Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901588 times)

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3850 on: February 07, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
ARS, how does adding someone as a AU change their DTI? Don't their debt and income stay the same?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3851 on: February 07, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
ARS, how does adding someone as a AU change their DTI? Don't their debt and income stay the same?
Pretty sure he meant credit utilization ratio.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3852 on: February 07, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Pretty sure he meant credit utilization ratio.
I did, thanks for the clarification. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3853 on: February 07, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
What other credit card companies(that work for tradelines) have a completely online system for adding AUs? I have USAA, Discover, CapitalOne and Barclays currently. Calling in every time for USAA can be a bit of a hassle sometimes. Trying to get a few more cards seasoning for if/when cards start getting accepted again. Also, does anyone know if I can add my wife's cards to my account too?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3854 on: February 07, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
Also, does anyone know if I can add my wife's cards to my account too?

With old company, you can do under your account or establish a second account.  Up to you/wife.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3855 on: February 07, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
Unfortunately both old and new company aren't accepting new cards right now, unless they're very old/high limit.

Thanks again @arebelspy for sharing this little side business with the rest of us.

Question: Do you know what the old company is looking for these days in terms of cards?  Wondering if you know the current definition of 'high limit'.  I have some I would like to add but they were not the right fit the last time they opened up for new cards.  Thanks for any info!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3856 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:25 PM »
What other credit card companies(that work for tradelines) have a completely online system for adding AUs? I have USAA, Discover, CapitalOne and Barclays currently. Calling in every time for USAA can be a bit of a hassle sometimes. Trying to get a few more cards seasoning for if/when cards start getting accepted again. Also, does anyone know if I can add my wife's cards to my account too?

Chase and Barclays are the ones I know for sure.  USBank you have to call in for adds, but can SM to remove.  I've shifted to SMs to remove in all cases just because it's easiest for me that way and seems to work just fine.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3857 on: February 08, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »

Chase and Barclays are the ones I know for sure.  USBank you have to call in for adds, but can SM to remove.  I've shifted to SMs to remove in all cases just because it's easiest for me that way and seems to work just fine.

Another one is Elan.  Fidelity Rewards card in my case.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3858 on: February 08, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »
Unfortunately both old and new company aren't accepting new cards right now, unless they're very old/high limit.

Thanks again @arebelspy for sharing this little side business with the rest of us.

Question: Do you know what the old company is looking for these days in terms of cards?  Wondering if you know the current definition of 'high limit'.  I have some I would like to add but they were not the right fit the last time they opened up for new cards.  Thanks for any info!
At least 20k, sometimes 30. They fluctuate based on need.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3859 on: February 09, 2020, 07:20:08 AM »

[/quote]At least 20k, sometimes 30. They fluctuate based on need.
[/quote]

Thanks ARS!

I may need to contact Barclay about combining some CL's then.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3860 on: February 11, 2020, 08:49:22 AM »

USBank:  top: Customer service .... then Self Service .... then Add Authorized User

:D

As of a month ago, old company was accepting old credit over $20k.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:50:57 AM by Car Jack »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3861 on: February 11, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »

USBank:  top: Customer service .... then Self Service .... then Add Authorized User

:D

As of a month ago, old company was accepting old credit over $20k.

Thanks!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3862 on: February 11, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
Regarding late payments from the new company, several people reached out to me about lack of payment from adds last year.

I've been in touch with the owner and I believe everyone has been paid. Please contact me if you haven't, especially if you contacted me before, but haven't heard anything yet.

Sounds like a lot of disorganization at the new company right now as they go through a couple major transitions--one of their main employees left a month or so ago, leaving a lot of extra work. However, they now have a new hire from Boost My Score who just went out of business, which should enable a lot more streamlining and growth. And they're about to roll out a new portal that will be especially good for resellers, so more sales.

Overall, they're a bit disorganized, and this has been the case for years, and it seemed to be getting worse, but I'm tentatively crossing my fingers that it'll actually trend better.

