Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1362043 times)

Brezhnev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #4750 on: February 10, 2021, 05:34:29 AM »
Hello, what are the names of companies that accept Amex cards? Between me and my family members we have 10 of these cards. Thank you.

goodlivin23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4751 on: February 10, 2021, 09:13:35 PM »
So- just tried to sign into my BofA account and was unable to do so. Called in, they said my account has been closed. Apparently, I should be receiving an email about this in 3-5 days. What's up with that? Has this happened to others? Its about 1 1/2 years old and I've only ever had 2 AUs on it at a time. They won't tell me the reason though (I have to wait for the letter). Also, has anyone ever been able to get a company to re-open a card?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4752 on: February 11, 2021, 03:36:27 AM »
BOA closed me 2 years ago for tradelines, I had 2 cards and they closed both suddenly, I was at starbucks and was declined.
I did add more than 2 users at a time and probably only did tradelines a few months before they closed me.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4753 on: February 11, 2021, 06:23:07 AM »
Yup, BoA fired me.  I posted about it here.  F them. 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4754 on: February 11, 2021, 07:39:02 AM »
Samesies.  BoA closed my 12 year old account last year.  I posted about it in this thread.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4755 on: February 11, 2021, 10:33:09 AM »
Likewise, they closed all 5 of my cards last year - total of $42k in available credit, gone like a fart in the wind over 3 (count 'em, 3!) total AU! I mean, I knew the risks but just assumed I would get a few more under my belt before they shut me down. That was only about 10% of my available credit, so it wasn't a huge hit. I did like that BoA did a lot of zero percent offers - I've used those in the past for home improvement projects, etc., but I still have quite a few cards that offer them. Screw 'em!  :)

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4756 on: February 11, 2021, 11:45:52 AM »
Guidance lately  has been to list no more than one AU on BofA lately and keep it on for 3-4 months.  That sucks to have lost it!

If you're a Platinum rewards member that means over 5% on some categories for cash back on their cards which I'd hate to lose. Right now I only list one spot but it does make me nervous

Most important rule of selling TLs is never to list a card you'd hate to lose. Which is why a lot don't list any Chase. But even if you're blacklisted there are plenty of banks who want your business.  of course you have to restart the clock on age of the card.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4757 on: February 13, 2021, 02:43:59 PM »
I got a text and email from the old company that I have to add an AU, but when I log in there are no orders.  Strange.  Ever happen to anyone else?

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4758 on: February 13, 2021, 03:20:12 PM »
I got a text and email from the old company that I have to add an AU, but when I log in there are no orders.  Strange.  Ever happen to anyone else?

Once or twice.  Email old company and ask.  Usually it's a test or a mistake or a canceled order.

MoseyingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #4759 on: February 13, 2021, 04:09:03 PM »

This happened to me for the first time last week.
Was notified Thursday about the new order, logged in but there was no AU info. I noticed that the order date was early Jan. So notified the company.
Friday I received a request to send a screenshot showing no gear wheel and was told the sale happened in early January but this was a current sale. Send the screenshot Friday night.
Didn't hear anything over the weekend. (Not griping, just giving the rundown, everyone needs time off).
Monday morning got a response and the AU info was now available. Added and hoping it posts.

Hope you get the AU info soon.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4760 on: February 14, 2021, 07:14:00 AM »
Re BofA: Mine is still going strong but only add maybe a handful of AUs in a year. I'm sure the low number helps a lot

I've noticed lately Barclaycard has the AU pending until I verify further information. I didn't notice on one of my AUs, since this seems to be new for me, and the AU disappeared. I now log in to double check the AU has indeed been added.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4761 on: February 14, 2021, 12:47:52 PM »
Barclay did that to me 2 weeks ago, wanted documents, the tradeline co sent the documents and they are on there but may have not posted.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4762 on: February 15, 2021, 01:42:39 PM »
I'm sure this has been answered many times in this thread but I don't know how to search it out.

