Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1296025 times)

erutio

• Pencil Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #4700 on: January 11, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
For the old company, I remove when the payment closes.  Never been a problem.

Do you mean the date you are paid?  ie 30/31 of the month

thanks

Yep.  Usually a few days later, if I remember. 

This is not what they recommend though, so proceed at your own risk.

Michael in ABQ

• Handlebar Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #4701 on: January 11, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »
Just got a call asking for one of my recent tradelines. I said I think you have the wrong number and said I'd never heard of the person (it was a woman's name). I'm guessing it was a collections agency of some sort that saw my address pop up on her credit report. The name sounded vaguely familiar and I had to check my spreadsheet I keep of tradelines to make sure. Oh well, small price to pay. Maybe this will help confuse the various data aggregators that already have all of my personal information in a thousand databases.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4702 on: January 11, 2021, 10:00:04 AM »
For the old company, I remove when the payment closes.  Never been a problem.

Do you mean the date you are paid?  ie 30/31 of the month

thanks

Yep.  Usually a few days later, if I remember. 

This is not what they recommend though, so proceed at your own risk.

Thanks for the reply.

I hope they fix the problem soon.  Seems to have started just a few months ago.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4703 on: January 11, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
Just got a call asking for one of my recent tradelines. I said I think you have the wrong number and said I'd never heard of the person (it was a woman's name). I'm guessing it was a collections agency of some sort that saw my address pop up on her credit report. The name sounded vaguely familiar and I had to check my spreadsheet I keep of tradelines to make sure. Oh well, small price to pay. Maybe this will help confuse the various data aggregators that already have all of my personal information in a thousand databases.

I've had this happen a few times too. I'm pretty sure it's just debt collectors. I tell them they have the wrong number and I never hear from them again.

Just a reminder to everyone: you have no responsibility for an AU's debts.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4704 on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:48 AM »

I've had this happen a few times too. I'm pretty sure it's just debt collectors. I tell them they have the wrong number and I never hear from them again.

I have had these calls from time to time. And then a couple of years ago someone knocked on my door, showed me his badge, and claimed he was from the State’s Attorney’s office! He showed me some paperwork with a photo and asked if I knew the person. The name did not ring a bell, but as soon as he left, I searched my record of AUs, and sure enough, it was an AU I had previously added!

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4705 on: January 12, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »

I have had these calls from time to time. And then a couple of years ago someone knocked on my door, showed me his badge, and claimed he was from the State’s Attorney’s office! He showed me some paperwork with a photo and asked if I knew the person. The name did not ring a bell, but as soon as he left, I searched my record of AUs, and sure enough, it was an AU I had previously added!

To those who are just considering selling tradelines, if you are not prepared to deal with this situation or things like banks  doing fraud investigations and shutting down your cards, maybe find other things to do.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4706 on: January 12, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »

Hah!

That's an interesting story. I have one that might top it, but it's still in a tentative phase where I can't discuss it yet.

I a month or two though expect a good one...
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #4707 on: January 13, 2021, 02:52:21 PM »

To those who are just considering selling tradelines, if you are not prepared to deal with this situation or things like banks  doing fraud investigations and shutting down your cards, maybe find other things to do.

Agree with this advice! I was shaking the entire time, thinking he’s probably asking about one of the AUs. I also wondered if they were possibly investigating me! But this was ~3 years ago and nothing ever came of it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4708 on: January 14, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »

I experienced something similar a couple years ago. A big repo man showed up looking for an AUs vehicle. I was very nice and courteous to him. I even opened the garage to show him there was no vehicle of such kind and explained that I have been living in our current home for several years. He seemed taken back that I was being very kind to him. So much so that he said he could tell I was telling the truth. It just happened that the AU lived in the same state as me and actually had family in the same town. I think I prefer the occasional mail and phone call. Ha!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4709 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:48 AM »
FYI, I emailed new company for payment dating back to July of last year. They responded immediately and I was paid the very next day. Maybe it's getting better?

Edit: to add it was the new company not the old company.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:02:36 PM by MasterStache »

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #4710 on: January 14, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
FYI, I emailed old company for payment dating back to July of last year. They responded immediately and I was paid the very next day. Maybe it's getting better?
(edited~ oops! I was talking about the new company)
The owner of NEW (edited) Company is wonderful and prompt about paying WHEN I INQUIRE. But it's not automatic. I also wrote about payments from July and August last week and he was polite and gave me a dollar amount and asked if that matched my records, and sent it immediately. 

