Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1922826 times)

frozen

• Stubble
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #5750 on: November 03, 2022, 06:23:34 AM »
Read this in a Facebook group with tradeline sellers. What do people think and how can we protect ourselves:

Hi everyone good afternoon, I want to reach out to inform you all to be careful with adding Au users to navy federal cards if you have them  . Somehow Navy federal allowed a card holders au user to transfer $5000 from her card to the Au users checking account & it was done in 2 transactions , 1 for $2000 & the second for $3000 . Navy federal put the first $2000 back . But they let the second one slide cause they said she is a user on the account 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ so be careful with Navy . I also want to know is USAA still a good bank ? Because I知 going to be getting an account with them soon 🔜 & I want to know if their still pretty good ? I have to leave Navy a lone now , I知 starting to have too many issues with them as well .

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5751 on: November 03, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »
I have an NFCU Visa card. I asked Old Co if they would take it and they said no, because NFCU doesn't report correctly.

So I guess the way to keep yourself safe in this case is don't add AUs to NFCU.

TheAgileCamel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5752 on: November 03, 2022, 02:57:29 PM »
Read this in a Facebook group with tradeline sellers. What do people think and how can we protect ourselves:

Hi everyone good afternoon, I want to reach out to inform you all to be careful with adding Au users to navy federal cards if you have them  . Somehow Navy federal allowed a card holders au user to transfer $5000 from her card to the Au users checking account & it was done in 2 transactions , 1 for $2000 & the second for $3000 . Navy federal put the first $2000 back . But they let the second one slide cause they said she is a user on the account 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ so be careful with Navy . I also want to know is USAA still a good bank ? Because I知 going to be getting an account with them soon 🔜 & I want to know if their still pretty good ? I have to leave Navy a lone now , I知 starting to have too many issues with them as well .

This is true. In addition, AUs can have the card sent directly to their house. Be careful.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #5753 on: November 04, 2022, 04:28:16 AM »

This is true. In addition, AUs can have the card sent directly to their house. Be careful.

That is scary. I am looking into freezing AU cards and/or setting spending limits. I noticed you can do this with Amex.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5754 on: November 15, 2022, 08:32:26 PM »
I had two adds for Citi come through pretty much one after the other. Called in and gave them name, DOB, and SSN as usual and was asked to verify the AU home address. All fine.

Today I check out how the AUs are listed in my Citi portal (usually check to see that names were entered correctly) and notice that while one has my address listed as theirs, the other has their own address listed. Weird.

I can edit the addresses. Does it matter which is listed when it comes to the AU posting? I am hoping that the one AU who has their own address listed did not get sent a card. Maybe I should give Citi a call...

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5755 on: November 15, 2022, 10:02:21 PM »
I had two adds for Citi come through pretty much one after the other. Called in and gave them name, DOB, and SSN as usual and was asked to verify the AU home address. All fine.

Today I check out how the AUs are listed in my Citi portal (usually check to see that names were entered correctly) and notice that while one has my address listed as theirs, the other has their own address listed. Weird.

I can edit the addresses. Does it matter which is listed when it comes to the AU posting? I am hoping that the one AU who has their own address listed did not get sent a card. Maybe I should give Citi a call...

They send cards to your address only no matter which address you used as AU's address

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5756 on: November 28, 2022, 09:20:17 AM »
Things have really seemed to slow down for me in the past few months. I had my AUs close to maxxed out between my wife's Discover and my own and even some Amex cards I was getting a consistent stream of AUs but it seems to have all come to a halt as of late.

Anyone else noticing this? Is it because less people are looking to take loans out with higher interest rates and therefore nobody has as big of a need to build their credit scores up?
I have noticed a slowdown on my younger cards, but I also added a couple well aged cards this year so that is slightly bringing up my yoy tradeline income.
Even my well seasoned Cards have slowed down now.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5757 on: November 28, 2022, 02:08:55 PM »

Even my well seasoned Cards have slowed down now.

Same. This business is very sensitive to rising interest rates.

DK82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5758 on: November 28, 2022, 08:06:55 PM »
File this under "things I wish I knew when I tried tradelines out" ----

I've received phone calls from debt collectors thinking they were calling the person who bought the tradeline.  Today I received a letter in the mail from an attorney (addressed to the buyer of the tradeline) related to debt collection. 

