Author Topic: my eyesight improved on its own when I ditched the glasses  (Read 1053 times)

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
my eyesight improved on its own when I ditched the glasses
« on: April 06, 2024, 08:58:14 PM »
Maybe not so much "badass", you could call it "lucky".  But I did have a hunch that if I gave up my glasses my eyes might improve on their own, and it happened much faster and more significantly than I would have expected.

I'm curious if anyone else has had experience with your eyes improving on their own, especially if it was significant like it is for me.

My story:
Growing up, at the doctor's they made us look at some letters on a chart far away and I didn't realized I was supposed to tell them if the letters were blurry.  I was pretty good at figuring out what the blurry letters were because there are only so many options.  So they always said I had 20-20 vision.  At about age 21 I was driving my dad's car and put on his sunglasses which were prescription sunglasses, and suddenly I could see the crisp detail of everything - the distant treetops, the little rocks in the field along the road.  I was blown away and realized my eyes were not very good and I had been missing this my whole life.  I got glasses.

Then later at 27 when I was quitting my office job to go be in nature, I stopped wearing the glasses for a combination of reasons. 

Two years later at 29, I had been thinking about getting glasses again as I really wanted to see the forest where I lived in detail.  But I didn't do it.  But one day a few months after having those thoughts, I was lying on the deck looking up at the tall trees from underneath, and realized I could see clearly the needles in detail.  I looked around at the distant mountain top and could see that clearly too.  I was blown away.  I don't know for sure if it happened suddenly or gradually, but part of it must have progressed pretty quickly since it was within a few months of when I had thought about getting glasses.

It's been four years now, and my eyes are still great like they were right after I noticed the shift.  My right eye is really sharp and the left is a lot better than it was originally. And while I can't be sure, it seems like my left eye has been getting better over these years, because at first I noticed my right eye had become sharp but the left was still quite blurry.  I'm constantly grateful for this, it's just about the best gift I could have ever asked for.

I don't know if I was born nearsighted or if that developed due to excessive use of books and computer from a very young age.  I am still able to focus up close, at ~4 inches with my left eye and ~4.5 inches with my right.  I do know for sure that when I did get glasses, they not only allowed me to focus on very distant things, but also allowed me to focus on the computer screen 2ft away which was slightly blurry without them, and I would often wear glasses at the computer from age 21 to 27.

----

People often ask what I attribute it to.  I don't know what factors did it and how important each were, but here are some thoughts I have:
- I think not wearing the glasses was an essential first step, because if I wear glasses my eyes can only learn to be better with the glasses.
- I imagine walking through the forest all the time and looking all around at things at all distances helps exercise the eyes - better than the up close computer screen at my prior job.
- Who knows if there's some micronutrients in some of the uncommonly eaten species around here that help eyes heal.
- Someone told me that this can be a sign of a cataract coming, it could be; so far it's been 4 years of improvement.

I won't tell anyone they "should" ditch the glasses or contacts, they are essential for many people, but if you don't really need them, it might be worth trying not using them.  You might want to use them while driving even if you don't at other times.

Also of note, when I got glasses, the way I understood the test they did to determine my prescription, it seemed there was a 50/50 chance that the prescription would be on the slightly too-strong side rather than the too-weak side, thus training my eyes in the wrong direction.  I imagine if I had raised this issue I could have ensured I got a prescription on the slightly too weak side so that even with the glasses my eyes would be training themselves in the correct direction even if very slowly.  I would recommend this to anyone who gets a prescription.  And likely the doctor will suggest or tell you that they know what they're doing, be insistent.  They often overlook things in my experience.  I only got a prescription twice and didn't think of it then so I don't know what they would have said.

Anyone else seen their eyesight improve on its own?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:00:57 AM by grenzbegriff »

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
Re: my eyesight improved on its own when I ditched the glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 05:14:44 AM »
I have not experienced this but your story brought to mind a podcast episode (part of a series I listened to about how technology affects our bodies):
https://www.npr.org/2023/12/01/1213518599/the-story-behind-soaring-myopia-among-children

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 08:35:41 AM »
My eyesight has been *slowly* improving for the past several years.