I don't understand why they don't have the payments automated. He knew the amount he owed (or rather was able to look it up quickly) but nobody is sending it until asked.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:12:09 PM by beekayworld »

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4711 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »
Are the last couple of posts talking about the new company or old company?

In my experience and in the history of this (long) thread, it's always been the new company with late payment problems.  So much so that I stopped using them and work only with the old company now. 

The old company has always been prompt with payments and it's fully automated.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4712 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »
Are the last couple of posts talking about the new company or old company?

In my experience and in the history of this (long) thread, it's always been the new company with late payment problems.  So much so that I stopped using them and work only with the old company now. 

The old company has always been prompt with payments and it's fully automated.

Not the posters but I think you are right.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4713 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
This thread has been going on for so long now, the "new" company isn't exactly new.  I know the reasons why we didn't want to name the companies before, but can we start using abbreviations for them, like TLM or BC101 and CCPro?

Moderators: Please delete if even the above is not allowed.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4714 on: January 14, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
I've received payments monthly like clockwork from the old company.  I didn't pay attention and went over a year without payment from the new company until I first emailed them a breakdown, then sent a copy to Joe, who I assume sent it in as I was paid shortly after that.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #4715 on: January 14, 2021, 04:13:57 PM »
I've received payments monthly like clockwork from the old company.  I didn't pay attention and went over a year without payment from the new company until I first emailed them a breakdown, then sent a copy to Joe, who I assume sent it in as I was paid shortly after that.

Yes, I misspoke. The old company does operate like clockwork for me just as you say. The NEW company is the one that waits for me to ask.  However, they have always paid.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #4716 on: January 14, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
This thread has been going on for so long now, the "new" company isn't exactly new.  I know the reasons why we didn't want to name the companies before, but can we start using abbreviations for them, like TLM or BC101 and CCPro?

I joined the NEW company first. The old company wasn't open to new cards.  Later I was able to join the old company. So in my mind I think of them backwards sometimes since I joined NEW first and OLD recently.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4717 on: January 14, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »

I joined the NEW company first. The old company wasn't open to new cards.  Later I was able to join the old company. So in my mind I think of them backwards sometimes since I joined NEW first and OLD recently.

Me too. I edited my comment as I actually meant the new company. Old company still pays like clockwork.

Michael in ABQ

• Handlebar Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #4718 on: January 17, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
As tax filing time is upon us, I'm curious how everyone categorizes their expenses for their tradeline sales?

I only made $400 in 2020 but I had two annual credit card fees and I'm trying to decide whether to put those under "Credit card, loan, and other interest" which I believe will be filled in block 16b on my Schedule C, or if some other category makes more sense.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4719 on: January 17, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
As tax filing time is upon us, I'm curious how everyone categorizes their expenses for their tradeline sales?

I only made $400 in 2020 but I had two annual credit card fees and I'm trying to decide whether to put those under "Credit card, loan, and other interest" which I believe will be filled in block 16b on my Schedule C, or if some other category makes more sense.

I think line 10 (Commissions and fees) would make more sense.

MoneyTree

• Stubble
« Reply #4720 on: January 18, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
So some of us got messages from Discover last year that we had to wait to add more authorized users. I had a message that I could not add any more Authorized users until after 12/19/20.

But today, I log into Discover to add my next batch of AUs and now it says that I cannot add anymore until 6/14/21? I haven't added any users to that card in months, so I' not sure why that date was extended for no reason.

Have any of you Discover users run into this? The chat agent told me I had to call their customer protection phone number for help, but I'm hesitant to do so, because if they look further into my account they'll see a ton of past authorized users and might shut me down.

dantheman46

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4721 on: January 18, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
So some of us got messages from Discover last year that we had to wait to add more authorized users. I had a message that I could not add any more Authorized users until after 12/19/20.

But today, I log into Discover to add my next batch of AUs and now it says that I cannot add anymore until 6/14/21? I haven't added any users to that card in months, so I' not sure why that date was extended for no reason.