2020 was my first year selling tradelines, I got my 1099-NEC for the $500 I was paid.  It appears to my untrained eye that the 2 most likely ways to treat this for tax purposes are:

1)  consider it a "sporadic activity" and record it on my 1040 as "other income"';  or
2)  fill out form 8919 and use "reason code" H (although I'm not sure of this as it appears to create an adverse claim against the tradeline company but I don't see a more relevant code).

I understand no one can offer me tax advice but I'm hoping someone will share how they treat this income themselves.

Thank you.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4763 on: February 15, 2021, 01:49:48 PM »

It was a canceled order.

Michael in ABQ

• Handlebar Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #4764 on: February 15, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »
I'm sure this has been answered many times in this thread but I don't know how to search it out.

2020 was my first year selling tradelines, I got my 1099-NEC for the $500 I was paid.  It appears to my untrained eye that the 2 most likely ways to treat this for tax purposes are:

1)  consider it a "sporadic activity" and record it on my 1040 as "other income"';  or
2)  fill out form 8919 and use "reason code" H (although I'm not sure of this as it appears to create an adverse claim against the tradeline company but I don't see a more relevant code).

I understand no one can offer me tax advice but I'm hoping someone will share how they treat this income themselves.

Thank you.

I treated it as a business and labeled it "Tradeline Sales". I put my income from my 1099-NEC on a Schedule C and deducted expenses for annual credit card fees as "Commissions and fees" (block 10).

My net profit this year was only a few hundred dollars but I'm hoping 2020 is better now that my couple of cards will be over 2 years old and thus generating a lot more than $25 - $50 an order. Alas, now that they're not as cheap I haven't had any orders in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:52:00 PM by Michael in ABQ »

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4765 on: February 15, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »

Thank you.

I wouldn't do your second option.

The first option you gave is an option (Other income, Schedule 1, line 8).  The other option is a Schedule C as someone else pointed out.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4766 on: February 15, 2021, 06:14:13 PM »

Thank you.

I have done schedule c for the past couple of years as the other posters indicated.  I have not done taxes this year but don't think the change in form type will change that decision.

Hope this helps.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4767 on: February 15, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »

Thank you.

I put mine as other income on 1040 schedule 1 (line 8).  I do not have any cards with annual fees that I use for tradelines, nor do I have any other related expenses I could deduct.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4768 on: February 16, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
I did the Other Income piece the first year (I didn't know if I would continue with it), and then subsequently have done Sched C with no expenses. I could maaaaaybe call a computer purchase an expense but I'm already using that for a state educational expenses deduction, so no dice.

mlipps

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4769 on: February 16, 2021, 07:29:41 PM »
I did mine as a Schedule C as well. For those who don't know, the main tax implication of the schedule C versus "other income" is that you pay FICA taxes on a Schedule C (Employee & employer portion) but not on "other income". However, I do taxes every year at a VITA site & we are extremely limited in what we will consider "other income". The main types of income we put there are relatives getting payment for foster care, jury duty, nominal fees for surveys, and election judging. Any other 1099 always goes on a Schedule C, even if it's fairly small. I think it's the safest route.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4770 on: February 17, 2021, 05:01:35 AM »
I did mine as a Schedule C as well. For those who don't know, the main tax implication of the schedule C versus "other income" is that you pay FICA taxes on a Schedule C (Employee & employer portion) but not on "other income". However, I do taxes every year at a VITA site & we are extremely limited in what we will consider "other income". The main types of income we put there are relatives getting payment for foster care, jury duty, nominal fees for surveys, and election judging. Any other 1099 always goes on a Schedule C, even if it's fairly small. I think it's the safest route.

Another difference that might matter to some folks is that Schedule C net income is considered earned income for things like IRA contributions and the EITC.  Other income is not.  That's my understanding anyway.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4771 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
Well, maybe as a warning and a data point, one of my cards that I had AUís on came under review (US Bank, not with old or new company....as a side note I have no idea who old or new company are since all references to them are in this code, but I suspect that one of the tradeline companies for another card I have is ďold company ď).

