Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 899484 times)

Michael in ABQ

• Pencil Stache
    • Military Saints
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3700 on: December 02, 2019, 10:14:57 PM »
I just got setup with the old company on a newer card. They sent me the paperwork last month but I was in the middle of moving and didn't get to it until this weekend. I've got my first card ready to go so excited to see if I can sell a slot by the end of the month. If my statement close date is the 27th that means I'll probably get requests to add towards the end of the month?

Cornel_Westside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3701 on: December 02, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
What do you guys say if a customer service rep asks why you are adding someone as an authorized user?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:22:57 PM by Cornel_Westside »

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3702 on: December 03, 2019, 12:12:15 AM »
I just got setup with the old company on a newer card. They sent me the paperwork last month but I was in the middle of moving and didn't get to it until this weekend. I've got my first card ready to go so excited to see if I can sell a slot by the end of the month. If my statement close date is the 27th that means I'll probably get requests to add towards the end of the month?

Generally, yes, you'll get your add requests in the week prior to your statement close date.  However, many people have reported not getting their first sale right away.  It can take months or longer.

What do you guys say if a customer service rep asks why you are adding someone as an authorized user?

They have never asked me, and I doubt they ever will.  If they did, I would say because I want to.

BikeFanatic

• Bristles
« Reply #3703 on: December 03, 2019, 03:21:25 AM »
They may ask your relationship with the user. My wife says colleague, I say friend.  You should have a planned story like you have a side hustle where your friends may need to make a few purchases. I have been grilled by fraud department and they really have never pushed me that far. Mostly they just ask me to confirm my identity. Trade lines are legal, and the credit companies put up with it if you donít go overboard mostly IMHO.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3704 on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:50 AM »

They are individuals who helped me earn some side money and who may have need to access to my credit card for future purchasing requirements - and if so I will deliver the cards to them directly.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3705 on: December 03, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
There are two occasions where you might think you'll be asked about the situation with your AU.

The first is when you call (or go online) to add the AU.  The bank will ask your relationship to the AU.  I understand this is because of "Know your customer" laws that were passed in the wake of 9/11.  The person who's asking doesn't care, they just need to choose something from the drop down list on their screen.  I've never had anyone ask further beyond that when adding the AUs.

The second time is if the AU for some reason trips their fraud detector.  In this case your card might get shut down temporarily, and you'll get a message or a letter in the mail to call a special number to discuss the situation.  This is not common, but it does happen, and probably will happen to all of us eventually.  Sometimes the fraud person you talk to will ask perfunctory questions, sometimes they will grill you.  One time I was cajoled (USAA).  You can decide how you want to handle it, and may decide to handle it differently depending on how the fraud person behaves.

Depending on how the fraud situation turns out, you can have your card permanently canceled.  With Chase you can have all your Chase accounts closed, not just the CC.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3706 on: December 03, 2019, 12:03:55 PM »

They've never asked me, but I would say it's none of their business a private matter and I'm allowed to add anyone I want.  If they press further or ask the relationship I would simply say it's a business associate and leave it at that.  If they pressed any further than that I would tell them I'm not comfortable discussing the details of my relationship with them. 

But they've never asked, and I can't imagine they even care.

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3707 on: December 03, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »

"He works for a contractor that's doing some work on my house. If he needs to get supplies from Home Depot, I want my rewards points!"

I don't know if they ever save that answer in a file, but, I reason it's a good excuse for not being able to track down his drivers license six months later if they ever follow up, LOL!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3708 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
I have a new business and hire people around the country.  Many don't work out.

The above is all made up, of course.  If they actually look, they'll see that none of the AUs have ever even activated their card.  I receive them and they go right into the shredder at work, then the shreddings get put into a paper shopping bag and used to start my wood furnace at home.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3709 on: December 05, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
OH - I have been activating each card and then making a small purchase on the activated card! 

Is this NOT required then?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3710 on: December 05, 2019, 01:59:41 PM »
OH - I have been activating each card and then making a small purchase on the activated card! 

I never have. For years I didn't even get them, as I used a virtual mailbox while traveling, and they rejected mail not addressed to me, so it was sent straight back to the card issuer. :P
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3711 on: December 05, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »

It's recommended by one of the TL companies.  Personally I get them, activate them, file them, then shred them when I remove the AU.  Practice varies, as you can see.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3712 on: December 05, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
Ah, thanks folks.

I am with the new company on these cards & appreciate the input.

