Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901388 times)

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3300 on: March 11, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
Has anybody received recent tradeline orders? I haven't gotten any orders since mid February. Seems odd given that I got a few in a row in January and beginning of February. I wonder if it's seasonal?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:10:45 PM by Padonak »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3301 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
Has anybody received recent tradeline orders? I haven't gotten any orders since mid February. Seems odd given that I got a few in a row in January and beginning of February. I wonder if it's seasonal?

For me it has always gone in spurts.  I think one of the companies says that around tax season it gets busier.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3302 on: March 11, 2019, 08:20:54 PM »
It definitely goes in spurts.

I have had a few orders in the past couple of months.

(This is with the old company).

JasonDetwiler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3303 on: March 13, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »
Citi canceled my TL card as well as my AA miles card.  Fun while it lasted I guess.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3304 on: March 13, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »

Lots from the old company on $25 paying new cards.  Regular card maybe once a quarter from the old company.  Nothing since about October from the new company.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3305 on: March 13, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
Citi canceled my TL card as well as my AA miles card.  Fun while it lasted I guess.

Did you call them and ask for the reason?

Just to clarify, you used one Citi card for tradelines and they cancelled all your cards, not only the one you used?

After AA card closure, I hope you can still keep your AA miles. The miles are with the airline, not the bank.

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3306 on: March 14, 2019, 07:53:12 AM »
Just to clarify, you used one Citi card for tradelines and they cancelled all your cards, not only the one you used?

I'm curious about that as well as I have one of my Citi cards with the old company and would be ok to lose it, but not my other Citi cards

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3307 on: March 14, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »

I only use old company.  Didn't have an order since Nov, then got 4 in a row this month.   We're coming into the best season for real estate purchases so I guess it makes some sense.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3308 on: March 17, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
I got quite a few of the $25 orders on several cards. All but 1 card aged past 2 years recently and I saw a noticeable decline in sales. Probably overloaded with those types of cards. 

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #3309 on: March 17, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »

Nope. i had one in November and nothing since. (new company)

FireEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3310 on: March 18, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »

Nope. i had one in November and nothing since. (new company)
I've had 2 on my $50 line in February and just got an order on my $225 last week. I just bumped up the limit on my third card, so it will probably take a couple of months before I get orders on it. It always seems like it takes time for the cards to get orders when they go to a higher bracket.

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #3311 on: March 18, 2019, 04:08:31 PM »
Oh for sure. I have some pretty reliable sellers on small orders, $25-50 each. Nothing but cobwebs on the bigger cards ($150-200+). I'm curious about continuing to pick up little cards if they sell so well, that way I always have something getting interest. I mean, if a card sells 6/8 times a year at $50 I'd rather not have it "age up" and go for $100 or $200 and get only one order a year or two years.

Having what we would consider "desirable" cards... high credit limit, long history, etc... may not be what buyers really need. It might be more efficient for them to just show an increase in available credit/lower utilization that a quick $10-$20,000 increase in available credit on a six-month-old card can provide, and at a lower cost.

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3312 on: March 18, 2019, 05:51:55 PM »
Selling Tradelines was talked about on The Clark Howard Show today.  Clark broadcasts his radio show all over America and is a huge supporter of the FIRE movement.  He has some interesting points to make against piggybacking.

Link (starts at 8:55): https://clark.com/podcasts/3-18-19-trouble-saving-for-retirement-bad-529-plans-home-ownership-on-the-rise/

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3313 on: March 18, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
He has some interesting points to make against piggybacking.

Link (starts at 8:55): https://clark.com/podcasts/3-18-19-trouble-saving-for-retirement-bad-529-plans-home-ownership-on-the-rise/

I listened.  His main point seems to be the AU might be able to get access to the full credit card information and then use the credit card.  I'm not sure how they could obtain all of that information.  Seems very far fetched, mostly because I doubt someone trying to commit CC fraud would utilize that type of methodology (going through a tradeline company).  But mostly because even if they were to call into the credit card company to try to obtain the full CC, wouldn't they need far too much information to accomplish that?  Just having the last 4 digits from their credit report and the name of the primary isn't enough.  I think this guy's concerns are overly imaginative.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3314 on: March 18, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
Agree that Clark has no idea what he's talking about. Even if they could somehow get enough info to impersonate you and claim the card was stolen so they need a new one, the replacement would still be sent to primary card holder address. I suppose there's a non-zero chance the rep wouldn't think it odd that your card got lost AND you need to change your address at the same time, but it would take an awful lot to get to that point. Now if you're being targeted by nation-state baddies....

