Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1928186 times)

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #6300 on: February 16, 2024, 12:11:17 PM »
What's the current situation regarding AU cards being sent out by Barclay?

(1) Is there a checkbox to tell them not to send at all?

(2) If not: do they put the AU name on the mailer?

Thanks for any info. :)

Yes, there's a checkbox to tell them to NOT send. Also, yes, the AU name is on the mailer - same as all banks (at least all banks I'm aware of).

Glad to hear it can be headed off entirely!

Thanks! :)

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6301 on: February 16, 2024, 12:30:04 PM »

Yes, there's a checkbox to tell them to NOT send. Also, yes, the AU name is on the mailer - same as all banks (at least all banks I'm aware of).

No problem. BTW the answer to (2) - I typed exactly what I thought you meant by "mailer" - meaning, the mailed card - will have the AU's name. I just now realized you were maybe asking about the actual "envelope" when referring to the "mailer"...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 12:42:19 PM by WayDownSouth »

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6302 on: February 16, 2024, 12:30:40 PM »

Citibank annoyingly does have the AUs name on it most of the time.

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6303 on: February 16, 2024, 12:49:49 PM »

Isn't it nice to know that the institutions who manage all of our money and personal information basically operate with no permanent set of rules and constatly have errors or changes on the way things are executed depending which rep you ask, which bank you visit, or which position the moon is in? LOL..

You'd think they could be more consistent. They're very consistent and precise with any sort of fees or charges, that much I'm sure of!

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6304 on: February 16, 2024, 01:06:04 PM »

Isn't it nice to know that the institutions who manage all of our money and personal information basically operate with no permanent set of rules and constatly have errors or changes on the way things are executed depending which rep you ask, which bank you visit, or which position the moon is in? LOL..

You'd think they could be more consistent. They're very consistent and precise with any sort of fees or charges, that much I'm sure of!

Yes the combination of having the AUs name on the envelope, and having the same credit card number as the account holder is not the best security protocol imo. 

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6305 on: February 16, 2024, 01:32:02 PM »

Yes the combination of having the AUs name on the envelope, and having the same credit card number as the account holder is not the best security protocol imo.

Exactly but not all lenders do that. I've believe I've witnessed some lenders change how they handle it regarding the matching card numbers over time, as well as how they address the envelope. But I'm not sure if a single lender ever changed both processes at once, nor do I care. Either way it's sloppy practice on their part to issue matching card #'s.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
« Reply #6306 on: February 16, 2024, 02:12:39 PM »

No problem. BTW the answer to (2) - I typed exactly what I thought you meant by "mailer" - meaning, the mailed card - will have the AU's name. I just now realized you were maybe asking about the actual "envelope" when referring to the "mailer"...

Yes, I meant the envelope, or whatever mailing contraption would convey the dreaded plastic-based item.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #6307 on: February 17, 2024, 06:03:34 AM »
I woke up this morning to an email from CapitalOne that someone changed my address and phone number on my account.  I logged in and sure enough, it was true, plus they also added an email and phone number. I Googled the mailing address and it does not even appear to exist. I use this card for "Old Company" and it does not look like one of the AUs I added. I checked the password and sure enough, it was one that was compromised in a data breech last year and I never updated it! Anyway, got things straightened out with CapOne and they are sending a new card.

Updating to say someone got in there and changed the address, phone number, and email address back to the fraudulent one. I got in and switched it back to my own, but how does this happen a second time in one day, especially after I changed the password?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 03:55:20 PM by frozen »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6308 on: February 18, 2024, 02:55:37 PM »
I woke up this morning to an email from CapitalOne that someone changed my address and phone number on my account.  I logged in and sure enough, it was true, plus they also added an email and phone number. I Googled the mailing address and it does not even appear to exist. I use this card for "Old Company" and it does not look like one of the AUs I added. I checked the password and sure enough, it was one that was compromised in a data breech last year and I never updated it! Anyway, got things straightened out with CapOne and they are sending a new card.

