Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906616 times)

beekayworld

• Stubble
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #4300 on: August 28, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »

Last time I had a city add, months ago, I called to try and add the SSN and they told me that wasn't possible after I had been on hold for ever.

I had this happen when I added an AU online and then called in to add SSN, just as you did. Now I only call and give the CSR all of the user info, including SSN, and it posts fine.  When I call in, the CSR goes down the list of info and asks for the SSN.
Hold times are way down now, so I would suggest just calling in the add, eliminating the step where you begin the add online.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #4301 on: August 28, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
Another question about Synchrony (which I realize is likely to be fairly uncommon in credit portfolios here vs. some of the bigger issuers, ah well).

First, regarding my earlier question, seeing that one of my cards from them is a VISA and one a MC, I'm wondering if anyone guesses I might be safer from any blowback if my tradeliner goes south because different networks? I go to different websites to manage them so they could be mostly unrelated.

Turns out that they each have different numbers of allowed AUs, too.

However, they both require calling to remove AUs (after what looks like easy online adds).

My question is, can the reps see all of your AUs at once when you call? Because the number allowed is kind of ridic, and I can't imagine that it wouldn't look weird to have so many at once.

Yes, I know I can limit the number. I'd rather let it ride if it's OK by OC.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4302 on: August 28, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »
Another question about Synchrony (which I realize is likely to be fairly uncommon in credit portfolios here vs. some of the bigger issuers, ah well).

[1] First, regarding my earlier question, seeing that one of my cards from them is a VISA and one a MC, I'm wondering if anyone guesses I might be safer from any blowback if my tradeliner goes south because different networks? I go to different websites to manage them so they could be mostly unrelated.

However, they both require calling to remove AUs (after what looks like easy online adds).

[2] My question is, can the reps see all of your AUs at once when you call? Because the number allowed is kind of ridic, and I can't imagine that it wouldn't look weird to have so many at once.

1.  I highly doubt it.  Risk is usually by the issuer (Chase, Citi, Discover, etc.), not by credit card backend processing network.  It sort of sounds like you might actually have cards by two different issuers.  I've only had one Synchrony Bank card, and it was just to get a decent discount on some car tires several years ago.

2.  Probably, but I've always thought that the frontline CSRs doing the adds and removes don't look at that and don't care.  There's another group of folks at each bank who are looking at risky behavior, and if they catch you then your card is probably toast.  I've always wanted to see more data points from people who have had cards shut down for this to try to figure out what triggers closure and what doesn't, but it can also just make sense to rely on the TL companies judgment.  They have lots of data points, and receive new ones constantly, and although they want to make sales, they also don't want to push too hard as shutdowns that affect their AUs are bad for their business.

How many slots to allow is always up to you.  Personally I've always gone with the TL company's recommendations.  I've been piggybacking regularly for three years or so and have had two cards shutdown out of six total cards.  I think more AUs on at any given time is one of the clear risk factors, so you'd want to take that into consideration.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:26:10 PM by secondcor521 »

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #4303 on: August 28, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »

[1] First, regarding my earlier question, seeing that one of my cards from them is a VISA and one a MC, I'm wondering if anyone guesses I might be safer from any blowback if my tradeliner goes south because different networks? I go to different websites to manage them so they could be mostly unrelated.

1.  I highly doubt it.  Risk is usually by the issuer (Chase, Citi, Discover, etc.), not by credit card backend processing network.  It sort of sounds like you might actually have cards by two different issuers.  I've only had one Synchrony Bank card, and it was just to get a decent discount on some car tires several years ago.

Are you saying you doubt I'll be safe from shutdown on both if I use just the one?

I wasn't implying that I thought it was per network, but rather that because the networks are different, these cards can't "see" each other at all and therefore the right hand won't know what the left is doing.

It does sound like the issuers are different, but they are both Synchrony. The co-brands are different though. Eh, it will probably just be a mystery until it isn't!

[2] My question is, can the reps see all of your AUs at once when you call? Because the number allowed is kind of ridic, and I can't imagine that it wouldn't look weird to have so many at once.

2.  Probably, but I've always thought that the frontline CSRs doing the adds and removes don't look at that and don't care.

How many slots to allow is always up to you.  Personally I've always gone with the TL company's recommendations.

