Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906748 times)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
AUs can NOT make changes on a card.  But apparently, they can dispute a card on their credit report and ask the credit agency to remove this, stating that it isn't their card.  This is what just happened to me.  So then, the CC gets the report from the credit agency and closes the card OR re-issues the card.  I just had a US Bank re-issue.  The good news.....I just got the new card and my AU (not the one who reported with the credit agency) is still on it.

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am having some troubles with the 'new' company.  I had 3 add requests in 2 months to my Capital One card, added them all within 1 day of the requests, and got cards for them all.  The 'new' company then asked me to add a 4th in that same 2 month period.  I had researched this and believe the safe limit for Capital One is 2-3 adds in 3 months (as far as I know).  So I emailed the 'new' company that same day and requested the 4th add request be removed.  Erica agreed but 2 weeks later removed the 3rd and 4th adds.  I have sent several emails detailing this and trying to get the 3rd added back on but I am not getting a positive response, just delay tactics.

I allso have 2 AU payments that are past due.  This accounts for: reporting 9 days after the due date and then 10 weeks after the report date.  1 card is over a month late and the other just a few days.  I have emailed Erica and Cliff but again I am getting delay tactics.

I have clearly detailed these problems to them but I am getting no where.  Is anyone having these problems?  What is the best way to deal with the 'new' company on this?  Is contacting the Better Business Bruere the correct resolution?

Thanks in advance
John

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
PM sent.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
I am having some troubles with the 'new' company.  I had 3 add requests in 2 months to my Capital One card, added them all within 1 day of the requests, and got cards for them all.  The 'new' company then asked me to add a 4th in that same 2 month period.  I had researched this and believe the safe limit for Capital One is 2-3 adds in 3 months (as far as I know).  So I emailed the 'new' company that same day and requested the 4th add request be removed.  Erica agreed but 2 weeks later removed the 3rd and 4th adds.  I have sent several emails detailing this and trying to get the 3rd added back on but I am not getting a positive response, just delay tactics.

I allso have 2 AU payments that are past due.  This accounts for: reporting 9 days after the due date and then 10 weeks after the report date.  1 card is over a month late and the other just a few days.  I have emailed Erica and Cliff but again I am getting delay tactics.

I have clearly detailed these problems to them but I am getting no where.  Is anyone having these problems?  What is the best way to deal with the 'new' company on this?  Is contacting the Better Business Bruere the correct resolution?

Thanks in advance
John

I can't speak for the adding too many AU's issue, but I can DEFINITELY relate on the late payments. Seems to be par for the course for the new company

Nate79

• Stubble
Usually 2 to 3 reminder emails to Cliff and they finally will pay up. I just assume they will be a few months late in payments so I don't get too upset about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
I had a weird experience with Citi today.
I added an AU online and got an error message "can't help you with that...call this number" or some such thing.
While reaching for my phone, I went back to my AU screen and it actually did have the AU on the card.

I decided not to call, because it shows the AU on the account now and I don't want to get unnecessary attention

But I am wondering if I should?

Last time I had a city add, months ago, I called to try and add the SSN and they told me that wasn't possible after I had been on hold for ever.
The AU posted anyways, but it's always a bit of a nail biter for me, as I had several not post a while ago.
I'd prefer not to call, but if anyone has any insight on what that error message could have triggered, please let me know.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
My first payment for the old company processed yesterday and already hit my bank account. $150 for four spots on two newer cards that I added back at the beginning of May. I'll remove the AUs in about a month and be ready for the next batch. I'll probably pause my Barclay's card as those slots will be worth $175 instead of $50 early next year.

I had an issue with one AU not posting, sent a quick email and it was resolved the next day on their end.

Overall very happy with them - though I had zero activity on my first card from December until May. As soon as I added a second one in late April all four slots on both filled up quickly.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Good to hear, @Michael in ABQ  !

I continue to have awesome results with old company as well.  They have their stuff down pat.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
I had a weird experience with Citi today.
I added an AU online and got an error message "can't help you with that...call this number" or some such thing.
While reaching for my phone, I went back to my AU screen and it actually did have the AU on the card.

I decided not to call, because it shows the AU on the account now and I don't want to get unnecessary attention

But I am wondering if I should?

