have yet to try. P2 still has a date listed but calling in to add the AU was successful. 

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #4874 on: April 27, 2021, 12:13:55 PM »
Just got the dreaded letter yesterday from Bank of America. This after having the card for like 12 years, and only doing Tradelines for 4 sales. C'est la Vie. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as they shut down all the cards, and one of them I actively use...so they won't see that income.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4875 on: April 27, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »
BOA shut me down too. I heard you can only add one user at a time to them, I had added like 2-3 OH well.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #4876 on: April 30, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
I FINALLY got another order yesterday! When I logged in, it turned out there were TWO new users to add. I just finished the call to add them. Happy that I'm finally seeing some activity.

I don't know if the issue was that I never notified them that I had removed the previous user or what. I did that about a month ago and also got the card limit bumped from $12k to $14k.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4877 on: April 30, 2021, 04:01:47 PM »
Question about Barclaycard. If a card you use for tradelines is re-issued for security reasons because one of the merchants you used it with was compromised, does it make any difference for tradeline sales or existing AUs? The account stays the same, just the main card is re-issued with a different number.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4878 on: April 30, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Question about Barclaycard. If a card you use for tradelines is re-issued for security reasons because one of the merchants you used it with was compromised, does it make any difference for tradeline sales or existing AUs? The account stays the same, just the main card is re-issued with a different number.

AFAIK, no.  It works fine.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
With anyone, when the card is re-issued, everything with tradelines remains as is.  I just had one where I check quite often (because tradelines need a balance), and saw a fraud charge.  Called and they actually declined the charge before I saw it in pending charges.  Re-issued the card.  Live goes on.  Card came in yesterday and so I activated it and bought take out with it to be sure it's working.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
Will "old company" email you when a spot sells? I can't find that info in their FAQ.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Will "old company" email you when a spot sells? I can't find that info in their FAQ.

Yes they will (both companies do this). You can also sign up to get a text message.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
Need some urgent advice-
I have 2 bank of america cards signed up with old company. One had a 10k limit  and one had a 20k limit (and is a really old card, 15+ yrs)

I opened a new card with them this past week for rewards, and the new card has 20k limit, but they reduced my other two cards to 9k and 12k. Which stinks because it lowers my commission fees on those cards, the 9k one may not be eligible anymore.

Is there anything I can say to the BofA rep that could help me redistribute some of the new card back to the other card (s)?? That seems like a big red flag to me, they are going to ask why, etc. I only put small charges of 30-50$ a month on those two cards and just use them for AUs basically.

I know BoA is risky and gets shutdowns so perhaps I should just leave it alone? I have been getting sales on the two cards thru Old Company this past year. But previous years, hardly any.

Any thoughts.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Reallocating credit is not a red flag. It's done all the time.

Having said that, one of the TL companies I work with is not selling BofA right now because there have been quite a few recent shutdowns.

N

• Handlebar Stache
If they asked why (I guess Im mainly concerned about the higher limit card, becasuse its worth the highest commission, and it was actually 27, 500 and now 12) what would I say? Or is the advice to just leave it?

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I typically just say that I want to use each of these cards for different spending, is it possible to move some from my new card to my old cards?  Then they'll ask you how much and will make it happen.  Looks like they might do a credit pull is the only caveat

This post has a lot of helpful info on the process https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rules-for-reallocating-your-credit-limit-with-each-credit-card-issuer/

N

• Handlebar Stache
thanks harrydogyo

I called and it was very simple to move credit from my new account to the other account. I appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:23:10 AM by N »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Anyone here have a Kohls card (Capital One) and try adding AUs to it?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Need some urgent advice-
I have 2 bank of america cards signed up with old company. One had a 10k limit  and one had a 20k limit (and is a really old card, 15+ yrs)

I opened a new card with them this past week for rewards, and the new card has 20k limit, but they reduced my other two cards to 9k and 12k. Which stinks because it lowers my commission fees on those cards, the 9k one may not be eligible anymore.

Is there anything I can say to the BofA rep that could help me redistribute some of the new card back to the other card (s)?? That seems like a big red flag to me, they are going to ask why, etc. I only put small charges of 30-50$ a month on those two cards and just use them for AUs basically.

I know BoA is risky and gets shutdowns so perhaps I should just leave it alone? I have been getting sales on the two cards thru Old Company this past year. But previous years, hardly any.

Any thoughts.

When BofA did this to me, they sent me a letter with a number I could call to re-allocate. There's a reference number they will identify you by. 

Don't call the number on the back of your card, I tried that beore I got the letter and they said I would need to submit a credit application.

redwheel92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi all, I'm new to tradelines and was wondering if anyone could message me what companies they recommend selling through. I notice "old company" and "new company" being thrown around quite a bit, but would appreciate the help! Thanks!

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

Got the new card finally.  It shows the original open date and has a new number.  I will try to add spouse as an AU to see if it works as I hope.  Will advise.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Hi all, I'm new to tradelines and was wondering if anyone could message me what companies they recommend selling through. I notice "old company" and "new company" being thrown around quite a bit, but would appreciate the help! Thanks!

PM sent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:52:21 PM by secondcor521 »

Shannondoggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Would you be kind enough to PM the information as well.  Thank you.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Would you be kind enough to PM the information as well.  Thank you.

PM sent.

As in the OP, please PM me if you'd like more info to not clutter the thread with requests. Cheers! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
Quick question. I've got a CC issued by Elan Financial, but there's an AMEX sticker in the bottom right corner. Assuming 2+ years of history and $10k+ credit limit, does anyone know whether this card would be eligible for tradelines?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Quick question. I've got a CC issued by Elan Financial, but there's an AMEX sticker in the bottom right corner. Assuming 2+ years of history and $10k+ credit limit, does anyone know whether this card would be eligible for tradelines?

Nope, unfortunately Amex doesn't report the same way (they report the date opened as the date you added the AU, so they get the benefit of the credit limit, but not age). There are some TL companies out there that will take them, but it isn't common.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I wonder if you can product change to one of their visa or mc products and keep the age of the card? Might be worth a call… I has a citi Amex that  recently switched to a MasterCard and kept the age when it reports.

One of my Amex cards is my biggest sellers but it’s the high limit since no age of account  reports.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
My mailman is becoming suspicious.  #mpp

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache

I wonder if you can product change to one of their visa or mc products and keep the age of the card? Might be worth a call… I has a citi Amex that  recently switched to a MasterCard and kept the age when it reports.

One of my Amex cards is my biggest sellers but it’s the high limit since no age of account  reports.

Great idea. I'll call and ask.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
My mailman is becoming suspicious.  #mpp

Sounds like someone needs a new business expense to write off...  :)   $46/yr for a USPS po box.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!