Not enough to be noticeable at all - I only know because every time I go to the eye doctor the new prescription is ever so slightly weaker than the old one.

I have worn glasses since I was 10 years old, and am pretty blind without them so only take them off at night to sleep. I have absolutely no idea why my vision as been slowly improving, or even if this is a positive development or not since I have no medical training or education.

Ignorance is bliss. :)

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 08:56:39 AM »
From your description it sounds like you started out nearsighted.

I'll suggest a much less interesting theory: you may be experiencing early onset presbyopia (age-related farsightedness). This isn't always the case, but for some people presbyopia can mirror their myopia so that one somewhat offsets the other. It's a happy coincidence and doesn't always last, nor is the offset perfect. E.g. you will likely need corrective lenses for near field vision at some point.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 09:39:41 AM »

I'll suggest a much less interesting theory: you may be experiencing early onset presbyopia (age-related farsightedness). This isn't always the case, but for some people presbyopia can mirror their myopia so that one somewhat offsets the other. It's a happy coincidence and doesn't always last, nor is the offset perfect. E.g. you will likely need corrective lenses for near field vision at some point.

Thanks, I did a brief read about presbyopia.  From Google:
[presbyopia is] a gradual, age-related loss of the eyes' ability to focus actively on nearby objects.
Farsightedness usually becomes noticeable in the early to mid-40s and worsens until around age 65.

This sounds a bit different in that I haven't lost my ability to focus on things very close, but I have gained the ability to focus on things far away.  I'd be interested to read anything about presbyopia having that effect.  I couldn't find anything on Google or by asking AI.

For now I can still focus clearly on fine print at 4 inches away with my left eye, and 4.5 inches with my right so I don't seem to have lost the sharp vision up close yet if it is presbyopia.  You're right, I started out nearsighted, and as of four years ago I seem to no longer be nearsighted, but have not become farsighted [yet].

I have absolutely no idea why my vision as been slowly improving, or even if this is a positive development or not since I have no medical training or education.
I'd consider it most likely a positive development despite my lack of training.  Several years of improvement seems like a good thing.  And while it *could* be the sign of something that will be bad later, I wonder if there's any statistical evidence that this is the more likely case.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:53:33 AM by grenzbegriff »

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 09:54:24 AM »

Thanks, I did a brief read about presbyopia.  From Google:
[presbyopia is] a gradual, age-related loss of the eyes' ability to focus actively on nearby objects.
Farsightedness usually becomes noticeable in the early to mid-40s and worsens until around age 65.

This sounds a bit different in that I haven't lost my ability to focus on things very close, but I have gained the ability to focus on things far away.  I'd be interested to read anything about presbyopia having that effect.  I couldn't find anything on Google or by asking AI.

For now I can still focus clearly on fine print at 4 inches away with my left eye, and 4.5 inches with my right so I don't seem to have lost the sharp vision up close yet if it is presbyopia.  You're right, I started out nearsighted, and as of four years ago I seem to no longer be nearsighted, but have not become farsighted [yet].

My understanding though is in some cases they can somewhat cancel each other out. This doesn't always happen, often someone struggles with both near and far vision. But if the distortion is about equal on both sides it can bring your overall vision closer to 20-20, which would mean seeing fine up close and far away. Again, this isn't super common and is a happy coincidence when it happens. And it may not last as presbyopia progresses, so over time you may become more obviously farsighted.

Not saying this is for sure what's going on with you. But it seems to me a more likely cause than not wearing your glasses or certain nutrients. Nutrition can affect vision, but this is mostly due to overall health of the eye, whereas myopia is a lens issue that causes the focal point to be in front of the retina.

ETA citation: https://www.abbeglasses.com/blog/myopia-presbyopia-offset

After patients with low myopia prescription have presbyopia, they feel blurred when they wear prescription eyeglasses to see close but see more clearly and comfortably when they take off their glasses. Is it a reduction in prescription in myopia?