Last time I had a city add, months ago, I called to try and add the SSN and they told me that wasn't possible after I had been on hold for ever.
The AU posted anyways, but it's always a bit of a nail biter for me, as I had several not post a while ago.
I'd prefer not to call, but if anyone has any insight on what that error message could have triggered, please let me know.
That's odd, I've never received that message. In fact I called yesterday to add the SS after adding the AU online and it took about 2 minutes. The CSR did voluntarily tell me adding the SS does it help it to post the AU's credit report, but it isn't necessary. Better safe than sorry.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
Old company is much better if you can actually get some cards enrolled with them. They actually pay you when they say they will pay you, imagine that.

I've resorted to using a different tradeline company for cards that I can't get enrolled with the old company. Just not worth the frustration of dealing with new company to actually get paid.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Yep, Old Company is top notch if you have cards that qualify. Basically zero problems, ever.

New Company struggles with customer service and on time payments. Not detail oriented, and no good processes for handling administrative tasks.

However, they do the entire AU process excellently, especially their process for verifying AUs, so it's something I begrudgingly put up with (while checking out other tradeline companies hoping to find another useful one). I haven't found any besides those two who properly vet AUs. Most don't want to spend the money and time it takes to do it right. Very shortsighted, IMO.

To my knowledge, everyone has always gotten paid from New Company, even if late. It's a trade off. I personally would rather wait a few months for payment than risk having a card shut down or participate in fraud or have the company fold (like BoostMyScore.net did a few months back). To each his own! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Yep, Old Company is top notch if you have cards that qualify. Basically zero problems, ever.

New Company struggles with customer service and on time payments. Not detail oriented, and no good processes for handling administrative tasks.

However, they do the entire AU process excellently, especially their process for verifying AUs, so it's something I begrudgingly put up with (while checking out other tradeline companies hoping to find another useful one). I haven't found any besides those two who properly vet AUs. Most don't want to spend the money and time it takes to do it right. Very shortsighted, IMO.

To my knowledge, everyone has always gotten paid from New Company, even if late. It's a trade off. I personally would rather wait a few months for payment than risk having a card shut down or participate in fraud or have the company fold (like BoostMyScore.net did a few months back). To each his own! :)

Could you tell us more about properly vetting AUs? What exactly do these two companies do? What are the markers they look for?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Sent email to New Company about payment and received it a couple days later. So they did respond a lot quicker than in the past.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've been with new company for about 3 years now, and I can attest that while their process is a little frustrating sometimes they have ALWAYS paid me what was owed. So, if you're willing to deal with having to send an email or 2 to get paid, they are great.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
Do you all "rest" your cards at all? I've heard here and there that adding and removing AUs too frequently might be flagged as suspicious behavior, so it might be good to give cards a break every once in a while.

But there doesn't seem to be any consensus whether this helps at all, or any general guidelines on how frequently to rest cards/ and for how long.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Do you all "rest" your cards at all? I've heard here and there that adding and removing AUs too frequently might be flagged as suspicious behavior, so it might be good to give cards a break every once in a while.

But there doesn't seem to be any consensus whether this helps at all, or any general guidelines on how frequently to rest cards/ and for how long.

I do not.  I personally think that there are three ways to get flagged for suspicious behavior:

1.  Add AUs which are synthetic identities or otherwise problematic.  I minimize this risk by using the two companies recommended by @arebelspy in this thread.

2.  Exhibit risky behavior when talking with customer service representatives, such as adding and removing AUs in a single phone call.  I minimize this risk by reading and following all of the AU companies' recommendations in these matters.

3.  Add and remove lots of AUs over time.  I believe that CC companies may periodically decide to run queries on their customer databases looking for people who have added and removed some threshold number of AUs on their accounts, maybe with special attention to those who don't share surnames with the CC holder.  So if my name is John Smith and I add my son Fred Smith who lives at my address as an AU, I'm probably just a normal person.  If my name is John Smith and I've added Fred Jones, Amanda Brady, Kevin Hicks, Jane Austen, and 22 more of my closest friends in the past year, I'm probably a piggybacker.  They may also focus their criteria on people who have more than a threshold number of AUs on their account at any point in time - most ordinary people do not have five AUs on their card at once.

This third risk is outlined in this thread and by the TL companies, and I accept this risk as a part of the deal.  I minimize its impact on me by having multiple credit cards and only piggybacking on cards and with CC companies that I am willing to have shut down at some point.

