Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901343 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #3100 on: December 06, 2018, 07:18:09 AM »
It doesn't specify any card being ok or not.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but if you mean the issuer, that won't have changed.

Old company takes Barclays, Capital One, Citibank, Discover, Elan, PNC, US Bank, USAA, Bank of America, Chase.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3101 on: December 06, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
I just meant that the email didn't specify what cards (or banks) it will accept......or won't accept.

I guess when I'm able to get in, I'll bang around and see what gets in and what doesn't.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3102 on: December 06, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Thanks for posting that comparison on the commission cycle :) We got that email and was debating. Hmmm...I should take a look at my cards again to see if I have under 2 year cards that might work. I doubt it though as I have not been playing the churning game much and just hit 1/24 (just got approved for 2 Southwest cards so we are super excited!)

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3103 on: December 07, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »
Any opinions from the group on this new pricing?  I am thinking I will wait.  I have a few Barclays cards I am aging.  Since BC has an AU limit, I am thinking I will wait and get more per sale.

drummlers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3104 on: December 07, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »
Just curious, I don't show that any tradelines have been added to my card yet, but I just received a report today on my credit that someone applied for credit using my social. Now, they listed their name and address. Is this normal for tradelines usage?

Thank you

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3105 on: December 07, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »
Can someone confirm something for me?

When a person is added as an AU on a Non-Amex card, the tradeline has no mention of when the AU was actually added, correct?  So the tradeline history appears the same as it does for the primary, correct (other than the Authorized User Status)?   

Someone had mentioned on another forum being added as an AU on a 2+ year old credit card could impact 5/24 Chase status, which I believe is false but wanted to confirm. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:59:38 AM by dustinst22 »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3106 on: December 07, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
Can someone confirm something for me?

When a person is added as an AU on a Non-Amex card, the tradeline has no mention of when the AU was actually added, correct?  So the tradeline history appears the same as it does for the primary, correct (other than the Authorized User Status)?   

Someone had mentioned on another forum being added as an AU on a 2+ year old credit card could impact 5/24 Chase status, which I believe is false but wanted to confirm.

One minor nit - I don't think the credit report even distinguishes between an AU and the actual account holder.  From a credit report point of view, I think a credit line is a credit line.  Obviously the card issuer would know, but I don't think they report that bit of information to the CRAs.

Other than that very minor point, your understanding matches mine.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3107 on: December 07, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »

One minor nit - I don't think the credit report even distinguishes between an AU and the actual account holder.  From a credit report point of view, I think a credit line is a credit line.  Obviously the card issuer would know, but I don't think they report that bit of information to the CRAs.

Hmm, I'll have to double check, but when I looked at my spouses report it showed her status as an authorized user at least on one of the cards.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3108 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »

Hmm, I'll have to double check, but when I looked at my spouses report it showed her status as an authorized user at least on one of the cards.

Likewise - I am an AU on one of my wife's cards, shows up on Credit Karma as an Authorized User.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3109 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »
Just curious, I don't show that any tradelines have been added to my card yet, but I just received a report today on my credit that someone applied for credit using my social. Now, they listed their name and address. Is this normal for tradelines usage?

Thank you

If someone is applying for credit using your social, you had your data exposed by some other means. Authorized Users never have visibility to your information (save possibly your address), definitely not your social.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3110 on: December 07, 2018, 11:53:54 AM »

Likewise - I am an AU on one of my wife's cards, shows up on Credit Karma as an Authorized User.

I stand corrected.  I just checked my Credit Karma report, and I'm listed as an AU on one of my Dad's cards.  So it is distinguished on the credit report.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3111 on: December 07, 2018, 05:53:18 PM »

I stand corrected.  I just checked my Credit Karma report, and I'm listed as an AU on one of my Dad's cards.  So it is distinguished on the credit report.

Yes, this is true.
However, for business cards, it only appears to be true for Capital One Spark business. The other business cards I have (for which I'm an authorized user) don't show up.

SilverAg47

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3112 on: December 12, 2018, 07:08:13 PM »
Bogleheads post from today: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266187

Is anyone worried about doing tradelines with Fidelity (Elan)?  Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like Elan can be quite sensitive at times. I still have yet to make a sale with my Fidelity card, but I'm thinking about just pulling it.  I'm wondering if a shutdown would occur, could it possibly affect other accounts held at Fidelity as well.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3113 on: December 12, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »
Bogleheads post from today: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266187

Is anyone worried about doing tradelines with Fidelity (Elan)?  Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like Elan can be quite sensitive at times. I still have yet to make a sale with my Fidelity card, but I'm thinking about just pulling it.  I'm wondering if a shutdown would occur, could it possibly affect other accounts held at Fidelity as well.

Not worried but I do expect closure after a small number of AU sales (based on info reported earlier in this thread).  I don't have much with Fidelity so others might worry about that.  However, Elan is separate so I think this risk is small (IMO).