Yes, that's all what I'm weighing. I'm planning to listen to the company but just wanted some experienced insight on how things face the CSRs. I hope I can't provide you with data points on triggering shutdown, haha. But que sera, sera. It's not like I can't live without this one, so.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:50:01 PM by Rusted Rose »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4304 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
I'm not sure if you just use one what the consequences for the other will be.

Chase is well known for shutting down all credit cards, and sometimes all accounts.  I had two USBank accounts shut down, but I was adding AUs on both.  My USBank checking account got reviewed but they left it open.

If it's from two different issuers, then consequences usually don't transfer.  But again, hard to tell without seeing the cards, and I would not recommend posting images of your card here.

I think the best advice is what arebelspy says in the original post - or at least I'm pretty sure it's there - don't use any CCs for piggybacking that you're not OK with getting shut down.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #4305 on: August 28, 2020, 05:54:15 PM »
I'm not sure if you just use one what the consequences for the other will be.

Chase is well known for shutting down all credit cards, and sometimes all accounts.  I had two USBank accounts shut down, but I was adding AUs on both.  My USBank checking account got reviewed but they left it open.

If it's from two different issuers, then consequences usually don't transfer.  But again, hard to tell without seeing the cards, and I would not recommend posting images of your card here.

I think the best advice is what arebelspy says in the original post - or at least I'm pretty sure it's there - don't use any CCs for piggybacking that you're not OK with getting shut down.

I have read the thread (yes, the whole thing) and know about Chase and USBank. I will not use my Chases and don't have USBank, so no worries there. And because of certain issuers shutting down all lines, like BOA (don't have that either), I thought I'd inquire just in case anyone had a data point on this particular bank.

No, not 2 different issuers, as I noted (err ... well different co-brands. This is complicated). Of course I would never post images, even with things redacted. I'm clear on who has issued these in any case.

But many of my other issuers have all cards accessible through the same portal. Obviously every issuer doesn't do things the same way. But I surmise largely, again, because VISA vs. MC in this case, they don't do crosstalk. I've just never had to consider that before. This one isn't a card I use a whole lot, therefore my interest in tossing it into the ring.

Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:02:58 PM by Rusted Rose »

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #4306 on: August 28, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »
I've been getting a ton of adds recently with the New Company. I was lazy and didn't switch to the old company and boom, getting close to maxing out the three cards I have with them almost all in a spare of 1-2 months (2x discover cards and one BoA), including some adds that required an urgent off cycle credit report which was something new for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4307 on: August 30, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »
I have been with the New Company for about 2 years now, but I recently started with the Old Company for a few of my newly seasoned cards.

Quote from Old Company regards Citi: "Citibank must be added by phone only using the name and social, it will not post if added online. After you add the AU, check your online account the next day to make sure they are on your AU list, and to be safe check it again the day before your statement date. Citibank has dropped AUs from accounts in the past so it's always good to check your account after you add them."

With the New Company, I have always done my Citi adds online because I hate calling in.  So do you guys actually call in to add users when it comes to Citi? 

FYI, looking back at my entire 2 year history with the New Company, I have had 58 orders in total.  Only 2 of those orders have not posted, with both of them being from Citi (I'm 6 out of 8 for Citi posting).  it makes me wonder if I should be calling in instead.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4308 on: August 30, 2020, 02:56:12 PM »
I have been with the New Company for about 2 years now, but I recently started with the Old Company for a few of my newly seasoned cards.

Quote from Old Company regards Citi: "Citibank must be added by phone only using the name and social, it will not post if added online. After you add the AU, check your online account the next day to make sure they are on your AU list, and to be safe check it again the day before your statement date. Citibank has dropped AUs from accounts in the past so it's always good to check your account after you add them."

With the New Company, I have always done my Citi adds online because I hate calling in.  So do you guys actually call in to add users when it comes to Citi? 

FYI, looking back at my entire 2 year history with the New Company, I have had 58 orders in total.  Only 2 of those orders have not posted, with both of them being from Citi (I'm 6 out of 8 for Citi posting).  it makes me wonder if I should be calling in instead.

Yes, you have to call in Citi adds. It's really annoying, but I have forgotten to do this a couple times. Every time I have added online, they don't post and I don't get paid.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4309 on: August 30, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »
I have a number of barclay cards with old company.  I added 2 more when they opened up a while back.  They asked me if I wanted more than 2 spots each.  I didn't give it a second thought at the time.  I always have done 2 per and have been happy with the sales.  I am now wondering if I should increase this knowing that shutdown risk is pretty low with BC and these sell well.  Maybe 3 spots per card..