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3315 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »
My recollection is that credit reports show the first several digits, no the last 4.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3316 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
My recollection is that credit reports show the first several digits, no the last 4.

No, as that would be incredibly insecure given how accessible credit reports are.  I just checked mine, it doesn’t provide any of the numbers, all “x’s” for almost every account -- only a couple did provide the last 4 (I have around 35 from churning).  Even when you log into your cc Account it will only provide the last 4.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:05:40 PM by HBFIRE »

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #3317 on: March 18, 2019, 11:34:36 PM »

No, as that would be incredibly insecure given how accessible credit reports are.  I just checked mine, it doesn’t provide any of the numbers, all “x’s” for almost every account -- only a couple did provide the last 4 (I have around 35 from churning).  Even when you log into your cc Account it will only provide the last 4.

First 4 only identify the issuing bank, correct? The first digit is the issuer (4 for Visa, 5 for MasterCard, 6 for Discover) and the next 3 are the bank (chase/citi/barclay etc). There's some variation due to the checksum algorithm, but I think only the last 7 or so digits are your actual account number (the very last one is just the checkdigit).

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3318 on: March 19, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »

First 4 only identify the issuing bank, correct?

Correct, first 4 are pretty meaningless

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3319 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:46 PM »
Even though discover canceled my account months (a year?) ago, they still send me free credit monitoring alerts, so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice

FrontRanger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3320 on: March 20, 2019, 07:28:32 AM »
Do you guys use the AU cards or just stick them in a drawer? Thinking that I’d use them to do the occasional gas or grocery purchase to at least show some usage. Does it even matter?

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3321 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:51 AM »
Do you guys use the AU cards or just stick them in a drawer? Thinking that I’d use them to do the occasional gas or grocery purchase to at least show some usage. Does it even matter?

Personally I just stick them in a drawer, and have never had one not post. YMMV.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3322 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »

Personally I just stick them in a drawer, and have never had one not post. YMMV.

+1.  (Well I have had one not post, but I've had lots that have posted, so I assume that one didn't post for some other reason.)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3323 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »

Never activated them and never used them.  I immediately set them aside to be shredded.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3324 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
Agree with the others.  I shred them when received.  I don't request them for issuers that offer that.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3325 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

I heat my house with a wood furnace.  To start it, I take my "paper" bag from the kitchen, where we put anything burnable and sit it on the bottom of the fire box.  I then take another paper bag full of twigs and put it on the papers.  Then a few pieces of fire wood and light the pile.  Any AU cards get thrown into the paper bag. 

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #3326 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Somewhere in all these tradeline posts was someone claiming their bank sent AU cards with different acct numbers. In that case, you should use the card. The huge majority of banks issue AU cards with the same number so it doesn't matter. Perhaps they were confused and were trying to use a business card for tradelines??? I don't see why a bank would use different numbers, but that stuck out at me since I found it so odd.

MoMoney88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3327 on: March 22, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
BarclayCard uses different account #'s for your AU's.  It definitely comes in handy.  Let's say you add your son as an AU on your Barclaycard to use while he is attending college out-of-town.  You've got 5 or 6 autopays set up on your Barclaycard.   Now,,, one day your son calls and says he lost his card!!!  All you do is contact Barclaycard and they send him a new card (new card #) and BAMM that's it, you don't need to worry about YOUR card!

What if this same thing happened to you but you were using a Chase card (instead of Barclay).  They close YOUR card and send you both new cards so now you have to got into 5 or 6 autopays and set them up...quite a pain!!!   And yes, this was a real life experience for me!  :-)

Yes, I know you can and should use a separate card for the autopays.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3328 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
AMEX uses different numbers for AUs.  Not that anyone would use them for tradeline sales, but just as an example....

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3329 on: March 27, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Does anyone have first hand experience with changing products on a Barclays card to reset the AU limit? I just downgraded the arrival plus card to the arrival and it did not seem to do the trick, unless it takes a full billing cycle to reset or some other requirement.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3330 on: April 02, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
I had pretty much forgotten about tradelines, but just got my first add in almost 2 years!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3331 on: April 03, 2019, 05:58:09 AM »
Got an add for my Citi card. I added the AU online and then called in to add the social. Very painless and quick process. I know folks have had issues with Citi being a PITA before. 

