Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901469 times)

hunt2eat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When is the last time payments were sent from the new TL?  I haven't' rec'd payments for 2/3 or 3/3 ads.  I have emailed the owner and haven't heard back.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
When is the last time payments were sent from the new TL?  I haven't' rec'd payments for 2/3 or 3/3 ads.  I have emailed the owner and haven't heard back.

PM me with the email address you signed up under.

All payments for February adds (where the statement closed in February) should have been paid. I've been assured most March payments have been made as well, and the rest should be within the next week (so getting somewhat caught up, in that the next set of payments is due in a week, but at least none will be outstanding).

If anyone hasn't been paid for a February add, please PM me so I can look into it!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

I get that, but then it jams me up for the next round by only allowing like 5 days to sell the tradeline, notify me, and have me contact citi, and have citi actually add them.  The same thing happened last time.  I was contacted on the 21st to add AU, and it ended up being an ordeal because I had to call citi 3 times before they actually showed up.  A few hours notice is not enough time to get me to add them, and have citi actually add them to my account.

I would call the company and see what they can work out with you.

I had a situation with the old company where a card was overloaded and the dates for removal and add were overlapping.  They had me remove a day early.

Good luck.

missundecided

• Bristles
My Barclay account shows shopping activity by a recently added AU through the "old" company. I just got notification of a fraud alert from Barclay. I received the card a week or so ago and never activated it. I'm going to notify the "old" company, but does anyone have any advice or seen this happen before?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
My Barclay account shows shopping activity by a recently added AU through the "old" company. I just got notification of a fraud alert from Barclay. I received the card a week or so ago and never activated it. I'm going to notify the "old" company, but does anyone have any advice or seen this happen before?

Real weird. Both companies claim they've never had an AU make an unauthorized purchase.

I don't even know how that AU would, since they don't have a card, the card number, etc.

How do you know it's unauthorized activity from the AU, and not normal fraud, which happens randomly (and from compromised cards?

The fact that Barclays flagged it as unauthorized suggests to me it's more likely "regular" fraudulent activity unrelated to AU activity (because if it was an authorized user doing it, why would they flag it as potential fraud? The user would be authorized).

Contact the tradeline company, see what they say, but sounds like Barclays just froze the card temporarily, and they'll ship you a new one, per regular fraud activity. No big deal, IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache

Is it showing the transaction on the AU's card # or yours?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
@arebelspy , could you tell us how much you've been making via tradelines the last few years?

Ditto with others.   It's a very, very, very long thread to slog thru, and I would love some summary info to share with others.

medinaj2160

• Stubble
I just received a call from Capital One they asked me questions about the authorized user and the mentioned that they could not verify a connection to me through public records. They said that they will send a package that requires more information about the Authorized user.

Any ideas? What do you guys say when they ask you who is the authorized user?

missundecided

• Bristles

The transactions show the last four digits of the AU's card.

The  two charges are very suspicious-looking, regardless of which card. Just gobbledygook letters stringed together for the vendor name. Like this: ouorjlfjflmf (not the actual name, but for illustrative purposes). So Barclays would likely have flagged them even if the purchases were made on my own card.

I spoke with the rep from the "old" company, and I asked whether it was possible it is just run-of-the-mill fraudulent activity that just happens to be on the AU's card, trying to give the AU the benefit of the doubt. She said it's possible, but she's calling the user to get some extra details. I've been instructed to hold off just yet in calling Barclays back while they assess the situation, but she said the likely next step is to remove him as an AU as a precaution.

I had two orders through them and received two separate unmarked envelopes with what felt like cards inside; to be transparent, I never opened the envelopes because they were the only CCs I was expecting and I assumed that what's they were, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I do have the AU's card. That's my mistake, and one I won't repeat.

I will report back!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
@arebelspy , could you tell us how much you've been making via tradelines the last few years?

Ditto with others.   It's a very, very, very long thread to slog thru, and I would love some summary info to share with others.

Low five figures.

The wife and I have a lot of cards enrolled between us.

From talking to other Mustachians, it ranges from a few hundred to a couple of people similar to myself. Average (for those getting sales) is probably a couple thousand, from what I've seen.

It very much depends on how many cards you have, and how desirable you are.

