Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901546 times)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2950 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Joe,

I sent you a PM (I think) on here. Have read a bunch of this thread already and very interested in digging into this more after you mentioned it Sunday at Camp Mustache Toronto.

Thanks!

Hello fellow Ann Arborite

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2951 on: September 24, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
TWO Davids from Ann Arbor? Hmmm...

daveed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Instagram
« Reply #2952 on: September 24, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
That's right, there's TWO of us. Haha. Actually heard about Camp Mustache and the forum primarily from the other David, David #1. :)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2953 on: September 24, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
Not buying it.  Clearly, David #2 is a bot.  :>

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2954 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
That's right, there's TWO of us. Haha. Actually heard about Camp Mustache and the forum primarily from the other David, David #1. :)

Did I meet you at a MMM meeting at the Grizzly Peak ?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2955 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:25 AM »
TWO Davids from Ann Arbor? Hmmm...

Right? I was pretty skeptical when I met another "Joe" from Seattle at an MMM meetup in Seattle.

You're named Joe too? Sureee...
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

daveed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Instagram
« Reply #2956 on: September 25, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »

Did I meet you at a MMM meeting at the Grizzly Peak ?

I think we met briefly at Grizzly Peak but haven't chatted much. That will change soon I hope!

medinaj2160

• Stubble
« Reply #2957 on: September 25, 2018, 05:14:38 PM »
for Barclays AU's since they don't ask for a SS online, Do you guys call them Barclays to add the SS over the phone so it reports correctly?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2958 on: September 25, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
for Barclays AU's since they don't ask for a SS online, Do you guys call them Barclays to add the SS over the phone so it reports correctly?

This is what the company says to do, yes.

I never do--I just don't give the SSN info. I do always put in their address, which is an optional add on Barclay's site.

I've never had one not report with their name, dob, address.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2959 on: September 25, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Data point-  an AMEX AU was added for a family member in early August and hasn't posted yet. Not sure how long it'll take, or if it'll post at all.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #2960 on: September 25, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
A quick thanks to Arebelspy for starting this.  I just signed up today (and let them know you referred me).  We'll see how this works - starting with 4 cards.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2961 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »
Data point-  an AMEX AU was added for a family member in early August and hasn't posted yet. Not sure how long it'll take, or if it'll post at all.
Date of add as authorized user doesn't matter. Date of first statement with a balance due should determine when the line gets reported to credit agencies.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2962 on: September 27, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »

This is what the company says to do, yes.

I never do--I just don't give the SSN info. I do always put in their address, which is an optional add on Barclay's site.

I've never had one not report with their name, dob, address.

Just had my first Barclay add not post. I've also never called in the SSN and have never had any issues, but I think it may be the address that caused it. I noticed with Barclay that if there is an apartment number, it adds that in front of the street number for some reason. That may or may not be it, but as this is the first failed add and I've had a couple dozen successful without calling in the SSN, I will probably continue to just include the address.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2963 on: September 27, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »
@ducky19 Sorry to hear that...  I have always noticed the weirdness with the apt #.  Never had any problems yet.  Still fighting with Elan on the other hand to post.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #2964 on: September 27, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
Discover closed my account with the message "we are no longer able to meet your servicing needs." No clue about why - I haven't had an add since late last year. Pretty normal usage on it.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2965 on: September 27, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Discover closed my account with the message "we are no longer able to meet your servicing needs." No clue about why - I haven't had an add since late last year. Pretty normal usage on it.

I continue to suspect that companies do periodic audits where they query their databases for what they consider to be risky behavior.  They then either human review or (less likely) do mass closings.

If this is accurate, then there could be a long while between when one does what they consider risky and the account closure.  It also means that "normal usage" may not inoculate one against account closure.

I continue to think that the total number of AU's added to a line, perhaps limited to those that don't reside at the same address or share the same last name, would be the search criteria that they use.

I also don't think they expend much energy or effort on this kind of thing overall, since the direct cost to them is pretty low.  Their main business risk would be loss due to fraud or punitive damages by not complying with federal restrictions on foreign nationals subject to sanction or something like that.

