Author Topic: I beat the system. I shut down nursing home scam by speaking up.  (Read 1412 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
I'm not one to question authority, usually. It takes a lot of courage on my part, and really stresses me out.

Basically they were ripping her off, and I had to step in and put a stop to it.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:22:42 PM by slackmax »

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
Re: I beat the system. I shut down nursing home scam by speaking up.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 10:00:38 AM »
Awesome! Good of you to help people around you.

Tell us more about the scam.

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:36:12 PM »
Yeah, collect your mind and take your time. But I want all the dirty details. The only way to fight scams is to understand them.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 02:18:20 PM »
Yeah, collect your mind and take your time. But I want all the dirty details. The only way to fight scams is to understand them.

OK, just the basics.  And the facility has 'some' defense for their actions, maybe, based on liability, and safety of the patient, etc. but..follow the money, right? This place has ripped my Dad off 5 years ago for $1,500 for unneeded physical therapy, so I am always watching them now.

Mom was in skilled nursing, and they put her on three more drugs than she usually has. 

This place has skilled nursing, assisted living, memory care, and independent living.

Mom normally lives  in assisted living. When it was time to move her back to assisted living, the social worker said she would need to be on 'managed medication'. Bingo. Ripoff alert!   'Managed medication' is where a nurse comes to your room with a pill, or pills, and watches you take them.  3 or more visits per day is $850 per month. What a coincidence they had were setting her up for 3 visits per day, the maximum profit zone, lol. 

She did not need any of the extra pills. She had been taking synthroid once per day by herself. I told them I wanted her to go back to that, and forget the other pills.

Instead of saying OK, it's what you and your Mom want, no problem, they made me get her doctor to OK it. I did, and they took her off the managed meds, but I had to stop them.

What bugs me is I can see this coming from these vultures, but then I have to be courageous and break up their party, and then I'm the bad guy. It should be easier for me, but it isn't. It takes a lot of courage and stress on my part. Because every one of the admins there, top to bottom, are in on the graft. Usually it's just you against 3 or 4 corrupted admins who are presenting a united front, and I have to confront every one of them.

I want to say that the actual hands-on medical people like nurses and aids are good, honest folks. 

But the admins are lying vultures with no conscience working their well thought out scams, honed over the years. 

OK, since someone will ask, the extra pills were Omeprazole, colace, and ferrous sulfate. Her iron and hemoglobin are low which is why she was on ferrous sulfate, but as I said, the doctor was OK with me taking away the ferrous sulfate, since it does help a bit,  but not much, and causes stomach problems.

And the admins were saying it had to be this way, and you can't stop us. Until I told them to take her off the extra meds.  They just want to run over people and keep ringing that cash register.   

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 04:11:11 PM »
Amazing, good for you!

Extra meds is a huge issue in general at any age.

It seems like once the patient is diagnosed with an issue, it’s very hard for doctors and the system to conceive of the issue being resolved and that specific medication no longer being necessary, or the cons of the medication outweighing the pros.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:22:54 AM »
Amazing, good for you!

Extra meds is a huge issue in general at any age.

It seems like once the patient is diagnosed with an issue, it’s very hard for doctors and the system to conceive of the issue being resolved and that specific medication no longer being necessary, or the cons of the medication outweighing the pros.

Or even when we do need the medication, that we can manage it on our own (speaking as an older person).

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 11:06:10 AM »
Good on you. Thank you for posting. That shit is much harder than it looks on the surface, and administrators are quite good at subtly or not so subtly implying that you are ignorant, crazy, or just stupid for insisting on changes in care.

In terms of the iron levels - good quality red meat - stewing beef, not hamburger that will have a lot of fillers - 3x a week will help. It's the most absorbable by far. It also has a lot of other highly absorbable nutrients like zinc and B vitamin.
I see a lot of elderly clients with skin presentation that suggests they are deficient in both those nutrients.

I've reintroduced beef back after being a mostly chicken person for a long time. A couple of years ago red meat was (unusually) on sale at IGA for 4 weeks straight, and so I ate beef stew for a month. And all my winter eczema went away, and I wasn't cold all the time anymore. I spent about the same on a month of beef as I did on a month of iron supplements, so it also resulting in good savings :)

evanc

• Stubble
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 03:32:13 PM »
Good on you. Thank you for posting. That shit is much harder than it looks on the surface, and administrators are quite good at subtly or not so subtly implying that you are ignorant, crazy, or just stupid for insisting on changes in care.

In terms of the iron levels - good quality red meat - stewing beef, not hamburger that will have a lot of fillers - 3x a week will help. It's the most absorbable by far. It also has a lot of other highly absorbable nutrients like zinc and B vitamin.
I see a lot of elderly clients with skin presentation that suggests they are deficient in both those nutrients.

I've reintroduced beef back after being a mostly chicken person for a long time. A couple of years ago red meat was (unusually) on sale at IGA for 4 weeks straight, and so I ate beef stew for a month. And all my winter eczema went away, and I wasn't cold all the time anymore. I spent about the same on a month of beef as I did on a month of iron supplements, so it also resulting in good savings :)

On balance, plant-based sources are superior (and cheaper! win-win): a 3 ounce serving of beef has 2.2mg, whereas a cup of lentils contains 6.6 (300%).

Other options include blackstrap molasses (2T = 7.2); tofu (1/2 cup = 6.6); Tempeh (1 cup = 4.5); spinach (1 cup = 6.4); kidney beans (1 cup = 5.2); lima beans (1 cup = 4.5); and even Swiss chard (1 cup = 4).

https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-high-iron-vegans

..... And that's not all! The plant-based sources are also cholesterol free, which is an important consideration given that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Plenty of good options out there for non-heme Iron foods. By [buy] any greens necessary.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:42:40 PM by evanc »