Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901542 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2150 on: March 01, 2018, 03:33:08 AM »
Definitely a phishing attempt.

Don't put your email info into that website (hosted on some random Turkish domain).

If you already did, change your email password immediately (and any other accounts that share that same password, and any passwords that may have been accessible/readable from that email account).

I texted and emailed the owner that it happened and that he needs to send out a letter warning users not to click that, but it's 2:30am there so it may be a few hours.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2151 on: March 01, 2018, 03:38:44 AM »
Crap it’s 230? Someone needs to go to bed

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2152 on: March 01, 2018, 03:52:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I did emter my google password but I then changed it, they also wanted my telephone number which was what tipped me off.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2153 on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:18 AM »
Word of caution. Don't EVER click a link through your email. Always go to the website directly. That's how most phishing attempts work.

bassguitar115

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2154 on: March 01, 2018, 06:59:44 AM »
I clicked the link, but did not enter any information. I'm OK right?

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2155 on: March 01, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
Thank You so Much for the Prompt replies I do appreciate it!

I think as they said it was phishing email looking for your passwords and information, you should  be OK. I just woke up and thought the email was strange but assumed it was my 1099, but I already have 1099 then the email it said Enjoy, and I was like WTF enjoy what?

Very suspicious, I am sure Arebelspy and everyone is  correct to say do not follow the email links.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2156 on: March 01, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »
Owner just sent an email telling everyone not to click on the phishing link.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2157 on: March 01, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »
Got an email saying New Company was hacked and phishing emails were sent out. Should be fun in this thread given recent paranoia

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #2158 on: March 01, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »
I thought this was some sort of tax form and signed in to my yahoo email.  I changed the password shortly after when I realized it wasn't.  Also ran a virus scan.  Anything else I should do?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2159 on: March 01, 2018, 11:16:54 AM »
I thought this was some sort of tax form and signed in to my yahoo email.  I changed the password shortly after when I realized it wasn't.  Also ran a virus scan.  Anything else I should do?

Depends on what the hack entailed.  If you sent him your email password, he can use it to reset your investment account password and empty all of your accounts.  If you changed it before he did that you're probably safe, but I would change all other passwords just to be sure.  People don't usually understand that their primary email password is the most secret thing they have, because it can be used to access everything else with the "forgot password?" link on other sites.

If you clicked on a link in your email, you're potentially compromised and should probably stop using that computer temporarily.  (Disconnect it from the internet so he can't use it for a botnet or cryotocurrency mining, then change all of your passwords using a different machine.)
 Depending on how complicated the hack is, visiting an email link can potentially give a hacker full remote access to your computer, which he can use to harvest your passwords to other accounts, monitor your activity, or encrypt your hard drive to ask for ransom (probably in bitcoin!).

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2160 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
I clicked the link, but did not enter any information. I'm OK right?
Most likely. The link may have been crafted so that they know that it came from YOUR email, which makes it more valuable on SPAM lists.

If you clicked on a link in your email, you're potentially compromised and should probably stop using that computer temporarily.  (Disconnect it from the internet so he can't use it for a botnet or cryotocurrency mining, then change all of your passwords using a different machine.)
 Depending on how complicated the hack is, visiting an email link can potentially give a hacker full remote access to your computer, which he can use to harvest your passwords to other accounts, monitor your activity, or encrypt your hard drive to ask for ransom (probably in bitcoin!).
Compromise based simply on clicking a link is unlikely, but may possible depending on your browser (in)security. Code on the destination page could attempt to find security flaws in your browser, operating system, or other devices on your home network. Many consumer routers ship with easy to guess default credentials - if the attacker can change your router settings, they can open up your home network to attacks from the outside and direct any of your network traffic through networks that the attacker controls.

spacecadet610

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2161 on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:02 PM »
I also got the phishing attempt from  erica.