For a broad rule of thumb, without knowing anything about the ages, card types, etc., I think it's reasonable to assume 1-2 sales every 2 months per card that is at least 3-5 years old (a lot older, and you'll see closer to 2+ reliably, younger more towards 1). Times, say $150 per sale (assuming a 20k limit or so). That leaves you with 150-300 per two months times 12 months a year = $900-1800 per card per year.

If your card is newer, or lower limits, cut that in half or more (since the amount when you make a sale is half as much, plus you'll make them much less frequently). Say $300/year for a weaker card (a handful of sales at $75 per sale)?

Times the number of cards you have.  2-3 strong ones, and a handful of weaker ones should net you in the 4-5k range. If you and a spouse can each do that, you get to the low five figures pretty easily. Not a bad supplemental FIRE income, for almost no effort.

The key though is that the amount of work is so low--the dollar per hour is great whether you see a few sales or a lot.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

The  two charges are very suspicious-looking, regardless of which card. Just gobbledygook letters stringed together for the vendor name. Like this: ouorjlfjflmf (not the actual name, but for illustrative purposes). So Barclays would likely have flagged them even if the purchases were made on my own card.

I spoke with the rep from the "old" company, and I asked whether it was possible it is just run-of-the-mill fraudulent activity that just happens to be on the AU's card, trying to give the AU the benefit of the doubt. She said it's possible, but she's calling the user to get some extra details. I've been instructed to hold off just yet in calling Barclays back while they assess the situation, but she said the likely next step is to remove him as an AU as a precaution.

I had two orders through them and received two separate unmarked envelopes with what felt like cards inside; to be transparent, I never opened the envelopes because they were the only CCs I was expecting and I assumed that what's they were, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I do have the AU's card. That's my mistake, and one I won't repeat.

I will report back!

Very interesting. Thanks for the updates!

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles

I will report back!

So, does the person who purchased the AU line have the ability to check their own credit history and see the account number?  Not sure how it shows up on someone's credit report when they are an authorized user.

I think some of my credit reports show all but the last four digits of the credit card numbers for any accounts I have.  I don't think it would be too hard to get a company rep to give up the "last four" because that is usually tossed around quite a lot and I don't think many people are as concerned about the security of the last four digits (call up bank, state your name and ssn and that you have an account, convince the cust svc rep to give you the last four of your card, etc).

chuckster

• Stubble

For a broad rule of thumb, without knowing anything about the ages, card types, etc., I think it's reasonable to assume 1-2 sales every 2 months per card that is at least 3-5 years old (a lot older, and you'll see closer to 2+ reliably, younger more towards 1). Times, say $150 per sale (assuming a 20k limit or so). That leaves you with 150-300 per two months times 12 months a year = $900-1800 per card per year.

If your card is newer, or lower limits, cut that in half or more (since the amount when you make a sale is half as much, plus you'll make them much less frequently). Say $300/year for a weaker card (a handful of sales at $75 per sale)?

Times the number of cards you have.  2-3 strong ones, and a handful of weaker ones should net you in the 4-5k range. If you and a spouse can each do that, you get to the low five figures pretty easily. Not a bad supplemental FIRE income, for almost no effort.

The key though is that the amount of work is so low--the dollar per hour is great whether you see a few sales or a lot.

Haha my experience is the opposite... I have one card that is very old (20+ yrs) and has a high limit (20k+) and I rarely see any sales on it. I also have a very new card (2 yrs) with a middling limit (10k) that books solid, every slot always full.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Interesting!

My data is quite limited, so always good to hear other people's experiences. :)

In any case, a mix of cards by various issuers, of various ages, and limits, seems to be the best. You can make a pretty solid income if you can round up a half dozen of them (and ditto for a SO).

ThatGuy

• Stubble

I've added my sister as an AU on a few of my cards over the years and I'm pretty sure that the account number on her card has always been the same as the number on my card.  The current card she has is the same account number.

I will report back!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
So, does the person who purchased the AU line have the ability to check their own credit history and see the account number?  Not sure how it shows up on someone's credit report when they are an authorized user.
I don't think full account numbers show on any credit report (I doubt the issuer provides the full account number to the credit reporting agencies). Piggybacking largely works because the account shows up on the AU's report almost the same as if they were the primary account holder.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
How quickly do you add AU?  I got an email monday evening saying I had new AU to add, but I didn't have time to log in and get the info and call yet.  I got an email from TL company today asking if they were added saying there were due by 5/21 (the night I got the notification).  Now I'm ready to add them, but the email made it sound like if they weren't added by 5/21 she had to replace them, so I don't know if I should go ahead and add them or if she's going to move them to another card.  This card has been filling up consistently and I just removed 2 AU last week, so I expect I'd get another 2 slots right away.