Resting credit cards probably helps only with the third risk, and while it's helping you avoid getting your CC shut down, you are also not making any sales.  I don't think there's any way to quantify the benefit.  But I think ARS has said and most people understand that each person needs to find their own comfort level with this and any other hack or game that exists.  We all get to roll the dice and take our chances.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

I do not.  I personally think that there are three ways to get flagged for suspicious behavior:

1.  Add AUs which are synthetic identities or otherwise problematic.  I minimize this risk by using the two companies recommended by @arebelspy in this thread.

2.  Exhibit risky behavior when talking with customer service representatives, such as adding and removing AUs in a single phone call.  I minimize this risk by reading and following all of the AU companies' recommendations in these matters.

3.  Add and remove lots of AUs over time.  I believe that CC companies may periodically decide to run queries on their customer databases looking for people who have added and removed some threshold number of AUs on their accounts, maybe with special attention to those who don't share surnames with the CC holder.  So if my name is John Smith and I add my son Fred Smith who lives at my address as an AU, I'm probably just a normal person.  If my name is John Smith and I've added Fred Jones, Amanda Brady, Kevin Hicks, Jane Austen, and 22 more of my closest friends in the past year, I'm probably a piggybacker.  They may also focus their criteria on people who have more than a threshold number of AUs on their account at any point in time - most ordinary people do not have five AUs on their card at once.

This third risk is outlined in this thread and by the TL companies, and I accept this risk as a part of the deal.  I minimize its impact on me by having multiple credit cards and only piggybacking on cards and with CC companies that I am willing to have shut down at some point.

Resting credit cards probably helps only with the third risk, and while it's helping you avoid getting your CC shut down, you are also not making any sales.  I don't think there's any way to quantify the benefit.  But I think ARS has said and most people understand that each person needs to find their own comfort level with this and any other hack or game that exists.  We all get to roll the dice and take our chances.

+1 This is my take as well.

Catica

• Bristles
What could cause AU not to post?  I added two AUs two days apart to the same card and the one added two days later already posted but the earlier one didn't.  Should I be concerned?  This is with the old company.

Thanks!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
What could cause AU not to post?  I added two AUs two days apart to the same card and the one added two days later already posted but the earlier one didn't.  Should I be concerned?  This is with the old company.

Thanks!

This happens from time to time.  I recently had one not post.  The old company said to check a day or 2 after adding to see that the AU was really added.  I don't, but it's the best practice.  I've only lost 2 AUs ever for not posting and I'm pretty sure the other one, I forgot to put any purchases on it.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Thanks!

Most likely scenarios, in no particular order:

1.  Some error in the process of adding the AU by you.  This would include:
  A.  Not typing or transferring the key AU information of name, address, SSN, and DOB.
  B.  Not completing the process with the CC company.  Some CC companies now have an authentication at the end of the process, which I sometimes almost forget to do.
  C.  Failing to put a purchase on the card before the closing date.
  D.  Failing to add the user before the closing date.
  E.  Accidentally adding them to the wrong card, I suppose.
2.  Some error in adding the AU by the CC company.  If you called in:
  A.  They may have failed to enter the key AU information correctly, or have failed to complete the process on their end somehow.
  B.  They may have suspected fraud.  Normally this would result in the card being locked and the AU added anyway, but it's possible if the CSR thought fraud and was highly energetic that they would refuse to add the AU and possibly lock the card.  Alas, this explanation would make more sense if it were the second AU that you added failed.

I'd be concerned only to the extent that I'd have lost that commission and somewhat damaged the TL company's reputation and somewhat damaged the TL company's opinion of me, which might affect their decision to send commissions my way in the future.  And if it's consistently happening, I'd carefully go over my practices and make sure I was doing everything correctly.

But, if it's just a one-off, which is the most likely scenario, the TL companies say it happens from time to time without rhyme or reason, and other than a lost commission and slight inconvenience to the TL company to reassign that AU to someone else I wouldn't worry about it.

chuckster

• Stubble
Just had my first two not post, both in the last couple of months after going a few years without problems. I think it was because I added them online and did not call in, and could not add the SSN online. Company said it was OK to do it this way back when the customer service phone line waits were hours due to coronavirus. But now that things have settled and customer service waits are back to normal, I'm back to calling in with a SSN if there's no place for it online and haven't had problems. They did show up on my CC account, I got the card in the mail, activated it, and made purchases on the card, but, no luck without that SSN apparently.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
How many AU can you have on a card simultaneously?  I have a citi with 2 slots in the portal that sell pretty regularly.  My wife is also an AU on the and is listed as such in the portal.  I already have the 2 slots filled, for a total of 3 current AU, and I just got a request to add another.  Did they forget to tell me to remove the AU that has already posted?  Should I go ahead and remove her before adding the new guy?  Or just add the new guy anyway?  I emailed the company, but probably won't get a response until tomorrow.

