Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901338 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Is there a timeline for receiving the copy of the credit report if it didn't post? Do they email you to tell you that a payment is coming, or does it just show up in your bank account?

The comparison between old and new company suggested we get paid in 4 weeks with the new company, but I'm getting close to 8 weeks and the status is still unknown to me.

Should be within 4 weeks, or just thereafter, of your statement close.

Everyone's January payments should have been made, and February payments should be any time, plus or minus a week, I'd guess.

If you'd like, you can PM me your email address and the date of the sale, and I can look into it for you.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Is there a timeline for receiving the copy of the credit report if it didn't post? Do they email you to tell you that a payment is coming, or does it just show up in your bank account?

The comparison between old and new company suggested we get paid in 4 weeks with the new company, but I'm getting close to 8 weeks and the status is still unknown to me.

Should be within 4 weeks, or just thereafter, of your statement close.

Everyone's January payments should have been made, and February payments should be any time, plus or minus a week, I'd guess.

If you'd like, you can PM me your email address and the date of the sale, and I can look into it for you.

This week I asked the owner of the new company about this, and he agreed that we could ping them about payment after "AU add + statement close date + 1 month + 1 week" or roughly 4-5 weeks.  I've pinged him about my first two sales, and in both cases received a direct deposit payment within ~3 days, but in both cases I got the impression that if I hadn't pinged them I'd still be waiting to be paid.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
This is another case of things that were being done manually and slid to poorly handled as the got overwhelmed (mostly with getting the portal up, but also with the Mustachians enrolling).

The owner was, basically as a daily task, looking at AUs from 4 weeks before, verifying they posted, and sending payments.

That sort of slid as they got busier.

So he batched them, and sat down and spent a whole day a week or two ago processing all January payments (around 4 weeks after Jan ended, but likely 5-6 weeks after most of the adds).

Definitely not as expected.

I've pinged him about the February ones, to see his status on that.  I believe some Feb ones have been paid, others will be soon.  I'll update when I get more info.

But all January ones have been paid (if you have a January one that was not, and you were not given any info about it not posting, PM me and I can look into it for you), and February ones should be soon, hopefully.

And now that most sales (and soon all) are through the portal, that will become automated as well, and more efficient (they can check it posted, mark that, and it can automatically notify payroll and issue the payment).

So soon a lot of this manual stuff that was efficient enough, and then become very inefficient, will be fully automated and much quicker.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
This week I asked the owner of the new company about this, and he agreed that we could ping them about payment after "AU add + statement close date + 1 month + 1 week" or roughly 4-5 weeks.  I've pinged him about my first two sales, and in both cases received a direct deposit payment within ~3 days, but in both cases I got the impression that if I hadn't pinged them I'd still be waiting to be paid.
Does that mean you get two payments per AU add since they are added for 2 months?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I asked about that as I had two users on my Capital One for two months, the answer is no. Leaving them on there for more than one month is more about keeping your card from getting shut down than anything. Some companies are more inclined to shut your account down much more quickly if they see you adding/removing people that frequently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
You are paid for a tradeline sale, one AU for two months. They are paying to get two months, and you may have to refund them if removed early.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
You are paid for a tradeline sale, one AU for two months. They are paying to get two months, and you may have to refund them if removed early.

Correct, and if you read through the stuff they sent (royal) you, that's exactly what they say about the commissions - they're 1 AU for 2 months.

They also market that on their website as a benefit to their customers.  If you're trying to boost your credit to buy a house, you may have to deal with inspections, lenders, closing agents, repairs -  all of which can slow down the process.  If it were me, I wouldn't want to try to fit that into a 30-day window; a 60-day window would be much easier.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
The two AUs I added way back at the beginning of Jan are still on my account. I have not been told to remove them yet. 2 months seems to be the minimum. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The two AUs I added way back at the beginning of Jan are still on my account. I have not been told to remove them yet. 2 months seems to be the minimum.

My suspicion is that they previously didn't have a system in place to remove AUs if new ones aren't being added.

Before, under the manual system, they'd email you "remove AUs X, Y, Z" when you got a new sale.  That was fine, when they were selling lines on cards every month.  Now with more cards, you might not see a sale for months, meaning the AU may sit on the card longer than necessary.

