Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906621 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #4350 on: September 06, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Thanks!  Going to send today/tomorrow so it gets in the door, hopefully. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4351 on: September 06, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »
I'd enroll anything 6+ months now, even if you wait for it to hit a certain age (2+ years or whatever) to make it "live."

Ah, so we can enroll now and put on hold until 2 years it sounds like.

Need to do that.  I was aging some but don't want to do the $50 a spot thing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4352 on: September 06, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
I'd enroll anything 6+ months now, even if you wait for it to hit a certain age (2+ years or whatever) to make it "live."

Ah, so we can enroll now and put on hold until 2 years it sounds like.

Need to do that.  I was aging some but don't want to do the $50 a spot thing.

Yeah, I absolutely would, cause who knows if they'll be enrolling when it hits that target date. Worth having it already set up, then put a calendar alert to email them and set it to active when it hits 2 years.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #4353 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
Had a whoops today.  Was adding someone to Barclay's and not paying attention to what I was doing.  Accidentally used my address instead of the AU's. By the time I realized what I had done,  I no longer had the correct address to use.  I immediately emailed New Company but with the holiday,  I don't expect this to be resolved in my favor. Any recommendations in the meantime?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4354 on: September 06, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Had a whoops today.  Was adding someone to Barclay's and not paying attention to what I was doing.  Accidentally used my address instead of the AU's. By the time I realized what I had done,  I no longer had the correct address to use.  I immediately emailed New Company but with the holiday,  I don't expect this to be resolved in my favor. Any recommendations in the meantime?
Call the CC company and have them update the address for the AU. Shouldn't be an issue.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4355 on: September 06, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
Call the CC company and have them update the address for the AU. Shouldn't be an issue.

+1.  New Company should give you the information again if you just explain the situation.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4356 on: September 07, 2020, 07:18:00 AM »
Misundecided, did you call in and add the social? I have used my address many times for the AU and it posted fine but I have added social security number via telephone.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #4357 on: September 07, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
When I clicked "added" all that info (his address, social, etc) was no longer accessible to me so I couldn't call in to add info.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #4358 on: September 07, 2020, 05:03:32 PM »
I always cut and paste the user info into a document.  I started doing this when I began, worried that I might need to verify some of his info when I called in to remove the user.

Although that never happened, I did need the info in another situation. I called in an AU to citi and the CSR didn't ask for the address so I offered it, and he said they didn't need it.  So I went to the site online to add the address on my own to be safe.

While there I checked the other older AU and his address had automatically been updated to the new one's address! I had to look up his info to change it back to what it should have been. (I had two different AUs, different addresses, different states. I had only changed the address on the brand new one. So it was just lucky that I thought to check the older one while I was online and that I still had his correct address to put in.)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4359 on: September 07, 2020, 07:04:03 PM »
When I clicked "added" all that info (his address, social, etc) was no longer accessible to me so I couldn't call in to add info.

As I said before, if you tell the TL company the situation, they'll give it to you again.  Hassle, but workable.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4360 on: September 07, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »
I always cut and paste the user info into a document.  I started doing this when I began, worried that I might need to verify some of his info when I called in to remove the user.

I'm fairly certain that doing this is against the TL company's terms (at least, the TL companies recommended on this thread).  People may think it ironic, but it is a data security risk for the AU for you to have their name, SSN, DOB, address, etc. in an Excel file (or whatever).

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #4361 on: September 07, 2020, 08:56:57 PM »

As I said before, if you tell the TL company the situation, they'll give it to you again.  Hassle, but workable.

Yes I reached out the moment I realized my error, but as I mentioned, with it being a holiday weekend I didn't expect, nor have I gotten, a response.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4362 on: September 07, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »

Yes I reached out the moment I realized my error, but as I mentioned, with it being a holiday weekend I didn't expect, nor have I gotten, a response.

Ah, it sounds like you said that before...apologies, I'm getting a bit forgetful.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #4363 on: September 07, 2020, 10:51:52 PM »
Clearly, so am I! ;)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4364 on: September 08, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
The payment issues are so wide spread and have been happening for so long that I can't believe it's not intentional at this point.  You've mastered this business, all except being able to pay people on time? GTFO with that nonsense. 