It seems one of the AUs was under review himself, for reasons unknown to me (maybe he was trying to apply for his own card?). When they looked at my account since he was an AU, they were suspicious about the number of AUs I had on it (7) and they threatened to shut my account down in 30 days. I was able to save the account, but only if I removed the AUs. Itís a bummer since that was my oldest account, so it was the most lucrative per AU. I let the tradeline company know and they understood I had to remove the AUs to keep the card. We also decided itís probably not a good idea to use it again for AUs anymore as it has been flagged. It was good while it lasted, and it was still worth it compared to not getting anything for it I suppose.

I wouldnít have been that disappointed if I lost it, but I am seasoning  another card with them with a cash back offer now, so i donít want to get completely banned from them at this point.

DeniseNJ

• Bristles
« Reply #4772 on: February 18, 2021, 09:17:44 AM »
Do tax forms come in the mail or email or do you go to the website to get them? When do you expect them? Has anyone else received them yet? I forget if I'm with old or new company but not sure how long I should wait.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4773 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »
Do tax forms come in the mail or email or do you go to the website to get them? When do you expect them? Has anyone else received them yet? I forget if I'm with old or new company but not sure how long I should wait.

All of the above, depending on which company and how you're set up.  You should expect a Form 1099-NEC, and you should have either received it by now or had it made available to you.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4774 on: February 18, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »

You go to the PayChex website for the old company.

cooking

• Stubble
« Reply #4775 on: February 24, 2021, 06:48:29 PM »
I just emailed w/Erica of the new company b/c I never received my 1099 from them.  She told me they only send them out when you receive more than $600 from them.  In my case, that's a shame b/c I wanted to have more "earnings" (which posters on this thread have stated that you can count your payments from piggybacking as) so that I could make my full IRA contribution.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4776 on: February 24, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »
Good news for you then! You can, and should, report all income, whether you receive a 1099 or not. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4777 on: February 24, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »
I just emailed w/Erica of the new company b/c I never received my 1099 from them.  She told me they only send them out when you receive more than $600 from them.  In my case, that's a shame b/c I wanted to have more "earnings" (which posters on this thread have stated that you can count your payments from piggybacking as) so that I could make my full IRA contribution.

If you report it as hobby income or other income on Schedule 1 line 8, then it is not counted as earned income and cannot be the basis for an IRA contribution.

If you report it as Schedule C income, then it is earned income and can be the basis for an IRA contribution.

As ARS points out, even if you don't receive a 1099 from the company, you still should report the income.

So if, say, you received $75 from them and reported it on Schedule C, you would be entitled to make $75 worth of IRA contribution.  (Assuming of course that you met all the other requirements to make an IRA contribution, but the requirements for that are pretty low these days.)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4778 on: March 01, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
Had a sheriff's deputy stop by the house today looking to serve a summons for one of my AUs. I told him the truth, that she had been an authorized user on my credit card, but that she didn't live here and I'd never met her. Would probably have been a little scary had it not been that I had the FBI call once about an AU a few years ago... After that, it's gonna take more than that to rattle me!

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4779 on: March 01, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »
Had a sheriff's deputy stop by the house today looking to serve a summons for one of my AUs. I told him the truth, that she had been an authorized user on my credit card, but that she didn't live here and I'd never met her. Would probably have been a little scary had it not been that I had the FBI call once about an AU a few years ago... After that, it's gonna take more than that to rattle me!

Thanks for sharing with the community so we know in advance that these things can happen. I once had someone from the Stateís Attorneys office stop by looking for an AU, and I was unsure at the time if it was a previous AU or not. How do you know it was really the FBI that called you a few years ago?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4780 on: March 02, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing with the community so we know in advance that these things can happen. I once had someone from the Stateís Attorneys office stop by looking for an AU, and I was unsure at the time if it was a previous AU or not. How do you know it was really the FBI that called you a few years ago?