Updating to say someone got in there and changed the address, phone number, and email address back to the fraudulent one. I got in and switched it back to my own, but how does this happen a second time in one day, especially after I changed the password?

The second change is worrisome for sure!  Did you talk to their fraud or security team again?  If not, you might consider it.

I am not too familiar with CapOne credit cards, but perhaps they allow multiple logins.  Maybe the fraudster made a login for himself.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #6309 on: February 18, 2024, 08:41:59 PM »

The second change is worrisome for sure!  Did you talk to their fraud or security team again?  If not, you might consider it.

I am not too familiar with CapOne credit cards, but perhaps they allow multiple logins.  Maybe the fraudster made a login for himself.

It wasn’t an AU card so I don’t see how someone would be able to make a second log-in. I’m thinking it was a hacker or some kind of inside job. Since I don’t use this card, I locked it and set up every alert possible. I also changed the user name this time as well. I didn’t call CapOne a second time because they were not that helpful the first time. Hopefully this is the end of it!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #6310 on: February 18, 2024, 10:06:15 PM »
As a general rule, before I enroll any card for piggybacking, I'll turn on all the alerts and notifications and limits I can.  I've never had an AU + fraud related issue yet, but I figure it can't hurt and might help.

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6311 on: February 19, 2024, 01:04:52 PM »
As a general rule, before I enroll any card for piggybacking, I'll turn on all the alerts and notifications and limits I can.  I've never had an AU + fraud related issue yet, but I figure it can't hurt and might help.

I second that. I also use two-step verification on all accounts, and a recovery email account with very complex passwords which I only use as recovery accounts for banking - not any other types of accounts/subscriptions/services, etc.... The recovery email account is NOT connected to my banking as a recovery account, only to the primary email which I use solely for banking. As much of a hassle as it is to enter a code every single time I enter a banking app I've never had a genuine fraud problem.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #6312 on: February 19, 2024, 02:02:43 PM »

I second that. I also use two-step verification on all accounts, and a recovery email account with very complex passwords which I only use as recovery accounts for banking - not any other types of accounts/subscriptions/services, etc.... The recovery email account is NOT connected to my banking as a recovery account, only to the primary email which I use solely for banking. As much of a hassle as it is to enter a code every single time I enter a banking app I've never had a genuine fraud problem.

Great tactics here! Thanks! This is unbelievable but this guy got in and changed my address, phone number, and email address for a 3rd time and requested a card to be sent! I called CapitalOne's fraud department and asked how this could possibly happen for a 3rd time and they think he has enough information about me to bypass the standard log-in to the account. I was able to place a lock on the online access to the account which cannot be unlocked unless I call and go through verifications. They also suggested I place a fraud alert on my credit report. If I place a fraud alert, will it have any effect on AUs being added or posted?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6313 on: February 19, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »
@frozen  If I were you, I would do the fraud alerts.  I don't think that will impact your AU's, but I hope someone else can confirm.

I recently had fraud (unrelated to piggybacking).  I was surprised to learn that someone can apply for a credit with only your last 4 digits of the SSN!  The rep at the bank was able to tell me what data of mine they had and used to apply, which was also helpful.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #6314 on: February 19, 2024, 04:01:55 PM »
@frozen  If I were you, I would do the fraud alerts.  I don't think that will impact your AU's, but I hope someone else can confirm.

I recently had fraud (unrelated to piggybacking).  I was surprised to learn that someone can apply for a credit with only your last 4 digits of the SSN!  The rep at the bank was able to tell me what data of mine they had and used to apply, which was also helpful.

Sorry to hear about your fraud situation.
I heard back from one of the tradeline companies that placing a fraud alert will have no impact on AU postings so I went ahead and did it.

The CapitalOne rep told me that someone can log into the account with different credentials and bypass the user name and password. The rep also sald that someone submitted an ID to them today, which was a Drivers License or state ID.

Then I read this article that the credit card company with the worst customer service is acquiring the credit card company with the best customer service: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/capital-one-acquiring-discover-financial-services-report-says.html

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6315 on: February 19, 2024, 04:18:17 PM »
@frozen

The CapitalOne rep told me that someone can log into the account with different credentials and bypass the user name and password. The rep also sald that someone submitted an ID to them today, which was a Drivers License or state ID.