For those reading this and considering trying this out... just know that your phone number and address will be associated with these people going forward.  Is it worth it for an extra couple hundred a month?  Only you can answer that. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5759 on: November 28, 2022, 08:21:05 PM »
File this under "things I wish I knew when I tried tradelines out" ----

I've received phone calls from debt collectors thinking they were calling the person who bought the tradeline.  Today I received a letter in the mail from an attorney (addressed to the buyer of the tradeline) related to debt collection. 

For those reading this and considering trying this out... just know that your phone number and address will be associated with these people going forward.  Is it worth it for an extra couple hundred a month?  Only you can answer that.

Yeah, I got a phone call a few days ago about needing to confirm an address from serving some papers. I vaguely recognized the name they were asking for as a tradeline sale but simply told the person on the phone I had no idea who that person was and they didn't live at my address.

A couple thousand dollars a year is well worth getting some junk mail and a random phone call now and then. I also figure I'm doing my part in introducing more errors into all the data brokers systems.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5760 on: November 29, 2022, 08:40:00 AM »
A couple thousand dollars a year is well worth getting some junk mail and a random phone call now and then. I also figure I'm doing my part in introducing more errors into all the data brokers systems.

I agree with Michael's point of view.

I also appreciate that this 'business' is hosing up the data brokers and miners.  I work in a business that uses some background check data.  I am bothered by the privacy implications of what is collected on the average consumer.  Therefore, I love knowing that my report is now a jumbled mess of truly unrelated people and data points.  :)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #5761 on: November 29, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
I've never listed my phone number in association with any AU, so I don't get calls about them.  (If I did, they wouldn't get past my whitelist-based phone screener.)

First class mail for AUs gets returned to sender not at this address.

Non first class mail for AUs gets recycled.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5762 on: November 29, 2022, 04:28:16 PM »
Haven稚 gotten any phone calls, or maybe that痴 because I don稚 answer calls from unknown numbers.

I have gotten a couple of visits from repo men, but they just go away when they realize that the vehicle is not here.

So far, well worth it for the few several thousand a year.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5763 on: December 06, 2022, 06:44:14 PM »
Barclays card lifetime limit data point:

I tried to add an AU to my Barclays card today.  I tried to add online, it asked me security questions from my credit report, claimed I had answered incorrectly, and to call in.  I repeated a second online add attempt with similar result:  different security questions, but still failed to add.

I called in.  CSR#1 tried to add, it didn't work.  CSR#1 patched in account security, who security verified me.  Account security tried to patch me back to CSR#1, but I ended up with CSR#2, who claimed erroneously that she needed me to provide the SSN to add an AU.  I told her I didn't have it, and that I'd get it and call back.  She said she'd notate my file to reflect the situation.

Across Old Company, New Company, and private sales, I had a total of 39 successful AUs on this card.  I also had one failure to add an AU due to some fraud issue (I think Barclays had put a fraud alert on my card at one point).  If you include that last AU, that means that for me the total lifetime limit on Barclays was 40.

My plan (as mentioned earlier in this thread) is to apply for a new no-fee Barclays card, wait for my last successful AU to fall off my existing card, then close the old card and transfer the credit limit to the new card.  I had a $95AF-waived-the-first-year card with Barclays that was seasoning, but they refused to let me downgrade to a no-fee card, so I closed that one.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5764 on: December 07, 2022, 12:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the data point and details, @secondcor521 !

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5765 on: December 09, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
Anyone getting new orders? I got none since early November.

Another question: for the 2022 tax return, is this year's TL income based on TLs ordered this year or those I got paid for this year?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 10:58:24 AM by Padonak »

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5766 on: December 09, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »

Another question: for the 2022 tax return, is this year's TL income based on TLs ordered this year or those I got paid for this year?

Got a little bump in orders in the last couple weeks, but generally slow this quarter.

I report the income received (paid) in the calendar year, not based on when it was ordered.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5767 on: December 09, 2022, 02:55:59 PM »

I just got an order on my Barclays card as soon as a spot opened up. I have a newer card with another company (not the old or the new) and just got the first order on that in a few months. My two cards with the old company have stayed fairly busy the second half of this year. I had a just one order between October 2021 and Juney 2022. Since June though I've had 9 orders on my Barclays card and 2 on another card with a lower limit.