Have any of you Discover users run into this? The chat agent told me I had to call their customer protection phone number for help, but I'm hesitant to do so, because if they look further into my account they'll see a ton of past authorized users and might shut me down.

I had that message from Discover and put my card on hold with the TL company until I was able to add more online(3 months). They said I should be able to call in and add without an issue but I decided to play it safe.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #4722 on: January 19, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »
Michael in ABQ, that's interesting to note on the internal trade limit. What's the plan after that limit is reached for said card? I'm wondering if there ever comes a time when you can begin using it for tradelines again. Barclay's has been really good for me in the tradeline space and I'd hope to keep it going. Perhaps I will open another card and let it season for 2 years to hit the bigger tradeoffs.

Are there any other internal AU limits for other cards? If so, how would we find out about them?

After I reached the limit on my Barclay card I was able to transfer the available credit to a second Barclay card that I had opened 2 years ago. One was 7k and one was 8k, so it ended up being 15k.

I asked if I could change the card that reached the AU limit to something else, but they said they couldn’t change it, I would have to apply for a new card.

I don’t know of limits for any other cards, I haven’t run into any limits except for Barclays.

falsekrakk808

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4723 on: January 19, 2021, 09:06:05 PM »
Michael in ABQ, that's interesting to note on the internal trade limit. What's the plan after that limit is reached for said card? I'm wondering if there ever comes a time when you can begin using it for tradelines again. Barclay's has been really good for me in the tradeline space and I'd hope to keep it going. Perhaps I will open another card and let it season for 2 years to hit the bigger tradeoffs.

Are there any other internal AU limits for other cards? If so, how would we find out about them?

After I reached the limit on my Barclay card I was able to transfer the available credit to a second Barclay card that I had opened 2 years ago. One was 7k and one was 8k, so it ended up being 15k.

I asked if I could change the card that reached the AU limit to something else, but they said they couldn’t change it, I would have to apply for a new card.

I don’t know of limits for any other cards, I haven’t run into any limits except for Barclays.
Anonymouscow, that's good to know. I didn't think to open another Barclays card now so that'll season in time for the first one to reach it's limits. My initial thought was the limit applied to all Barclays cards, apparently not which is good news. Now, I have homework to find a decent Barclays card to apply for.

MoneyTree

• Stubble
« Reply #4724 on: January 19, 2021, 10:38:42 PM »

I had that message from Discover and put my card on hold with the TL company until I was able to add more online(3 months). They said I should be able to call in and add without an issue but I decided to play it safe.

Yeah, I'm just going to play it safe and just wait it out, no point in drawing additional scrutiny to that card as it has been a good seller and is easy to add/remove AUs. I'll just put the card on hold with my TL company until June.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4725 on: January 21, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
Might be a stretch as I know most here don't sell spots on Amx but after around 50 adds they took away my ability to add online.  This card is by far my best seller so hope to not lose it but if  so it was a good run.

Account still active, no shutdown. Anyone else run into this?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4726 on: January 21, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Might be a stretch as I know most here don't sell spots on Amx but after around 50 adds they took away my ability to add online.  This card is by far my best seller so hope to not lose it but if  so it was a good run.

I thought Amex didn't work because they don't report to the credit agencies (thus no benefit to the AU). How did you get Amex to work?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4727 on: January 21, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »
Amex does report, it just reports the date the AU was added as the card opening date. So they don't get the longevity or card history, jus the credit limit. Way less of a benefit. But some of the TL companies will take them. Not many, for good reasons.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and are now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about us, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4728 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »
The companies that do take Amex (credit cards only) take them and sell them to a client along with a card with age... because Amex doesn't report the age of the account.   So a high limit Amex and a card that's been around for some time together have a more positive impact than an older but lower limit card on it's own.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4729 on: January 21, 2021, 10:32:24 AM »

Did they send you any sort of notice?  Or did the "Add AU" button just disappear from your online account?

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4730 on: January 21, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
When I click on add AU I get "We are sorry, you are not able to apply for an Additional Card online."

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4731 on: January 22, 2021, 06:38:11 AM »
So my tradeline company let me know that a lot of people are having trouble adding Amex AUs online.  So doesn't seem to be just me. 