This is the most ridiculous thing I thing I've read regarding bad banking in a long time. Let me get this right:

Someone can login to my account using "different credentials"? If they know this, why in the F@CK is it still possible? It's so ridiculous I want to laugh my ass off, but it's not even funny. And also, I am literally not surprised because literally nothing surprises me anymore. Basically they're telling you

"well, your username and password are required for you to login to your account and access your money....... but, they're only for you.... and, they're completely useless in protecting your account. We're well aware of this. Is there anything else we can assist you with today?"

Absolutely unreal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 04:21:45 PM by WayDownSouth »

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #6316 on: February 19, 2024, 08:41:04 PM »
@frozen

This is the most ridiculous thing I thing I've read regarding bad banking in a long time. Let me get this right:

Someone can login to my account using "different credentials"? If they know this, why in the F@CK is it still possible? It's so ridiculous I want to laugh my ass off, but it's not even funny. And also, I am literally not surprised because literally nothing surprises me anymore. Basically they're telling you

"well, your username and password are required for you to login to your account and access your money....... but, they're only for you.... and, they're completely useless in protecting your account. We're well aware of this. Is there anything else we can assist you with today?"

Absolutely unreal.

Exactly!
I have online access turned off but it looked like you could log into CapOne with just a social security number, last name and birthdate. (anything an identity thief would have.) Can anyone else confirm?
Is there any other bank besides CapitalOne that allows this alternative log-in? And now Capital One is going to acquire Discover and ruin their security and customer service too!
I’m ready to cancel CapitalOne over this. I have not experienced this issue with any other credit card company.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:09:42 AM by frozen »

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6317 on: February 20, 2024, 12:47:14 PM »

Great tactics here! Thanks! This is unbelievable but this guy got in and changed my address, phone number, and email address for a 3rd time and requested a card to be sent! I called CapitalOne's fraud department and asked how this could possibly happen for a 3rd time and they think he has enough information about me to bypass the standard log-in to the account. I was able to place a lock on the online access to the account which cannot be unlocked unless I call and go through verifications. They also suggested I place a fraud alert on my credit report. If I place a fraud alert, will it have any effect on AUs being added or posted?

Thanks.. Just to clarify, in case I can make it easier to understand:

- I use only one email for all my bank accounts. This email is used for nothing else, ever. Also, 2-factor authentication is enabled here.
- That email mentioned above (which I use for banking only), has a recovery email (in case I lose access to the previous account) which is used for absolutely nothing else than a recovery email - it's not connected in any way to my banking or bank accounts. It uses 2-factor authentication.

By doing those two things, and by setting the two-factor to your phone, you can be pretty secure. Keep the logins for both accounts (and all bank accounts) on paper somewhere. Back up your phone to the cloud - this way, IF, for some reason you lose your phone, you can remotely wipe it (be sure to have that configuration setup & ready too) and still get access your accounts safely from another device.

Do NOT save your banking logins in your phone, or in your laptop/desktop. Instead, use fingerprint/facial recognition for them on mobile and enter them manually if you do it by laptop/desktop. Yes, it's a pain in the ass as I said, but you drastically decreased the chances of being hacked AND if you lose your phone, there is a lot less potential that you'll need to close accounts, which will affect your active tradelines when you have to cancel them because all your accounts were hacked and you require new cards & card numbers, etc...

Even without tradelines, it's something that everyone should practice. Nobody wants their $ messed with, and in the age of technology and scamming it's just too risky to not have these things in place. Even if you're extremely careful, without these measures in place you greatly increase your risk of a problem at some point or another.

It's a hassle when you're in a rush to constantly do 2-factor, but the extra time it takes offers a lot of peace of mind.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6318 on: February 20, 2024, 07:32:41 PM »
Yes, it's a pain in the ass as I said, but you drastically decreased the chances of being hacked AND if you lose your phone, there is a lot less potential that you'll need to close accounts, which will affect your active tradelines when you have to cancel them because all your accounts were hacked and you require new cards & card numbers, etc...