Cash basis accounting - you recognize income when it hits your bank account (constructive receipt). Until you actually get paid for an order there's a possibility it won't post and then you're paying taxes on income that never occured. If you get paid on January 1st for an order, you received in November, it's 2023 income. You could choose to do accrual but that's adding complexity for zero benefit.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5768 on: December 10, 2022, 10:16:00 AM »

Cash basis accounting - you recognize income when it hits your bank account (constructive receipt). Until you actually get paid for an order there's a possibility it won't post and then you're paying taxes on income that never occured. If you get paid on January 1st for an order, you received in November, it's 2023 income. You could choose to do accrual but that's adding complexity for zero benefit.

That makes sense, thanks! When tradeline companies issue 1099s, do they follow the same principle (cash basis accounting)?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5769 on: December 10, 2022, 02:35:41 PM »

That makes sense, thanks! When tradeline companies issue 1099s, do they follow the same principle (cash basis accounting)?

Yes, that's been my experience with the old company.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5770 on: December 12, 2022, 10:09:05 PM »
PTF.
The effort / reward ratio of tradelines has not been good for me in past but looking at post RE where the relative amounts of time and money will change could make this worth it. 

I only have one CC now (delta-amex +10yo that I dont think I want to risk) I think after I buy my next primary residence in spring I will reevaluate all this and maybe get a few new cards to start aging.  Am considering paying cash for a home, but may not and dont want to complicate my life with new CC's right before moving and maybe taking out a home loan. 

Is the info in the first few posts of this thread still mostly valid?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5771 on: December 12, 2022, 10:13:29 PM »

Yeah, mostly.

The few things I think are different:

1.  Many people have been having trouble getting paid from one of the recommended companies.  Be aware.

2.  The cards which are currently accepted may not be exactly the same as the list in the OP.  The commissions are probably different too unless ARS has been keeping those up to date.  Contact your tradeline company for updated info.

3.  Most of the time it seems AUs are left on for a few months, not just one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:23:27 PM by secondcor521 »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5772 on: December 12, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
thanks @secondcor521 !

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5773 on: December 13, 2022, 07:06:11 AM »
If you want to keep your credit score up before the home loan, buy some tradelines!

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5774 on: December 13, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »
PTF.
The effort / reward ratio of tradelines has not been good for me in past but looking at post RE where the relative amounts of time and money will change could make this worth it. 

I only have one CC now (delta-amex +10yo that I dont think I want to risk) I think after I buy my next primary residence in spring I will reevaluate all this and maybe get a few new cards to start aging.  Am considering paying cash for a home, but may not and dont want to complicate my life with new CC's right before moving and maybe taking out a home loan. 

If you just have one Amex card which you don't want to risk, I don't think it's worth it trying to sell tradelines on it. I have an Amex registered with the old company and got maybe one sale on it several months ago.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5775 on: December 13, 2022, 03:56:09 PM »
PTF.

I'd recommend getting a Barclays card now and start ageing it. It should have minor impact on your credit score - it may even improve it as your available credit will go up and average utilization will go down (assuming you just charge some small stuff now and then and pay it off in full). Barclays is definitely the easiest for tradelines in my experience. Everything can be done on the website in a minute or two and aside from a lifetime limit of about 40 AUs there's really no downside.

kindoflost

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • always trying to learn
    • tradelines information for sellers
« Reply #5776 on: December 16, 2022, 06:13:33 AM »
Hey,
To whoever keeps track of the stats... I got my BankAmericard closed yesterday for "irregular" user activity.
I had just sold my third tradeline of 2022. And I had sold 3 in 2021.
Regards

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5777 on: December 16, 2022, 06:26:23 AM »
I was shutdown last year with similar BofA volume.  I would not sell any spots on their cards if anyone still has BofA listings.  Plenty of others with far less risk.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5778 on: December 16, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
It's good to have data points, I think.

I have a BofA card that has had 3 or 4 AUs per year for the last three years and it is still fine (for now, knock wood).

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5779 on: December 16, 2022, 02:19:22 PM »
Here are my BOA #s...

2020:  3 AUs sold   (began selling in Aug 2020)
2021:  7 AUs sold
2022:  8 AUs sold so far

I do have some cash in a BOA Savings account... not sure if that helps in keeping my CC from being closed... Keep on knockin' on wood!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5780 on: December 16, 2022, 11:15:27 PM »
I don't remember exactly, I think it was 7 or 8 AU over a rolling 12 month period. 