Anyone have any further thoughts or opinions on this?  Thanks for any input!

Is there a huge difference for you based on whether you get the income from selling three spots vs two?

Given that each Barclays card has a life time maximum number of users you can add, I'd operate under the assumption that given enough time, you will make those sales and max out the card. So if I could spread out the taxable income longer, and lower the risk of shutdown, I would. Your calculus could be different.

Maybe just to churn through the card's max AUs and then replace the card with a new one? But might as well let the new one age while that's happening, unless they just won't issue you more without closing some.

Thanks @CanuckExpat  and @arebelspy !  I appreciate the comments. 

I'm going to stick with the 2 spots per card.  This discussion does remind me that I need to open another BC card when my inquiries go down a bit.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4310 on: August 31, 2020, 04:41:12 AM »

I've noticed Citi is more likely to not post verse other cars issuers even adding over the phone.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #4311 on: August 31, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »

I've noticed Citi is more likely to not post verse other cars issuers even adding over the phone.

this has been my experience as well. Even if you do everything correct with Citi, there is a fair chance it will not post. I am currently on the phone with Citi as I type this, trying to add the SSNs, they have transferred me back and forth between different departments, its been 30 minutes and counting.

Next time, i am for sure going to just add them over the phone entirely, rather than adding online, then calling in the social. The reps seem to be thrown for a loop when someone calls in to add just the social.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #4312 on: August 31, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
That's exactly my experience with Citi.

If I call in the entire add (all of the info, without starting the process online), the CSR just goes down the list: Name, date of birth, social security number..." .

Whereas if I start the add online and then just call in to add the SSN it would be confusing to the CSR. I'd get comments like "the authorized user is already added" or "You don't need the SSN" or " I can't add the SSN" or they might finally say "Yes, I did it" but the AU didn't post so I had my doubts.

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4313 on: August 31, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
That's exactly my experience with Citi.

If I call in the entire add (all of the info, without starting the process online), the CSR just goes down the list: Name, date of birth, social security number..." .

Whereas if I start the add online and then just call in to add the SSN it would be confusing to the CSR. I'd get comments like "the authorized user is already added" or "You don't need the SSN" or " I can't add the SSN" or they might finally say "Yes, I did it" but the AU didn't post so I had my doubts.

This is good to know.  I will plan on doing it this way from now on.  For adding AU's over the phone, is that available 24/7 do you know?

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4314 on: September 01, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »
I've been getting a ton of adds recently with the New Company. I was lazy and didn't switch to the old company and boom, getting close to maxing out the three cards I have with them almost all in a spare of 1-2 months (2x discover cards and one BoA), including some adds that required an urgent off cycle credit report which was something new for me.

I had a similar experience a few months ago.  The card got 4 adds in 2 months, with only 1 ever prior to that.  However I believe the reason was, the card was 10-11 months old.  By adding at that moment the new company only had to pay me the lower rate.  But the AU would be on there for about 3 months and get a posting that looks like at least a 1 year.  The new company was likely charging for the higher level than what I was getting paid.

My guess is your cards are at that point as well?

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4315 on: September 01, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
While working with some cards I noticed that US Bank is administered by Elan Financial.  I also have a Fidelity card that is administered by Elan Financial.  From prior reading in this forum I believe that when US Bank shuts a card down they shut down all US Bank cards.

I am now curious if a shut down of a US Bank card would get my Fidelity card shut down as well?

Just a note, I'm OK if this happens, just trying to learn more.  Even if all my TL cards got shut down I have 2 more cards that don't qualify for TLs.

Thanks in advance
John

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4316 on: September 01, 2020, 02:50:30 AM »
While working with some cards I noticed that US Bank is administered by Elan Financial.  I also have a Fidelity card that is administered by Elan Financial.  From prior reading in this forum I believe that when US Bank shuts a card down they shut down all US Bank cards.

I am now curious if a shut down of a US Bank card would get my Fidelity card shut down as well?

Just a note, I'm OK if this happens, just trying to learn more.  Even if all my TL cards got shut down I have 2 more cards that don't qualify for TLs.

