Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1906987 times)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache

Not with Barclays. I have been with this thread from the get go and read the entire previous one and have not heard of anyone having a card shut down by Barclay. They truly don't give an f and allow the most user slots of any issuer that I know of. Maybe it's because they are a British company and not US based?

Barclays bank has a huge presence in the US, especially in NYC.
Oh I know they do, but they are based in the UK.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I want to get more cards for tradelines.  I already have 2 BA that I'm using. I'm seasoning 2 Barclays cards and 2 Discover cards.  What other cards would you guys recommend?

My favorites are Barclays, USBank, Capital One and Chase because I can add AUs online without the hassle of phone interaction.  Of course Chase and Cap One are notorious for restricting your ability to be granted a new card with the famous Chase 5/24 and Cap One is even more stringent.

Are you currently selling tradelines with Chase? I never wanted to risk it with Chase because we have numerous cards with them and routinely collect tons of UR points. I haven't run into any issues landing CapOne cards but we haven't been churning as hard the last couple years. Ramping it back up this year though.

I sold with both Chase and Capital One. Chase had pissed me off (don't remember why) so I decided it was worth the risk of card closure. I made $1,375 off of them before they closed all of my accounts. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Capital One I made a little less than $1,000 from before they restricted my account. I waited a year and got the restriction removed, but now they've restricted my other account. Not really worth the hassle. I've never had any experience with US Bank, so would love to hear more about your experience with them @MasterStache . A big selling point for me is being able to remove users online as well. Adding them online is great, but if I have to call in for a removal it defeats the purpose of having online adding IMO.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:22:02 AM by ducky19 »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
I want to get more cards for tradelines.  I already have 2 BA that I'm using. I'm seasoning 2 Barclays cards and 2 Discover cards.  What other cards would you guys recommend?

My favorites are Barclays, USBank, Capital One and Chase because I can add AUs online without the hassle of phone interaction.  Of course Chase and Cap One are notorious for restricting your ability to be granted a new card with the famous Chase 5/24 and Cap One is even more stringent.

Are you currently selling tradelines with Chase? I never wanted to risk it with Chase because we have numerous cards with them and routinely collect tons of UR points. I haven't run into any issues landing CapOne cards but we haven't been churning as hard the last couple years. Ramping it back up this year though.

I sold with both Chase and Capital One. Chase had pissed me off (don't remember why) so I decided it was worth the risk of card closure. I made $1,375 off of them before they closed all of my accounts. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Capital One I made a little less than $1,000 from before they restricted my account. I waited a year and got the restriction removed, but now they've restricted my other account. Not really worth the hassle. I've never had any experience with US Bank, so would love to hear more about your experience with them @MasterStache . A big selling point for me is being able to remove users online as well. Adding them online is great, but if I have to call in for a removal it defeats the purpose of having online adding IMO.
I think it's @Car Jack who is selling tradelines with US Bank. I don't have any US Bank cards. I looked into their cards a while back but none really appealed to me. May check them out again.

Catica

• Bristles
I just got a fraud alert under one of the AU's name.  There were 3 transactions made on the card.  The charges happened yesterday exactly on the day that the AU posted into my account.  This is with the new company.  The bank send me alerts but it says RE: debit card #7895, but I do not have a card with such number and it says it is a debit card  I logged in to online banking and I do have a charge on the card that I'm using for tradelines that I did not make but it's not the charge I received alerts for.  I do not see any charges I received alerts for in online banking. I'm a bit nervous and not sure what to do. Anyone had this happen to them?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:52:57 AM by Catica »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
catica, did the AU card come to your address?

I would call and freeze the account and tell them that your AU did not make those charges. I would then call company two and tell them. Keep us updated please, I have never heard of that happening.

Catica

• Bristles

I would call and freeze the account and tell them that your AU did not make those charges. I would then call company two and tell them. Keep us updated please, I have never heard of that happening.
Yes, it came to my address.  I have it in my hand.  But why did I get fraud alerts referencing a debit card that I do not have?  Weird, no?

