Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901405 times)

FtWorthAtheist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have a question about Chase and it's tendency to close all your accounts...
My partner has given me access to his personal account.  I think that means I'm a signer on it, not that I co-own it.  If they shutdown my Chase bank account and credit card, I wouldn't cry, but it would be really problematic for my partner if they closed his personal account because he also has his business account with them.  Its much easier for him if his accounts are in the same place, and moving his business account would be a PITA since he gets electronic payments from many sources who would all have to be updated separately.  I don't need to worry about them closing his personal account because of my activity, do I??

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The more they share the more likely it is. E.g. if your name is there, the address the same, etc.  I don't like to risk it with Chase.

Can you just remove your name from his account? Do you need that access?

Chase seems to have more rare closures, but worse consequences when they do.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
I "think" it would be a real stretch for Chase to close your partner's account.  It would be similar to one of the AUs you've added to your Chase card selling tradelines on their own Chase card, getting blacklisted and then blacklisting you as well since they were an AU on your card.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I agree it's a stretch,  but the way Chase systematically goes nuclear when they catch on... I wouldn't personally risk it if it's a concern.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
For some reason I tried add an authorized user on my PNC card, and when I enter the social security number it keeps saying, "Enter a valid SSN"

I did add the number correctly.  Contacted the old company and they said to just not do the add, and that PNC will do that sometimes.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
Just realized two of my oldest BoA cards with the new company appear to be closed with no explanation. Also I applied for a third boa card, was approved but upon activation they told me via automated system the card was closed. I called in but the CSR had no clue what was going on and the department that left info in my account isn't open until Monday. No clue what is going on but the CSR did say the department is not the fraud department so who knows. Anyone have any advice?

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
I just received a settlement  from Discover card.

They had shut down my twenty-year-old plus card with the generic ¨We can no longer meet your service needs¨ letter.

I worked with a lawyer I found through MMM. He was fantastic throughout the process.
Feel free to PM me for his contact info.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I just received a settlement  from Discover card.

What/how much was the settlement? How long did it take?

It was with @PointsLawyer , I presume?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
Settlement was a check.
The terms bar me from sharing the amount, but I was very pleased with the what we received.
Yes, @PointsLawyer  represented me.
We began the process last October, and I signed the agreement last month.
I fully endorse @PointsLawyer
He was excellent throughout the process

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Neat. Thanks for updating/informing us!

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
As a data point for the future. BoA closed 3 cards for me. 2 of them were quite old like 4+ years.  Their letter included discussion of irregular AU activity.

Additionally, they closed a card that they originally approved me for. I applied to the account on say june 1 and was approved, but by june 3rd they had closed it (before the card was even mailed to my address).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Their letter included discussion of irregular AU activity.

My understanding from PointsLawyer is that if this is what they send you, there's no case. If they send you nonsense/generic letter without telling you the reason, then he can pursue a settlement. Likely he will chime in soon.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble

My understanding from PointsLawyer is that if this is what they send you, there's no case. If they send you nonsense/generic letter without telling you the reason, then he can pursue a settlement. Likely he will chime in soon.

Bummer. Frustrating that one of the 3 cards had no AU sales on account of i did not even have a chance to activate the product yet.

Also does anyone have any hypothesis about what this will do to my credit? I am most worried about the card I was approved for and then Boa immmediately closed because i did not even have time to activate it. Will this nuke my average age?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:06:35 AM by hgjjgkj »

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
I didn't know you could sue banks for closing your cards. Does it only work with discover or with other banks too? Citi and bofa closed my cards.

Another question: that was a private settlement, correct? Is there a public record anywhere stating your name, discover as a defendant, the details of the case?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
I didn't know you could sue banks for closing your cards. Does it only work with discover or with other banks too? Citi and bofa closed my cards.

Another question: that was a private settlement, correct? Is there a public record anywhere stating your name, discover as a defendant, the details of the case?

It's a federal law so it would work with any US issuer.

You can only sue them if they violate the law.  Closing your cards doesn't violate the law.  Roughly speaking, closing your cards (or taking any other adverse action, such as lowering your credit limit) without explaining why violates the law.  @PointsLawyer can probably give a better, more precise, explanation.

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Careful. You're going to put me out of business dishing out legal info!