I was instructed to add the AU anyway, and the previous AU that has posted will overlap until early June.  Citi added the AU, then transferred me to the fraud department where they sent me a text message with an authorization code and also made me verify my address.  Everything seems to have gone through, but it makes me a little nervous that they flagged me and sent me to the fraud department.

They are getting more aggressive with the adds now.  In my previous post they had me add a 3rd tradeline AU onto a card that my wife was already an AU on and said it was fine.  I have since removed one AU, and I've had my wife, and 2 tradeline AU on the card.  I just got notice to add 2 additional AU, but haven't received notice to remove any others. 

So my citi card is going to have me, my wife, and 4 tradeline AU on it for some period of time. 

Catica

• Bristles
This happens from time to time.  I recently had one not post.  The old company said to check a day or 2 after adding to see that the AU was really added.  I don't, but it's the best practice.  I've only lost 2 AUs ever for not posting and I'm pretty sure the other one, I forgot to put any purchases on it.

Most likely scenarios, in no particular order:

1.  Some error in the process of adding the AU by you.  This would include:
  A.  Not typing or transferring the key AU information of name, address, SSN, and DOB.
  B.  Not completing the process with the CC company.  Some CC companies now have an authentication at the end of the process, which I sometimes almost forget to do.
  C.  Failing to put a purchase on the card before the closing date.
  D.  Failing to add the user before the closing date.
  E.  Accidentally adding them to the wrong card, I suppose.
2.  Some error in adding the AU by the CC company.  If you called in:
  A.  They may have failed to enter the key AU information correctly, or have failed to complete the process on their end somehow.
  B.  They may have suspected fraud.  Normally this would result in the card being locked and the AU added anyway, but it's possible if the CSR thought fraud and was highly energetic that they would refuse to add the AU and possibly lock the card.  Alas, this explanation would make more sense if it were the second AU that you added failed.

I'd be concerned only to the extent that I'd have lost that commission and somewhat damaged the TL company's reputation and somewhat damaged the TL company's opinion of me, which might affect their decision to send commissions my way in the future.  And if it's consistently happening, I'd carefully go over my practices and make sure I was doing everything correctly.

But, if it's just a one-off, which is the most likely scenario, the TL companies say it happens from time to time without rhyme or reason, and other than a lost commission and slight inconvenience to the TL company to reassign that AU to someone else I wouldn't worry about it.

Just had my first two not post, both in the last couple of months after going a few years without problems. I think it was because I added them online and did not call in, and could not add the SSN online. Company said it was OK to do it this way back when the customer service phone line waits were hours due to coronavirus. But now that things have settled and customer service waits are back to normal, I'm back to calling in with a SSN if there's no place for it online and haven't had problems. They did show up on my CC account, I got the card in the mail, activated it, and made purchases on the card, but, no luck without that SSN apparently.

Thank you all for the explanations.  I'm disappointed as this was $250.  I never call in to add AUs and I was not advised to call a day or two after to confirm, and also was not told to charge the card issued to the AU :(
So if they didn't post, can I call in and remove them or do I need to wait 3 moths like I do with the ones that posted?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Thank you all for the explanations.  I'm disappointed as this was $250.  I never call in to add AUs and I was not advised to call a day or two after to confirm, and also was not told to charge the card issued to the AU :(
So if they didn't post, can I call in and remove them or do I need to wait 3 moths like I do with the ones that posted?

Depending on the card, you may not need to call to add the AU. And I've never called back to confirm. You don't need to put a charge the AUs card. Just a small charge on your own card to ensure it post.

beekayworld

• Stubble
Citicard is one which for sure has to have the SSN added to be sure it posts. The online form doesn't request the SSN, and when I've called in to add the SSN the CSRs can be confused and find it difficult. (arguing with me saying they don't need it; or telling me the AU is already added, or some other misunderstanding of my request.)