Went back and looked at my notes - it was actually the Department of Homeland Security. I suppose to answer your question, I don't know it was them. However, the phone number was (312)-000-0000 and they introduced themselves as being from DHS. The person I spoke to was not at all pushy or otherwise raising any scam red flags, just asked about the person and if they lived at my address, if I had any knowledge of their nationality, political affiliation, etc. I admitted I didn't know them and that they didn't live at my address, they asked a couple more questions, thanked me for my time, and let me go. They overall were very cool and detached and exactly what I would expect from someone from a legit government agency. Can I be 100% certain? No, but I have no reason to believe they weren't exactly who they said they were.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4781 on: March 03, 2021, 06:14:59 AM »
I would think that pointing any authorities to the tradeline company to find out where the suspect actually lives would be helpful.  The longer I've been selling tradelines, the more often I receive collection notices on one of them at least weekly.  I sort of chuckle with every notice and the offers.  Yes, I open them and look to see what the letter says (OMG, I'm committing a Federal offence!).  Most say something like "Your original debt was $2950.  Collection costs are $495.  We're offering you a one time deal to pay $1953 or 10 payments of $200.12."

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4782 on: March 03, 2021, 07:36:16 AM »
I would think that pointing any authorities to the tradeline company to find out where the suspect actually lives would be helpful.  The longer I've been selling tradelines, the more often I receive collection notices on one of them at least weekly.  I sort of chuckle with every notice and the offers.  Yes, I open them and look to see what the letter says (OMG, I'm committing a Federal offence!).  Most say something like "Your original debt was $2950.  Collection costs are $495.  We're offering you a one time deal to pay $1953 or 10 payments of $200.12."
I would not volunteer any information to any authority. You have no obligation to be helpful.

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4783 on: March 04, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
Just tried to add an AU to my barclaycard. First message was "user not added" and then on the Account Services page, the Au's name was highlighted and Barclays requested additional information - to confirm DOB, citizenship, relationship and address, which I did. So now the AU is shown on the list of AUs but I didn't get any messages or emails confirming that AU was added.

Question: does it mean the AU wasn't added? Has anyone seen anything similar?

dantheman46

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4784 on: March 04, 2021, 06:21:54 PM »
Just tried to add an AU to my barclaycard. First message was "user not added" and then on the Account Services page, the Au's name was highlighted and Barclays requested additional information - to confirm DOB, citizenship, relationship and address, which I did. So now the AU is shown on the list of AUs but I didn't get any messages or emails confirming that AU was added.

I believe once they're fully added, they will show up as having a card which the last 4 digits of will be displayed.

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4785 on: March 05, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »

I believe once they're fully added, they will show up as having a card which the last 4 digits of will be displayed.

Yes I can see the last four digits and other details, same as usual. What's weird is that I didn't get the usual confirmation email. Anyway it looks like it's been added.

Michael in ABQ

• Handlebar Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #4786 on: March 07, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
My last sale with the old company was in September. Anyone else seeing a slowdown? That card did hit the 2-year mark in October so it went from $25 to $125 per spot (and presumably for buyers the price went up considerably as well). Unfortunately, I haven't had any sales on it since it went up to the higher amount. Looking at the consumer side of the website it looks like my card is probably priced in the $750+ range but there's similar cards that are sub $500.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4787 on: March 07, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
I've seen a slowdown as well since the fall (after tons of sales last year). I'm thinking there may be a sales boost soon due to tax refunds and stimulus checks; we'll see.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4788 on: March 08, 2021, 05:24:10 AM »
Yep! Big time slowdown. I have 2-3 more cards aging into the system this year so we'll see if things pick up.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4789 on: March 08, 2021, 05:35:08 AM »
I mean most of the sales are people trying to buy a home or a car.  Have to figure thereís some seasonality to that and a comeback ahead.  If rising rates cool the mortgage market that might slow things as well.

DK82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4790 on: March 09, 2021, 07:01:08 PM »
I emailed the old company and got a reply that they're not adding anyone new, but I'd be put on a waitlist (or something like that).  Fair enough. 