I may be wrong, and they may send out "remove AU" emails without having a new add, but all my "remove" emails have come with a new add, so I suspect if they have no new add for you, you don't get a remove email.

I'm checking in with them to confirm this, and try and get a fix, and make sure the portal either has a date you can remove after (like old company).

EDIT: You will indeed see on the portal information on when to remove the AUs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:41:17 PM by arebelspy »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
I know the explanation I received was that premature removal of an AU was viewed as more suspicious activity by the CC companies, so it makes sense that they are not removing them until they have new AUs to replace them.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
has it been determined that we will NO LONGER receive email notification we need to add an AU but that we should periodically log into the online dashboard and see if they have assigned us any TASKS?

When I sign in, I see my TASKS tab has a lot of RED letters, but it doesn't appear I have anything to add.

My next card of the cards in my queue has a date of the 21st so maybe this will be the month!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I know the explanation I received was that premature removal of an AU was viewed as more suspicious activity by the CC companies, so it makes sense that they are not removing them until they have new AUs to replace them.

Yep, that's one big thing. Removing someone earlier is more suspicious than later.  Leaving them for a few months is better.

They want multiple months of the score bump as well, and pay for that.  So you will see on the portal when to remove them.

has it been determined that we will NO LONGER receive email notification we need to add an AU but that we should periodically log into the online dashboard and see if they have assigned us any TASKS?

No, that is not the case.

You should still get an email, it will just be a notification from the portal that you have an AU to add, and then you'll go log in, rather than a manual email with all the AU info.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

My suspicion is that they previously didn't have a system in place to remove AUs if new ones aren't being added.

Before, under the manual system, they'd email you "remove AUs X, Y, Z" when you got a new sale.  That was fine, when they were selling lines on cards every month.  Now with more cards, you might not see a sale for months, meaning the AU may sit on the card longer than necessary.

I may be wrong, and they may send out "remove AU" emails without having a new add, but all my "remove" emails have come with a new add, so I suspect if they have no new add for you, you don't get a remove email.

I'm checking in with them to confirm this, and try and get a fix, and make sure the portal either has a date you can remove after (like old company).

EDIT: You will indeed see on the portal information on when to remove the AUs.

I figured that was the case. Thanks for the validation.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache

When I sign in, I see my TASKS tab has a lot of RED letters, but it doesn't appear I have anything to add.

That's a good point. With all the RED and current formatting it seems like the tasks page is SCREAMING FOR ATTENTION.... that there are no tasks...

Leni2010

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have my info to sign up ready to go, but there are two things holding me back.  I know there's a separate thread for it, but still unsure how to report the income and how it will be taxed.  More relevant to this thread is are any of you concerned that all of these AUs have your home address?  Is there any way to scrub it from their credit report once they're done getting their boost?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
More relevant to this thread is are any of you concerned that all of these AUs have your home address?  Is there any way to scrub it from their credit report once they're done getting their boost?

I am not.  All of the AUs I had from old TL co were from other states also.  You could get a PO BOX for this if you were truly concerned.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I have my info to sign up ready to go, but there are two things holding me back.  I know there's a separate thread for it, but still unsure how to report the income and how it will be taxed.  More relevant to this thread is are any of you concerned that all of these AUs have your home address?  Is there any way to scrub it from their credit report once they're done getting their boost?

I don't personally turn down free money because I'll have to pay some of it in taxes.  Even if you only keep, say, 60% of it, and pay 40%.. why wouldn't you take the 60% of something, rather than 100% of nothing?  In any case, you'll get a W9 from the company, and you'll report it on your taxes.

I think your address falls off their report after a bit, yes.  No, I don't worry about it, but you could get a PO box and write off the expense.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
In any case, you'll get a W9 from the company, and you'll report it on your taxes.

You send your W9 to the company. The company sends you a 1099-MISC.

sol

• Walrus Stache
So do we have any idea about when chase and BofA cards might be viable again?  Never?

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
It's been radio silence on communication from the new company for a few days now. I saw an AU show up under "My Cards" but did not have anything under "My Tasks" and no email notifications, so I was wondering when I should add that new person. Submitted a help ticket and emailed customer service with no luck.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
So do we have any idea about when chase and BofA cards might be viable again?  Never?