I've found it easier to call in to add the AU completely rather than add the AU online and then call to add the SSN.  When I call in to add an AU fresh, the CSR asks for each information field including the SSN so it all flows easily.

beekayworld

• Stubble

With some cards you HAVE to call in to get it to post correctly.
I have never called to confirm, but for Citi you can see the authorized AUs when you login to your Citi account.
I don't see why you can't remove the ones that didn't post, but I would do it on two different phone calls, on different days .

BTW, do you call in to remove AUs? For Citi and Chase the company says to call in to remove. Chase allows ADDS on line, but not removals.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:27:04 AM by beekayworld »

beekayworld

• Stubble
I just logged on to the New Company portal and looked at my cards' instructions.

For Chase and CapitalOne no SSN is required.
For Citi, Barclay, and Bank of America the SSN is required.

(expand the card info using the plus sign. There is a field "SSN required" with either a YES or NO next to it.)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
How many AU can you have on a card simultaneously?  I have a citi with 2 slots in the portal that sell pretty regularly.  My wife is also an AU on the and is listed as such in the portal.  I already have the 2 slots filled, for a total of 3 current AU, and I just got a request to add another.  Did they forget to tell me to remove the AU that has already posted?  Should I go ahead and remove her before adding the new guy?  Or just add the new guy anyway?  I emailed the company, but probably won't get a response until tomorrow.

I was instructed to add the AU anyway, and the previous AU that has posted will overlap until early June.  Citi added the AU, then transferred me to the fraud department where they sent me a text message with an authorization code and also made me verify my address.  Everything seems to have gone through, but it makes me a little nervous that they flagged me and sent me to the fraud department.

They are getting more aggressive with the adds now.  In my previous post they had me add a 3rd tradeline AU onto a card that my wife was already an AU on and said it was fine.  I have since removed one AU, and I've had my wife, and 2 tradeline AU on the card.  I just got notice to add 2 additional AU, but haven't received notice to remove any others. 

So my citi card is going to have me, my wife, and 4 tradeline AU on it for some period of time.

I just got 2 separate emails telling me that the AU request wasn't completed, "Your authorized user request wasn't completed. Please resubmit your request"

I logged into my citi account just to see what's up, because I've had them alert me before, but then it still lists the AU as on the account.  But my account is gone.  I have access to my other citi card, but the card that I added the AU on is just gone.  When I go to my accounts it only lists my costco card, my citi double card is nowhere.  Hmmm. 

beekayworld

• Stubble
Wow! That's strange.  Even when I've had problems with Citi, the card in question still shows.  It either has "account closed" or "we see unusual activity; please call us".

Could you try in another browser. Or go to your "History" and click on the saved link that you have used in the past to see that particular card?

(That would just be out of curiosity. You will have to call in anyway to fix the issue.)

erutio

• Pencil Stache

I just got 2 separate emails telling me that the AU request wasn't completed, "Your authorized user request wasn't completed. Please resubmit your request"

I logged into my citi account just to see what's up, because I've had them alert me before, but then it still lists the AU as on the account.  But my account is gone.  I have access to my other citi card, but the card that I added the AU on is just gone.  When I go to my accounts it only lists my costco card, my citi double card is nowhere.  Hmmm.

I've had this happen to me with Citi, during a period where I wasn't adding or removing AUs.   I ignored it and the next time I logged on (maybe a week later?), my account showed up again.

chuckster

• Stubble
Trying to do a Barclay add and the customer service rep just skipped the SSN question and issued the card. Then said he couldn't go back and add the SSN until after I receive the card. Ugh...

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Trying to do a Barclay add and the customer service rep just skipped the SSN question and issued the card. Then said he couldn't go back and add the SSN until after I receive the card. Ugh...

I can add and remove AUs online on my Barclay's card.  Hopefully you can too.  Look under Services / Authorized Users.  I believe it uses name, DOB, and address.

Also, if you provided name, DOB, and address to the CSR, it should still post even without the SSN.  My rule of thumb, which  matches the evidence I've seen, is that as long as three of (name, DOB, address, SSN) match, then it'll post to their credit report.  I even had one case where a long last name was misspelled by one letter, and it still posted.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache

I initiated online chat and the citi rep said they still see my account on their side.  They said I need to clear my cache and cookies, and when that failed they said I had to call in to tech support. 