Note to clarify, the charge on my card that I said I didn't recognize is actually hubby's.  So, the only mystery is that I'm getting alerts for some debit card that is not mine with the AU's name.
Fraud dept. just called (automated message) referenced that debit card again and asked for AU.  I said that he wasn't at this address and the machine hung up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:17:44 AM by Catica »

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I just filled up the last spot on my two cards with the old company. They're newer cards so only $25-50 each but that's still $150 in a couple of months and then I can do it all over again. The first card I added back in December and nothing until now. Then both spots sold back to back just before the statement closing date. The other card I added last month and both spots sold within a few days. I've got one more card to add, my Citibank Costco Visa. I just submitted a request to increase the limit and they instantly bumped it up from $8,500 to $11,500 (no credit check) so now it should be eligible.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:15:49 PM by Michael in ABQ »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I just filled up the last spot on my two cards with the old company. They're newer cards so only $25-50 each but that's still $150 in a couple of months and then I can do it all over again. The first card I added back in December and nothing until now. Then both spots sold back to back just before the statement closing date. The other card I added last month and both spots sold within a few days. I've got one more card to add, my Citibank Costco Visa. I just submitted a request to increase the limit and they instantly bumped it up from $8,500 to $11,500 (no credit check) so now it should be eligible.

You didn't mention what card issuer your two cards were with, but if they are with Barclay you are seriously selling yourself short by enrolling them while they pay out so low. There is a lifetime max of 25-35 (results vary, mine have all seem to hit at 30) authorized users you can add to their cards for some reason. By waiting to enroll them until they are seasoned, you'll make a lot more money in the long run. Now if you're talking about a different issuer, disregard this post.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache

You didn't mention what card issuer your two cards were with, but if they are with Barclay you are seriously selling yourself short by enrolling them while they pay out so low. There is a lifetime max of 25-35 (results vary, mine have all seem to hit at 30) authorized users you can add to their cards for some reason. By waiting to enroll them until they are seasoned, you'll make a lot more money in the long run. Now if you're talking about a different issuer, disregard this post.

Yes, one of them is a Barclay's card. It's just over a year old. I think once I get paid from these two spots I'll pause it until it gets to the two-year mark. Then it will go from $50 to $175.

WFUDEAC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've got one more card to add, my Citibank Costco Visa.

I wouldn't think this would be a good one for Tradelines as there is a Costco Membership linked to the card.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Has anybody received court notices for their AUs? I received a notice letter for my previous AU sent to my home address. If I remember correctly, that AU wasn't in my state when I registered them a couple of years ago but they are being sued in my state now. A collection company is suing them for a couple of thousand bucks on behalf of one of the banks for credit card debt. They sent me a notice by regular and another one by certified mail which of course I didn't sign for. I used AU's address when registered them, not sure why  whoever sues them think they live at my address.

I'm pretty sure tangling up the AU with your credit report entangles them with your address as well.  I've also gotten stuff in the mail when I didn't use my own address, so now I simply use my own address for each one because it's easier.

Catica

• Bristles

Is the max lifetime per Barclay card or for all of your Barclay cards?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

No it's for each card.

Catica

• Bristles

No it's for each card.
OK, good, thanks

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Anyone add an AU on Chase via the chase.com web site in the past day or two?

It's not working for me currently.  I think it's just a generic website issue and will probably call in the AU if I can't get the website to work in the next few days.

Just curious.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

Yes, it came to my address.  I have it in my hand.  But why did I get fraud alerts referencing a debit card that I do not have?  Weird, no?

Note to clarify, the charge on my card that I said I didn't recognize is actually hubby's.  So, the only mystery is that I'm getting alerts for some debit card that is not mine with the AU's name.
Fraud dept. just called (automated message) referenced that debit card again and asked for AU.  I said that he wasn't at this address and the machine hung up.

Did you figure any of this out yet? @Catica

Is the credit card issuer also a bank you use?  You mentioned debit cards...  Just curious but I also realize you may not want to divulge too many details.  Hope it all works out OK for you!

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
I'm pretty sure tangling up the AU with your credit report entangles them with your address as well.  I've also gotten stuff in the mail when I didn't use my own address, so now I simply use my own address for each one because it's easier.

Agreed!  I get weird mail (mostly collections) for some AU's.  Recently, I have had some collection letters come quickly after the AU was added.  Some of these collection companies must be on top of their work.

Catica

• Bristles

Did you figure any of this out yet? @Catica

Is the credit card issuer also a bank you use?  You mentioned debit cards...  Just curious but I also realize you may not want to divulge too many details.  Hope it all works out OK for you!
The credit card issuer is the bank I use.  I was told to ignore the calls and notifications but the new company. They said it was normal to get the notifications and calls.  So all is good, I think.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
I get collection letters for AUs all the time.  I always am puzzled by them.  Why would an AU pay to raise his credit score when he's a dead beat?  I mean....I pay $400 to raise my score 50 points, then don't bother paying my bills and my score drops 100 points.  Clearly, the AUs are not rocket scientists.  The amounts seem to be pretty consistent at about three grand.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The debt could be quite old, not recent, and the very reason they were trying to raise their score. It's not necessarily the case that they raised it then didn't pay bills.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EliteZags

• Bristles

It's not working for me currently.  I think it's just a generic website issue and will probably call in the AU if I can't get the website to work in the next few days.