Seems like the worst they will do to anyone is a financial review which can get you shutdown, but they just want to make sure you can pay your bills.

Always good when the best earning card lives another day.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4732 on: January 22, 2021, 08:18:18 AM »
So my tradeline company let me know that a lot of people are having trouble adding Amex AUs online.  So doesn't seem to be just me. 

Seems like the worst they will do to anyone is a financial review which can get you shutdown, but they just want to make sure you can pay your bills.

Good info - thanks!  I don't sell AU spots on Amex myself.

Not to get too far off topic but wondering if any of you happen to know....  I had an amex card in the early 2000's and closed it at some point.  I got a new amex a couple of years ago.  I recently noticed that it shows "Member since 2000" in their site and emails.  Is that normal?  Based on the way they handle AU's and just common sense, it seems odd.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4733 on: January 22, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »
My experience on Amex with "Member since" has been pretty random.  Got a new card and it said member since 2020, while my other cards correctly say 01.

Also noticed for some of the AUs I've added Amex pulls the member since date, looking at an AU card right now that says member since 99.  I'm guessing like you that many of the AUs I've added with a member since from the past had or have a gap in membership.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4734 on: January 28, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
Late to the game here but interested. Since 2016, what has significantly changed with all this? It seems like it's harder to get as many AUs as it was prior? For those of you still actively doing this, what are you bringing in per card, on average, and what are some of the risks/caveats you've faced these days?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4735 on: January 28, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »
ptf

MoneyTree

• Stubble
« Reply #4736 on: January 28, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
I don’t think much has changed except the 2 TL companies mentioned here got flooded with cards.

This past year, there was a big spike in demand for tradeline slots, probably because a lot of people were looking to get mortgages and take advantage of super low rates.

The only caveat that I can really think of is that I regularly get calls from collections companies looking for past AUs and junk mail for them too.

Worth it, imo.

Michael in ABQ

• Handlebar Stache
    • Military Saints
« Reply #4737 on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »
I've only used the old company and starting about a year ago my newer cheaper cards consistently sold both slots every month but it was only $25 or $50. Since my $25 card turned two years old a few months ago, and the commission increased to $125, I haven't sold a single slot. Hoping that changes soon and my second $50 Barclays card will go to $175 in a couple of months when it hits the two-year mark.

goodlivin23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4738 on: January 29, 2021, 12:22:21 AM »
Hi All,
Quick question - is there anyway to pay your rent by credit card? My landlady typically only takes checks. I know cashiers checks/money orders can't be purchased with a credit card. I buy so very little (yay!) but want to use my cards to have a better chance of increasing my credit limit. I just got 2 new Barclays cards (yay, again) but both limits are only $5k. I saw somewhere on this site where someone explained how you can buy something - similar to a cashiers check - using your credit card.
Thank you!

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4739 on: January 29, 2021, 05:35:00 AM »
There are a few options to use a credit card to pay rent.  Plastiq and radpad? are the two most common.

I’ve made just under $12k since October on TL sales.  Admittedly I have a lot of older ideal cards and I’m taking a risk working with different TL companies (not the ones recommended here).  Best card yields me $450 a spot and my most popular one only $100. Having read this entire thread I’m certainly prepared for a shutdown eventually but have already made enough that it was worth it.  If someone offered you thousands of dollars to close one of your many credit cards and not work with that bank again, I assume you’d be all over it. 

Sales are driven by mortgage activity and car buying so no doubt that helped.

Seeking credit card bonuses is also a nice way to  season the next generation of cards.  Since the fall I’ve added a few that will be nice money makers in 2 years. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:37:28 AM by harrydogyo »

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4740 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:23 AM »

I have run into that problem, I added about 55 AU to Amex - they may just have a 55 AU limit, or it is a web site issue.
I can still use my card, not shut down.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4741 on: January 29, 2021, 08:39:09 AM »
Thanks BikeFanatic for the data point.

it used to be up to 99 and then you reset after a year and you could move CL and do adds to another card... but both of my personal Amex cards are restricted with adding online and over the phone.  But the good part is not losing the card itself and no financial review.  Still money to be made with 6% on grocery spend until the AUs come back.

Nutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4742 on: January 29, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
Hi All,
Quick question - is there anyway to pay your rent by credit card? My landlady typically only takes checks. I know cashiers checks/money orders can't be purchased with a credit card. I buy so very little (yay!) but want to use my cards to have a better chance of increasing my credit limit. I just got 2 new Barclays cards (yay, again) but both limits are only $5k. I saw somewhere on this site where someone explained how you can buy something - similar to a cashiers check - using your credit card.
Thank you!
I also just received 2 Barclay's cards.  Using the online option, I requested a CL increase on one and immediately got it.  I've read that you can bump the Credit Limits (CL) every 6 months without a pull on your credit score.  I set a reminder.

chuckster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4743 on: January 29, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
Late to the game here but interested. Since 2016, what has significantly changed with all this? It seems like it's harder to get as many AUs as it was prior? For those of you still actively doing this, what are you bringing in per card, on average, and what are some of the risks/caveats you've faced these days?

I find it's seasonal with New Company. I've got 5 cards with them, and in the latter half of the year, three or four are booked solid ($10K cards, 2-3 years old), while the fifth card--my oldest, highest limit (20 years old, $28K), most expensive sale--only sees a couple of sales per year, sometimes none.

Old Company, I've got three cards in the lowest range ($1k - $10k and 1-3 years old) and they're oversold--I'm using three or four of my "two" spots regularly. They sell new slots a day or two before the old slots are even due to be removed.

Been in since mid-2017, about to hit 100 total sales. Had 25 orders in the last calendar year... five in the first six months, 20 in the last six months. I think 25 might be the most I've had in a year, and they brought in about $3000 total last year. So $120/order average.

Don't think I can speak to any risks... haven't had any problems at all. Just easy churn in and out. I don't care about the cards and I'm fine if they get shut down and closed. All I really have to keep an eye on is keeping some ready to add in the future.

secondcor521

• Magnum Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4744 on: January 29, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
They sell new slots a day or two before the old slots are even due to be removed.

This happens to me as well.  When I asked them about it, they said they are generally OK with me waiting to add the new AU until after the old slot is due to be removed as long as the new AU is added before the closing date on the card.  In all cases like this for me so far, there has always been a day or two window for me to do it that way.

So for example, they'll release a new AU to me on the 20th, old AU is due to come off on the 22nd, and closing date is the 25th.  I just wait, remove the old AU on the 22nd or 23rd, then add the new AU right afterward.  I could wait to add the new AU until the 24th if I wanted to.  But for me it's easiest to do it all in one sitting.

Reddart67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4745 on: February 04, 2021, 04:33:02 AM »

Same here. I only have had 22 au so far. I hope it’s only a temporary glitch, and not a crackdown on tradeline sellers.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4746 on: February 04, 2021, 05:19:20 AM »
Quick update for Amex.  I was successful adding over chat and I heard others are successful over the phone. Must just be the website for some... though I know it’s working for others.  But glad at least for now it’s not appearing to be a crackdown.

Padonak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4747 on: February 07, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
Does the old company accept amex? How much do they pay for amex cards? I thought amex didn't report credit card age.

harrydogyo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4748 on: February 07, 2021, 12:04:20 PM »
The companies recommended here don’t take Amex (scroll up for a previous answer) and you’re correct they don’t report age.  But other TL companies will sell Amex spots often along with an aged card from another bank as buyers  do get the benefit of the CL from Amex.

I get $175 a spot for my $60k Amex credit card but I don’t know of any standard offers for them.

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4749 on: February 09, 2021, 07:37:37 AM »
I love how this beats the reporting agencies at their own game!!  It has always annoyed me that you sometimes have to pay to obtain data on YOURSELF, and that they hold it over your head.  Also that it often makes zero sense! For years I avoided debt & when it came to getting a mortgage I thought I'd be golden, but it turned out, not having debt was a mark against me, SMH.  So I remember getting a credit card just to boost my credit score & was shocked my score jumped by 50 points.  Since then I've set myself up to have a good score in a backwards way, eg I also took a small loan out when buying a car & paid it to almost zero to get the $1k cash back & to get the credit score boost. 

I recently froze my credit too so that my data supposedly can't be shared with others.  Amazing how once that happened I get so much desperate advertising for cheap loans etc.  Anyways love this trade line selling idea!!