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3332 on: April 03, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
Got an add for my Citi card. I added the AU online and then called in to add the social. Very painless and quick process. I know folks have had issues with Citi being a PITA before.

That's a shock!  A few months ago I added a friend to my Citi card, it was at least 45 minutes of nonsense to the point I'm not sure I'll use any of my Citi cards for tradelines.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3333 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:45 PM »
I tried to remove an AU from a Citicard over the phone and they closed my card and issued another one with a different number even though I didn't ask them to close it.

Looks like another AU, which wasn't supposed to be removed yet, is no longer linked to the card. I called and they said they would link the remaining AU to the new card and issue a new AU card for them too.

So stupid... Citi is the worst bank to deal with when it comes to adding and removing AUs.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3334 on: April 04, 2019, 04:40:25 AM »

That's a shock!  A few months ago I added a friend to my Citi card, it was at least 45 minutes of nonsense to the point I'm not sure I'll use any of my Citi cards for tradelines.

I was fully expecting the third degree. Perhaps it was because I had already added the AU online or maybe I just got lucky and got a really good rep? I dunno.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3335 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »

I was thinking it may be because you added the AU online first.  I can't remember if I did or not but I'm leaning towards I didn't.  If there's ever a next time I will try that.
I was fully expecting the third degree. Perhaps it was because I had already added the AU online or maybe I just got lucky and got a really good rep? I dunno.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3336 on: April 05, 2019, 06:58:05 AM »
Does this work consistently (adding Citi AUs online and then calling to add the social)? How many AUs did you add the same way? Did they all post? Has anybody else done the same? I always add Citi AUs over the phone but it's a major pain do add and even remove them.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3337 on: April 05, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »
My last post got cut off.  What I said was if there's a next time I'll try adding the AU online and call the ssn in. Thanks masterstache.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3338 on: April 05, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
It didn't get cut off. You just posted above the comment you were responding to.
My last post got cut off.  What I said was if there's a next time I'll try adding the AU online and call the ssn in. Thanks masterstache.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3339 on: April 05, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
Does this work consistently (adding Citi AUs online and then calling to add the social)? How many AUs did you add the same way? Did they all post? Has anybody else done the same? I always add Citi AUs over the phone but it's a major pain do add and even remove them.

I dunno. I used to add online and then send a SM to add the social to the AU. Only had one not post doing it that way over maybe 8-10 adds. This is the first time doing it this way so we'll see.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3340 on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
It didn't get cut off. You just posted above the comment you were responding to.

AH!  I get easily confused.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #3341 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
2018 was the first year I sold any tradelines so this is my first time to do taxes with tradeline revenue.  I entered the 1099 misc. and entered sales as the source of the income.  Turbotax put it on a schedule C and wants a principal business code.  What have you guys entered for source of income and did you put it on a schedule C?  If it matters I made $400.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3342 on: April 10, 2019, 03:29:09 AM »
Just applied for a Barclays card for travel hacking. Posting to follow so a year from now I can start selling tradelines on it. I do have a capital one card that's about 6 months old that I'll try to use first. All my other cards are from credit unions and have been open a decade plus (and get minimal usage).

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3343 on: April 10, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
Oh well Citi closed my card because of all the authorized user activity on it over the last 2 years.
It was a good run and I probably made around $5000 from that card.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3344 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »
Oh well Citi closed my card because of all the authorized user activity on it over the last 2 years.
Did Citi close just one card which you used for tradelines or all your Citi cards?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3345 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
Yes only the card used for tradelines. the other 2 citi accounts are unaffected.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3346 on: April 11, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
I haven't gotten a spot on my card filled in almost 5 months now... has anyone else had this issue?

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #3347 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
I haven't either. I have 5 cards listed with New Company. None have had an order since November.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3348 on: April 12, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Yeah, it's not uncommon for cards without any activity to get closed after a period of time. Usually just one small transaction a year is enough to keep them open indefinitely.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3349 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
FYI @lexde and others, I am staying pretty busy with "old company".  Yall may want to give them a shot.