Do you jump on adding AU immediately? What's a reasonable time frame to get them added?  I feel like it often takes a week or so to show up after adding them anyway.

Well apparently if you don't add them by the due date you don't get paid.  So I got 6 hours notice to add them (got emails at 5:29 PM and 5:48PM on 5/21 that were apparently due to add by 5/21).  Since I added them late (48 hours after notified) I got to take all the risk of adding weird names to my card, used up my 2 slots (since it's suspicious to remove AU so quickly I've been instructed to leave them), got to sit on the phone with citi for 20 minutes, and I don't get paid.  wtf new company?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
I don't think full account numbers show on any credit report (I doubt the issuer provides the full account number to the credit reporting agencies). Piggybacking largely works because the account shows up on the AU's report almost the same as if they were the primary account holder.

I think it's still possible to obtain the account number in some circumstances.  I won't go into too much detail, but it's a risk.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

Haha my experience is the opposite... I have one card that is very old (20+ yrs) and has a high limit (20k+) and I rarely see any sales on it. I also have a very new card (2 yrs) with a middling limit (10k) that books solid, every slot always full.

Ditto for me. Signed up with the "newer" TL company 1.5 years ago with a card that is 15+ years and 20K+ credit limit. Saw sales immediately and then nothing for over a year. Unfortunately I don't have any middle of the road cards.

wudged

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How quickly do you add AU?  I got an email monday evening saying I had new AU to add, but I didn't have time to log in and get the info and call yet.  I got an email from TL company today asking if they were added saying there were due by 5/21 (the night I got the notification).  Now I'm ready to add them, but the email made it sound like if they weren't added by 5/21 she had to replace them, so I don't know if I should go ahead and add them or if she's going to move them to another card.  This card has been filling up consistently and I just removed 2 AU last week, so I expect I'd get another 2 slots right away.

Do you jump on adding AU immediately? What's a reasonable time frame to get them added?  I feel like it often takes a week or so to show up after adding them anyway.

Well apparently if you don't add them by the due date you don't get paid.  So I got 6 hours notice to add them (got emails at 5:29 PM and 5:48PM on 5/21 that were apparently due to add by 5/21).  Since I added them late (48 hours after notified) I got to take all the risk of adding weird names to my card, used up my 2 slots (since it's suspicious to remove AU so quickly I've been instructed to leave them), got to sit on the phone with citi for 20 minutes, and I don't get paid.  wtf new company?

I was worried something like this might happen so first I took the payment due day, instead of the closing day, then built a 1-2 days buffer on top of that as the "closing day" I provided to them.

They also "lost" one of the AUs I added.  Apparently another card holder failed to add the AU in proper time (whether it was done late or not at all, I don't know) so the AU was transferred to me for an April add.  This month, I get another add, look at my order history, and the AU from April doesn't show anywhere.  I contacted the company, and they "fixed" it, however it now shows as a May add.  So I imagine for this April add, I'll be paid sometime mid July instead of the end of May like it should be.

They really aren't on top of their stuff.

wudged

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The old tradeline company is looking for more cards.
Disclaimer: I will get a referral commission when you sell AU spots, but you will get paid the same whether you use my referral or not--it will not reduce your payment to have me as the referral, and for this month, you'll make $150 more than you would otherwise due to the signup bonus.

The old company shows the commission amount / date to be paid.  Is this supposed to include the referral bonus?  Mine only shows the base amount for the card issuer/limit.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2521 on: May 25, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
I have already gotten five calls to my personal phone asking for my authorized user since adding them a few days ago. The people calling do not identify themselves and tell me that the line is being recorded and ask for them by name. Has anybody else had this issue?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:22:50 PM by lexde »

frozen

• Stubble
I have already gotten five calls to my personal phone asking for my authorized user since adding them a few days ago. The people calling do not identify themselves and tell me that the line is being recorded and ask for them by name. Has anybody else had this issue?
Yes, but not recently.
In my case, it seemed to be debt collectors looking for the AU.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Yes, but not recently.
Well on the upside it looks like the AU add was successful at least

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Wow, that seems incredibly fast.  Maybe it is a big debt.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Yes, but not recently.