I have had one occasion to request a new card and account number with active AUs on it.  I don't recall the reason; it may have been because a card got lost in the mail and the CC company offered it.

I received a new card for myself with a new number, and also new AU cards as well.  Cards posted, got paid, no issues.

It's possible in some scenarios that a problem might occur around fraud and AUs, but it's not guaranteed.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6319 on: February 21, 2024, 09:16:21 AM »
Question: if i product change a Chase card that i'm using for TLs (e.g. freedom to sapphire), will everything else stay the same? E.g. existing AUs, credit limit, credit age etc? Or is it better not to change those cards?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6320 on: February 21, 2024, 09:30:11 AM »
Question: if i product change a Chase card that i'm using for TLs (e.g. freedom to sapphire), will everything else stay the same? E.g. existing AUs, credit limit, credit age etc? Or is it better not to change those cards?

I know for a fact that the credit limit and age stay the same.  I assume the AUs stay on through a product change but am not 100% certain.  I would assume that you would get the new card and the CC company would also send new AU cards as well.

I would feel perfectly comfortable doing a product change with AUs on a card.

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6321 on: February 21, 2024, 11:29:19 AM »
Yes, it's a pain in the ass as I said, but you drastically decreased the chances of being hacked AND if you lose your phone, there is a lot less potential that you'll need to close accounts, which will affect your active tradelines when you have to cancel them because all your accounts were hacked and you require new cards & card numbers, etc...

I have had one occasion to request a new card and account number with active AUs on it.  I don't recall the reason; it may have been because a card got lost in the mail and the CC company offered it.

I received a new card for myself with a new number, and also new AU cards as well.  Cards posted, got paid, no issues.

It's possible in some scenarios that a problem might occur around fraud and AUs, but it's not guaranteed.

You got lucky! Or, your bank had a process already in place that wouldn't cause the problems I'm concerned about. That's how all banks should work.

I agree with you (and obviously since you had that first hand experience) that it's not guaranteed but IMO better safe than sorry. Someone could go 20 years with no security in place and have zero issues.. I'm actually surprised that situation worked out for you so smoothly without affecting anything, which bank was it?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6322 on: February 21, 2024, 02:54:43 PM »

You got lucky! Or, your bank had a process already in place that wouldn't cause the problems I'm concerned about. That's how all banks should work.

I agree with you (and obviously since you had that first hand experience) that it's not guaranteed but IMO better safe than sorry. Someone could go 20 years with no security in place and have zero issues.. I'm actually surprised that situation worked out for you so smoothly without affecting anything, which bank was it?

I don't recall offhand.  It was one of the major ones and I recall having AUs on it.  So it would have been one of Capital One, Citi, or Chase.

I understand there is a concern about fraud and identity theft in general and that can be heightened with AUs.  I think it's also possible to go overboard the other way and waste time and energy trying to do everything to prevent any possible risk.  I think there's some amount of reasonable effort people should expend.  I've done that for myself.  And everyone gets to decide where their risk/reward tradeoff lies for them.  But I don't think it's ever possible to drive the risk to zero.

I also think that the Capital One representative saying there was another way into an account was probably somewhat unclear and the ensuing conversation discussing it here vastly overstates the risk.  I was able to confirm that there is a username recovery feature at Capital One which does require last name, full SSN, and birthday.  If you provide that information accurately, it tells you your username and gives you a chance to reset your password - but doing that requires either the CVV on the card or 2FA.  This is not an alternate login path; it's a normal username/password recovery process that exists at pretty much every financial institution I've ever dealt with.

If all of that info of mine got out there and I were concerned about the security of my Capital One CC account, I'd just call and talk with the fraud department.  It'd be a hassle, but I wouldn't be responsible for any charges and none of the fraudulent charges would impact my credit history or score.

I have heard all of the stories about people's credit history being ruined, or identity thieves stealing their house title, or whatever.  It probably does happen.  But I think the identity and mortgage theft companies dramatize and play up the risk.  It hasn't happened to any serious degree to me, my family members, or anyone I know.