Just curious.

I had that issue about a month ago for my last add which I eventually called in

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

Just curious.

I had that issue about a month ago for my last add which I eventually called in

Thanks.  I think I'll call in in the morning.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Dang, BofA dropped the CL on my card. Looks like quite a few CC issuers are doing this.

Catica

• Bristles
Dang, BofA dropped the CL on my card. Looks like quite a few CC issuers are doing this.
Did they say why?

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have a 2 year old Chase card I am tradelining. I added one AU and my card got locked. I called in and confirmed all the security questions and my identity and got it unlocked. I added another AU about a week ago, and found out today the card is locked again! Makes sense why people don't really recommend using Chase for a TL.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
I never had that happen on my chase card,  but I always call in the AU. Did you add online? That could be the reason why they locked your account, happened to me with another bank. TD once called me to confirm that I did add 3 AU online.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:18:09 AM by BikeFanatic »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Did they say why?
No, but again, some credit card issuers are doing this because of the pandemic and economic undoing. I believe it has something to do with decreasing their credit risk/credit exposure.
I've got another BofA card so I may try to transfer some credit over.

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I never had that happen on my chase card,  but I always call in the AU. Did you add online? That could be the reason why they locked your account, happened to me with another bank. TD once called me to confirm that I did add 3 AU online.
[/quote]
I added on the phone.. It's very odd.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Did they say why?
No

@PointsLawyer batsignal.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Did they say why?
No

@PointsLawyer batsignal.

I thought he dealt with closures only.  Can you get a settlement because they lowered your credit limit?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Did they say why?
No

@PointsLawyer batsignal.

I thought he dealt with closures only.  Can you get a settlement because they lowered your credit limit?

I thought the law included any adverse action without explanation, but I could be misremembering.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Did they say why?
No

@PointsLawyer batsignal.

I thought the law included any adverse action without explanation, but I could be misremembering.

From what I recall, PointsLawyer is not able to do anything with BoA closures.

goodlivin23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi all,
I've got a Key Mastercard that I've had for 23 YEARS and it only has a $9K limit. I called last July to increase the limit but they said since I hadn't used it for a while, they wouldn't do it. So I bought a bunch of grocery store gift cards. Called back in November and they said that I had to wait 6 months between requests. So called back in May. They said since I had some activity on my credit report (I had increased limits on another card - but my score is 820), they couldn't increase it 'at this time'. WHAT?!?! I've had the damn card for 23 years and never a late payment! I've had no problem getting my limit increased on my other cards. Oh - I only use one card, and I pay it off every 2 weeks.
Has anyone else had this issue with Key? I would love to use this card for selling tradelines.
Any help is super appreciated here.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Hi all,
I've got a Key Mastercard that I've had for 23 YEARS and it only has a $9K limit. I called last July to increase the limit but they said since I hadn't used it for a while, they wouldn't do it. So I bought a bunch of grocery store gift cards. Called back in November and they said that I had to wait 6 months between requests. So called back in May. They said since I had some activity on my credit report (I had increased limits on another card - but my score is 820), they couldn't increase it 'at this time'. WHAT?!?! I've had the damn card for 23 years and never a late payment! I've had no problem getting my limit increased on my other cards. Oh - I only use one card, and I pay it off every 2 weeks.
Has anyone else had this issue with Key? I would love to use this card for selling tradelines.

If by "Key" you are referring to Key Bank, I don't believe either the Old company or the New company will use them for tradelines.

Each issuer has their own rules as to CL increases.  If you google around, there are places where people have crowdsourced this information and you can find out what works and doesn't work.  I don't usually worry about the specifics of any given issuer, but in general I note that a higher reported income and high monthly spending on the card will result in increases.  I've also heard that calling them and saying that you have a big purchase you'd like to put on the card can result in them issuing an increase.  Finally, I would say that a high reported income is more correlated to high limits than a high credit score.

You could also start seasoning cards with other issuers like Chase, Citi, etc.  Sometimes you can even get card signup bonuses for them which makes them doubly useful (signup bonus + piggybacking).