I've had issues with the new company in the past, but I don't think I've reconciled any of my payments for 2020 yet (it's been a wild year and I've really not been paying close attention to my finances).  I suspect when I go to reconcile everything I'll be back to also bitch about delayed payments.

hooooo boy, I should have been more on top of paying attention to payments coming in (or not coming in rather).  Have they (new company) switched book keeping methods?  Previously the payments would show up in my bank account as something like "ACH Deposit COMPANY NAME TYPE: QUICKBOOKS CO: COMPANY NAME", but I haven't received a deposit since July 2019 even though I've had a lot of sales.  Currently seeing a $1,000 discrepancy between my orders and deposits to my checking account.  Some of that is recent stuff that shouldn't have posted, but at least half of it is long over due.

Paging @arebelspy to get to the bottom of this mystery. 

ETA: I've emailed my spreadsheet directly to arebelspy.

I was last paid in July and it was listed in Mint as "NEW COMPANY INC QUICKBOOKS PPD ID: 123456789"

Needed arebelspy to get me that payment (about $700 was owed at the time)

I'm caught up for now but expect another $850 by 12/31. I am not sure how much pressure to apply but I'd like to be current by EOY so as to be doing my taxes (and contributions) correctly. I expect another couple of hundred early next year.

I find you really, really need to track every sale on a spreadsheet. I put what card got a slot sold, the date, the name, the order #, the date I did the addition, the date I did the removal, how much I should get paid, what day I expect to be paid, and then if I did get paid. That way I can see how much is past due.

It sucks that they're absolutely terrible at paying out. But it is what it is. The owner guy never responds to emails. The woman who is the contact will reply but won't deal with bugging the owner guy about payments. Only arebelspy does anything useful.

Honestly I'd be fine letting the amount I'm owed grow and then get a payout only when it hits a large enough number, say every six months. It just sucks it's so hard to get them to do their job.

It's impossible to match up the payments to the sales though.  There is no identifying information on the deposits from the company, they are all listed identical. The only thing that varies is the amount they deposit, and sometimes it matches up to an expected sale, but sometimes it's more or less.  Sometimes deposits get double up and I'll have 2 TL sales get paid with a single transaction.  And all the payments are so late that it's impossible to match them up based on timing.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4365 on: September 08, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »
Just an FYI with the new company as well, I had/have an issue with them dropping the fee on a couple cards without even telling me. They were only dropped by $25 but should not have been as the CL's never changed or anything else that would have impacted the fee. I emailed about missing payments and the issue with the fees. Surprisingly I haven't heard back. </sarcasm>   

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4366 on: September 08, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Just an FYI with the new company as well, I had/have an issue with them dropping the fee on a couple cards without even telling me. They were only dropped by $25 but should not have been as the CL's never changed or anything else that would have impacted the fee. I emailed about missing payments and the issue with the fees. Surprisingly I haven't heard back. </sarcasm>

I encountered the same thing in 2018.  Supposedly they have another person with exact same name as me and got us mixed up, so I was receiving the normal payment which differed from the MMM referral payment (which was $25 more).  Supposedly got sorted out after getting arebelspy involved, but I still don't think they paid me all the money that was due.   I'm unsure if that $50 payment was to rectify some previous wrong payments, or is a new payment for a different AU.  Impossible to tell since none of their payments are coded or identified in anyway.  I planned to wait until more time past and I would be able to match everything up in retrospect, but that's also proving difficult now.  The only thing I can tell for sure is that there is a $1,000 discrepancy between sales and payments.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4367 on: September 08, 2020, 03:20:17 PM »

I encountered the same thing in 2018.  Supposedly they have another person with exact same name as me and got us mixed up, so I was receiving the normal payment which differed from the MMM referral payment (which was $25 more).  Supposedly got sorted out after getting arebelspy involved, but I still don't think they paid me all the money that was due.   I'm unsure if that $50 payment was to rectify some previous wrong payments, or is a new payment for a different AU.  Impossible to tell since none of their payments are coded or identified in anyway.  I planned to wait until more time past and I would be able to match everything up in retrospect, but that's also proving difficult now.  The only thing I can tell for sure is that there is a $1,000 discrepancy between sales and payments.