Thanks in advance
John

From some quick Googling, checking my US Bank credit cards (actually not mine, I shredded mine when they closed my accounts, but I still have some AU cards on hand until they can be marked removed), and being a former US Bank employee, it seems that US Bank owns Elan Financial Services, which basically does outsourced credit card programs for other companies, like Fidelity.  I believe US Bank also issues and services their own credit cards.

So although it's possible that the two operations talk to each other, I think it is more likely that they are independent operations and that USBank credit card folks wouldn't talk to Elan credit card folks.  But YMMV obviously.

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #4317 on: September 01, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »

I had a similar experience a few months ago.  The card got 4 adds in 2 months, with only 1 ever prior to that.  However I believe the reason was, the card was 10-11 months old.  By adding at that moment the new company only had to pay me the lower rate.  But the AU would be on there for about 3 months and get a posting that looks like at least a 1 year.  The new company was likely charging for the higher level than what I was getting paid.

My guess is your cards are at that point as well?
No, these are all pretty old cards. They even had me do off cycle report request so they could max out the cards. I'm thinking everyone was leaving the new company for the old and they don't have enough cards for their demand???

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4318 on: September 01, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »
No, these are all pretty old cards. They even had me do off cycle report request so they could max out the cards. I'm thinking everyone was leaving the new company for the old and they don't have enough cards for their demand???

As of a week ago (and currently, I assume, but that was my last update), New Company is only accepting higher limit cards with 10 years of age, so I don't think that is the case.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4319 on: September 01, 2020, 10:46:43 PM »
I've had 3 adds with the new company in the last couple months. Prior to that I only get about 1 per year.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4320 on: September 02, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »
Been forgetting to ask the group about this...

Does anyone know of other good cards from "Elan"?  Like the other poster a couple of messages back, I only have the Fidelity card with them.  It is easy for AU's and posts reliably.  I would like to start seasoning another one but have not been able to find much... (Most of my searches show that Elan is good at advertising their card services to banks and CU's).

thanks for any pointers!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4321 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:15 PM »

Does anyone know of other good cards from "Elan"?  Like the other poster a couple of messages back, I only have the Fidelity card with them.  It is easy for AU's and posts reliably.  I would like to start seasoning another one but have not been able to find much... (Most of my searches show that Elan is good at advertising their card services to banks and CU's).

thanks for any pointers!

You mean besides all the US Bank cards?

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4322 on: September 03, 2020, 05:33:06 AM »
Same crap different year.  02/25/2020 order still not paid.  They are batting 100% on non-payment so far since I signed up.  I like how they send you a new order and it says to respond immediately.  Them paying you the same respect to you.... not so much.

I guess I'll have to send an email again.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4323 on: September 03, 2020, 05:52:40 AM »
Same crap different year.  02/25/2020 order still not paid.  They are batting 100% on non-payment so far since I signed up.  I like how they send you a new order and it says to respond immediately.  Them paying you the same respect to you.... not so much.

I guess I'll have to send an email again.
Unfortunately you'll have to get used to it )-:

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4324 on: September 03, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »
The payment issues are so wide spread and have been happening for so long that I can't believe it's not intentional at this point.  You've mastered this business, all except being able to pay people on time? GTFO with that nonsense. 

I've had issues with the new company in the past, but I don't think I've reconciled any of my payments for 2020 yet (it's been a wild year and I've really not been paying close attention to my finances).  I suspect when I go to reconcile everything I'll be back to also bitch about delayed payments.   

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4325 on: September 03, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
The payment issues are so wide spread and have been happening for so long that I can't believe it's not intentional at this point.  You've mastered this business, all except being able to pay people on time? GTFO with that nonsense. 

Agree.  Just seeing if you miss one equals more money for them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4326 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
Yeah, it's really awful.

At this point, I definitely recommend switching cards to the old company and away from new company. (Now is the time, as enrollment is open to any cards 6+ months of age, and it only fully opens every 12 to 14 months, in the past few years.)

There isn't any excuse.

As far as I know, everyone always has gotten paid, but, as everyone above says, only after repeatedly reaching out. That should not be the case.

If you haven't gotten paid, contact them. If they don't reply, contact me and I will reach out. Everyone should get paid.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4327 on: September 03, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »

Agree.  Just seeing if you miss one equals more money for them.