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
I was able to move CL from one card to the other for BofA. So I'm not too worried about them dropping my CL unexpectedly.

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just a heads up for those with Wells Fargo tradelines. My card is having issues reporting AU's properly. Apparently this is a know issue that has something to do with Covid. Btw I am using a different company than the "old" or the "new" one.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Hi all,

I'm not surprised.  The bank is looking and sees you don't actually "need" a CL increase because you're not consistently using the card.  If you do really want that CL increase, use it as your base card and do it for a year.  Then when you ask for a CL increase, they'll see that you have a reason to ask.  I have cards where I pay part throughout the period in order to avoid the credit limit but actually spend way over the credit limit throughout the month.  Doing that would be a good way to signal that you will actually use that added CL.  If you just want it for tradelines and don't want to actually spend near the limit, they probably will never raise it.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
My tactic for trying to get a credit increase is to frame it that I've got a big purchase coming up and I don't want to exceed 20% of my credit utilization as that could potentially impact my credit score. Realistically I will never come close to a $15,000 or $20,000 credit limit but I could potentially charge a few thousand in one month.

In some cases it's been automate and just inputting my higher income has been enough.

Catica

• Bristles
The old company tells you when to remove AU.  Do you have to do it exactly on that day, can you do it later?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
You can do it later.  I think a lot of us make sure it's the next day so we don't remove it early.  I expect they don't put your card back in play for buyers until the number of AUs on the card is below the max they set.

I got a "remove user" from the new company a week ago.  Add date?  Beginning of August last year.  Really? 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
You can do it later.  I think a lot of us make sure it's the next day so we don't remove it early.  I expect they don't put your card back in play for buyers until the number of AUs on the card is below the max they set.

I got a "remove user" from the new company a week ago.  Add date?  Beginning of August last year.  Really?

I recently had them go over the max with a small overlap.

How many AU can you have on a card simultaneously?  I have a citi with 2 slots in the portal that sell pretty regularly.  My wife is also an AU on the and is listed as such in the portal.  I already have the 2 slots filled, for a total of 3 current AU, and I just got a request to add another.  Did they forget to tell me to remove the AU that has already posted?  Should I go ahead and remove her before adding the new guy?  Or just add the new guy anyway?  I emailed the company, but probably won't get a response until tomorrow.

I was instructed to add the AU anyway, and the previous AU that has posted will overlap until early June.  Citi added the AU, then transferred me to the fraud department where they sent me a text message with an authorization code and also made me verify my address.  Everything seems to have gone through, but it makes me a little nervous that they flagged me and sent me to the fraud department.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
sigh.....

One of my AUs called the cc company to "dispute" being an AU on the card and demanded he be removed.  cc company closes the card and issues a new one, sending me a text saying it's been closed by request.  I call in and get the name of the AU who did this.....who I've been paid for and who is scheduled to be removed next Wednesday.  I guess these people aren't rocket scientists.  They pay to be an AU and then go to the trouble of getting themselves removed as an AU.  I'm hoping the other AU isn't affected by this clown.

I've heard other stories like this here.  I did learn that I needed to change my telephone number on the account.  The fraud department tried to call me on our landline.....which has absolutely nothing plugged into it.  Changed that for the future.

The joys of tradeline sales, I guess.

chuckster

• Stubble
Yeah sometimes one of these AU clients becomes hyper-vigilant about their credit report, and when they pull it suddenly they see an address or something on there they've never heard of, and think they're victims of identity theft. D'oh!

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
has anyone out there done the research/crowdsourced data to put together a guide on how often you can request credit limit increases for different issuers? Part of my strategy is to gradually increase the limit on cards so they can qualify for higher payouts.

I used to regularly get CL increases without a problem, but lately i've been getting more rejections, either due to low utilization, enough credit extended already, or new credit having been recently opened.

I know there is no obligation for the issuers to be more specific than that, but I'd like to have a better idea of what each issuer's guidelines are so I can better manage my limit increase requests.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
has anyone out there done the research/crowdsourced data to put together a guide on how often you can request credit limit increases for different issuers? Part of my strategy is to gradually increase the limit on cards so they can qualify for higher payouts.

I used to regularly get CL increases without a problem, but lately i've been getting more rejections, either due to low utilization, enough credit extended already, or new credit having been recently opened.

I know there is no obligation for the issuers to be more specific than that, but I'd like to have a better idea of what each issuer's guidelines are so I can better manage my limit increase requests.