@Shade00, there also is the possibility that the reason for closure may not be related to AUs.  It's possible that some other behavior is what triggered the closure.  I don't know about you, but I typically do multiple things on each credit line that the CC companies don't like.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #2966 on: September 28, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »
Two updates from my world.

1. Wrapped up first batch of piggybacking-closure cases favorably!

Sounds like you may have some more business from Discover customers, @PointsLawyer  ;)

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #2967 on: September 28, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
I continue to suspect that companies do periodic audits where they query their databases for what they consider to be risky behavior.  They then either human review or (less likely) do mass closings.

If this is accurate, then there could be a long while between when one does what they consider risky and the account closure.  It also means that "normal usage" may not inoculate one against account closure.

I continue to think that the total number of AU's added to a line, perhaps limited to those that don't reside at the same address or share the same last name, would be the search criteria that they use.

I also don't think they expend much energy or effort on this kind of thing overall, since the direct cost to them is pretty low.  Their main business risk would be loss due to fraud or punitive damages by not complying with federal restrictions on foreign nationals subject to sanction or something like that.

@Shade00, there also is the possibility that the reason for closure may not be related to AUs.  It's possible that some other behavior is what triggered the closure.  I don't know about you, but I typically do multiple things on each credit line that the CC companies don't like.

I'm not sure what that behavior could have been, but I guess there's no way to know. I had 4 adds last year, if I'm remembering correctly, and kept my utilization at no more than 5% until I used the card to buy some furniture at the beginning of the year. We paid that purchase off within a couple of months. I really have no clue. It's disappointing because I had that account since 2009 and had 23k in credit available. :(

SuperChamp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Ephesians 9:11
« Reply #2968 on: September 28, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the great post.  I am probably on the other side, looking to purchase the trade-lines as most from what I have read are selling them.

Question, as I dont know too much about how this works, except for the fact that the history of the credit gets piggy backed onto the new authorized user and this is what helps increase the score.

My question is that after a month or two of adding and removing the said user, does the credit stop reporting?

I emailed the OP regarding the recommended companies, and have yet to get a response.

thanks guys.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2969 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the great post.  I am probably on the other side, looking to purchase the trade-lines as most from what I have read are selling them.

Question, as I dont know too much about how this works, except for the fact that the history of the credit gets piggy backed onto the new authorized user and this is what helps increase the score.

My question is that after a month or two of adding and removing the said user, does the credit stop reporting?

I emailed the OP regarding the recommended companies, and have yet to get a response.

thanks guys.

I haven't seen a credit report of a person who was added and then removed as an Authorized User. My understanding is that you get a new record (tradeline) in your credit report which boosts your credit score because you "piggyback" on the main cardholder's age of the tradeline and credit line, meaning they are accounted for when your score is calculated. I believe that tradeline is reported as "closed" when you are removed as an AU, but it still remains in your report and increases you credit score.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2970 on: September 29, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

When you are removed, the line may be removed from your report, yes. At that point, it wouldn't boost your score anymore. It's a temporary boost designed to help you get credit to improve it long term.

Sometimes it sticks on your credit report for a long time after you are removed, but I don't think there's any guarantees around that. Probably best to speak with the TL companies as a potential AU to find out details (and if any particular providers are more likely than others to stick on, or whatever).

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2971 on: October 01, 2018, 07:05:26 AM »
A family member added me as an authorized user to one of their cards so that I could make some purchases on their behalf. They also thought this would help me out with credit.

Well, turns out their credit utilization for that card was way above my average so my score was dropping despite the addition of a relatively high limit, moderate age account. So I had them remove me. That card is still listed on my credit report, though my score increased, so I don't think it's factoring in anymore.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2972 on: October 01, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Yeah, that's why the TL companies emphasize utilization must be under 10% of the card's limit. Don't want high utilization hurting the AU's score.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #2973 on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
Removing an AU this morning from BoA, the rep asked WHY I was removing them. She said they just needed to make sure he wasn't trying to get a loan or they'd need to send him a letter. I wanted to ask why that mattered but am not risking any more flags than absolutely necessary since I only have 2 nice cards in the game.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2974 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
Date of add as authorized user doesn't matter. Date of first statement with a balance due should determine when the line gets reported to credit agencies.