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #3114 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
FYI - with Citibank I successfully removed a user just doing the online Live Chat.  Now that the secured message system is gone, that's one easy way to do it without calling in.  Haven't tried adding one like that yet, but will give it a go with my next Citi order. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3115 on: December 13, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
FYI - with Citibank I successfully removed a user just doing the online Live Chat.  Now that the secured message system is gone, that's one easy way to do it without calling in.  Haven't tried adding one like that yet, but will give it a go with my next Citi order.

I did an online chat once to confirm the social was included with the AU and the rep could not confirm over chat for security reasons. I would be surprised if you could do an add over chat, but it never hurts to try.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3116 on: December 14, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
I had a an order on 6/25 and still haven't seen a payment.  Is it common to go this long and do you always have to nag them to get paid?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3117 on: December 14, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
I had a an order on 6/25 and still haven't seen a payment.  Is it common to go this long and do you always have to nag them to get paid?

Nope. An order on 6/25 likely posted early July, meaning payment should be end of September (two months later).

Contact the TL company, and if you can't get ahold of them, PM me details (your name/email and which TL company) and I can contact them to find out.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3118 on: December 14, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
I know Barclays is a pretty preferred tradeline card.  There's no SS# spot when added online.  What's the best way to add the SS#.  I actually sold one spot yesterday and called it in.  The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3119 on: December 14, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
I know Barclays is a pretty preferred tradeline card.  There's no SS# spot when added online.  What's the best way to add the SS#.  I actually sold one spot yesterday and called it in.  The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.
I just never add an SSN with Barclay's. I've always found the rest of the info (name, DOB, and address) is enough, and I've never had one not post.

I know several others do the same thing.

There are people who do add it (and the TL companies recommend you do). Add them like normal online and then calling to add the SSN, like you did, is the correct way.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3120 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
Interesting.  I'll do that going forward.  I sent in a chat message to add the ss.  We'll see how that works.

Encinoman45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3121 on: December 14, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
Any opinions from the group on this new pricing?  I am thinking I will wait.  I have a few Barclays cards I am aging.  Since BC has an AU limit, I am thinking I will wait and get more per sale.

$25 per Add is not worth it for me. I'm waiting too.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3122 on: December 14, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
The 2nd spot sold tonight and I'm not crazy about calling in again.

I've been operating for years under the assumption that most large companies, which certainly includes Barclay's, have hundreds if not thousands of customer service reps who service hundreds if not thousands of calls a day.  I think the chances of getting the same rep and them remembering you is approximately zero.

Also, I also assume that for regular activities, they don't make a note on your account and/or care what you do as long as what you're doing isn't unusual or weird or illegal and you don't specifically ask them to make a note on your account.  This assumption matches my experience over the past 30 years and ~80 credit cards.

I do think that there is a separate group of people who search their data and try to find ways to minimize losses.  I suspect those people run queries searching for people who barely use their cards and who add multiple AUs with different last names.  That's how I'd catch piggybackers, anyway, and it matches up with my experience with multiple issuers over the past two years.

If you don't want to call in because two phone calls in two days is too much work, well, I can't help you with that.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #3123 on: December 14, 2018, 08:22:45 PM »

$25 per Add is not worth it for me. I'm waiting too.

I have one card that I could list with Old Company now for $25 per AU, or in a few months with New Company for $50 per AU.  I'm also waiting.  All of my cards are with New Company because they pay somewhat better than Old Company for the lines I have.  I think Old Company pays out more reliably, but that isn't a big deal in my case.

I have been tempted lately to double-list cards.  I won't do it, because I think it's unethical.  The ratio of sales to available slots is pretty low for me, but when I look back I think all of my cards have gotten some sales, and it seems a little random, so I don't think I could pick any particular card to move to Old Company and count on it doing better over there.  Finally, moving cards between companies is hassle and they don't seem to like it much.

wudged

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3124 on: December 15, 2018, 05:25:34 AM »

Nope. An order on 6/25 likely posted early July, meaning payment should be end of September (two months later).

Contact the TL company, and if you can't get ahold of them, PM me details (your name/email and which TL company) and I can contact them to find out.

It is a very common problem with the "new" company (at least for me, and plenty of others who have posted in this thread.)  After finally receiving the last payment I was due, after about a month of constant nagging, I shut down my account and moved all my cards to the "old" company.  The new company pays promptly when they say they will, without the need to ask.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3125 on: December 15, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Quick question about Barclaycard. Is there a limit to how many AUs you can keep at the same time? For example, if you have 10 AUs linked to one card and active at the moment, can you add more AUs or do you have to remove some existing AUs to be able to do so?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:37:08 PM by Padonak »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3126 on: December 15, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »

It is a very common problem with the "new" company (at least for me, and plenty of others who have posted in this thread.)  After finally receiving the last payment I was due, after about a month of constant nagging, I shut down my account and moved all my cards to the "old" company.  The new company pays promptly when they say they will, without the need to ask.