After calling in I was given the same advice.  When that failed they said try a different browser.  When that failed they said to just re link the card.  When that failed they said my account needs to be deleted and I need to create a brand new account and relink both cards.  After they deleted my username I was unable to choose the same username, so I had to create a new one.  After that I have no access to the website at all.  After logging in it just says "we've encountered an issue".  I was instructed to wait an hour and then try logging back in (that was several hours ago, still no good). 

The rep assured me she could still see both my cards from her end, and that my automatic payments were still in effect (she claimed those can only be canceled by calling in and requesting the stop, not even deleting the account will negate them apparently).

I guess I just don't have access to see my citi cards online any longer?  I am going to wait until next week and see if the technical issues are on their end and fixed, but this has been going on since Tuesday and they didn't post anything about server maintenance that I could see, and the rep wasn't aware of any maintenance going on until she put me on hold to go and talk to the "tech department", and afterwards claimed they are doing maintenance.  But I also feel like they are perpetually doing some kind of maintenance and will announce when users should expect down time, which they haven't done. 

Also despite the email telling me that my AU failed to post, while I was on hold waiting for the rep the automated system told me that there were changes to my account on the day I added AU and that a new card was already in the mail to my address. 

MoneyTree

• Bristles
Citi's website has always acted weird for me too. Sometimes I'll put in the address for an AU, and then after I save, I check the address, and its the address of an AU I had added months ago! So its not a typo, and I'm almost positive it isn't some kind of autofill either. Half the time I need to edit the address of the AU i just added.

To make things even stranger, once I had to call in to add an AU, and the CSR helping me out said "That's weird, the system just changed the address on me!"

solon

• Handlebar Stache
I have received the message "Your authorized user request wasn't completed. Please resubmit your request" a couple times too. But when I log in to check, the AUs are clearly there. So I just ignored the texts and everything worked out fine.

dizzy

• Stubble
So I finally got around to doing this, and my cards don't qualify.  They have really tightened the requirements, want $20k limits which is not anywhere near my limits on any of my cards (I don't even have $10k limit, and only 2 cards with $5k)

Does anyone else have any leads on other services like this?  I'm kicking myself for waiting.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
So I finally got around to doing this, and my cards don't qualify.  They have really tightened the requirements, want $20k limits which is not anywhere near my limits on any of my cards (I don't even have $10k limit, and only 2 cards with $5k)

Does anyone else have any leads on other services like this?  I'm kicking myself for waiting.

Their needs change over time. It's worth it to check back on occasion.

MoneyTree

• Bristles

Even if your cards have low limits now, it doesn't have to stay that way. You can regularly request limit increases, and you'll get there eventually. 

I regularly request increases on my cards, and I also open new cards regularly so I can start seasoning them so I can sell lines on them in a few years when some of my current cards inevitably get shut down.

You're playing the long game here.

dizzy

• Stubble
Yeah, fortunately/unfortunately I do have several cards with each issuer due to churning (sign up bonuses) but I have basically the minimum CL's on all of them.  I recently asked for CLI's everywhere and was denied- lending standards are tough (also getting approved for cards rn as well).  Cap One is still pending at least so fingers crossed.  A good reminder at least for next time I close a card to make sure the credit limit is transferred over to another card before closing.

I wish biz cards counted!  I have much higher limits on those cards :/  Can't even shift the credit line over since personal and biz don't play together for this.

cooking

• Stubble
Does anybody know if a person can sort of "accelerate" the number of on-time payments on a single credit card by splitting a payment into 2 payments, both paid before the due date for that payment?  I was just rejected by Cap One for a credit line increase, which the explanation claimed was because I almost never use the card.  (This is true).  So I just started using the card.  Meantime, I found an old letter from Cap One while doing some cleaning, which stated that I could apply for a credit line increase after 5 on-time payments.  That started me wondering about a way to expedite the process w/o waiting the 5-6 mo. that process would normally take.  If the 1st technique I asked about wouldn't work, does anybody out there know of any other tricks to accomplish this?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Does anybody know if a person can sort of "accelerate" the number of on-time payments on a single credit card by splitting a payment into 2 payments, both paid before the due date for that payment?  I was just rejected by Cap One for a credit line increase, which the explanation claimed was because I almost never use the card.  (This is true).  So I just started using the card.  Meantime, I found an old letter from Cap One while doing some cleaning, which stated that I could apply for a credit line increase after 5 on-time payments.  That started me wondering about a way to expedite the process w/o waiting the 5-6 mo. that process would normally take.  If the 1st technique I asked about wouldn't work, does anybody out there know of any other tricks to accomplish this?