The card is used for small purchases all the time. It's a business account, so that might make a difference, I suppose.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #2975 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »

The card is used for small purchases all the time. It's a business account, so that might make a difference, I suppose.

What I've read is that business cards do not show up on personal credit reports which is why the TL companies are not interested in them and also why they are good if you're churning for sign-ups bonuses while waiting to get under Chase's 5/24 limit.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2976 on: October 07, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Thanks, @MoseyingAlong

I guess since I saw that a CapOne Spark business account posts, we thought we'd try the AMEX, but maybe not all business accounts are created equal.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2977 on: October 18, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
I've been getting my citi spots filled regularly - but with this last round of AUs I've had to get cleared by the fraud department. They just ask me to give them a text message and "verify" me.

Should I be concerned about these extra steps? Maybe let my 2 AU spots cool off? Or not worry about it?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2978 on: October 18, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »
I've been getting my citi spots filled regularly - but with this last round of AUs I've had to get cleared by the fraud department. They just ask me to give them a text message and "verify" me.

Should I be concerned about these extra steps? Maybe let my 2 AU spots cool off? Or not worry about it?

That is SOP for one of the CC issuers; don't recall if it's Citi or not.  I'd suggest taking a look at the add instructions that they send you in the email or on the portal (assuming New Company) because for the issuer I'm thinking of they mention it.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't worry about it if it were me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:48:55 PM by secondcor521 »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #2979 on: October 21, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
Heads up data point regarding Fidelity/Elan:
I have been selling Tradelines with a Fidelity (Elan) CC pretty successfully for several months. The adds have to be done by phone. My latest add was going straightforward, then part way through the call the CSR said "Oh, I have to transfer you to a different department". I was transferred to someone who did the usual security verification (but much less friendly than normal CSR) who then proceeded to ask very pointed questions about my pattern of AU adding and removal. I must have satisfied him, because he went ahead to add the AU. Next time I went to make a purchase on this card, it was declined, I also noticed I couldn't log into my account online anymore. When I called in to check, I was told my account was under review, and someone would contact me. Nobody ever contacted me, but I can log back into my account now. I have temporarily frozen the card for AU sales, I imagine some time in the future I am going to get this card shut down.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Can confirm: Card Closed
Nice little letter for my collection

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2980 on: October 21, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
I have been selling Tradelines with a Fidelity (Elan) CC pretty successfully for several months. The adds have to be done by phone. My latest add was going straightforward, then part way through the call the CSR said "Oh, I have to transfer you to a different department". I was transferred to someone who did the usual security verification (but much less friendly than normal CSR) who then proceeded to ask very pointed questions about my pattern of AU adding and removal. I must have satisfied him, because he went ahead to add the AU. Next time I went to make a purchase on this card, it was declined, I also noticed I couldn't log into my account online anymore. When I called in to check, I was told my account was under review, and someone would contact me. Nobody ever contacted me, but I can log back into my account now. I have temporarily frozen the card for AU sales, I imagine some time in the future I am going to get this card shut down.

About how many AU spots had you sold on that card?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2981 on: October 22, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Question for the Hive...

I just received my first AU with citizenship not of the US.  Have you had this?  Is it a concern?

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #2982 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »

the last one on my citi i tried they wanted to transfer me, and i got "scared" so didn't - is that all they had you do? i had them stop selling mine for a bit because it concerned me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2983 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

the last one on my citi i tried they wanted to transfer me, and i got "scared" so didn't - is that all they had you do? i had them stop selling mine for a bit because it concerned me.
That’s all they did for mine. I couldn’t tell you if it was the same for your situation, though.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2984 on: October 22, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
Question for the Hive...

I just received my first AU with citizenship not of the US.  Have you had this?  Is it a concern?
Is the mailing/primary address not in the US? Personally I wouldn’t risk that.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2985 on: October 22, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Question for the Hive...

Is the mailing/primary address not in the US? Personally I wouldn’t risk that.

US address

There is a number in SSN field as well but I assume it is not actually a SSN.  Everything is probably good and legal but I don't know if another country is a red flag for issuer.