I only sell tradelines on one discover card.  I have a second discover card that I've been aging and waiting for the old company to accept, but no AU on that one. 

I do not know if the limit applies to each card, or if it is combined.

I just found the email where I made a record after I spoke to discover.  I was told it was a maximum of 7 AU on a 12 month rolling basis. 

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5781 on: December 19, 2022, 05:30:15 AM »
I had over 300k with Merrill and multiple cards and bank accounts when BofA shut me down.  Had sold 5 tradelines over a year.  Just sharing the data point. 

And for discover.  If you池e hitting the online limit you can add over the phone as long as the five spots aren稚 currently occupied

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5782 on: December 19, 2022, 06:03:06 PM »
Here are my BOA #s...

2020:  3 AUs sold   (began selling in Aug 2020)
2021:  7 AUs sold
2022:  8 AUs sold so far

I do have some cash in a BOA Savings account... not sure if that helps in keeping my CC from being closed... Keep on knockin' on wood!

My first AUs on BoA (3 cards), I made purchases on all of them.  Next day, all my BoA cards and accounts were closed.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5783 on: December 21, 2022, 08:41:38 AM »
I have cards with the new company (for several years now).  I usually only ask for payment every six months for AUs that were removed at least 2 months prior to my asking for payment.  Have not had many problems getting payment.  On Dec 6, I have emailed the guy at the company who does the payment and asked him to pay me for six AUs.  After a week of no response and no payment, I asked again on Dec 13 and also copied Erica at the company.  Another week gone by and still no response or payment.  So I have sent a third email asking today.  I told them I wanted to get paid soon so I can contribute that money to my IRA before the end of the year.  Anyone else know what is going on with them or have any suggestions for me? 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5784 on: December 21, 2022, 11:03:52 AM »
I have cards with the new company (for several years now).  I usually only ask for payment every six months for AUs that were removed at least 2 months prior to my asking for payment.  Have not had many problems getting payment.  On Dec 6, I have emailed the guy at the company who does the payment and asked him to pay me for six AUs.  After a week of no response and no payment, I asked again on Dec 13 and also copied Erica at the company.  Another week gone by and still no response or payment.  So I have sent a third email asking today.  I told them I wanted to get paid soon so I can contribute that money to my IRA before the end of the year.  Anyone else know what is going on with them or have any suggestions for me?

contact @arebelspy and have him contact cliff on your behalf.  That's the only way I was able to get paid by them.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5785 on: December 21, 2022, 12:01:21 PM »
[quote auth

contact @arebelspy and have him contact cliff on your behalf.  That's the only way I was able to get paid by them.
[/quote]

Good news! I just heard from the company and I am supposed to have my payment processed tomorrow.  Yeah!

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5786 on: December 21, 2022, 05:03:55 PM »
It must be annoying to have to continually chase them for payment!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #5787 on: December 22, 2022, 10:40:23 AM »
Today I received a notice from Citi that an authorized user had removed themself, about a month before I was scheduled to do so. Very strange.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #5788 on: December 29, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
This has probably already been discussed at some point in a long thread like this, but I don't remember.

I've been selling spots on my Citi Card through "old company" for a while now, and they have always posted and I've been paid.  For reasons unknown, I added an AU at old company's request a couple weeks ago, following old company's instructions to the letter for a Citi add (making sure to add by phone only, give client's SS# to customer service rep, ask rep to spell back name so no errors, etc.)  The client was in fact added according to my online acct.  He was added timely, and a statement was generated (I have a small recurring charge on the account to make sure of this.)

In spite of all this, old company contacted me a few weeks later, enclosing copies of client's credit reports which showed it did not post.  They told me since it didn't post I wouldn't get paid.  I sent them screenshots and emails showing that he was added.  I understand that they had to refund client's money.  However, I feel that the failure to post was not within my control and therefore not my fault.  I put in some time and effort to not only get him added (and later removed) from the account, but to justify to the old company that I had done everything properly (not wanting to be removed from the program b/c they might see me as irresponsible).

Has anyone else been denied payment due to a non-posting for which they were not at fault?

