Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901491 times)

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2050 on: February 01, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
It's tax time.  Is everyone planning to file a schedule C (business profit and loss) and a schedule SE (self employment taxes) for all of their tradeline sales?

Is there any way to avoid doing so?  Seems like a giant pain for everyone, for such a tiny amount of money.

Possibly.  If you read the last sentence of the instructions for box 7 on Form 1099-MISC, it says you can, under certain criteria, report the income as other income on line 21 of Form 1040.

It is up to you to determine if your facts and circumstances meet those criteria.

This post in the "Small Business and Misc. Income Best Practices" thread identifies helpful guidance for making that determination.

Separately, I want to note that I just received an add from the new company (my first in many months) and the instructions in the portal said not to put my own phone number in that field in the authorized user request but to instead "just make one up" (this was for a Capital One card).  I found it disconcerting that the company was instructing me to lie (I believe this is the first time they have done so, in my case).  I disregarded this instruction and put my own phone number (which probably increases the chances that my credit card account will be shut down; presumably mitigating that risk is the reason for the company's instruction), but I would rather run that risk than make a misrepresentation in my authorized user application.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2051 on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
If I had a sale in Oct but didn't get paid until Jan, is that 2017 or 2018 income?

2018 income.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2052 on: February 01, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »
Instructions for schedule SE indicate that you don't have to pay self employment tax if you made less than $400 (net). With less than $400 and no 1099, I'd be inclined to say it is safe to report as "Other Income" on 1040 line 21. If your recieved a 1099 and want to report net income less than that you'll probably want to file schedule C to show your expenses (still no need for schedule SE if under $400 net income).

If you net $400 or more in a tax year from all your side hussle activities combined, you'll probably want to take a deeper look at the tax laws. You could reasonably argue that a signficant part of TL income is business profits not earned income and there are many ways to structure a business.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2053 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:01 AM »
As a data point, I received a 1099 from Citi for $400 from the checking account bonus I received. 

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2054 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »
As a data point, I received a 1099 from Citi for $400 from the checking account bonus I received.

The threshold for issuing a 1099-INT is lower than 1099-MISC

chuckster

• Stubble
« Reply #2055 on: February 02, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
Following

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2056 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
How do you guys add tradelines for barclaycard? I did it online a couple of times (there is no field to enter SSN) and the tradelines posted. Is it ok to add them online instead of calling barclays even though you don't add SSN?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2057 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
How do you guys add tradelines for barclaycard? I did it online a couple of times (there is no field to enter SSN) and the tradelines posted. Is it ok to add them online instead of calling barclays even though you don't add SSN?

I always do it online for Barclays.  No issues after dozens of adds.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2058 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »
It's tax time.  Is everyone planning to file a schedule C (business profit and loss) and a schedule SE (self employment taxes) for all of their tradeline sales?

Is there any way to avoid doing so?  Seems like a giant pain for everyone, for such a tiny amount of money.

Earn $599 or less and hope they don't send a 1099?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/am-i-required-to-file-a-form-1099-or-other-information-return

That’s called “tax evasion” and it’s a crime.

Sure, just like everyone evades tax when they fail to go through all their online purchases for the year and check which ones might be subject to "use tax" thanks to a lack of sales tax being collected by the merchant.

If there's no 1099, you're on the honor system and when you are on the honor system, it obviously becomes drastically easier to bypass Schedules C and SE.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2059 on: February 03, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
It’s still tax evasion even if other people speed on the highway.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2060 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
Or to address your central point more directly: yes, that is also tax evasion.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2061 on: February 03, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
Or to address your central point more directly: yes, that is also tax evasion.

....did I say it wasn't? I in fact said it was. Point being, everybody evades taxes. Except those who don't.

The choice to speed on a highway or not you mentioned is indeed a great example of another illegal activity that many, but not all, partake in.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2062 on: February 03, 2018, 11:26:38 PM »
I made $500 from 3 AUs added in 2017.  I am waiting for a 1099 form. I could have had two more adds in 2017.