Despite lower payouts, when I moved a couple cards over to the old company, I saw a huge upswing in AU sales.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3127 on: December 15, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
Quick question about Barclaycard. Is there a limit to how many AUs you can keep at the same time? For example, if you have 10 AUs linked to one card and active at the moment, can you add more AUs or do you have to remove some existing AUs to be able to do so?

Not sure of a limit of AUs at one time but I was capped at 5 on my best BC card.  I had it full at 5 AU's frequently with no issues.  Hope this helps.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3128 on: December 15, 2018, 02:21:43 PM »

Not sure of a limit of AUs at one time but I was capped at 5 on my best BC card.  I had it full at 5 AU's frequently with no issues.  Hope this helps.

BTW i was referring to the limit set by the bank, not any tradeline company. I have >5 AUs right now on my BarclayCard and so far no issues with adding more AUs. Just wondering if anybody else had any issues in this case and what was the maximum number of AUs they could keep at the same time on one card.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3129 on: December 15, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
I just got my first add on a Capital One card. It doesn't look like I can add the AU's address in the online form - do you guys just put in all the other info (name, ssn, birthdate) and hope it posts? Or do I need to call and make sure they put in the address?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3130 on: December 16, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
I just got my first add on a Capital One card. It doesn't look like I can add the AU's address in the online form - do you guys just put in all the other info (name, ssn, birthdate) and hope it posts? Or do I need to call and make sure they put in the address?

I've never had a Capital One AU not post without an address. I wouldn't worry about calling in the address.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3131 on: December 16, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

I've never had a Capital One AU not post without an address. I wouldn't worry about calling in the address.

Great, thanks

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3132 on: December 17, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »
I have a problem with my Citicard which I use for tradelines.

The last couple of times i called to add an AU, after entering all the details the rep transferred me to fraud dept. Fraud asked a couple of questions about my address etc and texted to verify my phone number,, nothing unusual or unreasonable. After i finished the calls I logged on to the web site to make sure that the AU was added in the system and double check their name and address. However, within a few hours after each of these calls i received an email saying that "the AU request wasn't completed". In the body of the email, it says that a system issue prevented them from processing a card request for the AU. It's too early to tell if these tradelines posted with the bureaus. To me it looks like the AUs are in the system and will likely post, but for whatever reason the bank doesn't issue actual cards. Perhaps they saw that there was no spend by previous AUs and blocked the system from issuing new AU cards for this account.

Has anybody else had a similar issue? If so, did your tradelines post in this case?

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3133 on: December 17, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »

BTW i was referring to the limit set by the bank, not any tradeline company. I have >5 AUs right now on my BarclayCard and so far no issues with adding more AUs. Just wondering if anybody else had any issues in this case and what was the maximum number of AUs they could keep at the same time on one card.

I had six AUs on one Barclaycard and the system wouldn't let me add another one - I had to remove a user before adding another.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3134 on: December 17, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »

The last couple of times i called to add an AU, after entering all the details the rep transferred me to fraud dept. Fraud asked a couple of questions about my address etc and texted to verify my phone number,, nothing unusual or unreasonable. After i finished the calls I logged on to the web site to make sure that the AU was added in the system and double check their name and address. However, within a few hours after each of these calls i received an email saying that "the AU request wasn't completed". In the body of the email, it says that a system issue prevented them from processing a card request for the AU. It's too early to tell if these tradelines posted with the bureaus. To me it looks like the AUs are in the system and will likely post, but for whatever reason the bank doesn't issue actual cards. Perhaps they saw that there was no spend by previous AUs and blocked the system from issuing new AU cards for this account.

Has anybody else had a similar issue? If so, did your tradelines post in this case?

I had the same thing with Citi a couple times.  It ended up posting both times despite Citi telling me that adding the AU failed. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3135 on: December 17, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
Well, I took to this new low bar offer with the old company, printed my credit karma and started sending in everything that looked like it might stick.  Got one "regular" card registered and several, new $25 cards up and running.  Sold 2 $25 spots (a Barclay card).  To compare, I have NEVER had 2 spots sold with both companies in total for any month and on average have only sold a spot about once every 3 months between the 2 companies.  I'm quite happy to pull in $50 in one month.  To re-iterate, I ONLY list cards that can be burned.  I sort of expect that they will be.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3136 on: December 17, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
Well, I took to this new low bar offer with the old company, printed my credit karma and started sending in everything that looked like it might stick.  Got one "regular" card registered and several, new $25 cards up and running.  Sold 2 $25 spots (a Barclay card).  To compare, I have NEVER had 2 spots sold with both companies in total for any month and on average have only sold a spot about once every 3 months between the 2 companies.  I'm quite happy to pull in $50 in one month.  To re-iterate, I ONLY list cards that can be burned.  I sort of expect that they will be.