From what I gather Chase has always been very iffy in terms of not getting your cards shut down. I am not sure a lot of folks use their Chase cards. I don't because I enjoy their travel rewards. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
It's been radio silence on communication from the new company for a few days now. I saw an AU show up under "My Cards" but did not have anything under "My Tasks" and no email notifications, so I was wondering when I should add that new person. Submitted a help ticket and emailed customer service with no luck.

Unless you are near the closing date for the card, just wait. The order could be cancelled or payment not go through.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
In any case, you'll get a W9 from the company, and you'll report it on your taxes.

You send your W9 to the company. The company sends you a 1099-MISC.

Hah, yes, that even. Thanks for the correction.  :)

They're likely to start tentatively testing B of A again soon with just one slot.  Old company is already using B of A again.

See earlier discussion.  Until you see something in My Tasks (and you should get an email when this happens), there is nothing for you to do (and no reason for the company to contact you).  :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Some of you may still get emails the old way, with AU info. These won't be in the portal. You'll know if you get it.

That's because old orders made in the old system made pre-portal launch will need to be finished out that way.  All new orders are through the portal.

Either way, you'll get an email (to check the portal, or with the AU info), just letting you know that if it's the direct email (not just the notification you have a sale in the portal), it won't show up in the portal.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache

The old company doesn't accept new BofA cards. The new company accepts them but marks them as "resting" meaning you can't use them for selling tradelines.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

The old company doesn't accept new BofA cards. The new company accepts them but marks them as "resting" meaning you can't use them for selling tradelines.

This is the latest:
They're likely to start tentatively testing B of A again soon with just one slot.  Old company is already using B of A again.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
3rd month has gone by and still no sales.  Now I wait until the 1st of the month for my next active card to cycle through.

Been fully signed up since 1/2/17

Fingers crossed

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a credit card churner with 0 credit card balances, but no less than 20 credit cards opened at a time. I have several with high limits, $20-30k that have been opened more than 10 years, so this seems fairly interesting to me. I guess one big thing I worry about is how do I know these people haven't charged off debt with this creditor before. I know from the bit of reading I've done in this thread that AMEX cards aren't eligible, but that's exactly what gets you FR'ed and shut down for GOOD, adding an authorized user who charged off AMEX debt. Similar with Chase AFAIK.

The post a bit up thread about the strange call with Capital One sounds exactly like what happened. Not to mention the expensive algorithms and link analysis these companies purchase to detect fraud are going to find cards that have been sitting in a "sock drawer" and all of the sudden have small charges with new AU's and flag them in no time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I'm a credit card churner with 0 credit card balances, but no less than 20 credit cards opened at a time. I have several with high limits, $20-30k that have been opened more than 10 years, so this seems fairly interesting to me. I guess one big thing I worry about is how do I know these people haven't charged off debt with this creditor before. I know from the bit of reading I've done in this thread that AMEX cards aren't eligible, but that's exactly what gets you FR'ed and shut down for GOOD, adding an authorized user who charged off AMEX debt. Similar with Chase AFAIK.

The post a bit up thread about the strange call with Capital One sounds exactly like what happened.

With how infrequently cards are cancelled (Mustachians combined have made well over six figures in the last six months on this, and we've had 2 cards cancelled, both B of A, both this month, due to a B of A audit that was going on).

The CC companies don't care if the AU has a charged off debt from them. They won't open new credit for them, but they don't care if you add them as an AU, simply because you are then responsible for the debt, since you are responsible for any charges the AU makes.  So even if the CC company views them as a deadbeat that didn't pay their bills, it's not like they can skip out on this payment, since you've agreed to pay it. (And, of course, keep in mind for your peace of mind the AU has no way to actually make a charge).

Not to mention the expensive algorithms and link analysis these companies purchase to detect fraud are going to find cards that have been sitting in a "sock drawer" and all of the sudden have small charges with new AU's and flag them in no time.

In theory, yes.

They don't seem to bother.

That could change one day, but for now, I'll take the money.

If it makes you worried, definitely don't do it.  There's no reason to be awake at night over money.  :)

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
ARebelSpy,
First of all, thanks for turning us on to this.
Second, dude, are you sick of dealing with this?  Just responding on this thread looks like a full time job.

Shade00

• Stubble
Got my first email to process an add today. Guess I will give it a go.