I screwed up one opportunity with PNC when I could not remember my special telephone code when talking with them- that got me handed off to some other CSR who asked me a bunch of questions and then told me I would have to take the AU in person to a PNC bank to add them. 

Later for another opportunity to add an AU, I had not noticed that my PNC card had expired and I had not received a new one.  PCN told me that I could not add an AU until I had received a new card.  They claim they had sent me a new card before but it had come back in the mail as undeliverable.  So I had to pass up adding AU and got them to send me a new card

I just recently added an AU to PNC, not without some difficulties.  I did it online on a Saturday, and it would not show I have an AU listed online.  There was only a message in the PNC online message area, that my request to add AU had been submitted and a card would be sent in 7-10 days.  I called PNC a few days later and they confirmed the add, but it still did not show online.  Then I got the AU card in the mail after a couple of days. Then got two letters from PNC, one saying AU was added, welcome, blah blah and another letter saying AU was removed at my request (which I did not request).  So I called PNC again to confirm that AU was added and asked about the conflicting letters.  They said the AU removal letter was sent by mistake.  Not sure if I got the AU added by the deadline, but it was real close.  Will have to wait and see if it posted for the AU.

I am feeling that the PNC card is jinxed.  But it has a $25K limit, so it is  high paying card for me.  Just added a new Barclays card that finally was 2 years old. 

I am happy with the extra money and thanks to Arebelspy for provding me with opportunity and knowledge to partake in this activity.  I will still have to figure out the tax reporting.  I think I reached the SS income cap last year with my regular salary, so I may not need to pay self-employment tax.  Will probably just report income as misc income. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2063 on: February 03, 2018, 11:28:36 PM »
I made $500 from 3 AUs added in 2017.  I am waiting for a 1099 form. I could have had two more adds in 2017.

If you made less than $600, you will not get a 1099. You will have to self-report it on your taxes.

Bummer about the two weird PNC issues--hopefully that's all fixed now. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2064 on: February 04, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
I got a PNC card a year ago hoping that after it aged it would be a good card for adding AU's. Thanks for posting the challenges you faced with that.

tical00111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2065 on: February 05, 2018, 07:44:34 AM »
I found this thread from a link on another personal finance blog a few days ago. Lots of info on here. It sounds like a nice side gig! I've worked hard to keep a clean credit profile and stay organized with the credit card usage. Looking forward to doing all the research and getting started.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2066 on: February 05, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
all those who are filling out schedule C's should be opening SEP IRA's to defer 20% of the taxes. 

and in 2018 we'll all be able to get a 20% tax break on top of that due to the new tax cuts.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2067 on: February 05, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
all those who are filling out schedule C's should be opening SEP IRA's to defer 20% of the taxes. 

and in 2018 we'll all be able to get a 20% tax break on top of that due to the new tax cuts.

Agreed! I recommend a SEP with Schwab, was easy to open and has no minimums or fees. I just sent off my 2017 contribution on Saturday.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2068 on: February 05, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »

Agreed! I recommend a SEP with Schwab, was easy to open and has no minimums or fees. I just sent off my 2017 contribution on Saturday.

Does it work if you have a job and earned income in addition to income from tradelines? Also, if you already contribute to 401K and ROTH IRA?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2069 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »

Does it work if you have a job and earned income in addition to income from tradelines? Also, if you already contribute to 401K and ROTH IRA?

SEP is considered from employer portion, so yes, assuming you haven't hit the limit for all employer contributions which is something ridiculous like $50k..

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2070 on: February 06, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »

I asked this in a thread in the Tax forum, but could you open a Simple IRA instead?  Those have a $12,500 limit that I think is separate from tIRA and Roth Iras.  If so, I could just throw all of my tradeline income into one instead of just 20% of it into my SEP.  I admit I don't know much about Simple IRAs, it seems there are some weird contributions rules that you need to choose from.