Emailed the new company and didn't get any sort of reply --- do they just not reply when they're not adding new people, or should I follow up?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4791 on: March 09, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »
I emailed the old company and got a reply that they're not adding anyone new, but I'd be put on a waitlist (or something like that).  Fair enough. 

Emailed the new company and didn't get any sort of reply --- do they just not reply when they're not adding new people, or should I follow up?

Their customer service in general tends to be like that. I'd give it a bit and then follow up.

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4792 on: March 10, 2021, 03:18:53 PM »
I've seen a slowdown as well since the fall (after tons of sales last year). I'm thinking there may be a sales boost soon due to tax refunds and stimulus checks; we'll see.

I just about hit 100 sales, so I ran a quick chart on my spreadsheet. I'm showing most of my orders come in Dec-Jan-Feb and then level off after that for the rest of the year.

I guess, though, by having cards with both Old and New company, that my payments tend to be pretty even all year round... the Old company will pay me for those Dec-Jan-Feb sales in Feb & March. The New company won't make payments for the same sales until Aug/Sept/Oct given how slow they are... so overall it tends to level out over the whole year! /s LOL

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4793 on: March 15, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
Question for the group on Barclays.

One company I sell with asks for AUs to be called in so you can give the social, the other just to do it online without the social.  So far all of the ones I've done online have posted for me but a saw on here someone had some issues with Barclays posting.  Anyone have a sense if calling in makes a difference?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4794 on: March 15, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »

One company I sell with asks for AUs to be called in so you can give the social, the other just to do it online without the social.  So far all of the ones I've done online have posted for me but a saw on here someone had some issues with Barclays posting.  Anyone have a sense if calling in makes a difference?

I have been adding online only for at least a year with no posting issues.

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4795 on: March 15, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »

What's weird is... the old company tells me to do it online only. That works fine with the Barclay card I have with them.

The new company tells me to call in, for a different Barclay card I have with that company. That also works fine.

BUT... a couple of times i've switched the procedures because I forgot which company was which, and sure enough, when I tried to call in and add for the old company, instead of doing it online, it didn't post, and when I went online for new company instead of calling, it didn't post either. Maybe just a random chance occurrence. But since I rarely use either card as my daily card in my wallet, I just taped a post-it to both reminding me which is the call-in and which is online.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4796 on: March 15, 2021, 03:16:01 PM »
I have Barclays with the new company and tbh I never call, but I do enter the address online. That amount of info seems to be plenty to make it post, at least in my experience.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4797 on: March 17, 2021, 10:02:02 PM »
I just sold my first spot on my barclays and I entered it online without ssn, but used DOB and address.   

When I log into the portal on the old company it shows a scanned jpeg of the ss card and drivers license for a previous AU I've added to my discover card.  It's listed in the "issues" column. Discover never requested anything from me so I don't know why it's there.  Anyone know what's up with that?  I haven't seen that in any other AU I've had.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #4798 on: March 19, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »
I'm at a point where I can and want to apply for new credit cards for SUBs and seasoning for piggybacking.

If I apply for new cards from issuers with which I currently have existing piggybacking CCs, then they may shift some CL from my existing piggybacking CCs in order to approve the new card.  This has been fairly common practice in my experience.

I do not want this to happen, because I don't want to have the CL reduced on any line where I have active piggybacking AUs because it would give them less than what they contracted for.

Does anyone know of any way to apply for a new card and ensure that the issuer won't do this?  I am not aware of any and thought I would ask.

(I do know if I act quickly I can usually reverse these kinds of decisions, but that seems like unpleasant hassle to me and I'd rather find a different way if one exists.)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4799 on: March 19, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
I just had that happen to me with a Chase card (that I don't sell TLs on)--applied for a new one to get the SW companion pass for post-vaccine times and got pending, then a few days later (with no action on my part) an approved, but they shifted some credit around.

If I were selling lines on the card they moved from, I'd just wait until after a statement close/no one on it (tough if the bonus you're applying for is time sensitive, may need to shut down the card for a month), hit the min spend bonus on the new card and pay it off immediately, then shift the credit back.