That and holding onto money longer.  Some companies also play this game, change their terms from 30 days to 90 days to pay vendors.  They still pay the same amount in the end, but now they get to hold onto every dollar for an additional 60 days and make a small profit from holding it. 

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4328 on: September 03, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

thanks for any pointers!

You mean besides all the US Bank cards?

Yes, I am interested in the Elan cards, not usbank.  I have read here and elsewhere that US bank is heavy-handed in shut downs.

Someone pointed out that these 2 entities are run separately.

So again looking for cards "issued by elan".  I assume more than just the Fidelity card exists but maybe not or this is not known.

thanks for any help, everyone.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4329 on: September 03, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
Ent credit union offers an Elan card.
https://www.ent.com/personal/loans/credit-cards/
I had one once but it got shut down due to suspicious authorized user activity.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4330 on: September 03, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »

Is it available to everyone?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4331 on: September 03, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »

Is it available to everyone?

You have to join the credit union, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Nate79

• Stubble
« Reply #4332 on: September 03, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »
Can someone post the list of cards taken by the old company again?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4333 on: September 03, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »

Bank of America, Barclays, BBVA, Capital One, Chase, Citibank, Discover, Elan/Fidelity, NFCU, PNC, Synch Bank (Care Credit), TD Bank, US Bank, and USAA.

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4334 on: September 03, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »

thanks for any pointers!

Poked around a little and I believe Berkshire Bank, Webster Bank, BMW World Mastercard, Ent Credit Union, and Fidelity are administered by Elan.  An Elan site said they service 1,400 institutions, probably not all for credit cards though.  But my impression is there are a lot of cards out there from them.  Didn't find one site detailing them all, pieced together the list from review comments and then verified it by seeing if I could find a credit application site, there real.

I'm not certain about the prior post that mentioned US Bank being run separately from Fidelity.  I think that was more of an opinion based on some searching.  It would be nice to have a data point on this one.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4335 on: September 04, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
Thanks @Riker626 !

Based on @solon 's post about ENT, I started hunting around for "Elan program awards".  Found a bunch of them but some did not pan out - mostly could not find the actual CC offered.

However, I found a winner.  Valley Bank.  Seems to be based in NJ.  I applied for one of their cards yesterday and it was approved. 

https://www.valley.com/personal/banking/credit-cards

I wasn't sure if this would work out since I am nowhere near NJ.  Looks like the bank nor elan care.  Must be in the US, of course.

Happy hunting yall!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Douggyfr3sh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4336 on: September 04, 2020, 11:29:44 AM »
Very fascinated by this topic and interested.

I only have one card (my personal Chase Sapphire), which I will never use for trade lines.  I would like to start applying for a BUNCH more so that I can potentially do this in a few years.

I have been trying to search for information on how many cards I can apply for in a short period (1 day - 1 month), but have had a hard time finding any decent information.  Anyone able to shed light on that?

My personal situation:
-I have good credit (760-770 score)
-My credit utilization has been hovering between 10-20%, but I raised my credit line today, so now it should mostly stay under 10%
-My debt is: student loans, a mortgage, and a vehicle payment (6k balance on the vehicle)

I would like to get set up with 5+ cards that I basically never use and just let them age so that I can do tradelines later.  A couple other questions I have:

-Can I get Credit Card X with 0 annual fee and just never use it ever and let it age and then do this?  Seems like card issuers might not love that...?
-If No, how often do I have to use Card X if my only intention is to age it so that I can do this?
-I have concerns about my credit score being dinged if I go out and apply for a bunch of cards.  I would like to invest in a SFH rental property in the next year, so keeping a high score is important.

Thanks so much for this info!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:35:42 AM by Douggyfr3sh »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4337 on: September 04, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »

I only have one card (my personal Chase Sapphire), which I will never use for trade lines.  I would like to start applying for a BUNCH more so that I can potentially do this in a few years.

I have been trying to search for information on how many cards I can apply for in a short period (1 day - 1 month), but have had a hard time finding any decent information.  Anyone able to shed light on that?