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3713 on: December 05, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »

I think it's considered good practice to have a charge on the account, but, it doesn't have to be with that card. But I think you do want to have some balance reported, even if the charge is coming from the primary cardholder's account. Depending on the bank issuer, that may "trigger" reporting the AU's information to the credit bureaus. I guess it's possible that some banks might not bother sending out an update to the bureaus on a $0 balance.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3714 on: December 05, 2019, 04:03:49 PM »
Oh yes, good clarification. I always do a small charge using my card.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3715 on: December 05, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
Another thought...
I make the small charge, but I also always pay off the balance in full every 2 weeks.  Is this kosher, or should I allow the balance to float a month?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3716 on: December 05, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
You need to have the statement "close" with a balance. Then you pay it off.

You won't ever pay interest, as you'll pay it off before the due date (but after the statement close date).

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3717 on: December 05, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Another thought...
I make the small charge, but I also always pay off the balance in full every 2 weeks.  Is this kosher, or should I allow the balance to float a month?

You need to pay the balance off after the billing cycle closing date, but before the payment due date. This insures the balance gets reported to the credit reporting agencies, but you won't have to pay any interest.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #3718 on: December 05, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Thank you both!

Tryingtogetby50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3719 on: December 05, 2019, 07:51:28 PM »
Hey all! For anyone adding AUís to USSA accounts, have any of your accounts been closed?

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3720 on: December 05, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
Hey all! For anyone adding AUís to USSA accounts, have any of your accounts been closed?

No, but they spoke with me once after I had added a number of AUs and guilted me into stopping on that card.

USAA seems to trigger on having 3 AUs on at any given time.  Also, one of the companies has advice about deleting the AU's customer profiles as you go along.  I never bothered doing this, and suspect it was part of what led to my lecture from them.  I still have like 13 acquaintances associated with my profile, which is obviously a lot from their perspective.

So if I were to give advice, it would be to never do more than 2 at a time at USAA, and delete/disassociate their profiles as you go along, as the TL companies recommend.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache

No, but they spoke with me once after I had added a number of AUs and guilted me into stopping on that card.

USAA seems to trigger on having 3 AUs on at any given time.  Also, one of the companies has advice about deleting the AU's customer profiles as you go along.  I never bothered doing this, and suspect it was part of what led to my lecture from them.  I still have like 13 acquaintances associated with my profile, which is obviously a lot from their perspective.

So if I were to give advice, it would be to never do more than 2 at a time at USAA, and delete/disassociate their profiles as you go along, as the TL companies recommend.

I'll piggyback onto this. I still use my USAA card for tradelines and sell 5-6 slots per year. Never have ore than 2 AU's on the card at any one time. It's a PITA adding AU's, especially when you get an incompetent CSR. However, it's by far my biggest money maker since I have had the card for almost 18 years.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Barclays has a box that I uncheck that says "send a card".  Then I'm able to put in both the ss# and the address of the AU and don't have to worry that a card will be sent to them.  It won't be, but that avoids a worry.

Kem

• Stubble
just received a voicemail with something akin to:

Hello, this is agent 'bob smith' with westlake location services attempting to contact 'tradeline named individual'
It is critical that 'tradeline named individual' returns this call or we will move ahead with proceedings as referenced in the certified mail shown as delivered on data 'x'
We may be reached 24 hours at phone number xxx

Thoughts folks?  I added this tradeline individual on 8/19

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
just received a voicemail with something akin to:

Hello, this is agent 'bob smith' with westlake location services attempting to contact 'tradeline named individual'
It is critical that 'tradeline named individual' returns this call or we will move ahead with proceedings as referenced in the certified mail shown as delivered on data 'x'
We may be reached 24 hours at phone number xxx

Thoughts folks?  I added this tradeline individual on 8/19

Does anyone read what the tradeline companies' documents say?

First, they shouldn't have your phone number associated with the AU, so you did something wrong there.  Second, you're supposed to report any attempted contact by an AU to the TL company.  They'll take care of it.  Third, don't call the "xxx" phone number back.

Kem

• Stubble
1 - I've never given phone number out in this process
2 - Already did :)
3 - 100% agreed

MoseyingAlong

• Stubble

First, they shouldn't have your phone number associated with the AU, so you did something wrong there. 

This is not necessarily true, OP may have done everything correctly.
Your address will often (always?) show up on the AUs credit report. And it's not that difficult to associate a phone number with an address. Especially if it's a landline that's been at that address for years.

I agree, don't call back and let the AU company know.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
1 - I've never given phone number out in this process
2 - Already did :)
3 - 100% agreed

Sounds good.  If I got a call I would be curious to figure out how they got my number.  The most likely thing is that you listed your phone number as the AU's number when you added them to your account.  Another likely thing is that you listed your address as the AU's address and your phone number is associated with your address somehow.  I've never done the former, but the latter has happened to me once.

(I'm saying "you" for convenient grammar, but I'm really speaking generally and not at you in particular.)

Kem

• Stubble
No offense taken - I appreciate the timely insights