Thanks for the reply.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2986 on: October 22, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
Non-US citizens can still have valid SSN if they are authorized to work in the US, or in some rare cases where they need one for a validated non-work reason.

I would bet that the number is their real SSN, and they're a resident alien.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2987 on: October 23, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
Does anyone actually activate the AU card?  I haven't so far, but sometimes wonder if this looks suspicious to the CC company.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2988 on: October 23, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Does anyone actually activate the AU card?  I haven't so far, but sometimes wonder if this looks suspicious to the CC company.

I always do.  But I do not use it to make a purchase (as New Company recommends).

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2989 on: October 23, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

I used to and then make one small purchase on it at the gas pump.  I don't anymore as I have enough cards either in the tradeline system or about to age up to be in that I don't care if they cancel any card I'm using for TL's.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2990 on: October 23, 2018, 11:48:25 AM »
Non-US citizens can still have valid SSN if they are authorized to work in the US, or in some rare cases where they need one for a validated non-work reason.

I would bet that the number is their real SSN, and they're a resident alien.

Thanks @merula 

That is my assumption as well.  I decided not to risk it since this issuer is known to shut you down after so many AU's already.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #2991 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »

I always do.  But I do not use it to make a purchase (as New Company recommends).
Guess I missed that recommendation. I never have activated one, but I wouldn't purchase with one unless it was online since it's obvious the AU doesn't live in your area (99.9% of the time at least).

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2992 on: October 26, 2018, 07:04:35 AM »
I just added an AU with the old company on my Cap One.  Funny, the online form has the ss# but no place for address.  Wellalrightythen.  I think it also had only options on where to send the card.....not to have or not have the card sent.  For the $200 fee I'm getting for this tradeline, it's worth it to me to just go ahead and activate the card and use it for a couple bucks of gas.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #2993 on: October 27, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »
So, I have a question for the group as I'm unsure of what to do here.  I have a removal task in the portal from a couple days ago but didn't receive a text message. Should I go ahead and remove the AU?

I'm assuming yes, but thought I'd ask anyway.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #2994 on: October 27, 2018, 10:49:21 AM »
So, I have a question for the group as I'm unsure of what to do here.  I have a removal task in the portal from a couple days ago but didn't receive a text message. Should I go ahead and remove the AU?

I would remove the AU *if* the "Remove On" date has passed.  If the "Remove On" date is in the future, I would wait until that date and remove them after that date.

I have two remove tasks in the portal, but the date is something like 1/17/19, so I'm waiting on those for now.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #2995 on: October 27, 2018, 11:57:36 PM »

About 10

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2996 on: October 28, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

I would remove the AU *if* the "Remove On" date has passed.  If the "Remove On" date is in the future, I would wait until that date and remove them after that date.

I have two remove tasks in the portal, but the date is something like 1/17/19, so I'm waiting on those for now.
I had the same situation - I removed the AU and got an Email from the Co. a few days later that I did it prematurely and therefore would not get paid for the AU add.   I Emailed them back that their portal is confusing and they should look into improving it.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2997 on: October 28, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »

About 10

Thanks for the reply, @CanuckExpat

Hopefully, I can get a few more before mine is shut down.

By the way, for anyone interested, I have been removing AUs from Elan via secure message.  It takes about 24 hours but works well.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2998 on: October 31, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »
Anyone have any issues with Citi regarding reading secure messages? For instance if I request to remove an authorized user I can read their response to confirm he/she was removed. However if I send a SM wanting to include the SS with a recent AU add I did online, I cannot read their response. It errors out and boots me off Citi's website. Could be something with my browser settings perhaps?

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #2999 on: October 31, 2018, 08:18:07 AM »
Anyone have any issues with Citi regarding reading secure messages? For instance if I request to remove an authorized user I can read their response to confirm he/she was removed. However if I send a SM wanting to include the SS with a recent AU add I did online, I cannot read their response. It errors out and boots me off Citi's website. Could be something with my browser settings perhaps?

This exact thing happens to me also.  I'm wondering if it has to do with the SS# being protected information or something.