My personal situation:
-My credit utilization has been hovering between 10-20%, but I raised my credit line today, so now it should mostly stay under 10%
-My debt is: student loans, a mortgage, and a vehicle payment (6k balance on the vehicle)

I would like to get set up with 5+ cards that I basically never use and just let them age so that I can do tradelines later.  A couple other questions I have:

-Can I get Credit Card X with 0 annual fee and just never use it ever and let it age and then do this?  Seems like card issuers might not love that...?
-If No, how often do I have to use Card X if my only intention is to age it so that I can do this?
-I have concerns about my credit score being dinged if I go out and apply for a bunch of cards.  I would like to invest in a SFH rental property in the next year, so keeping a high score is important.

My credit is older, deeper, and broader than yours, but I applied for I think 14 cards about a year ago and got 10.  It used to be that if you applied all in one day, the issuers would not see your simultaneous applications and you could get more that way.  However, technology has advanced and it's more instant, so unless you actually have 20 browser windows open with the apps all teed up and can click "apply" within seconds, this strategy doesn't work.

If you're willing to get declined, you can just keep applying until you get tired of getting rejected.  Credit pulls cost you a few to half a dozen points each, and they dissipate over time.  Or be more conservative and apply for fewer.

As to your other questions:

1.  Yes, you can just get 0 annual fee cards and age them for piggybacking.  Card issuers want you to use the card, and if all you use it for is piggybacking then you may eventually get caught and shut down, but you may also get to do it for several years on each card.

2.  Personally I think using a card once every six months or so will keep them from shutting the card due to inactivity.  There is always the risk of them shutting you down for piggybacking, of course.

3.  As far as the rental and your credit score, you can either get cards aging now by going on an app spree, and hope that your credit recovers before you buy the rental, or you can do the rental first and then do  the app spree after closing.  Pretty much up to you, but I would talk with lenders to see how high my score needed to be (usually there are cutoffs) to get the loan I wanted, and then be conservative.

HTH, GL.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
« Reply #4338 on: September 04, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »

My personal situation:

Yeah, if you want to get into this game you should apply for more cards ASAP so they can start seasoning. But it could definitely affect your credit score in the short run.

In the short run you MIGHT see a drop in credit score because of the hard pull inquiries you'll get when applying for cards, and also because all these new cards will lower your average age of credit. Both of these factors will resolve themselves over time. But these factors may be counteracted somewhat by the fact that your utilization ratio will drop way down. Long term, your credit score will actually go up.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably wait until you complete your SFH purchase. Doesn't seem to be worth risking your rate on a loan for this gig.

dantheman46

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4339 on: September 04, 2020, 05:08:52 PM »

Bank of America, Barclays, BBVA, Capital One, Chase, Citibank, Discover, Elan/Fidelity, NFCU, PNC, Synch Bank (Care Credit), TD Bank, US Bank, and USAA.

I was not able to add an USAA card within the last couple of weeks. Apparently there are issues with USAA allowing authorized users who are not related to the primary cardholder.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4340 on: September 04, 2020, 08:14:51 PM »

I was not able to add an USAA card within the last couple of weeks. Apparently there are issues with USAA allowing authorized users who are not related to the primary cardholder.

It's possible to do that, but USAA doesn't like it and will discourage the practice if they catch you.

Also, USAA's computer systems will throw weird errors if you try to add a third AU at any given time.  The USAA CSRs usually are unfamiliar with this and will not really know how to proceed.  My solution was to never have more than 2 AUs on my USAA CCs.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4341 on: September 05, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

I've had issues with the new company in the past, but I don't think I've reconciled any of my payments for 2020 yet (it's been a wild year and I've really not been paying close attention to my finances).  I suspect when I go to reconcile everything I'll be back to also bitch about delayed payments.

hooooo boy, I should have been more on top of paying attention to payments coming in (or not coming in rather).  Have they (new company) switched book keeping methods?  Previously the payments would show up in my bank account as something like "ACH Deposit COMPANY NAME TYPE: QUICKBOOKS CO: COMPANY NAME", but I haven't received a deposit since July 2019 even though I've had a lot of sales.  Currently seeing a $1,000 discrepancy between my orders and deposits to my checking account.  Some of that is recent stuff that shouldn't have posted, but at least half of it is long over due.

Paging @arebelspy to get to the bottom of this mystery. 