This is a rather particular and lucky situation; that is, the myopia prescription is equal to the presbyopia prescription.

For example, a 100-degree concave lens is needed to correct myopia, and a 100-degree convex lens to correct presbyopia so that you can see clearly without eyeglasses. But as the eyes' lens adjustment power decreases further, the presbyopia exceeds the degree of myopia, and then the presbyopia will still be presbyopia.

And highly myopic people may never be able to wait for the day when they can just offset.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:01:08 AM by FINate »

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 10:14:05 AM »
Thanks FINate that's helpful.

They go on to say:
What should I do if I am nearsighted and presbyopic?
There are three total combinations of myopia and presbyopia.

1. Myopia prescription is equal to presbyopia, where eyeglasses are not required for near vision, and only the original myopic prescription eyeglasses are needed for distance vision.
2. Myopia prescription is less than presbyopia, requiring reading glasses for near vision and myopia prescription glasses for distance vision.
3. With myopia prescription being greater than presbyopia, you need to wear myopic glasses with a slightly lower prescription when looking at near and wear standard myopia prescription glasses for distance.
Either way, you have to wear at least one pair of prescription glasses!

That doesn't seem like my situation. as I can see sharp up close and far away without glasses. 

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 12:34:46 PM »
When my cataract was growing it changed the shape of the lens just enough that I didn't need reading glasses for a while. When the cataract got worse it had to be removed so i could see at all. I believe it's called "second sight" - Google it. My brother, 83 years old, says his vision is improving too. I suspect it's the beginning of a cataract.

grenzbegriff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 01:11:54 PM »
When my cataract was growing it changed the shape of the lens just enough that I didn't need reading glasses for a while. When the cataract got worse it had to be removed so i could see at all. I believe it's called "second sight" - Google it. My brother, 83 years old, says his vision is improving too. I suspect it's the beginning of a cataract.
Thanks.  I did some more reading on this kind of second sight.  Most sources say it makes people more near-sighted as you describe, but some places say in rare cases in can improve distance vision.  I couldn't find much about duration other than a could places saying weeks or months, with rare exceptions that last longer.

How long did the improvement last for you before it got worse?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 02:25:17 PM »
My understanding though is in some cases they can somewhat cancel each other out. This doesn't always happen, often someone struggles with both near and far vision. But if the distortion is about equal on both sides it can bring your overall vision closer to 20-20, which would mean seeing fine up close and far away. Again, this isn't super common and is a happy coincidence when it happens. And it may not last as presbyopia progresses, so over time you may become more obviously farsighted.

Yep, its a thing. My mom had it happen, though it didn't help much since she had a really high prescription already. Much later, she developed cataracts and the surgery resulted in significantly improved vision. She still needs glasses, but the prescription isn't much worse than mine.

I seem to be starting to reverse my prescription as I approach 40. Too soon to tell.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 02:28:40 PM by Sibley »

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 04:04:55 PM »
Thanks.  I did some more reading on this kind of second sight.  Most sources say it makes people more near-sighted as you describe, but some places say in rare cases in can improve distance vision.  I couldn't find much about duration other than a could places saying weeks or months, with rare exceptions that last longer.

How long did the improvement last for you before it got worse?
I don't remember how long it lasted. A good long time, many months, possibly a year.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 06:52:33 PM »
Love this topic!

In my late 40s, I noticed that I and most others my age were doing the old “hold things an arm’s length away to read them”. Most people capitulated eventually and bought reading glasses. Instead I read a lot about improving/avoiding age-related eyesight declines. The exercises recommended sound like exactly your lifestyle!

They are things like:

Practice switching near and far focus (for example hold a finger near your face, bring it into focus, then look at something far away)
Get plenty of sunlight
Exercise your peripheral vision by looking in a zigzag fashion, top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, then do circles each way
Take computer screen breaks, make sure you blink sufficiently and avoid eye strain
Do “palming” (press palms to eyes) and “sunning” (close eyes in sunlight)
Do not wear glasses

I have resisted getting reading glasses and now am approaching mid-50s! I can read books easily in bright or even low light.