I've kept track along the way with both Old and New Company exactly to avoid this situation.  Old Company makes it easier because they pay pretty regularly - any adds this month are paid end of next.  They don't itemize it by order, but if I ever am unsure I clarify with them so as to keep the running tally going.

(Of course I was the nerdy 17 year old manually reconciling my checkbook with my bank statement every month before Quicken.)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4368 on: September 09, 2020, 05:41:09 AM »

I've kept track along the way with both Old and New Company exactly to avoid this situation.  Old Company makes it easier because they pay pretty regularly - any adds this month are paid end of next.  They don't itemize it by order, but if I ever am unsure I clarify with them so as to keep the running tally going.

(Of course I was the nerdy 17 year old manually reconciling my checkbook with my bank statement every month before Quicken.)

I keep diligent records. That's how I was able to figure this out.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4369 on: September 09, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
@arebelspy Do you know how long the enrollment period will be this time around?  I have another card to enroll that just hit 2 years....  Thanks for any info!

They opened enrollment on the 15th of Aug, had about half the cards they wanted to add by the 28th of Aug. Cards maybe slowed coming in though so IDK? Could be a week, could be a month.

Thanks again.

PSA for anyone procrastinating :)    They are still taking cards.  I sent mine on Sunday and it was processed today.  So despite the "rush" only 2 days to process.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #4370 on: September 11, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »
Back in July, Discover blocked my account for a while. They wanted a 4506-T form. I sent it in and they unblocked the account.

In late August I was able to add an AU as usual.

I just tried to add another AU and this message popped up.
"Verification of your authorized users is in progress.We will notify you of a final decision in 3-5 days, but it can take up to 30 days if we need more information from you."

Anyone else get this message? Is this card done for?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4371 on: September 11, 2020, 05:09:23 AM »
Back in July, Discover blocked my account for a while. They wanted a 4506-T form. I sent it in and they unblocked the account.

In late August I was able to add an AU as usual.

I just tried to add another AU and this message popped up.
"Verification of your authorized users is in progress.We will notify you of a final decision in 3-5 days, but it can take up to 30 days if we need more information from you."

Anyone else get this message? Is this card done for?
I get it from Discover occasionally. Typically it's not a big deal. One time they requested address verification documents for the AU but failed to notify me in time for the AU to post. I would just login to Discover daily to see what the status is. 

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4372 on: September 11, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
I have also gotten that message from discover and they resolved the issue in 3 business days. Keep checking on the website but if you call they will not rush it in time for posting IN my experience.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #4373 on: September 11, 2020, 08:59:57 AM »
Yes happened to me before and it was resolved in a few days.

With Discover you can request off cycle reporting, so if they don’t approve before your statement date you still have a shot.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #4374 on: September 12, 2020, 09:10:33 AM »
@MasterStache @BikeFanatic @MoneyTree
Thanks all for sharing your experiences.
Looks like it's verified this morning.
Might pause Discover for a while. Although it has been my most active seller.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4375 on: September 15, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »
Well, with my first AU on my BoA card, they shut down all my cards (2 in total).  For irregular authorized user activity.  This was the first ever AU added to the card.  I've always used only cards that can get burned, so this won't hurt all that much.

Beware.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4376 on: September 15, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
Well, with my first AU on my BoA card, they shut down all my cards (2 in total).  For irregular authorized user activity.  This was the first ever AU added to the card.  I've always used only cards that can get burned, so this won't hurt all that much.

Beware.

Which company - Old, New, or Other?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4377 on: September 15, 2020, 12:16:58 PM »
Dang, that's the fastest I've heard of. That sucks. :(
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #4378 on: September 15, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »

Beware.
Could you please give a bit more details. Were you using the card beyond TL? How old was the card, or how long is your relationship with BoA. Did you have anything else with BoA (checking?). How long have you had the AU on the card? Did it have time to get posted?
I have one AU now on one out of my 3 BoA CCs, it's my first AU on this card. I was considering to open a checking with them, they have been begging me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:27:40 PM by ilsy »

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #4379 on: September 15, 2020, 02:27:54 PM »

Beware.

did they give you a chance to cash in rewards?