But, yeah, I think a clear, simple explanation like that fulfills the Bank's obligations under the ECOA.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:11:01 PM by PointsLawyer »

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

You can only sue them if they violate the law.  Closing your cards doesn't violate the law.  Roughly speaking, closing your cards (or taking any other adverse action, such as lowering your credit limit) without explaining why violates the law.  @PointsLawyer can probably give a better, more precise, explanation.

Nailed it. I have experience bringing claims against most major banks. Happy to give more precise explanations in a more appropriate forum. Here, I'm just trying to share some generalized legal knowledge.

Not legal advice. Informational purposes only. Not trying to solicit clients.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
I'm still waiting for my settlement.

tj

• Handlebar Stache

Nailed it. I have experience bringing claims against most major banks. Happy to give more precise explanations in a more appropriate forum. Here, I'm just trying to share some generalized legal knowledge.

So if they send you a letter decreasing your limit because you don't use your card as much as they think you should with your limit, that's good enough?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

So if they send you a letter decreasing your limit because you don't use your card as much as they think you should with your limit, that's good enough?

I'm not @PointsLawyer, but for the purposes of the law that is being referenced, as long as they give you a reason for an adverse action, then they're complying with the law, yes.  Of course, there are lots of other laws regarding credit that they have to comply with.  For example, they can't decrease your limit because of your race or gender.

As a practical matter, they won't decrease your limit if you don't use the card very much.  They will close it if you don't use it for a "long" time, where long is usually at least a year.

tj

• Handlebar Stache

I'm not @PointsLawyer, but for the purposes of the law that is being referenced, as long as they give you a reason for an adverse action, then they're complying with the law, yes.  Of course, there are lots of other laws regarding credit that they have to comply with.  For example, they can't decrease your limit because of your race or gender.

As a practical matter, they won't decrease your limit if you don't use the card very much.  They will close it if you don't use it for a "long" time, where long is usually at least a year.

There was a recent thread where AmEx decreased limits on a ton of people. Apparently someone called in and had the original limit reinstated though.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
After 1 year of having 3 credit cards listed... I have sold 2 tradelines! :) $250.... Gonna look into how to add these AUs now.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache

There was a recent thread where AmEx decreased limits on a ton of people. Apparently someone called in and had the original limit reinstated though.

I just got a letter from my Home Depot Citi card, stating that if I don't use it for a purchase before August, that my credit limit will go down. My credit limit had already gone down for that card (8000-5000- now 2500 unless I use it). I probably missed a similar letter a year ago (they usually go to recycling without being opened).

Riker626

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was looking into getting a Barclays card but noticed on their website that they have many off brand cards like Barnes & Noble and AAdvantage Aviator.  For the purpose of trade lines are these considered Barclay cards?

Thanks in advance

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I was looking into getting a Barclays card but noticed on their website that they have many off brand cards like Barnes & Noble and AAdvantage Aviator.  For the purpose of trade lines are these considered Barclay cards?

Thanks in advance
Yes.

cooking

• Stubble
Okay, I'm going to admit up front that I haven't read all 70 pgs. of the thread.  Just the first 3 or so pgs. to get a basic understanding, and then the most recent 3-4 pgs. to see if there were updates as to how active sales have been lately, etc.

I have a Discover card with a $6k limit that's 2 yrs. old. I'm a little confused b/c I see the most recent pages have a few people claiming to have quite a few sales of the cards paying $25 or $50 per sale.  But the charts don't indicate that the New Recommended Company accets/sells any in that range.  So does that mean that those mustachians who are making those sales were already registered with the Old Recommended Company long ago, and therefore newcomers like me need higher limit cards to register with the Old Company?  And that I couldn't register it with the New Company b/c their minimum is $10k?

nightzephyr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Part of what you missed in the middle pages was a time when the Old Company (iirc) was taking younger cards. That time has passed - when I signed up several months ago, I was sent information indicating their normal requirements are $10K limit and 2+ years old (or at least that's the minimums they had listed on the pay schedule). One of their agents also told me that their enrollment was mostly closed at that time, but they would still take cards that were at least $20K and 6 years old - I managed to get in with one that had a lower limit, but met the age requirement.