As long as we're looking at silver linings, you could monitor the calls for FDCPA violations... ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Crazy. I haven't gotten any calls, but I think my number isn't very Google-able. I know some people have gotten a few.

Can you block the number(s)?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
I've received calls too.

topshot

• Stubble
I have already gotten five calls to my personal phone asking for my authorized user since adding them a few days ago.
Why is your phone now linked to the AU? I never answer unknown numbers but I've never had a message for anyone else yet.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
I have already gotten five calls to my personal phone asking for my authorized user since adding them a few days ago.
Why is your phone now linked to the AU? I never answer unknown numbers but I've never had a message for anyone else yet.
That’s precisely what I’d like to know. Citi has my phone number, but they don’t report it. So I am concerned that I’m getting these phone calls. Tradeline sellers are supposed to be more or less anonymous. It took them ~4 days to find my number and start asking for my AU’s without identifying who they are or why they’re calling.

hay_otsuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Skip tracers will likely call numbers associated with any new addresses for the debtor

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Crazy. I haven't gotten any calls, but I think my number isn't very Google-able. I know some people have gotten a few.

Can you block the number(s)?

Same here.  I don't think my number is easily tied to my address (VOIP).  Also, I use a PO BOX.

It might be a good idea for those doing any regular volume of sales to get a PO box.  You can deduct the annual fee.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
I've received a couple of calls. I just tell them wrong number and I never hear back from them.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
I just received a call from Capital One they asked me questions about the authorized user and the mentioned that they could not verify a connection to me through public records. They said that they will send a package that requires more information about the Authorized user.

This is worrying - I've been adding 2 AUs on Capital One almost every 2 months, for years and I haven't received any similar calls. I'm wondering what happens if you ignore the package? I might ask the tradeline company what you should do.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.

This is worrying - I've been adding 2 AUs on Capital One almost every 2 months, for years and I haven't received any similar calls. I'm wondering what happens if you ignore the package? I might ask the tradeline company what you should do.

When I tried to ignore a similar situation with my Barclays card (mentioned upthread), they froze my account and very nearly accused me of unethical behavior.  I cannot access my account online, my card was declined when I did a test transaction, and I (obviously) cannot add or remove AUs.

I have asked the New Company (through whom the AU sales occurred on this card) for advice about a week ago and have yet to receive any response.

ravevan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Whatever happened to the idea of Mustachians starting our own tradeline company? Is anyone still working on that?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Whatever happened to the idea of Mustachians starting our own tradeline company? Is anyone still working on that?

Yea what's up with this?  We gotta be able to run it better than the current companies.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache

you likely entered your phone number when signing them up - you should not enter your phone number just make one up - thats what the procedures say to do at all the sites i use to sell tradelines.

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
As I said above, banks can typically close your card at any time and for pretty much any reason. But, they have to provide the specific reason for the closure. The point of this legal requirement is to allow someone with credit to understand their credit -- the requirement is educational in nature.
So basically all the banks have to do is say, "We closed your account because we don't like how often you change authorized users on your account," and they'd be in compliance with the law, but instead they are being vague about their reasons. All the while it would be super simple for them to make changes that would make piggybacking ineffective and it would just stop happening.

Sounds like you've got the handle of it. I think there's the potential for them to get in trouble if they're not uniformly enforcing this new standard of too many AUs. But generally, you have the gist of it.

PointsLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Yes, but not recently.

As long as we're looking at silver linings, you could monitor the calls for FDCPA violations... ;-)

LOL. There you go. One of the first cases I ever worked on as a lawyer was defending a TCPA case (prohibiting telephone solicitation). I was so impressed by the Plaintiff. He had two lines, recorded every single call, and then he had a lawyer friend, and they'd go to work for the slightest infraction of the semi-complex rules.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
Anyone had their US Bank card shut down before?  Had 2 sales from the "old" company last month, after many months of no activity from the "new" company.  Today I got an email from Netflix to update my payment details.  I'd been charging Netflix to my US Bank card for the nominal tradeline activity.  I updated the card details with Netflix but still kept getting an error message.  Now I log in to my US Bank account online and there aren't any accounts listed.  I'm assuming it's a shutdown? 