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4380 on: September 15, 2020, 02:56:15 PM »
Anyone not get paid by the OLD Company for end of August Commissions? The one that had a good payment record?

Typically they post like clock work and the portal shows "Commission Paid 8/31/2020" but nada in my bank account.

Sent an email and got a response that they're behind due to the influx of new card registrations.

Did they let the influx of new card registrations screw up their commission processing???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:05:34 PM by WFUDEAC »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4381 on: September 15, 2020, 02:59:29 PM »
Oh boy. I hope that doesn't become a thing. That would be really frustrating. They've always had that all automated, I don't know why that would change. It shows payment made on the paychex website?

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4382 on: September 15, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
Oh boy. I hope that doesn't become a thing. That would be really frustrating. They've always had that all automated, I don't know why that would change. It shows payment made on the paychex website?

It shows paid on the card portal (not the paychex website). I don't know that I've ever used the paychex website other then to get my 1099 for 2019....

UPDATE: Just checked Paychex website and it is NOT listed there, so the OLD Company obviously did not process August Month-End Payroll :(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:04:37 PM by WFUDEAC »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4383 on: September 15, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »

It shows paid on the card portal (not the paychex website). I don't know that I've ever used the paychex website other then to get my 1099 for 2019....

UPDATE: Just checked Paychex website and it is NOT listed there, so the OLD Company obviously did not process August Month-End Payroll :(

I got paid by Old Company on 8/28 for two AU adds (one in July, one in June that I think was late to post for some reason).  Card portal says paid 8/31.  Did not look at Paychex.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4384 on: September 15, 2020, 03:14:38 PM »
My end of August payment also came through fine.

Do you happen to have Capital One enrolled with them? I do know they didn't do some July payouts because of a problem with Capital One (Capital One had a major update and dropped a lot of credit limits, they had 30+ orders impacted by that and were manually verifying with all the cardholders their limit).

Chaos703

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4385 on: September 15, 2020, 05:00:24 PM »
I just added my first AUs to a barclay card.  I unchecked the box to have them send me credit cards for the AUs.  Was that a mistake?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4386 on: September 15, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »
I just added my first AUs to a barclay card.  I unchecked the box to have them send me credit cards for the AUs.  Was that a mistake?

It's fine. I always uncheck that. I do put in the AU's address though, as it does help it post.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4387 on: September 15, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »

Same here.  Posted 8/31.

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #4388 on: September 15, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
Yes, posted 8/31 minus for the AUs on my 3 CCs from CapOne.

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4389 on: September 15, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »

Do you happen to have Capital One enrolled with them? I do know they didn't do some July payouts because of a problem with Capital One (Capital One had a major update and dropped a lot of credit limits, they had 30+ orders impacted by that and were manually verifying with all the cardholders their limit).

Yes - my card is CapOne

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4390 on: September 15, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »

Ah, so you had sales on Cap One cards and not Cap One cards and got paid for other cards, but not the Cap One cards?

Makes sense.

Yes - my card is CapOne

I'm guessing that's the issue. I'd reach out to them and ask for clarification.

Perhaps there was an oversight reaching out to you, and their response of "we've been busy with all the new cardholders" wasn't in regards to making payments (which we on time as scheduled) but in terms of dealing with the Capital One issue, and they assumed you had been reached out to and knew about it, and were explaining why it was still being looked into.

Total speculation here, but it fits with what they told me (re: pausing cap one payments while it's sorted out), what ilsy seems to be saying regarding getting a payment minus for AUs on CapOne cards, and the fact that you have a CapOne card.

Let us know what they say!

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #4391 on: September 15, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »

Ah, so you had sales on Cap One cards and not Cap One cards and got paid for other cards, but not the Cap One cards?

Makes sense.

Yes, that's correct. My sales on CapOne are marked as pending and should be paid next month (September). I have confirmed with them that my CL hasn't changed (got reduced) for any of my CapOne cards listed with them. Besides sending the Credit Karma screen shot they asked for, I also added my CapOne website screen shot for each of my CapOne cards.