Yeah, there's data out there if you google for it.  Key drivers of high limits IMHO are household income, high spending on the card in question, and to a lesser degree a long and strong credit history.

In general, each issuer seems to have a max total that you'll get across all of your cards with them, and it seems to be a percentage of your HHI.  So with most issuers, you can ask them to move CL around from card to card.

Sometimes you can open new cards with an issuer, get a low CL of like $5K or something, and then close it at move that $5K to another card with them.  BofA doesn't like to let you do this, though - they'll go through a mini credit interview every time you try.  Lately though, issuers will also do the reverse of this maneuver, where they'll give you that new card with a $5K limit, but they'll take that $5K from one of your other cards with them.

Generally I wouldn't bother asking for CLIs more than once every six months or so, especially if nothing has changed in your income or credit or spending profile.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Also some of the branded chase cards like IHG and Hyatt give you very high limits like 30k. I have chase United and the limit is very low, and they are stubborn about increasing it. But they did take some of my Hyatt chase limits and move to the United card. The Hyatt card had 40 k limit. The CSR talked me through it and hinted if I had higher income I could have more and they did pull a credit check, and she mentioned that they would. Anyhow, that’s how I got my limit up. Unfortunately my trade line company doesn’t use chase as much as my other cards (maybe because chase doesn’t take the AU social?). Anyway I also added reported my spouses income to to chase and that helped.

I find the companies utilize my Barclays card most, then my Discover card but only 2 spots a month, BOA, then Citibank, I am lucky that mine takes TD bank and Chase, Capital one also. (Got restrictions with Capital one so it can be feast or famine with that card). I have an opportunity to get a covity bank card too and when they signed me up they offered me a 30 k limit! But I am not sure if they take that bank and this would be a BJ brand card, I am on the fence about it. I have too many cards. Hope this helps.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
sigh.....

One of my AUs called the cc company to "dispute" being an AU on the card and demanded he be removed.  cc company closes the card and issues a new one, sending me a text saying it's been closed by request.  I call in and get the name of the AU who did this.....who I've been paid for and who is scheduled to be removed next Wednesday.  I guess these people aren't rocket scientists.  They pay to be an AU and then go to the trouble of getting themselves removed as an AU.  I'm hoping the other AU isn't affected by this clown.

I've heard other stories like this here.  I did learn that I needed to change my telephone number on the account.  The fraud department tried to call me on our landline.....which has absolutely nothing plugged into it.  Changed that for the future.

The joys of tradeline sales, I guess.

Yeah sometimes one of these AU clients becomes hyper-vigilant about their credit report, and when they pull it suddenly they see an address or something on there they've never heard of, and think they're victims of identity theft. D'oh!

I think a lot of AUs are trying to improve their credit two ways at the same time--removing items that shouldn't be there to clean up bad things on their report, and adding tradelines to add good things.

If they're using a company to credit repair at the same time as they add tradelines, there can be miscommunication and the tradeline may be disputed. It isn't common, but does seem to happen, and that's my guess as to why.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
One more reason to remove AUs from your cards as soon as possible.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

I think a lot of AUs are trying to improve their credit two ways at the same time--removing items that shouldn't be there to clean up bad things on their report, and adding tradelines to add good things.

If they're using a company to credit repair at the same time as they add tradelines, there can be miscommunication and the tradeline may be disputed. It isn't common, but does seem to happen, and that's my guess as to why.

TL company contacted the AU.  He had same bank's card with a bad mark, so disputed it with the credit bureau who contacted the bank to pull all the cards there.  Had he waited one more day, it would have hit the last day before the "remove" date.  I had another AU on that card, so we'll see what happens.  These are $25 AUs, so no big deal. 

I continue to receive comedy in the mail from credit recovery companies in various AU's names.  Yah...good luck with that, buddy.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
I had a very odd situation. I got a letter from Barclays that "as requested, we've closed your account" on my tradeline card. I initially thought that they had closed it for tradeline sales but provided the wrong reason, but when I called the rep said that I had closed it in the automated system. I said I hadn't closed it, and she said that maybe I hit the wrong button. (Side note: how could it POSSIBLY be so easy to close an account that you can pocket-dial it???) I hadn't called in at all, and she reopened the account.

I do have current AUs on the card, so I hope it doesn't screw up anything with those, but I'm kinda wondering given some of the other stories about AUs making changes to cards if one of them called it for some reason?