As always, feel free to contact me with any issues. Sometimes it's easier for the owner to have one point of contact than a lot.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:13:24 PM by arebelspy »

Appledee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3863 on: February 13, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
Hello,
Can anyone recommend any good reputable companies. I've been scammed before and Im hoping someone can help me out before I give up completely.

PM

Thank you

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3864 on: February 13, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »
Hello,
Can anyone recommend any good reputable companies. I've been scammed before and Im hoping someone can help me out before I give up completely.

PM

Thank you

Sending PM now.

stronskr78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3865 on: February 15, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
I have signed up with Wholesale trade line in January 2020,  I have added 15 users to my card and today found out that they have ceased operations.  They are saying that they will honor any orders placed before Feb 10 but I am not sure if I buy that.  Do you guys recommend taking these users off, keep them and hope for a payout?  Any one can recommend any good company to go with?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3866 on: February 15, 2020, 01:41:46 PM »
I would leave them on thats alot of money, maybe you will get half? I leave mine on for two months generally.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3867 on: March 01, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
Has anybody used BBVA credit cards for selling tradelines?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3868 on: March 02, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »

I have a "new, low limit" one with the old company.  2 AUs every 2 months.  If you have an old, high limit card, they'll take it.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3869 on: March 02, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »

I have a "new, low limit" one with the old company.  2 AUs every 2 months.  If you have an old, high limit card, they'll take it.

That's great, thanks. Is it easy to add and remove AUs on their website or do you need to call? Any problems with them like requests for additional documents etc?

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3870 on: March 02, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
You have to call in to add and remove.

I've never had any card ask me for more info.  If any were to, *I* would ignore them.  I only use cards that can crash and burn for AUs, so they're welcome to close my account.  I give zero info, ever.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3871 on: March 04, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

Are you able to add AU online with BBVA? I haven't seen anywhere that's an option...

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3872 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »

Are you able to add AU online with BBVA? I haven't seen anywhere that's an option...

No

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3873 on: March 13, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
Maybe one of us Mustachians could start a tradeline company and fix some of the issues we have been experiencing?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3874 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
Maybe one of us Mustachians could start a tradeline company and fix some of the issues we have been experiencing?

This has been talked about for years in this thread, but no one has stepped up yet. 

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3875 on: March 13, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
I would like to start tradelining, but all my credit cards dont have high enough limits. I will be raising the limits on these as much as I can but if they question my income I might have a problem haha. I just got my first barclays card, the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. I will be getting 60k miles after the first purchase. It has a $99 fee, but after the first year I will downgrade.
I hope to start tradelining this card soon, but I don't think its eligible for the new or the old company. Does anyone have any alternative companies they currently recommend?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3876 on: March 13, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »

If you want to do this, jafr, you'd have a lot of support from people on this forum.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #3877 on: March 13, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
I would like to start tradelining, but all my credit cards dont have high enough limits. I will be raising the limits on these as much as I can but if they question my income I might have a problem haha. I just got my first barclays card, the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard. I will be getting 60k miles after the first purchase. It has a $99 fee, but after the first year I will downgrade.
I hope to start tradelining this card soon, but I don't think its eligible for the new or the old company. Does anyone have any alternative companies they currently recommend?

YMMV but Barclays told me the downgrade option was no longer available on that particular card. I HUCA a LOT and was told the same. I also heard many others with this card receive the same message. So head's up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3878 on: March 14, 2020, 03:11:16 AM »

This has been talked about for years in this thread, but no one has stepped up yet.
ARS tried for real a couple years ago - there are some significant barriers to entry it turns out.

What kinds of barriers?  Questionable legality?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3879 on: March 14, 2020, 12:49:07 PM »
I tried building a tradeline company a couple years ago. The biggest hurdle I faced was finding customers. Who buys AU slots? Most people are completely unaware of them, so they have to be educated. It requires a source of leads and a sales team to go after them. I never found a good answer to this question.