But again, if a person is too concerned, then maybe piggybacking in general is not a good fit for them.  And again, everyone gets to decide for themselves on the risk/reward tradeoff.

ETA:  I also got an email confirming my username activity at Capital One within a few minutes of me playing around with it, with the usual verbiage of "This happened, if it's not you please call us immediately, here's our fraud number."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 02:56:37 PM by secondcor521 »

WayDownSouth

• Bristles
« Reply #6323 on: February 21, 2024, 09:56:56 PM »

I don't recall offhand.  It was one of the major ones and I recall having AUs on it.  So it would have been one of Capital One, Citi, or Chase.

I understand there is a concern about fraud and identity theft in general and that can be heightened with AUs.  I think it's also possible to go overboard the other way and waste time and energy trying to do everything to prevent any possible risk.  I think there's some amount of reasonable effort people should expend.  I've done that for myself.  And everyone gets to decide where their risk/reward tradeoff lies for them.  But I don't think it's ever possible to drive the risk to zero.

I also think that the Capital One representative saying there was another way into an account was probably somewhat unclear and the ensuing conversation discussing it here vastly overstates the risk.  I was able to confirm that there is a username recovery feature at Capital One which does require last name, full SSN, and birthday.  If you provide that information accurately, it tells you your username and gives you a chance to reset your password - but doing that requires either the CVV on the card or 2FA.  This is not an alternate login path; it's a normal username/password recovery process that exists at pretty much every financial institution I've ever dealt with.

If all of that info of mine got out there and I were concerned about the security of my Capital One CC account, I'd just call and talk with the fraud department.  It'd be a hassle, but I wouldn't be responsible for any charges and none of the fraudulent charges would impact my credit history or score.

I have heard all of the stories about people's credit history being ruined, or identity thieves stealing their house title, or whatever.  It probably does happen.  But I think the identity and mortgage theft companies dramatize and play up the risk.  It hasn't happened to any serious degree to me, my family members, or anyone I know.

But again, if a person is too concerned, then maybe piggybacking in general is not a good fit for them.  And again, everyone gets to decide for themselves on the risk/reward tradeoff.

ETA:  I also got an email confirming my username activity at Capital One within a few minutes of me playing around with it, with the usual verbiage of "This happened, if it's not you please call us immediately, here's our fraud number."

I go a little overboard but I've been doing it for 10 years as tight as possible because I'm almost never "home".. I basically live in Mexico and getting hacked could screw my income and require me to fly to the US to deal with it and retrieve new cards. I don't think I'm OCD about it or anything but for some people it might be way too much. I can see my important balances and movements via text so I really don't NEED to login unless doing tradelines or sending a wire anyway.

Lifelock and those kinds of companies make big bucks on fear. I'm not really scared, I just do the stuff because I know I don't have the patience to deal with the result of someone getting ahold of all my info.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6324 on: February 28, 2024, 02:06:42 PM »
Has anyone tried adding AUs online with major CC companies on their cell phone (not on the computer)? I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks and considering leaving my laptop at home and just bringing my cell phone. I know I can always call to add an AU but I wonder if it's possible to do through the banking apps and/or mobile websites.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6325 on: February 28, 2024, 04:28:30 PM »
I can add all my cards on my phone, and almost always do other than Wells Fargo. You can add Wells Fargo on a phone, but it is very convoluted and apita, so I will add those on the computer unless I don’t have a choice.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6326 on: March 01, 2024, 05:52:28 PM »
Has anyone had any trouble today or recently adding Barclays AUs?

I'm getting this on the website:
Your request cannot be completed online at this time.We apologize for any inconvenience.

To process your request, please contact Customer Service at 1-866-383-8192.

I'm on the phone now and the first rep I spoke with was unable to process the request to add an AU and I've been transferred twice now...