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5789 on: December 29, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »
Yep, totally normal.  I've had it happen 2-3 times over the last 5 years with my Cap One card.
Who knows the exact reason, maybe they didn't find an exact match with the name or address, etc.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #5790 on: December 29, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
I've had it happen once.  Happened to be on an AMEX card.  Like you, I did everything correctly.  It's just a risk.

One thing to make sure of is that you provide and have the CSR enter all of the AU information you're supposed to.  The more accurate data points to match, the more likely it is to post on the AU's credit report.  It seems to me, although I've never seen anything official, that it takes at least two and preferably three data points among name / address / DOB / SSN to get it to post.  I did have one case where a CSR didn't want to type in the AU's address stating that they didn't need it.  That one still worked, but I may have called back in and added the AU address via a second CSR.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5791 on: December 29, 2022, 06:56:04 PM »
This has probably already been discussed at some point in a long thread like this, but I don't remember.

I've been selling spots on my Citi Card through "old company" for a while now, and they have always posted and I've been paid.  For reasons unknown, I added an AU at old company's request a couple weeks ago, following old company's instructions to the letter for a Citi add (making sure to add by phone only, give client's SS# to customer service rep, ask rep to spell back name so no errors, etc.)  The client was in fact added according to my online acct.  He was added timely, and a statement was generated (I have a small recurring charge on the account to make sure of this.)

In spite of all this, old company contacted me a few weeks later, enclosing copies of client's credit reports which showed it did not post.  They told me since it didn't post I wouldn't get paid.  I sent them screenshots and emails showing that he was added.  I understand that they had to refund client's money.  However, I feel that the failure to post was not within my control and therefore not my fault.  I put in some time and effort to not only get him added (and later removed) from the account, but to justify to the old company that I had done everything properly (not wanting to be removed from the program b/c they might see me as irresponsible).

Has anyone else been denied payment due to a non-posting for which they were not at fault?

When did you add your Citi card to the old company? I don't think they accept them anymore. If I remember correctly, they stopped accepting them years ago

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #5792 on: December 30, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »
I only signed on with old company maybe a year and a half ago, and I listed my Citi card with them from the start, along with 3 other cards.  The Citi is the only one that has been selling for the last 9 mo. or so, and even then only one slot every few months ($75 b/c $12.5k CL).  So all in all, not much of a moneymaker for me.  Back in the beginning I think I sold a few Barclays slots @ $25 per, but not in a long time.

I have to say my experience with how much money can be made from tradeline selling has been markedly different from the reports on here by the longtime sellers like Arebelspy, etc.  And the tradeline companies can be fairly demanding, in terms of always being ready to drop everything going on in your life to add an AU in a very particular way, especially when it has to be done by phone like Citi.  I'm grateful to Arebelspy for helping us all with the process.  I'm only saying that newbies should maybe be aware that things seem to have changed a little for the worse since the thread was first started.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5793 on: December 30, 2022, 03:36:51 PM »
I only signed on with old company maybe a year and a half ago, and I listed my Citi card with them from the start, along with 3 other cards.  The Citi is the only one that has been selling for the last 9 mo. or so, and even then only one slot every few months ($75 b/c $12.5k CL).  So all in all, not much of a moneymaker for me.  Back in the beginning I think I sold a few Barclays slots @ $25 per, but not in a long time.

I have to say my experience with how much money can be made from tradeline selling has been markedly different from the reports on here by the longtime sellers like Arebelspy, etc.  And the tradeline companies can be fairly demanding, in terms of always being ready to drop everything going on in your life to add an AU in a very particular way, especially when it has to be done by phone like Citi.  I'm grateful to Arebelspy for helping us all with the process.  I'm only saying that newbies should maybe be aware that things seem to have changed a little for the worse since the thread was first started.

I started in late 2020 with two cards with the old company and made $400 since they were only $25 each. In 2021 I made about $1,000 and in 2022 I'm going to end up at about $2,400 as I added two more newer cards with a different company. I've got three more sales that will pay out in 2023 for $420 so I'm starting out the year pretty well.

For the literal handful of hours, I've put into this over the last couple of year it's a pretty damn good ROI. Not to mention, I can now deduct any annual fees as a business expense.