The rest of the stuff - business, accounting, legal, etc - was pretty run-of-the-mill.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3880 on: March 14, 2020, 07:58:44 PM »
The leads are weak.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3881 on: March 16, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »
I tried building a tradeline company a couple years ago. The biggest hurdle I faced was finding customers. Who buys AU slots? Most people are completely unaware of them, so they have to be educated. It requires a source of leads and a sales team to go after them. I never found a good answer to this question.

The rest of the stuff - business, accounting, legal, etc - was pretty run-of-the-mill.

I'm guessing targeted ads online are the best bet.

jafr1284

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3882 on: March 16, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »

I can imagine it would require a significant marketing budget. I wonder what sort of marketing would be most effective at generating leads.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3883 on: March 16, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to see AU's online for Bank of America?  I know that I can add AU online, but I can't seem to find a way to see the AUs.  On the same note, if I just added someone and realized that I made a mistake (I copied "orth" rather than "North" for AU's address"), can I correct it online?  Do I need to call B of A?

Thank you

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3884 on: March 16, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
You'll need to call for both of those things.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3885 on: March 16, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
You'll need to call for both of those things.

Thanks

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3886 on: March 17, 2020, 05:39:17 AM »
I just had an add with the new company, their instructions don't say when I can remove the AU, do you guys know, or does it depend on the bank? 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3887 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »
I just had an add with the new company, their instructions don't say when I can remove the AU, do you guys know, or does it depend on the bank?

They will usually send you a notification when it's time to remove.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3888 on: March 17, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »

They will usually send you a notification when it's time to remove.
thanks

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3889 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
Not sure what's going on with bank of america.  I got a notice to remove an AU so I called up BoA yesterday and was told the wait time was 2 hours and 47 minutes, so I hung up and decided to try again today.  Today I was told it was a 27 minute wait time, and was given the option to get a call back.  That was an hour ago and I haven't been called back.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3890 on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »
Not sure what's going on with bank of america.  I got a notice to remove an AU so I called up BoA yesterday and was told the wait time was 2 hours and 47 minutes, so I hung up and decided to try again today.  Today I was told it was a 27 minute wait time, and was given the option to get a call back.  That was an hour ago and I haven't been called back.
Probably because many call centers are closed and/or employees are missing work.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3891 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:11 PM »
Probably because many call centers are closed and/or employees are missing work.

It also depends on which card you're calling in about.  I think BofA allocates CSRs to various call queues, and doesn't do a good job of it.  So if you have multiple BofA cards, try calling the numbers on the other ones.  I had occasion to call them the other day about two cards of mine; one card was an hour and six minute hold time, and the other was two minutes.  The CSR on the two minute queue was able to help me with both cards.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3892 on: March 23, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »
I have used their online chat function to remove AU before, works great.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3893 on: March 24, 2020, 05:40:41 AM »

They did end up calling me back about 3.5 hours later.  The rep seemed rushed.  He didn't ask me if I got the card back or any of that, he just removed the AU and moved on like he had a backlog of calls 3+ hours out.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3894 on: March 28, 2020, 04:33:44 AM »
If you enroll spouses card, is it necessary to tell the company that the card is in your spouses name?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3895 on: March 28, 2020, 06:08:53 AM »
If you enroll spouses card, is it necessary to tell the company that the card is in your spouses name?

I might set up a spouse as a separate client with a separate email and separate cards, for two reasons.  First, if we were also doing bank bonuses, it would be helpful to have two different paychecks from the company to more easily facilitate getting multiple bank bonuses at a time.  And second, just because I view it as cleaner somehow - it makes things line up with the tradeline company the way things actually are, and it doesn't misrepresent to the tradeline company whose card it actually is.

But as a practical matter, if you're sharing finances, I think it would work just fine.  I can't think of a reason it wouldn't.
 Actually, now that I think about it, there are a couple of minor practical snags to consider:

First, if you get the email to add an AU on your spouse's card and they have to call in to add the AU, then you'd have to coordinate that handoff with your spouse.  Sometimes their can be tight timeframes to add AUs, and if you're busy or don't share an email or aren't otherwise able to coordinate the handoff (and hand-back to mark the AU as added) then that could occasionally create minor issues and perhaps even a situation where you're not able to add the AU in time, which is generally not good for anyone.