I can thread a needle, to my amazement, but I do see double!

Computer/screen time severely hurts my ability to change focus and destroys my near focus. I do it anyway, ha! And am not good about taking breaks anymore. However being FIREd, at least I don’t have a computer-oriented job. Still too much screen time. My primary computer addiction is reading (surprise, I’m on this forum) and I believe that is the most detrimental to your vision. Watching a video can be done more from a distance (often I’m doing chores while videos are running, more like the radio). That’s also why I prefer printed books to reading on a device.

The issue with screen time is the fixed-distance focus, lack of blinking, and possibly the blue light (jury is out on that). I also make sure I have nightshift turned on my devices, which makes everything orange-ish after sunset. I used to do this before Apple made it a thing. I had an app for it, as well as an app for taking eye breaks.

I can go on and on about this! Will add more later. Anyway the point is the science is now supporting the idea that middle-age loss of close vision due to hardening of the lens CAN be improved by working the focusing muscles!

When those new eye drops came out that help you see better I KNEW I WAS RIGHT!
https://www.clevelandeyeclinic.com/2022/03/31/vuity-eye-drops/

Also cataracts are very common and thankfully the surgery is very good for them now. I think it’s likely I’ll need that in old age as I already see some “surfer’s cataract” (barely any) on my eyes probably due to tons of time outdoors.

Oh, and as a parent, don’t get me started!!!!

Kids today need to protect their eyes, their posture, and their hearing because of overuse of devices!!!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:01:44 PM by Fru-Gal »

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 08:10:31 PM »
Same happened to one of my kids. She needed glasses as a young teen, and then didn't a few years later.

Baguettestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 01:47:50 AM »
I'm no expert, take what I'll say with a grain of salt but here's what I know:

- vitamin A plays a role in vision:

The Role of Vitamin A in Retinal Diseases

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8835581/

Vitamin A and Carotenoids

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/

Thus proper nutrition or vitamin supplements could help a little

- eyes have muscles and like every muscles they can be trained. This is what Harvard says:

"Practiced faithfully, eye exercises may actually help delay the need for glasses or contacts in some people."

But also:

"Exercising eye muscles will not eliminate the most common maladies that necessitate corrective lenses — namely, nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and presbyopia (age-related lens stiffening). Above all, eye exercises will do nothing for glaucoma and macular degeneration."

So depending on your symptoms exercising your eyes may or may not help
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/the-lowdown-on-eye-exercises

namasteyall

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 03:13:57 AM »
Anecdotally: eye exercises are believed to prevent cataracts.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 12:45:49 PM »
... I was quitting my office job to go be in nature, I stopped wearing the glasses for a combination of reasons.
Did you also stop staring at a computer or phone screen all day as part of this lifestyle shift?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »
I'm very nearsighted (have been gradually worsening since I was in kindergarten) and I stopped wearing my glasses in grade four because I didn't like how they felt and thought I looked better without them.

Results:
- My grades dropped on average a full letter across the board because I couldn't see what was going on
- My eyesight worsened a full diopter each over that year (probably unrelated, but this was the worst drop in eyesight I've experienced over my lifetime)
- Got headaches from constant straining and squinting to see things.

YMMV with the 'no glasses' plan.  :P

(I have a very vivid recollection of picking up my new glasses the year afterwards and being shocked that the green carpet in the optometrists office actually had little designs on it.)

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 03:10:02 PM »
... I was quitting my office job to go be in nature, I stopped wearing the glasses for a combination of reasons.
Did you also stop staring at a computer or phone screen all day as part of this lifestyle shift?

I was going to suggest the same thing.  My eyesight was terrible after law school-- this was back in the day when we mainly read hard cover books with teeny type- and then improved.  I attribute it mostly to prolonged eye strain rather than nutrition or exercises.