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6327 on: March 01, 2024, 06:36:51 PM »
How many AUs have you had on that card?  A similar message happens when you have reached the AU limit.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6328 on: March 01, 2024, 06:48:38 PM »
I added a Barclays au yesterday, didn't have any problems

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6329 on: March 01, 2024, 06:51:26 PM »
Yah, Barclays has funny behavior when you hit the limit of AUs.  I've got multiple Barclays cards and can remember I add an AU.  All working, shows up.  Come back the next day and they're gone.  Or the message as above that they can't add at this time and a rep might be able to add but might not. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6330 on: March 01, 2024, 07:18:44 PM »

Your request cannot be completed online at this time.We apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm on the phone now and the first rep I spoke with was unable to process the request to add an AU and I've been transferred twice now...

As others have said, sounds like you hit the lifetime limit, which is between 35 and 40.

They won't be able to add any more AUs to that card.

Best thing to do IMHO is to apply for a new Barclays card, shift all the CL from the old Barclays to the new Barclays, then wait 2 years for it to season.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6331 on: March 01, 2024, 08:14:27 PM »

As others have said, sounds like you hit the lifetime limit, which is between 35 and 40.

They won't be able to add any more AUs to that card.

Best thing to do IMHO is to apply for a new Barclays card, shift all the CL from the old Barclays to the new Barclays, then wait 2 years for it to season.

Weren't their some issues with Barclays not guaranteed to post if you submitted online?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6332 on: March 02, 2024, 02:42:27 PM »
Planning for the future, it seems like the AARP cards have decent sign up bonuses. Does Barclays consolidate two applications in one day on one pull?

What happens if you leave AARP, do they convert the cards to some other no fee Barclay card?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6333 on: March 02, 2024, 03:19:26 PM »

Having a card canceled doesn't make you ineligible for a SUB.  Lots of CCs do have limitations in terms of how frequently or how many times you can receive a SUB, and those rules would still apply.

How long to wait is up to you.  I had two USBank CCs closed for AU activity; I think I waited six months or so.

USBank might keep track of their own experience with you, aside from anything on your credit report.  They might choose to decline you on that basis.  But I was able to open two more USBank CCs after my previous two were closed, so you might succeed as well.

Do you know if USbank shuts down all your cards with them for AU activity (even those that you don't use for TLs) or just the cards you use?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6334 on: March 02, 2024, 03:20:30 PM »
I think I have 3 different AARP cards.  Besides 15 years ago and 1 year ago, I've never been an AARP member and none of my credit cards with an AARP label were ever affected.  I believe I have an AMEX, a Master Card and a Visa that have various banks with AARP labels.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6335 on: March 02, 2024, 09:33:49 PM »
Planning for the future, it seems like the AARP cards have decent sign up bonuses. Does Barclays consolidate two applications in one day on one pull?

What happens if you leave AARP, do they convert the cards to some other no fee Barclay card?

I have the Barclays AARP card (got it for the SUB and aging to replace my existing lifetimed Barclays card).

I'm not a member of AARP, so it seems you don't need to be an AARP member to have the card.

Don't know about the hard pull question.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6336 on: March 02, 2024, 09:35:18 PM »

Having a card canceled doesn't make you ineligible for a SUB.  Lots of CCs do have limitations in terms of how frequently or how many times you can receive a SUB, and those rules would still apply.

How long to wait is up to you.  I had two USBank CCs closed for AU activity; I think I waited six months or so.

USBank might keep track of their own experience with you, aside from anything on your credit report.  They might choose to decline you on that basis.  But I was able to open two more USBank CCs after my previous two were closed, so you might succeed as well.

Do you know if USbank shuts down all your cards with them for AU activity (even those that you don't use for TLs) or just the cards you use?

I'm not sure; I suspect not only because I have never heard of it happening.  I had two USBank cards that both got shut down for AU activity pretty much simultaneously.  But those were the only two USBank cards I had, and I was piggybacking on both.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I waited a bit (a few months?), then reapplied and got two more USBank cards that are now enrolled with Good Company.