I started with only a handful of old credit cards from credit unions, etc. that wouldn't work with tradelines. Had I kept some of the national branded cards I had years ago I might have been able to make more since I would have had more cards over the two-year mark. I went on the Dave Ramsey plan several years ago and cancelled all those other credit cards and just kept my handful of really old cards that I never used that didn't have any fees.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:39:28 PM by Michael in ABQ »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5794 on: December 30, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »
2017 $975
2018 $6815
2019 $1285
2020 $3440
2021 $2000
2022 $1625

All things considered, I'm pretty happy with my results.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5795 on: December 31, 2022, 05:31:48 AM »

Any amount of money I make I am more than content with. Considering it typically only takes a couple minutes to add an AU, the hourly rate is fantastic. I wouldn't count on this as any sort of constant flow of income. I made half this year what I made last year. I am perfectly fine with that. That's the nature of the tradeline biz.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #5796 on: January 02, 2023, 06:08:46 PM »
Had about 3/4th as many sales as what I had last year. But total income about the same thanks to a bunch of cards aging up into the next bracket over the year. So that's a nice side benefit.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5797 on: January 03, 2023, 09:16:45 AM »
I received the below notification when I tried to add an Authorized User to my Elan Fidelity card.  Anyone else experience this?  I'm going to send them a message to remove all AUs (it's time for my last AU and I'll remove my spouse as well) and ask them what's up.  Not concerned if I lose it, but it's my only non-Chase card right now. 

It looks like your account requires some extra attention.
Please give us a call at 1-888-551-5144 , and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to help.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5798 on: January 03, 2023, 09:45:31 AM »
Hey folks,

I've got some pretty bad news to share. Enrolled with Old Company 3 months ago. Signed up my Barclays card, sold 2 spots, got paid, everything is good. Then enrolled an Elan card, had my first AU spot sold not long after. 6-8 weeks go by and I find the card is declined when I'm at the grocery store. Try to log in to online access, tells me to call technical support. This past Friday I get on the phone with support, said my account was flagged for suspicious AU activity. The rep tells me that the AU had personally called in and said they didn't know why (my) credit history was showing up on their credit report. In my mind, I try to keep things as simple as possible and confirmed I added the AU on the stated date, and the relationship to me was a colleague.

I'm told someone from the verification team would be in touch. Just got off the phone with the Elan again today. My account is permanently closed with no chance to contest or reopen. The rep basically said "we don't allow piggybacking because it creates too much risk for the bank". They specifically used that term, so they must've deduced the card was being used for TLs or the AU tipped it off when they called.

I will say that the support I received from Old Company was very good. I brought up the issue right away, they tried all day Friday to get ahold of the AU. When they finally did, AU basically said they forgot they had signed up for and paid for the service (lol what?). They must've panicked or something when they saw it come up on their credit report and contacted the lender directly (big yikes, this is strictly forbidden in Old Company's rules).

On a brighter note, Old Company permanently disbarred said AU from any future business, kept AU's fee, and still paid me the $75 commission. Sucks that this happened so early on the very first AU spot, but hey, that's what you sign up for when engaging in this kind of side hustle. Not a card I really cared about or really used. $14k credit limit with 3 year history. Just unlucky, oh well.

Questions for moving forward:

1. Will that account closure raise alert to other lenders that I'm participating in tradelines? Do I need to lay low for a while?
2. How do I check and pay any open balances on the closed card, so that I'm not docked for late payments?
3. Anyone know if this will hurt my credit? I don't believe it will outside of overall utilization limit plus the credit history removal after 7 years.

P.S. Old Company said that the events above are very rare to occur. And apologized profusely. No hard feelings by me. Again, that's what you're signing up for. Old Company handled it professionally, even called me at 6:00 pm on a Friday to help with resolution.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5799 on: January 03, 2023, 09:47:25 AM »
I received the below notification when I tried to add an Authorized User to my Elan Fidelity card.  Anyone else experience this?  I'm going to send them a message to remove all AUs (it's time for my last AU and I'll remove my spouse as well) and ask them what's up.  Not concerned if I lose it, but it's my only non-Chase card right now. 

It looks like your account requires some extra attention.
Please give us a call at 1-888-551-5144 , and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to help.

I had trouble with AUs on my Elan card and ended up getting it closed permanently. Just re-quoted the post to bump it up for you to see. I wouldn't say you necessarily have the same circumstances, but yeah I got shut down on my first AU for the card :/