I'll leave commenting on the New Company to someone who has actually worked with them.

cooking

• Stubble
Thanks Nightzephyr.

Anyone who knows if the $25 and $50 payments that are mentioned as being frequent sales by a few recent posters are just relics that were registered long ago, or if they are accepted by New Company?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
Thanks Nightzephyr.

Anyone who knows if the $25 and $50 payments that are mentioned as being frequent sales by a few recent posters are just relics that were registered long ago, or if they are accepted by New Company?

I have a document from New Company dated 9/24/18 that has those rates for lower tier cards (low limits, low age).  It does seem that the companies throttle payment rates periodically based on supply and demand, so they may still be accepting cards at that level or they may not.  Maybe @arebelspy knows, or you could just ask New Company directly.  Feel free to PM me or @arebelspy for the contact info if you don't have it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The recommendation I always give is just email both companies with your list of cards (including issuer/age/limit) and see what they will/won't take.

It fluctuates, so never hurts to ask. When they do have enrollment drives to take lower limit/younger cards, they tend to email or I post here, but otherwise the easiest thing to be sure is just send a quick email.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
The new/low limit offer was by the old company about a year ago or so.  I threw them everything I had, and 4 cards stuck.  These are $25 payout, 2 month slots.  I fill each card each cycle.  They have, by far been the best paying cards for me because they're so consistent.  Of course, that offer is long gone.

I have some sales with the new company but had to jump through flaming hoops to get them.  I asked to drop a class in payment and they came back to tell me that I'd have to synchronize all of the closing dates on all my cards.  I did.  Of course, that took a couple months.  For June, I got 2 sales.......first sales in a year.

Both companies change their requirements all the time.  Last time I checked with the old company for another of my cards, they were only looking for very old, very high limit cards.  I'm sure it depends on what demand is and they're just reacting to that.

LovinPSDs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've got an 8 yr old Chase card with 14K limit (could probably get this bumped pretty easy).  I know Chase is iffy, but in reality I don't particularly care if something were to happen.  Do you think it's worth me throwing this up there? 

cooking

• Stubble
At the risk of asking a dumb question, can I try to enroll with all my supported cards in both the Old and New Companies at the same time (in order to increase chances of obtaining sales), or would that not work?  I realize that you'd have to be careful about exceeding AU limits in the case of sales on the same card by both companies.  But it seems like some people/cards are not reaching the cardholder's desired goals in terms of frequency of sales, so I'm wondering about enrolling with both companies at once.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
At the risk of asking a dumb question, can I try to enroll with all my supported cards in both the Old and New Companies at the same time (in order to increase chances of obtaining sales), or would that not work?  I realize that you'd have to be careful about exceeding AU limits in the case of sales on the same card by both companies.  But it seems like some people/cards are not reaching the cardholder's desired goals in terms of frequency of sales, so I'm wondering about enrolling with both companies at once.

The problem with that strategy is you don't have any idea when orders will come in. By the time you get the email to add your new AU, the AU company has already completed the sale. If you decline, it puts them in a bad spot and they won't deal with you again.

It's possible you could put company B on hold when you get an order from company A, but then you're constantly holding and unholding your cards and that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

topshot

• Stubble
I've got an 8 yr old Chase card with 14K limit (could probably get this bumped pretty easy).  I know Chase is iffy, but in reality I don't particularly care if something were to happen.  Do you think it's worth me throwing this up there?
If you have no other Chase accounts to lose I suppose. I'm not sure if anyone has stated whether you are also blacklisted from future applications. That would suck if you play the rewards game.

While it could be possible in theory to allow each company to sell only 1 slot (for a max of 2 at any one time), at least the contract you agree to with the new company specifies that you will only deal with them. I did suspend my cards with the new company while I transitioned elsewhere so there was the potential of overlap.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
I received a weird text from an 860 area code number :

" An Official Notice From
The FTC to ALL GTP
Customers
Restraining Order from FTC:
http://sh-url.net/ftcdoc
Support Team
GrandTetonProfessionals.com  "

Of course I didn't click on the link.
But I did an Internet search, and there is an FTC complaint against Grand Tetons for among other things trying to boost credit scores of clients through the use of tradelines.

The FTC document is here:
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/182_3168_grand_teton_complaint_6-21-19.pdf

On page 15 of this document you can read the beginning of this complaint.