I doubt that would work.  I think they view it as you having one chance per billing cycle to make an on-time payment.  Even if you split it into two they'll only count it as one.

The only trick, other than waiting, is piggybacking on someone else's credit, which is of course the technique discussed in this thread.  PM me if you want to discuss a private sale of a slot on one of my tradelines.  ;-)

cooking

• Stubble
@secondcor521  --I appreciate the offer, I just don't think it would really help much in this case.  I've got lots of CCs, some with fairly high limits, and a very good credit score.  I think Cap One is just trying to force me to use their card if I want an increase.  Since the rewards are better on many other cards I have, I never used the Cap One until recently.

Catica

• Bristles
Is there a benefit in having cards enrolled with more than one company?  I have 2 cards with the old company and one with the new one.  The old company pays more, and sells spots consistently. I'm questioning myself whether I should pull that one card from the new company and enroll it with the old one. What are your thoughts on this?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
I would list with the old company and see how it goes no need to pull it from company 2

Catica

• Bristles
I would list with the old company and see how it goes no need to pull it from company 2
I don't believe that's allowed per each company's contract.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
If you have cards that qualify with old company, I'd do that.

I'd use new company for cards that old company doesn't take (card issuers they don't use or limits/age lower they take).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache

I initiated online chat and the citi rep said they still see my account on their side.  They said I need to clear my cache and cookies, and when that failed they said I had to call in to tech support. 

After calling in I was given the same advice.  When that failed they said try a different browser.  When that failed they said to just re link the card.  When that failed they said my account needs to be deleted and I need to create a brand new account and relink both cards.  After they deleted my username I was unable to choose the same username, so I had to create a new one.  After that I have no access to the website at all.  After logging in it just says "we've encountered an issue".  I was instructed to wait an hour and then try logging back in (that was several hours ago, still no good). 

The rep assured me she could still see both my cards from her end, and that my automatic payments were still in effect (she claimed those can only be canceled by calling in and requesting the stop, not even deleting the account will negate them apparently).

I guess I just don't have access to see my citi cards online any longer?  I am going to wait until next week and see if the technical issues are on their end and fixed, but this has been going on since Tuesday and they didn't post anything about server maintenance that I could see, and the rep wasn't aware of any maintenance going on until she put me on hold to go and talk to the "tech department", and afterwards claimed they are doing maintenance.  But I also feel like they are perpetually doing some kind of maintenance and will announce when users should expect down time, which they haven't done. 

Also despite the email telling me that my AU failed to post, while I was on hold waiting for the rep the automated system told me that there were changes to my account on the day I added AU and that a new card was already in the mail to my address.

Now my doublecash card is showing up, but my costco card no longer is.  Citi needs to get its shit together. 

ETA: also apparently no longer able to make payments from my bank account.  I need to reset it up and reverify everything.  Makes me slightly suspicious that the rep assured my my autopayment is still scheduled for both cards, and cannot be deleted without calling in, but for some reason I now need to readd and reverify all of my bank account information.  I only have one bank account though, so it's the same one that's already scheduled.  I like to make prepayments to make sure I stay below the recommended credit utilization. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:13:36 PM by frugalnacho »

Catica

• Bristles
If you have cards that qualify with old company, I'd do that.

I'd use new company for cards that old company doesn't take (card issuers they don't use or limits/age lower they take).
Thanks, I just did that

Catica

• Bristles
I have 2 Bank of America Cards that qualify for Tradelines with the old company. I'm told that using 2 or more cards from the same lender increases the risk of closure since the overall numbers of AU being added and removed is increased. Each of these cards would earn $200 per spot. Is it worth risking? Would you do it?

MoneyTree

• Bristles
I have 2 Bank of America Cards that qualify for Tradelines with the old company. I'm told that using 2 or more cards from the same lender increases the risk of closure since the overall numbers of AU being added and removed is increased. Each of these cards would earn $200 per spot. Is it worth risking? Would you do it?

I don't have a BofA card so I can't speak directly to how they look at that, but I would not. At each bank I will only actively sell one card but I will have others that are seasoning, so when the active card gets shut down (I'm operating off the assumption that it will get shut down at some point), I have a seasoned card ready to take its place. This obviously won't work for banks that shut down all your accounts at once.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!