I stupidly clicked on the link in the email but it looked likea broken link to nowhere.

not very happy.

i never receied any email from the company regarding the phishing attempt.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2162 on: March 02, 2018, 12:36:21 AM »
If anyone accidentally clicked that link, I can help check to see if you’ve been compromised.  PM me your password and I’ll let you know the results

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2163 on: March 02, 2018, 02:34:27 AM »
Only if I get Cat Facts afterwards.

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2164 on: March 02, 2018, 06:08:54 AM »
I also got the phishing attempt from  erica.

I stupidly clicked on the link in the email but it looked likea broken link to nowhere.

not very happy.

i never receied any email from the company regarding the phishing attempt.

You'll be fine unless you actually entered any password info

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2165 on: March 03, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
My Discover got shut down yesterday as well :(

I had a limit of 2 users, but I guess Discover is still not safe to use!

Disappointing to read about these Discover card account closings because I reliably sell 1-2 slots (max is 2 for me) every month via TL co. #1 (and have done so for the past two years). I would really like to know what flags trigger an audit by Discover... Perhaps it's random. Card use or lack therof? Activation (or not) of AU's card after you receive it? I use my Discover card regularly for Amazon purchases -- don't know if this factors in or not.

Crud. Lost one of my Discover accounts too. Customer Service would only give me a mailing address  - wouldn't transfer me to anyone. Has anyone tried to communicate my mail with Discover about it? Anyone have success/failure after trying? Hate to give up this little side income.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2166 on: March 03, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Discove card. I have a ten year old discover and my wife applied for a new one this week. Do you use it alot or just keep the minimum 5-10 $ balance?

I had both my BOA closed recently, I did put more than 2 users on though.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2167 on: March 03, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
....and I've noped out. No more Tradeline Company II for me. Late payments, they got hacked, disorganized handling the seller side of tradelines - how can I trust they vet the purchasers properly?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2168 on: March 03, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Discover closed one of my two cards with them, probably due to tradeline sales.  I'm sure the other one isn't far behind. It's been a good run with the card though. I probably had about 15 tradeline sales with it.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2169 on: March 04, 2018, 04:55:11 AM »
Same here, just got one of two Discover cards closed.  Too bad, I probably had close to 50 sales on that card.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #2170 on: March 04, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
Anyone hear anything from either of Tradeline companies about the Discover shutdowns? Did anyone who got their card shut down communicate the shutdown to the company? Usually there is a note sent out when cards are getting shut down, or cards are rested, etc. but I haven't seen anything. I just had a discover sale, so far no shutdown, but keeping fingers crossed...

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2171 on: March 04, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
Anyone hear anything from either of Tradeline companies about the Discover shutdowns? Did anyone who got their card shut down communicate the shutdown to the company? Usually there is a note sent out when cards are getting shut down, or cards are rested, etc. but I haven't seen anything. I just had a discover sale, so far no shutdown, but keeping fingers crossed...

I asked TL2 company to rest my discover a few weeks ago.  They just confirmed they would, no comments.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: March 04, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
I emailed TL1 this morning and told them my card was shut down.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2173 on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
So my Discover account has been shut down as well.  I knew it was a risk but I am still disappointed.  I was making a lot of money with those sales!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:19:51 PM by dakota5176 »

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2174 on: March 04, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
In good news, that may mean some of you that weren’t getting sales may start seeing sales now...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2175 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
If the CC takes SSN, you can probably skip address.  It may not match and you won't be paid... 

Barclays does not take SSN on web site so I input the address.  However, BC seems to be very lax...

Citi website does not have SSN either, so you have to call in.  Are you sure you're not supposed to call in to Barclays to put in SSN?  I was under the impression the SSN is the most important piece of information and must be added (which is why I have to call citi instead of doing it online).