Here is the link I was looking at: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/simple-ira-tips-for-the-sole-proprietor
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:38:25 AM by kpd905 »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2071 on: February 06, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »

I asked this in a thread in the Tax forum, but could you open a Simple IRA instead?  Those have a $12,500 limit that I think is separate from tIRA and Roth Iras.  If so, I could just throw all of my tradeline income into one instead of just 20% of it into my SEP.  I admit I don't know much about Simple IRAs, it seems there are some weird contributions rules that you need to choose from.

Here is the link I was looking at: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/simple-ira-tips-for-the-sole-proprietor

As long as you don't have a 401(k). They are subject to the same limit according to a tax expert that posted here.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2072 on: February 06, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
As long as you don't have a 401(k). They are subject to the same limit according to a tax expert that posted here.

I see, I knew there had to be a catch.  Guess I'll stick with my SEP then.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #2073 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:19 PM »

How much can you contribute to a SEP if you maxed out your 401K contributions for 2017?
And can you get a tax deduction on a SEP?

spacecadet610

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2074 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:18 PM »
My original agreement from last year was to be paid $250 per AU.

Looks like I only got $200.

Can he just change it like that if we had an agreement?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2075 on: February 07, 2018, 02:58:35 AM »

No.

Contact the owner and let him know about the error.

If you don't get a response after a bit, contact me.

They are planning on dropping the prices paid to be more in line with the industry (they currently pay the highest prices, and it's not sustainable as the prices charged to AUs for tradelines has dropped over the last year), but not until all payments are caught up.

This will be announced ahead of time, and you will have the opportunity to remove your cards from availability if you don't want to continue selling them at those prices.

You should always be paid at the rate that was agreed upon ahead of time.

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2076 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
Payment for Nov add came through yesterday. I'm caught up.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2077 on: February 07, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »

How much can you contribute to a SEP if you maxed out your 401K contributions for 2017?
And can you get a tax deduction on a SEP?

It's like 20% of profit...I don't remember specifically...google it, there's only one SEP limit. Yes, it is deductible. There is no roth SEP option.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2078 on: February 07, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »
Thanks for the mention of SEP.  I had seen mention previously but didn't look into it.  While it won't do much for 2017, it will add up over a few years.  Another bucket...

spacecadet610

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2079 on: February 07, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »

No.

Contact the owner and let him know about the error.

If you don't get a response after a bit, contact me.

They are planning on dropping the prices paid to be more in line with the industry (they currently pay the highest prices, and it's not sustainable as the prices charged to AUs for tradelines has dropped over the last year), but not until all payments are caught up.

This will be announced ahead of time, and you will have the opportunity to remove your cards from availability if you don't want to continue selling them at those prices.

You should always be paid at the rate that was agreed upon ahead of time.

:)

Yeah i had emailed him that I was supposed to get $250 instead of $200. He never responded to that email.

UPDATE: he did actually respond today after i emailed him again. he said he would send me the $50

He did reply to previous and subsequent emails about not receiving payments.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:54:31 AM by spacecadet610 »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2080 on: February 08, 2018, 06:11:49 AM »
Got my first add after having two cards signed up for a year now.  Honestly forgot about it.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2081 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:15 AM »
SEP is considered from employer portion, so yes, assuming you haven't hit the limit for all employer contributions which is something ridiculous like $50k..
Actually the 54K limit is per-employer.  So if you've got a very generous employer and a big side business, you could get $108K, as an example.

Not correct. The limit is an aggregate of all plans:
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/how-much-salary-can-you-defer-if-youre-eligible-for-more-than-one-retirement-plan

annann

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2082 on: February 08, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
I received my 1099-MISC for 2017 and did not open it right away as I am in the middle of moving.  It is for exactly double the amount of money that they paid me for 2017.  I have sent them a e-mail requesting they send me a corrected 1099.

Be sure that what your received from them is for the correct amount you earned.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2083 on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »
Got an update from the owner with a much encouraging progress on the late payments: All November payments have been made, and about 1/3 of the December (due 9 days ago). Hopefully should be all caught up this month.

PM me if you did not yet receive payment for an AU add that posted in November.