Kinda sucks, actually got sales for once and kapow.  No more.  :(

hay_otsuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Both my us bank cards showing zero available credit also as of today

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
My USBank accounts are fine, FWIW.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
This is troubling news.  US bank cards have been some of the most consistent performers for selling tradelines. 

linuxhero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

When I tried to ignore a similar situation with my Barclays card (mentioned upthread), they froze my account and very nearly accused me of unethical behavior.  I cannot access my account online, my card was declined when I did a test transaction, and I (obviously) cannot add or remove AUs.

I have asked the New Company (through whom the AU sales occurred on this card) for advice about a week ago and have yet to receive any response.

I received a phone call a few weeks ago from Capital One's fraud department asking if I had added the authorized users.  I stated I did.  They then said they would send me 'the package' to upload the social security and driver's licenses of the authorized users.  I then emailed the 'new' company and asked them for those documents.  The 'new' company then stated that 'Capital One looks like they are going to close your account and is looking for further information from you.  Unfortunately, we do not provide ids.  In every case when it is requested and even when submitted they close your account.'

So, at this point I have a 'frozen' Capital One account (they have not closed it yet).

In a semi-related incident, I've noticed that my oldest card with the 'new' company (opened since 1995) that the last 3 AUs have not posted even though I added the AU on time.  What I've noticed (could be a coincidence) is that when there is no SS card / Driver's license in the 'customer document' section for that user, those AUs fail to post.  I'm a bit curious as to why some users have that info in the 'customer document' section and others do not.  Should I be adding an AU w/o those documents?

beekayworld

• Stubble
I then emailed the 'new' company and asked them for those documents.  The 'new' company then stated that 'Capital One looks like they are going to close your account and is looking for further information from you.  Unfortunately, we do not provide ids.  In every case when it is requested and even when submitted they close your account.'

This must be a very new policy. When Capital One asked for drivers licenses and social security cards for my two AUs on March 24th, the new company already had both documents for one of the AUs on their website and promptly emailed me the docs for the other AU. I submitted to CapOne and my restrictions were removed.

The card wasn't shut down.

Regarding the SS numbers, I know Citi doesn't post correctly without the SS#, so I have to call in the AU, even though the website has an area where an AU can be added.  The online area doesn't have a field for SS#.

Look on the new company website on your tasks page and see if the phrase "must be called in" in next to those AUs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:41:50 PM by beekayworld »

linuxhero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I then emailed the 'new' company and asked them for those documents.  The 'new' company then stated that 'Capital One looks like they are going to close your account and is looking for further information from you.  Unfortunately, we do not provide ids.  In every case when it is requested and even when submitted they close your account.'

This must be a very new policy. When Capital One asked for drivers licenses and social security cards for my two AUs on March 24th, the new company already had both documents for one of the AUs on their website and promptly emailed me the docs for the other AU. I submitted to CapOne and my restrictions were removed.

The card wasn't shut down.

Regarding the SS numbers, I know Citi doesn't post correctly without the SS#, so I have to call in the AU, even though the website has an area where an AU can be added.  The online area doesn't have a field for SS#.

Look on the new company website on your tasks page and see if the phrase "must be called in" in next to those AUs.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like your issue occurred when adding AUs originally, and mine is Capital One auditing my account, asking about _past_ AUs (like, the last 5 or something).  Sorry that I didn't clarify that before.

Every time I've had a Citi add, I have always called it in and added the SS# during that call.  I then check the Citi website to confirm they have been added correctly (no misspelled names).  It is with Citi that the past 3 AUs have not posted with the credit bureaus correctly.  But, I swear that each time the SS# is given and verified on the call.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by linuxhero »

medinaj2160

• Stubble

So Capital One frozed my account and they want me to call them to clear concerns about potential fraud.

What do you guys say when they ask you; who is the person that you are trying trying to add to your account?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
I suppose they are truthfully business associates. 

sol

• Walrus Stache

Yea what's up with this?  We gotta be able to run it better than the current companies.

On the logistics and supply side?  Sure, while multitasking.  From the beach.

But the hard part is finding the buyers, and that's the sticking point I haven't figured out yet.  Anyone have any bright ideas on where to locate a steady stream of non-fraudulent credit line purchasers.  If we can solve that part, we can have our own company up and running before summer is over.