I just got an add on my BoA card.  BoA lets me add everything online myself, which is so much easier.  I don't understand why all cc companies don't let us just add AU directly with all the info via web page.  When I call it in that's all the rep is doing is just typing the information I give them, except there is potential for errors since we are literally playing telephone.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2176 on: March 05, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
If the CC takes SSN, you can probably skip address.  It may not match and you won't be paid... 

Barclays does not take SSN on web site so I input the address.  However, BC seems to be very lax...

Citi website does not have SSN either, so you have to call in.  Are you sure you're not supposed to call in to Barclays to put in SSN?  I was under the impression the SSN is the most important piece of information and must be added (which is why I have to call citi instead of doing it online).

I just got an add on my BoA card.  BoA lets me add everything online myself, which is so much easier.  I don't understand why all cc companies don't let us just add AU directly with all the info via web page.  When I call it in that's all the rep is doing is just typing the information I give them, except there is potential for errors since we are literally playing telephone.

Except for piggybackers, it's a feature that probably isn't used very much by regular users.  Not worth the IT development and support costs.  Even though I like BofA for doing so, if I were the CEO or a shareholder I would think it a mistake.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2177 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

You are supposed to.  All of my BC adds have worked without SSN.  I'm being lazy..

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2178 on: March 05, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »

You are supposed to.  All of my BC adds have worked without SSN.  I'm being lazy..

same here i never call to add with barclays and they've always worked.  i'm more concerned about getting paid.  i always have to email its quite annoying and now responses take longer.  they need to automate this payment system or start paying us interest.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2179 on: March 05, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

Except for piggybackers, it's a feature that probably isn't used very much by regular users.  Not worth the IT development and support costs.  Even though I like BofA for doing so, if I were the CEO or a shareholder I would think it a mistake.

But they already have the feature (or else how could the reps do it?).  How does it make sense to employ a rep for me to call into three times(looking at you citi) to add an AU, but not just roll that feature into your main website?  Surely those reps don't work for free.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2180 on: March 05, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »

But they already have the feature (or else how could the reps do it?).  How does it make sense to employ a rep for me to call into three times(looking at you citi) to add an AU, but not just roll that feature into your main website?  Surely those reps don't work for free.

Reps are very cheap (just above minimum wage) and are probably considered an ambiguous sunk cost by most CC execs.  IT people are expensive and the projects to "just roll [features] in" have large and visible price tags.  Converting an "internal" feature where a CSR can add someone to the database to an "external" feature where a customer can use it still costs money.  So maybe $100K to convert it to an external feature vs. $1 ($10 per hour times six minutes for the AU add phone call).

I agree with you about the three times thing being doubleplusungood.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-id-theft-thousands-of-credit-applicants-who-dont-exist-1520350404

Here's an article that discusses a type of credit card fraud. The guy created tons of fictitious people and applied for loans in their name. CPNs are referenced, and so is bust out fraud.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2182 on: March 06, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
So as I posted above, Discover closed the card I was using to sell tradelines.  Today they closed my second account with them.  This was a new account and I had never sold any tradelines on this card.  I didn't think they regularly did that.  Are tradeline sales becoming unworkable? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:14:28 PM by dakota5176 »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2183 on: March 06, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
My second Discover card got closed down as well.  Goodbye Discover. Hello Barclay, Bank of America, PNC, and US Bank.

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2184 on: March 06, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
Were you selling tradelines on your second account?  Unfortunately either I don't have an account with those other companies or it is too new to sell for tradelines.  I'm going to miss the money (at least for a few years)!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2185 on: March 06, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-new-id-theft-thousands-of-credit-applicants-who-dont-exist-1520350404

Here's an article that discusses a type of credit card fraud. The guy created tons of fictitious people and applied for loans in their name. CPNs are referenced, and so is bust out fraud.