EDIT: And it's done. Clicked complete through the portal so it shows as being added to the card. The portal still shows my other Discover slot as being filled, but I haven't yet received a request to add it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:30:27 AM by Shade00 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
ARebelSpy,
Second, dude, are you sick of dealing with this?  Just responding on this thread looks like a full time job.

referrals are worth money too.  plus he's retired.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache

EDIT: And it's done. Clicked complete through the portal so it shows as being added to the card. The portal still shows my other Discover slot as being filled, but I haven't yet received a request to add it.

When did you finish your paperwork?  Still patiently waiting myself but I know they probably have 1,000,000,000 cards to fill before they get to mine.

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'll add another DP now that I have one: just got my first Add after signing up in late December. I got an email notification that I needed to take action in the portal, as expected. So everything appears to be running smoothly now, at least for me.

Card is a 20-month-old Barclay with a $11k limit.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
I'll add another DP now that I have one: just got my first Add after signing up in late December. I got an email notification that I needed to take action in the portal, as expected. So everything appears to be running smoothly now, at least for me.

I think sales might be picking up.  I have had a few sales both with the old and new companies on two of my cards.  I just got a sale yesterday on a third card that had never had sales before ($25K USBank ~16 months old).

I still wonder how the company allocates sales across all our cards.  Doesn't really matter much, but I was an engineer before and like to know how things work.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

The post a bit up thread about the strange call with Capital One sounds exactly like what happened.

With how infrequently cards are cancelled (Mustachians combined have made well over six figures in the last six months on this, and we've had 2 cards cancelled, both B of A, both this month, due to a B of A audit that was going on).

The CC companies don't care if the AU has a charged off debt from them. They won't open new credit for them, but they don't care if you add them as an AU, simply because you are then responsible for the debt, since you are responsible for any charges the AU makes.  So even if the CC company views them as a deadbeat that didn't pay their bills, it's not like they can skip out on this payment, since you've agreed to pay it. (And, of course, keep in mind for your peace of mind the AU has no way to actually make a charge).
Credit card companies really do care, which is why there's probably been issues with Chase. Again, AMEX has the most aggressive fraud detection and is the strictest, but their algorithms and financial review team/fraud team both find relationships to charge-offs incriminating. They have been known to close accounts just for sharing an address with someone who charged off. That being said, I don't think it isn't worth trying out. I don't care if my nearly 20-year-old USAA card is closed.

Not to mention the expensive algorithms and link analysis these companies purchase to detect fraud are going to find cards that have been sitting in a "sock drawer" and all of the sudden have small charges with new AU's and flag them in no time.

In theory, yes.

They don't seem to bother.

That could change one day, but for now, I'll take the money.

If it makes you worried, definitely don't do it.  There's no reason to be awake at night over money.  :)

I sent you a PM. I am interested in doing this for sure. Please refer me!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:24:29 PM by TWoK »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
ARebelSpy,

Haha.  No, I enjoy it.

Plus, I probably reply to the thread once to twice a day, plus PMs.  Maybe 5 minutes per day.

And have done so from: Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, The Philippines, New Zealand, and Japan.

If you know of any other "full time jobs" that are enjoyable, help other people make money, take about 5 minutes per day, and can be done anywhere in the world, please let me know.  I'm retired, but definitely willing to take on maybe 2-3 more full time jobs that fit that description.  But no more.  ;)

Nice!

The first add (and then the first payment) is such a good feeling.  :)

Took me a second to figure out you meant "data point."  That's not usually what those letters mean.  ;)

When did you finish your paperwork?  Still patiently waiting myself but I know they probably have 1,000,000,000 cards to fill before they get to mine.

When paperwork was finished is 100% irrelevant now, with the portal up.  :)

As long as your cards are enrolled in the portal, they're available for sale, and it doesn't matter if your paperwork was done and you've been with the company since 2011, or if you finished the paperwork two weeks ago and put your cards in.

All sales now (well, besides a few stragglers already made under the old system and just being completed, but all new sales) are through the portal.  If your cards are in there, you're good, and when the paperwork was done doesn't matter.

I still wonder how the company allocates sales across all our cards.  Doesn't really matter much, but I was an engineer before and like to know how things work.

They put all the cards out (with generic info: issuer, limit, closing date, age) to the AUs, who then pick one.  It's up to the AUs to pick, the company doesn't "allocate" sales.