From their email:
"When will July and August payment be made for Capital One?

Once, we complete individual verification of each Capital One account we will process your commission for July and August on September 30th."

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4392 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
The weird thing then is WFUDEAC's showing paid on the portal, rather than pending.

Thanks for the detailed reply, ilsy!

ilsy

• Stubble
« Reply #4393 on: September 15, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
The weird thing then is WFUDEAC's showing paid on the portal, rather than pending.

Thanks for the detailed reply, ilsy!

Correction, on the portal they appear as paid, but on their itemized commission list that I request from them because I just get lost with all my cards that are pending from previous months, it shows as pending.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4394 on: September 16, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »
I am planning to sign up for a whole round of as many no fee cards as I can to let them season for tradelines.   I also want to request a credit increase on my citi card (I inquired about moving some credit limit from one card to another, but citi said they don't do that and I have to request an increase for a specific card). 

I've applied for 2 cards simultaneously by having both applications open in separate tabs and submitting them within seconds of each other.  Will this same technique work for up to 4-5 different cards?  Should I request a credit increase on my citi before or after this round of applications, or is it not advisable to attempt both in such a short time period?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4395 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
I am planning to sign up for a whole round of as many no fee cards as I can to let them season for tradelines.   I also want to request a credit increase on my citi card (I inquired about moving some credit limit from one card to another, but citi said they don't do that and I have to request an increase for a specific card). 

I've applied for 2 cards simultaneously by having both applications open in separate tabs and submitting them within seconds of each other.  Will this same technique work for up to 4-5 different cards?  Should I request a credit increase on my citi before or after this round of applications, or is it not advisable to attempt both in such a short time period?

It's possible that will work.

About 10 years ago, there was a technique called "App-O-Rama", where people applied for many credit cards in a single day.  The theory was that the credit card companies couldn't see the apps in real time, and thus their application computers would evaluate each of the, say, 25 applications independently, being (un)blissfully unaware of the others.  It seemed as though their information about applications was only updated on a daily (nightly?) basis.  The AOR strategy tended to work really well.

Nowadays, it seems as though the information sharing is closer to real time, although it is plausible that it depends on the issuer - smaller issuers might not have done the IT and programming work.  The AOR strategy works less well now, although I still lean towards it for nostalgia as well as some practical reasons.

Even so, with an 830 credit score and a 30+ year credit history and no recent credit inquiries, I applied for 15 credit cards in a single evening (not nearly simultaneously, but I had the app links ready and just went through and did them sequentially).  I was approved for 10 and declined for 5.  This was about a year and a half ago - I was doing this sort of thing annually and just haven't gotten around to my ninth round this year due to other things going on in my life.

The current credit climate seems to be constricting, so regardless of your personal profile, you may be declined for that reason, or you may be given a card but with a low limit.

Based on all the above, and assuming you have a good credit score and good income, I think you could easily do 4 or 5 applications semi-simultaneously with good results.  Obviously YMMV.

As far as the CL increase goes, before or after both work.  It really depends on the relative value you place on the potentially higher CL with Citi vs. the new credit cards you want to apply for.  I used to do it after, because I was prioritizing things like sign up bonuses and, further back in time, 0% for a year offers.  Now, with piggybacking being a thing, the balance is probably shifted more towards cultivating existing lines.

I think I would probably look at my existing CL with Citi and it's age and compare those with the CL and income tiers at the piggybacking company you've got it registered with.  If I thought it was likely I could get it into the next income tier and it was already old enough to get whatever I considered to be decent commissions, I'd probably do the Citi CL first.

Whether doing both the apps and CL increase or just one or the other depends on your appetite for risk.  If you need pristine credit for a new home or car or a job application, or you're nervous, then hold off.  If you're a "gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet" kind of person, then consider both.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4396 on: September 16, 2020, 12:12:36 PM »
Credit score is 825-830 according to credit karma.  I've been denied a capital one card for no discernable reason.  Those fuckers spam me with offers constantly, yet denied both me and my wife despite us being on paper, and in practice, the most credit worthy people possible.  The fact that they denied me for seemingly no reason when I didn't file any other applications or do anything related to my credit before that leads me to believe MMMV regardless of multiple applications. 