ETA: I've emailed my spreadsheet directly to arebelspy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:58:12 PM by frugalnacho »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4342 on: September 05, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »

hooooo boy, I should have been more on top of paying attention to payments coming in (or not coming in rather).  Have they (new company) switched book keeping methods?  Previously the payments would show up in my bank account as something like "ACH Deposit COMPANY NAME TYPE: QUICKBOOKS CO: COMPANY NAME", but I haven't received a deposit since July 2019 even though I've had a lot of sales.  Currently seeing a $1,000 discrepancy between my orders and deposits to my checking account.  Some of that is recent stuff that shouldn't have posted, but at least have of it is long over due.

I don't know if they switched, but they did owe me in that range when I left.  I didn't like being that much of a creditor, and I couldn't come up with any good answer for why they were paying late.  And yes, being months overdue was not uncommon in my experience.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #4343 on: September 05, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »

hooooo boy, I should have been more on top of paying attention to payments coming in (or not coming in rather).  Have they (new company) switched book keeping methods?  Previously the payments would show up in my bank account as something like "ACH Deposit COMPANY NAME TYPE: QUICKBOOKS CO: COMPANY NAME", but I haven't received a deposit since July 2019 even though I've had a lot of sales.  Currently seeing a $1,000 discrepancy between my orders and deposits to my checking account.  Some of that is recent stuff that shouldn't have posted, but at least half of it is long over due.

I was last paid in July and it was listed in Mint as "NEW COMPANY INC QUICKBOOKS PPD ID: 123456789"

Needed arebelspy to get me that payment (about $700 was owed at the time)

I'm caught up for now but expect another $850 by 12/31. I am not sure how much pressure to apply but I'd like to be current by EOY so as to be doing my taxes (and contributions) correctly. I expect another couple of hundred early next year.

I find you really, really need to track every sale on a spreadsheet. I put what card got a slot sold, the date, the name, the order #, the date I did the addition, the date I did the removal, how much I should get paid, what day I expect to be paid, and then if I did get paid. That way I can see how much is past due.

It sucks that they're absolutely terrible at paying out. But it is what it is. The owner guy never responds to emails. The woman who is the contact will reply but won't deal with bugging the owner guy about payments. Only arebelspy does anything useful.

Honestly I'd be fine letting the amount I'm owed grow and then get a payout only when it hits a large enough number, say every six months. It just sucks it's so hard to get them to do their job.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4344 on: September 06, 2020, 07:05:48 AM »

It's possible to do that, but USAA doesn't like it and will discourage the practice if they catch you.

Also, USAA's computer systems will throw weird errors if you try to add a third AU at any given time.  The USAA CSRs usually are unfamiliar with this and will not really know how to proceed.  My solution was to never have more than 2 AUs on my USAA CCs.
My USAA is still going strong after 3 years. I absolutely keep it to no more than 2 AUs at a time. Even though it's my highest payout card, I cringe a bit when I get an AU sale because of the hassle of adding the AU. They truly need an automated way of adding AUs.   

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4345 on: September 06, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »
I don't know if they switched, but they did owe me in that range when I left.  I didn't like being that much of a creditor, and I couldn't come up with any good answer for why they were paying late.  And yes, being months overdue was not uncommon in my experience.

I would suggest everyone consider switching to avoid these payment issues.  I switched a year or so ago and it has been great.  Initially, I had cards with both old & new companies.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
« Reply #4346 on: September 06, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
For something that is supposed to be an easy and low effort side gig, following up with late and missing payments and getting frustrated at a simple lack of professionalism from new company was not worth it. Switched to a different TL company altogether and my only regret was that I didn’t do it sooner.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4347 on: September 06, 2020, 04:48:41 PM »
Yeah, it went beyond frustrating to ridiculous. I've recommended people switch cards to Old Company for awhile for any cards they have that qualify (and now all cards, during this open enrollment period for any cards 6+ months of age). Anyone who still hasn't been paid, reach out to new company, and then to me if it is a problem.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4348 on: September 06, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »
@arebelspy Do you know how long the enrollment period will be this time around?  I have another card to enroll that just hit 2 years....  Thanks for any info!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4349 on: September 06, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
@arebelspy Do you know how long the enrollment period will be this time around?  I have another card to enroll that just hit 2 years....  Thanks for any info!

They opened enrollment on the 15th of Aug, had about half the cards they wanted to add by the 28th of Aug. Cards maybe slowed coming in though so IDK? Could be a week, could be a month.

I'd enroll anything 6+ months now, even if you wait for it to hit a certain age (2+ years or whatever) to make it "live."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!