Credit card companies really do care, which is why there's probably been issues with Chase. Again, AMEX has the most aggressive fraud detection and is the strictest, but their algorithms and financial review team/fraud team both find relationships to charge-offs incriminating. They have been known to close accounts just for sharing an address with someone who charged off. That being said, I don't think it isn't worth trying out. I don't care if my nearly 20-year-old USAA card is closed.

Amex doesn't work because of how it reports (when you add an AU, it reports on their CC with the date they were added as the opening date, not the original opening date, so it looks like a brand new card, even if it's 10 years old).  Has nothing to do with their fraud, and if they changed that tomorrow, Amex would be on the table.

That being said, you're right that some companies care more than others (e.g. Chase).  Some (Barclays, for example) don't seem to care at all.  Again, that could change, so you need to be okay with a card being closed.

I sent you a PM. I am interested in doing this for sure. Please refer me!

I did not get a PM from you, though I did get an email through the forum email portal (not PM--they're different icons under the username, which is why I put a link to the PM page). I haven't processed my inbox yet today, if that was you, I will reply soon. :)

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Took me a second to figure out you meant "data point."  That's not usually what those letters mean.  ;)

Haha! I guess I've been churning too long—DP only means one thing to me now.

dlawson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just completed the add on that Barclay. I forgot to give them the home address for the AU, even though it was listed in the portal. I assume it's not an issue as long as the SSN and name are there and entered correctly, but we'll see.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Got a sale today! Thanks ARS!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Just completed the add on that Barclay. I forgot to give them the home address for the AU, even though it was listed in the portal. I assume it's not an issue as long as the SSN and name are there and entered correctly, but we'll see.

I'd call and get it added. Worth the 5 minute call to help ensure making $200 (or whatever). It may work, but it may not.

ZagNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I signed up with new company a month ago with a 20k limit, 8 year old Cap One card. No bites yet. :(.
Sadly I am in the same boat; Citi card @ $13,200 issued 7/10 and a Discover card @ $29,500 issued 7/14. It's only been a month so although no bites before either closing dates the prior weekend, I am still hopeful and along for the ride!
Got my first add, finally! It was on the Citi card so I added the AU online to ensure all the information was accurate and followed that up with a phone call to provide the SSN. Hopefully this is the first sale of many, thank you ARS!

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone that is using an EIN, have you gotten adds/paid without adding your SSN to the profile section of the online portal? I tried entering my EIN for the SSN field but it wouldn't recognize it as a valid SSN. I have submitted my W-9 with my EIN on it.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
Anyone that is using an EIN, have you gotten adds/paid without adding your SSN to the profile section of the online portal? I tried entering my EIN for the SSN field but it wouldn't recognize it as a valid SSN. I have submitted my W-9 with my EIN on it.

I provided an EIN initially and got my first add this month.

tj

• Handlebar Stache

I provided an EIN initially and got my first add this month.

I didn't add that info to the portal. I've been paid, but i haven't had any adds through the portal yet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Got my first add, finally! It was on the Citi card so I added the AU online to ensure all the information was accurate and followed that up with a phone call to provide the SSN. Hopefully this is the first sale of many, thank you ARS!

Nice.  Glad to hear they're starting to roll in for people who haven't had some yet.  :)

Was that part of the signup for the portal?  I didn't go in and fill out any profile info after signing up, IIRC.  Just added the CCs to that tab.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
I just received 3 cards for my new AUs (2 for my Barlay card and 1 for my Cap One card).  I believe the company owner suggested that I activate them and make charges on them in a "random" manner.  But I saw that Rebel has never activated any of his cards (right, Joe?).  So I'm not sure what to do.  What have others done?

Thanks in advance.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
I have my first sale pending with new TL co.  For old TL co, I never activated or used the AU cards.  I always shredded them (when they were actually delivered - some get returned by USPS, it seems).

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Excellent! I just received my first add through the portal - I noticed a few days ago that there was a name listed under my Capital One card, but just received the email notification today. Looking forward to a more automated approach!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
I received my first two adds through the portal today, thanks ARS!
I added them online first and then I called in the SSN's on two different phone calls, about 30 min apart from each other.
On the second call they asked me to specify relationship, which is something they never had asked me about before.
Had I had more time, I would have waited, but my statement date is tomorrow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!