I have no idea who Grand Teton Professionals are, and I'm not a customer. 

FrontRanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anybody sell cards with Credit Card Cash Flow (aka Grand Teton Professionals)? I have and they just got hammered with a restraining order from the FTC. Ouch. Questioning this entire industry.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/182-3168/grand-teton-professionals-llc

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Credit Card Cash Flow (aka Grand Teton Professionals)

I have not. @DavidAnnArbor  Have you? I wonder why/how they had your number.

The press release:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2019/06/ftc-stops-operators-fake-credit-repair-scheme

At the Federal Trade Commission’s request, a federal court has temporarily halted and frozen the assets of Grand Teton Professionals, an alleged credit repair scheme that charged illegal upfront fees and falsely claimed to repair consumers’ credit. The company and other defendants are charged with violating the FTC Act and several provisions of the Credit Repair Organizations Act, the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Consumer Review Fairness Act, the Truth in Lending Act, and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
The FTC charges that the defendants, using such trade names as Deletion Experts, Inquiry Busters, and Top Tradelines, used deceptive websites, unsolicited emails, and text messages to target consumers with false promises of substantially improving consumers’ credit scores by claiming to remove all negative items and hard inquiries from consumers’ credit reports. The defendants also falsely claimed to substantially improve consumers’ credit scores by promising to add consumers as “authorized users” to other individuals’ credit accounts, a practice known as adding “tradelines” or “piggybacking” credit. In most instances, however, the defendants were not able to substantially improve consumers’ credit scores.

The complaint also alleges that the defendants charged illegal upfront fees and failed to provide consumers with required disclosures about their credit repair services. The defendants also advised consumers to mislead credit bureaus by filing false identity theft affidavits and to mislead lenders by claiming to be authorized users on other individuals’ credit accounts, according to the FTC.

I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like the bulk of the complaint is about the misleading claims they made (and the upfront fees charged).

From the quoted portion above, it says that the company encouraged clients "to mislead lenders by claiming to be authorized users on other individuals’ credit accounts." Were they encouraging them to merely claim to be authorized users, or were they actually authorized users. If it said "to mislead lenders by temporarily becoming authorized users on other individuals’ credit accounts" I'd be more worried. Though that likely is the case, if they were doing tradelines to try and boost the score.

I am curious how the two tradeline companies I use specifically stay in line with "the FTC Act and several provisions of the Credit Repair Organizations Act, the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Consumer Review Fairness Act, the Truth in Lending Act, and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act."

I am reaching out to both Tradeline companies I use for a comment.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
No I never worked with that company before.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Joe, not sure about everything "our" companies do, but I've had a couple times where an AU has not posted for whatever reason and I'll get a message from the company that because it didn't post, they would be refunding the customer.  Seems very honest and up front to me. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I emailed with the owner of New Company and spoke on the phone with the owner of Old Company for about an hour this evening. Both of them feel comfortable with how they do business to comply with all of the federal credit protection laws. This FTC action seems to be more of an incitement on how this credit repair company was offering specific promises and not delivering based on their deceptive practices.

Neither of the tradeline companies recommended are credit repair companies, nor do they promise or guarantee that a person's credit will go up, or how much. Old company sent me a copy of their agreement with authorized users which notes in the caveats, representations, and warranties section that they "do not and cannot guarantee any specific result or specific increase in credit score."

They do offer a refund if a tradeline doesn't post, as Car Jack mentioned, but they don't offer any promises about what that line will do for one's credit score. The owner of old company indicated they as a company had no complaints that he was aware of with the FTC, BBB, CFPB, etc.

The above company in question clearly did--they were scamming people out of millions by promising things and not delivering, and those people complained, with good reason. That doesn't appear to be the case with either of the TL companies I've used, and that's good.

And, of course, even in the above case where the credit repair company was (allegedly) fraudulently misrepresenting themselves, it doesn't appear that any cardholder of their tradelines were caught up in any sort of issue with it (other than perhaps they didn't get paid when the company's assets got frozen).

I do note that there are other TL companies I've looked into who didn't meet my criteria for one reason or another, but do various "credit repair" besides tradeline sales, which might open them up to some of these type of issues, so it's good to be wary of that.