I had a similar experience. Sold a couple $25 spots on a "young" card I never expected would sell. It's not much but better than the card collecting dust in a sock drawer. 

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3137 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »

I had the same thing with Citi a couple times.  It ended up posting both times despite Citi telling me that adding the AU failed.
thank you, this is very helpful.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3138 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
A question about taxes. If you get an order and register it on Dec 18 and get paid in 2019, should you include this payment in 2018 or 2019 taxable income?

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #3139 on: December 17, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
A question about taxes. If you get an order and register it on Dec 18 and get paid in 2019, should you include this payment in 2018 or 2019 taxable income?

You'll get a 1099 form from the tradeline company in Jan/Feb with exactly what you earned in each tax year. It'll probably be a 2019 payment, but, wait to get your form so that your personal tax return data matches what the tradeline company is telling the IRS.

Joshua

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3140 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »

With the "new" company I never had an issue previously, but I had to message them last month about payment that was a couple months past due and they got it paid quickly. However I sent them an email 2 weeks ago about several adds from August that had not been paid out and haven't heard back from them. I just sent another email, but this has me wondering if they are having issues. I may be switching to the old company for several of our cards if this keeps happening. I do this as an easy way to make some extra money, I don't want to be constantly digging through my accounts to make sure I was paid for adds.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3141 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »

With the "new" company I never had an issue previously, but I had to message them last month about payment that was a couple months past due and they got it paid quickly. However I sent them an email 2 weeks ago about several adds from August that had not been paid out and haven't heard back from them. I just sent another email, but this has me wondering if they are having issues. I may be switching to the old company for several of our cards if this keeps happening. I do this as an easy way to make some extra money, I don't want to be constantly digging through my accounts to make sure I was paid for adds.

I have (for the most part) given up on the new company as a result of this same issue. The only card I still have with them is one that is too young to enroll with the old company, and once it ages it will go there too. Old company has their payroll down to a science - same boat, I have better things to do than chase someone down to get paid.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3142 on: December 19, 2018, 12:57:42 PM »
Another vote for "old" company.  I tried new company for a while but moved those cards to old co.  Old co is automated and very responsive on any questions.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #3143 on: December 19, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
I`m still wanting to do this, but I`m trying to build up some cards first. I really don`t want to use any of my cards that have good money and/or travel rewards. I am thinking of opening some average cards to use for tradelines after getting my 5/24 Chase card max.

My goal when doing this is to turn this into an all yearly expense job. $22,000 a year should do it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:13:12 PM by jojoguy »

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3144 on: December 20, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »
My goal when doing this is to turn this into an all yearly expense job. $22,000 a year should do it.

Ah, so you're trying to be arebelspy, Junior, eh?  The wrenches in this plan are many.  Card cancellations, people not picking your card for their tradeline purchase, etc.  I get what you're trying to do, but the cards need to age a certain number of years (varies by company) for them to even be accepted.  Also, cards do tend to become "resting" for a number of reasons.  From memory, I've got a cap one, a discover and BoA resting at one company or another for various reasons. 

Also, just like with manufactured spending, you have to be ready for the whole gig to come crashing down.  A new law or rule or method to govern AUs could come along and kill this whole thing.  Think of when Redbird got killed for MS.  You just find other ways to game the system.

I try to squeeze benefits from my cards.  When I don't get a tradeline sold, I've been doing low card balance forgiveness with about 8 cards.  Some of them are now on the new "young" card system with the old company.  A $25 for 2 month sale beats $1 in gas a month in forgiveness. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:14:06 AM by Car Jack »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3145 on: December 20, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »

Yeah, wow good luck with this. With several cards in the system I am happy with a couple grand every year. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3146 on: December 20, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
ARS noted that his own sales have not maintained that level some pages ago. I think he benefited quite a bit from being the early mustachian to the game.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3147 on: December 20, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
I'll be at $5500 for 2018, up from $2225 in 2017. I've got 11 cards total enrolled between various companies. I started working with another company this year that seems to have more traffic/less inventory, so that's made a difference. I'm hoping to hit the low five figures in 2019, but even that may be optimistic. Regardless, it's free money and I'm more than happy with whatever I get!

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #3148 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »
I guess I`m just aiming too high. :P

I haven`t even started yet. I do however want to figure out some side gigs to make my goals happen.

Congratulations Ducky19 for your success in this!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3149 on: December 20, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
I guess I`m just aiming too high. :P

I haven`t even started yet. I do however want to figure out some side gigs to make my goals happen.

Congratulations Ducky19 for your success in this!

Turn a hobby or a passion into some side income. That's what many people, including myself, have done.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!