Tr10av

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2084 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
After resting my Discover card since the audit, I added my first AU to my Discover card 3 days ago. This morning I received notification my account had been closed. Oh well, nice run while it lasted.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2085 on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »
My Discover got shut down yesterday as well :(

I had a limit of 2 users, but I guess Discover is still not safe to use!

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2086 on: February 10, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
My Discover got shut down yesterday as well :(

I had a limit of 2 users, but I guess Discover is still not safe to use!

Disappointing to read about these Discover card account closings because I reliably sell 1-2 slots (max is 2 for me) every month via TL co. #1 (and have done so for the past two years). I would really like to know what flags trigger an audit by Discover... Perhaps it's random. Card use or lack therof? Activation (or not) of AU's card after you receive it? I use my Discover card regularly for Amazon purchases -- don't know if this factors in or not.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #2087 on: February 10, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
My Discover Card was just shut down as well.
I used the card monthly and always activated and used the AU cards.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2088 on: February 10, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
My Discover Card was just shut down as well.
I used the card monthly and always activated and used the AU cards.

...and on the other end of the spectrum, I barely used mine and never activated AU cards after receiving them. It feels random to me.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2089 on: February 11, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Yikes then it's only a matter of time before my 2 Discover cards will get shut down.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #2090 on: February 11, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
TL company say anything about the Discover shutdown?

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2091 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:23 AM »
I never re-activated my Discover card with them (after one of my 2 Discover cards got shutdown in the last round), but if you have one that you care about keeping, I'd recommend proactively asking the tradeline co. to suspend it.  Discover is closing these things with no warning, and you don't even have to be a heavy user (I think I had only sold 1 tradeline on the card they shut down).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2092 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
How can they even know it's a tradeline if it's only one AU?  I've added family members with different last names as AU on accounts (not on discover though).  Seems ridiculous they would cancel the card for adding a single AU.  What's the point of them even allowing AU if that's gonna be their policy?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2093 on: February 12, 2018, 09:37:04 AM »
The company portal appears to be down. Anybody else able to get in?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2094 on: February 12, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »

Down for me too.  Times out on some sort of SQL database connection request.

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #2095 on: February 12, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
Got an update from the owner with a much encouraging progress on the late payments: All November payments have been made, and about 1/3 of the December (due 9 days ago). Hopefully should be all caught up this month.

PM me if you did not yet receive payment for an AU add that posted in November.

Wonder what happened to the guy who was owed like 6 grand

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2096 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

Down for me too.  Times out on some sort of SQL database connection request.

Somebody over there is reading this thread.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2097 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Has anybody been instructed to leave an AU on for longer because they "purchased an extra month"? I'm just wondering if this counts as another sale and I should expect to get paid for it, or not.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2098 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
How can they even know it's a tradeline if it's only one AU?  I've added family members with different last names as AU on accounts (not on discover though).  Seems ridiculous they would cancel the card for adding a single AU.  What's the point of them even allowing AU if that's gonna be their policy?

If I was a credit card company, I'd be looking at ways to identify fraudulent (paid stranger) AUs.  I can think of several different ways to do that.

CCs already have a vast store of knowledge about you.  They can probably identify your ten closest relatives already, despite some of those people having different names.  I'd look at your usage history on my company's card and all of your other cards, because it seems unlikely an ordinary user would add and then immediately remove 6-10 AUs per card in a year.  Then I'd look at geographic proximity, because you're more likely to personally know somebody in your town than you are someone in Iran.  I'd also keep a database of known fraudulent AUs, by name and SS and the CC used to purchase the slot, because while some of these purchasers are probably legitimate Americans in need of credit repair, others are apparently international crime syndicates and hackers who buy these things as part of a larger enterprise. 

If it was really important to me, and none of those were working, I'd just pay the tradeline company directly for information about their adds.  Money talks.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
« Reply #2099 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
Has anybody been instructed to leave an AU on for longer because they "purchased an extra month"? I'm just wondering if this counts as another sale and I should expect to get paid for it, or not.

Yes, I've been asked to do this, and you will be paid for that extra month, yes.