Obviously piggybacking on all the cards one has with a CC company increases the risk of them shutting down other cards you have with them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:36:49 PM by secondcor521 »

• Bristles
« Reply #6337 on: March 02, 2024, 09:41:54 PM »
Does anyone know what the right cadence is for Chase e.g. how many users to add for a given card in how many months, without being shut down?

I heard Chase is a bit stringent on this and can shut down quite easily compared to other providers, so hoping to have some guidance and data points on this.

Chase shut me down earlier this year.
7 AUs added in 2018
1 in 2021
2 in 2022

I had also been low key churning accounts for sign up bonuses and think that's what triggered it. I had just been approved for a new business card with a very low limit. I called in to move some of the $70K+ credit limit from my oldest personal card to the new business card and a couple days later was notified that my accounts were closed.

I'll wait a couple years and try again. Hope the reports that it's not permanent are accurate.

Not that it helps at this point, but I'll say so anyway in case someone else is considering the same: Chase doesn't allow you to move credit between personal and business accounts. However you can ask for a reduction in credit on one card, and later request an increase on another one.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6338 on: March 02, 2024, 09:54:49 PM »

I'm not sure; I suspect not only because I have never heard of it happening.  I had two USBank cards that both got shut down for AU activity pretty much simultaneously.  But those were the only two USBank cards I had, and I was piggybacking on both.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I waited a bit (a few months?), then reapplied and got two more USBank cards that are now enrolled with Good Company.

Obviously piggybacking on all the cards one has with a CC company increases the risk of them shutting down other cards you have with them.

Well, you gotta have some other cards to put your actual spend on. :D Or are you using a card you can't enroll for that? LOL

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6339 on: March 03, 2024, 09:17:49 AM »
Well, you gotta have some other cards to put your actual spend on. :D Or are you using a card you can't enroll for that? LOL

I have plenty of cards.  About half are piggybacking, about half are not for various reasons.

My daily spender happens to be a card that is piggybacking but hasn't had any sales.  It has a high limit anyway so I can probably stay under 10% without issue.

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #6340 on: March 04, 2024, 06:47:41 AM »
Please be wary of the AARP cards.  P2 and I are not of age yet and Barclays has a check box that asks if you want soliciting calls.  I unchecked both.  However, after getting flooded with calls (a couple an hour) for a month, I checked and the check boxes are back.  I keep checking, but once on the call lists, you are always on the call lists.  We still get several calls a day about medicare benefits, death insurance, "free" programs and other ways to help you spend your money.

Yes, I have asked to be put on the do not call list, but please be patient cause it takes forever to update their do not call lists.  By forever, I mean the 5th person after me who gets this number will be getting calls for me.

One of my AUs bought a house and my number is the only one on record for them?  Needless to say, they call repeatedly after being informed there is no one by that name associated with this number.

Be wary of the AARP sign up calls.  Can you tell I'm frustrated with telemarketers?  P2 got scammed also. 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6341 on: March 04, 2024, 09:00:36 AM »
Please be wary of the AARP cards.  P2 and I are not of age yet and Barclays has a check box that asks if you want soliciting calls.  I unchecked both.  However, after getting flooded with calls (a couple an hour) for a month, I checked and the check boxes are back.  I keep checking, but once on the call lists, you are always on the call lists.  We still get several calls a day about medicare benefits, death insurance, "free" programs and other ways to help you spend your money.

Yes, I have asked to be put on the do not call list, but please be patient cause it takes forever to update their do not call lists.  By forever, I mean the 5th person after me who gets this number will be getting calls for me.

One of my AUs bought a house and my number is the only one on record for them?  Needless to say, they call repeatedly after being informed there is no one by that name associated with this number.

Be wary of the AARP sign up calls.  Can you tell I'm frustrated with telemarketers?  P2 got scammed also.

This sounds like an AARP marketing setting rather than Barclays? I signed up for AARP itself in the fall ($23 cashback vs $12 cost or whatever)...I opted out of all the marketing at the AARP website and haven't received anything.