No need for pristine credit for anything in the near future.  Practically debt free (including mortgage), making $90k+/yr, and access to $100k in the event of an emergency like buying a new car.

My citi card is at a credit limit of $9,500.  The last time I requested an increase they arbitrarily bumped me to $9,500, but the card was selling more spots with the new company than my higher limit cards, so I left it at that despite the lower payout.   But I'd still like to increase it to the higher tiers, especially now that it's aging (just over 5 years old). 

I am in the process of pulling my cards from the new company and moving to the old company, and I currently have a couple AU on the citi card, so I won't be adding a new AU to that for another couple months anyway, so the limit increase can likely wait until after this round of cards. 

I don't really care about sign up bonuses or getting the best rewards, my goal is just to get more accounts that I can eventually sell tradelines on.  Based on what the old company is accepting I was planning to do the simultaneous app-o-rama for capital one, PNC, U.S. Bank, TD Bank, and BoA since I don't have any cards from those issuers. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4397 on: September 16, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
Sounds to me like you're thinking about it in a very reasonable manner.

I forgot to mention before that most of the big issuers have all sorts of rules about how many new cards of what type and in what time frame that can trip people up.  I don't know what the rules are offhand, but there are plenty of websites out there that have that sort of information.  Of course, the issuers change these rules over time and some of what is reported on those websites are messy data points, but if you can find one that is trustworthy the information can help tilt the odds somewhat more in your favor (compared to not doing this kind of research).

Issuers sometimes also have particular preferences.  For example, I *think* Wells Fargo wants you to have a checking and/or savings account with them and doing so will increase your chances of getting a WF CC.  I don't remember for sure, but I think Cap One may like to see higher utilization, so ironically if you had low utilization when you applied for the Cap One card that may have been a strike against you.

Your last paragraph hints at a complication for those of us in similar circumstances.  If you're already selling AUs on CCs from an issuer, and you apply for new card(s) from that same issuer, they will frequently transfer some of your limits from your high CL card in order to issue you the new card(s).  This is problematic, because the AUs you already have on the high CL card won't receive the benefit that the TL company sold them and for which they paid you a commission.  Other than not applying for new cards from issuers with cards on which you have existing AU sales, I don't know how to avoid this situation.  This is another thing that's kept me from doing another app spree, as I have cards with Old Company from four or five of the main issuers.

Overall, it has seemed to me that high income and high usage are two things that result in cards with high limits.  Having other cards from other issuers with high limits also seems to help, but that can obviously be a chicken/egg issue.  Requesting limit increases regularly and frequently has also seemed to work in the past, but I don't know how well doing that works these days.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:42:05 PM by secondcor521 »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4398 on: September 16, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
I had a BoA account that was shut down due to tradelines earlier this year.  I don't have any accounts with any of the others I listed.  I was thinking of adding a second discover card since I now know I can have 2 account with them. 

I don't need pristine credit for anything in particular, but will it affect my tradeline sales?  I assume applying for 6 cards will be 6 hard inquiries, and each will lower my score 5-10 points, so potentially a 30-60 point drop bringing me to around 770-800.  Is my understanding of that correct? And does my credit score have an impact on raising the score of the AU, or does it strictly come from the perfect track record of the individual account?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4399 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:34 PM »
I had a BoA account that was shut down due to tradelines earlier this year.  I don't have any accounts with any of the others I listed.  I was thinking of adding a second discover card since I now know I can have 2 account with them. 

I don't need pristine credit for anything in particular, but will it affect my tradeline sales?  I assume applying for 6 cards will be 6 hard inquiries, and each will lower my score 5-10 points, so potentially a 30-60 point drop bringing me to around 770-800.  Is my understanding of that correct? And does my credit score have an impact on raising the score of the AU, or does it strictly come from the perfect track record of the individual account?

No, it won't affect tradeline sales.

For me hard inquiries only drop my score 2-5 points each.

Your credit score doesn't have any impact on raising the AU's score.  It strictly comes from the individual account, which is the only thing that is shared over from your account to theirs.  So the credit limit, payment history, age of account, and current balance are what matter.