Second, from a tax perspective, if you're using your piggybacking income to contribute to a retirement plan, then the income and the retirement plan both have to be in your name.  This could affect you in situations where you're claiming the retirement savings tax credit because there is a per-spouse limit and spouses' contributions are treated individually.  Or if you want to max everything out, then having that income in just your name could hamper that goal, but that is probably only in extreme scenarios.

HTH.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3896 on: March 28, 2020, 06:24:30 AM »

I might set up a spouse as a separate client with a separate email and separate cards, for two reasons.  First, if we were also doing bank bonuses, it would be helpful to have two different paychecks from the company to more easily facilitate getting multiple bank bonuses at a time.  And second, just because I view it as cleaner somehow - it makes things line up with the tradeline company the way things actually are, and it doesn't misrepresent to the tradeline company whose card it actually is.

But as a practical matter, if you're sharing finances, I think it would work just fine.  I can't think of a reason it wouldn't.
 Actually, now that I think about it, there are a couple of minor practical snags to consider:

First, if you get the email to add an AU on your spouse's card and they have to call in to add the AU, then you'd have to coordinate that handoff with your spouse.  Sometimes their can be tight timeframes to add AUs, and if you're busy or don't share an email or aren't otherwise able to coordinate the handoff (and hand-back to mark the AU as added) then that could occasionally create minor issues and perhaps even a situation where you're not able to add the AU in time, which is generally not good for anyone.

Second, from a tax perspective, if you're using your piggybacking income to contribute to a retirement plan, then the income and the retirement plan both have to be in your name.  This could affect you in situations where you're claiming the retirement savings tax credit because there is a per-spouse limit and spouses' contributions are treated individually.  Or if you want to max everything out, then having that income in just your name could hamper that goal, but that is probably only in extreme scenarios.

HTH.
Thanks.  I'm only wondering whether I will get paid or not by the tradeline company if the name on the card is my husband's not mine and they don't know that. 

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3897 on: March 28, 2020, 07:32:07 AM »

HTH.
Thanks.  I'm only wondering whether I will get paid or not by the tradeline company if the name on the card is my husband's not mine and they don't know that.

They pay you as long as the line shows up on the AU's report.  All you represent to the TL company is the issuer (Citi, Chase, etc), the age of the line (3 years or whatever), and the CL ($15,000 or whatever).  Nowhere in the process does your name show up on the AU's report, which is all the AU or the TL company would look at.  So it should work as far as I can tell.

At the end of the year, the 1099 will be issued to you in your name, so again, it could matter from a tax perspective.

Catica

• Bristles
« Reply #3898 on: March 28, 2020, 07:54:15 AM »

HTH.

They pay you as long as the line shows up on the AU's report.  All you represent to the TL company is the issuer (Citi, Chase, etc), the age of the line (3 years or whatever), and the CL ($15,000 or whatever).  Nowhere in the process does your name show up on the AU's report, which is all the AU or the TL company would look at.  So it should work as far as I can tell.

At the end of the year, the 1099 will be issued to you in your name, so again, it could matter from a tax perspective.

Thanks, I hope you are right.  I was concerned because when I login to there system it shows my tradeline and it states that my name is on the credit card.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3899 on: March 28, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »

HTH.

Wouldn't someone purchasing that tradeline get associated with your husband's credit history instead of your credit history if the card is in your husband's name?  There may be a lot of shared accounts on your credit reports, but you will have separate and independent credit reports and I would think each tradeline account would be restricted to only listing cards under their own name. 

My wife isn't signed up, but I am assuming when we do sign her up she will need to provide her SSN, contact info, etc along with the cards, and set up her own account and the tradeline company would deal with her directly.