I believe the link was:

https://help.aarp.org/s/ccpa-request-page

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #6342 on: March 04, 2024, 09:37:10 AM »

This sounds like an AARP marketing setting rather than Barclays? I signed up for AARP itself in the fall ($23 cashback vs $12 cost or whatever)...I opted out of all the marketing at the AARP website and haven't received anything.

I believe the link was:

https://help.aarp.org/s/ccpa-request-page
Thank you and while I agree, the link didn't request my telephone number.  I am not an AARP member so I don't have a sign in with them.  This will be interesting.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6343 on: March 04, 2024, 05:49:58 PM »
I think I have 3 different AARP cards.  Besides 15 years ago and 1 year ago, I've never been an AARP member and none of my credit cards with an AARP label were ever affected.  I believe I have an AMEX, a Master Card and a Visa that have various banks with AARP labels.

I have an AARP card which i opened recently. I am not an AARP member AFAIK. Bacrlays didn't sign me up as a member or give me an account number for AARP. I already received and used my sign up bonus for this card for a statement credit. You dont need AARP to get the bonus.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6344 on: March 04, 2024, 05:52:45 PM »
A couple of questions to those who had their Chase accounts shut down for AU activity. I know that Chase closes all the accounts and potentially bans you for life.
-Were you able to redeem UR points after they notified you of account closure? If so, were you able to transfer them to partner airlines or hotels or only redeem for cash?
-If you had checking or savings accounts with some funds deposited, what happened? Did Chase close the accounts too? How did you get the money from those accounts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:23:21 PM by Padonak »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6345 on: March 04, 2024, 06:58:12 PM »
A couple of questions to those who had their Chase accounts shut down for AU activity. I know that Chase closes all the accounts and potentially bans you for life.
-Were you able to redeem UR points after they notified you of account closure? If so, were you able to transfer them to partner airlines or hotels or only redeem for cash?
-If you had checking or savings accounts with some funds deposited, what happened? Did Chase close the accounts too? How did you get the money from those accounts?

These seem very specific. Did you get shut down by Chase?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #6346 on: March 04, 2024, 07:03:50 PM »

I have not had any Chase accounts shut down.  However, my understanding of your two questions based on a lot of reading is:

1.  You would lose all URs and neither be able to redeem them for cash nor transfer them to any travel partners.
2.  They don't close checking/savings accounts for AU activity.  What they reportedly do is close all Chase CCs regardless of whether or not you were using all Chase cards for AUs or just a subset.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6347 on: March 04, 2024, 07:06:31 PM »
These seem very specific. Did you get shut down by Chase?

No I didn't. I'm asking because I've been using their cards for TLs but I'm also working on getting a sign up bonus for opening checking and savings accounts and considering getting other chase cards in the future, like Sapphire or Ink, for sign up bonuses. Depending on the answers, I may choose other banks and CC companies for sign up bonuses even if they are less generous.

This is less of an issue with co-branded cards (e.g. United or Hyatt) because when the points are earned, they are immediately transferred to airline of hotel partners and you get to keep them even if your card is shut down or you close it yourself. At least that's my understanding.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6348 on: March 04, 2024, 07:16:50 PM »

I have not had any Chase accounts shut down.  However, my understanding of your two questions based on a lot of reading is:

1.  You would lose all URs and neither be able to redeem them for cash nor transfer them to any travel partners.
2.  They don't close checking/savings accounts for AU activity.  What they reportedly do is close all Chase CCs regardless of whether or not you were using all Chase cards for AUs or just a subset.

Thanks, this is very helpful. If this is the case, it's still ok to get bank account sign up bonuses with Chase but probably not UR points sign up bonuses for credit cards....or be prepared to lose them at any moment unless you transfer them to an airline or hotel partner (which, without specific redemption plans, will make those points a lot less valuable.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6349 on: March 04, 2024, 07:35:21 PM »

Thanks, this is very helpful. If this is the case, it's still ok to get bank account sign up bonuses with Chase but probably not UR points sign up bonuses for credit cards....or be prepared to lose them at any moment unless you transfer them to an airline or hotel partner (which, without specific redemption plans, will make those points a lot less valuable.

or Just redeem your UR for cash. That's what I do.