That is a disturbing yet clarifying article. Thanks for posting. Hopefully the tradeline companies are doing all they can to prevent CPN's from slipping through the cracks into their system.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2186 on: March 06, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
I called citi and added 2 unrelated AU at the same time.  Citi send both cards in the same envelope addressed to the first AU at my address.  Seems kind of weird that they would send both in the same envelope, even though it's the same address.  Seems super weird that they would address it to only one of the AU too.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2187 on: March 06, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
I called citi and added 2 unrelated AU at the same time.  Citi send both cards in the same envelope addressed to the first AU at my address.  Seems kind of weird that they would send both in the same envelope, even though it's the same address.  Seems super weird that they would address it to only one of the AU too.

They're just saving money. They sent me my replacement card (even though i didn't ask for it and still had time before my previous card expires) and an AU card in the same envelope to my address. No big deal.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2188 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »
I’m out.  For a couple sales but decided I don’t trust this company and I’d rather not have my cards closed down.  I don’t have many eligible cards anyways

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #2189 on: March 07, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »

I emailed 2 TL companies about a similar article from the GAO (Step 4) just before Christmas, and this one never replied (no real surprise, eh?).

I've now rested both my cards with this company. I ended up with 4 total AUs since Aug (4 on 1 card) so I can't complain as much as others.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2190 on: March 07, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
Re: Discover shutdowns. I noticed that TL co. 1 shows both my Discover slots as sold this month but I didn't get notifications for adds, and I'm past the add date now, so I wonder if they're resting Discover cards but haven't notified us?

ETA: oops, received notice for an add right as I posted the above message, but when I go to discover to add the user I get this friendly little message:

Please Call Us to Update Your Account
You've previously initiated a credit bureau fraud alert on this account. If you'd like to make an update to your account,
please call us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) from the phone number you submitted to that credit bureau.

Nope, I initiated no fraud alert on this account. I don't know what that means. Ba bye, Discover adds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:34:39 PM by RedwoodDreams »

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2191 on: March 07, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
That was the message I received from Discover right before I was notified that the account had been closed.  It's disappointing but at least I made a nice chunk of change first.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2192 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
I have extreme issues with this company. I don't think they vet users to the level they say. And they do not pay you unless you ask. And they mess that up too. I'm pretty well done with this company I have better ones I use and they are much better organized how can you say you actually do all of these things to vet your clients but can't pay someone on time. Is not 1930 the computer and automated payment systems gave been invented

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2193 on: March 08, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
I have extreme issues with this company. I don't think they vet users to the level they say. And they do not pay you unless you ask. And they mess that up too. I'm pretty well done with this company I have better ones I use and they are much better organized how can you say you actually do all of these things to vet your clients but can't pay someone on time. Is not 1930 the computer and automated payment systems gave been invented

I solved this problem by publicly making a similar complaint here.  All of my sales magically dried up immediately.  I've had zero sales since then, something like eight months. 

Maybe coincidence?

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2194 on: March 08, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
That was the message I received from Discover right before I was notified that the account had been closed.  It's disappointing but at least I made a nice chunk of change first.

My Discover card was closed today. Those who want to hold onto their Discover cards might want to rest those cards for a while.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2195 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »

Can you say or PM who you use?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2196 on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »

That is a disturbing yet clarifying article. Thanks for posting. Hopefully the tradeline companies are doing all they can to prevent CPN's from slipping through the cracks into their system.

As slack as Company 2 has been on straightforward stuff like "paying people on time" - I no longer trust them to thoroughly vet buyers.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #2197 on: March 11, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
BOA closed both of my cards for "irregular activity" today.  One card was 2 years old and another was 11 years old.   I had only added one AU on the 2 y.o. card and two on the 11 y.o.  I activated the AU cards and made small ~$3 purchases/month. When I called the fraud people at BOA they wouldn't give any specifics.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2198 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2199 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:56 PM »
Perhaps BofA is not far behind Discover. I have a feeling tradelines is going to be a thing of the past soon. Sucks for those getting the bulk of the sales.

To me it sucks more for those who just got a couple of sales and were canceled anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:37:01 PM by TomTX »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!