The FTC in this case is protecting consumers from the scam this company was doing. If they wanted tradeline sales to be illegal, or removed from practice, they could do so (and again, the last time it came up before congress during the FICO 08 thing, the FTC was on the side of forcing the credit bureaus to keep the practice of authorized users allowing credit score improvements).  If I was worried about the legality, I wouldn't participate personally.

So overall, I am not concerned or plan to change my behavior regarding tradeline sales. As always, do your own due diligence, consult whatever legal advisors you feel appropriate (I am not a lawyer, just sharing my uneducated opinion and personal plans), etc.

UyEfQkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've had 3 credit cards from 2 companies shut down in the past month. US Bank closed my account (and REI branded card). Then a couple weeks later Capital One "restricted" my 2 cards with them, only one of which I was selling tradelines on.

Such is life with the US Bank card. But with Capital One they are restricting my brand new Venture card that still has 56,000 points on it from my sign up bonus. They say to remove the restriction I need to provide them with copies of the driver's license and SS card of every AU I ever added. I'm assuming this is not possible but asked the old company anyway; haven't heard back.

I'm also guessing there isn't anything I can do about this so the accounts will get closed.

I only had two other eligible cards; a Chase and a Citi card. I've stopped new sales on them for now. I may continue with Citi but I have several cards and checking with Chase so don't want to those to get shut down.

If I continue this in the future I will make sure to collect all bonuses and rewards as quickly as possible so they don't get lost if/when my accounts get closed.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
I had an REI card closed over a year ago. It was a nice one with a 20K limit. The folks at US Bank said I'd lose my dividend, but when I saw the dividend notice when it came out, all the points were still there on it. So that was good news.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
I've had 3 credit cards from 2 companies shut down in the past month. US Bank closed my account (and REI branded card). Then a couple weeks later Capital One "restricted" my 2 cards with them, only one of which I was selling tradelines on.

Such is life with the US Bank card. But with Capital One they are restricting my brand new Venture card that still has 56,000 points on it from my sign up bonus. They say to remove the restriction I need to provide them with copies of the driver's license and SS card of every AU I ever added. I'm assuming this is not possible but asked the old company anyway; haven't heard back.

I'm also guessing there isn't anything I can do about this so the accounts will get closed.

I only had two other eligible cards; a Chase and a Citi card. I've stopped new sales on them for now. I may continue with Citi but I have several cards and checking with Chase so don't want to those to get shut down.

If I continue this in the future I will make sure to collect all bonuses and rewards as quickly as possible so they don't get lost if/when my accounts get closed.

In my experience, if Citi closes your card for selling TL's, they will just close that one card, not other cards or bank accounts. They may also ban you from getting new citi cards. This could be for life according to some comments.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:26:05 PM by Padonak »

topshot

• Stubble

How many TLs had you sold or currently have on each?

UyEfQkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just started doing this last April. So all of these have been over about a year or so.

I sold 9 TL on my Capital One card plus I added my brother so 10 AU. For the REI branded US Bank card I had 12 AU. These were all with the old company. Had at most 2 at once and left them on for 2 months.

topshot

• Stubble
I sold 9 TL on my Capital One card plus I added my brother so 10 AU. For the REI branded US Bank card I had 12 AU. These were all with the old company. Had at most 2 at once and left them on for 2 months.
Just added the 12th to my USB last week.

Monoposto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Sorry if I have missed this question but I didnt want to dif through tons of pages to come up with no answer.  Is there a limit for the new company on how old the card can be?  For instance I just signed up with discover and Citi cash back cards but obviously dont have the 2 year age limit.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Sorry if I have missed this question but I didnt want to dif through tons of pages to come up with no answer.  Is there a limit for the new company on how old the card can be?  For instance I just signed up with discover and Citi cash back cards but obviously dont have the 2 year age limit.

There is a minimum age limit for a card.  These limits change from time to time.  Ask them.  Last I checked, all cards have to be at least 2 years old and with some credit limit (forget what it is....maybe $10k).  They may have increased both age and limit, though.

Gogore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey, I'm new here, but have been selling tradelines for about a year.   Can someone tell me who the new and old company is referenced in this forum?  I'm looking to find the highest payers. Thanks!