Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 535547 times)

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #2000 on: January 14, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
I haven't had any orders from the new company since November last year. Had a few orders last year prior to that. Is it just me? Are you guys still getting orders?

No orders for me in nearly a year. I've pretty much given up on it. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2001 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:24 PM »
I haven't had any orders from the new company since November last year. Had a few orders last year prior to that. Is it just me? Are you guys still getting orders?

Same here but I might be on a blacklist cause I didn't want to upload my banking data to an insecure website.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2002 on: January 14, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

Same here but I might be on a blacklist cause I didn't want to upload my banking data to an insecure website.

Maybe the orders are only being doled out to a select few and we're not in that clique

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: January 14, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
3 orders in ~13 months with this company.  Just got the third order last month.  It had been quiet for about 6 months before that.

I have had much better luck with the "old" recommendation.

beekayworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2004 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
I used the technique mentioned here of shifting credit limits between cards successfully with my two Chase cards. Worked like a charm!

Then I tried to do it with my two Citi cards and the rep told me each card has a CL based on conditions at the time I got the card so I can't reallocate between cards.

One is a Citibank AAdvantage with 53,300k CL and the other is Citi Double Cash with 15k limit. I wanted to move 18k so that one would have 35.3k and the other would have 33k.

(The Double Cash had a CL increase less than 6 months ago, so I couldn't increase it that way.)

She asked if there was anything else she could help me with so I went ahead and asked for a CL increase to 65k on my AAdvantage card.  I had been hesitant to increase that one because it already is so ridiculously high, but since she asked and I'd been turned down for a reallocation, I thought why not?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2005 on: January 15, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
So are you getting a lot of tradeline sales on that 53K credit line Citi AAdvantage card?

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2006 on: January 15, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »
I used the technique mentioned here of shifting credit limits between cards successfully with my two Chase cards. Worked like a charm!

Then I tried to do it with my two Citi cards and the rep told me each card has a CL based on conditions at the time I got the card so I can't reallocate between cards.

One is a Citibank AAdvantage with 53,300k CL and the other is Citi Double Cash with 15k limit. I wanted to move 18k so that one would have 35.3k and the other would have 33k.

(The Double Cash had a CL increase less than 6 months ago, so I couldn't increase it that way.)

She asked if there was anything else she could help me with so I went ahead and asked for a CL increase to 65k on my AAdvantage card.  I had been hesitant to increase that one because it already is so ridiculously high, but since she asked and I'd been turned down for a reallocation, I thought why not?

BTW, her answer was bullshit. She may not know how to do it, but it certainly can be done. I've done CL reallocation twice with Citi.  The first time was when closing my Citi Hilton card, I transferred most of the credit line to another card. The other time was just because I wanted to (I did have to be bold/confident, because they initially told me it couldn't be done - my answer was that I had already done it on another card)

beekayworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2007 on: January 16, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
So are you getting a lot of tradeline sales on that 53K credit line Citi AAdvantage card?

I haven't signed up yet. I'm still on the first step of getting my credit lines increased.

beekayworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2008 on: January 16, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »
....I did have to be bold/confident, because they initially told me it couldn't be done - my answer was that I had already done it on another card)

Thank you! This is very helpful. I'm going to try again. 

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2009 on: January 16, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
The deadline for 1099-MISC reporting is Jan 31, I believe?  I hope they get them out in a timely fashion, as I like to get my taxes done early. 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2010 on: January 17, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »
Anyone else getting credit card offers for an AU? I just got a capital one offer addressed to the AU I added at my address.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2011 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
Anyone else getting credit card offers for an AU? I just got a capital one offer addressed to the AU I added at my address.

Yes, but definitely a very rare occurrence. I just shred it and don't give it a second thought.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2012 on: January 17, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »

Yes, but definitely a very rare occurrence. I just shred it and don't give it a second thought.

I will shred it, but I've only had one AU add (to Citi).  Some how from that capital one is sending him offers.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2013 on: January 17, 2018, 12:15:56 PM »
Capital One is a pest. Have got one for a Citi AU add from a few months back. I just wrote "not at this address" and returned it. Now, after a couple of weeks, Cap One sends another for the same AU.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2014 on: January 17, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »
Fuck capital one.  They turned both me and my wife down for CC last time we did a round of sign ups.  Meaning we have 0 capital one cards between us.  And they have the balls to mail me, her, and this random AU offers on a damn near weekly basis. 

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #2015 on: January 18, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
Anyone else not been paid for November adds yet? Wondering if I should send another follow-up email.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2016 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
I have not been paid for my November add yet.

frozen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Selling tradelines on your own is very risky.  You would likely need legal advice prior to doing so. In 2010, the FTC filed a case against a Florida credit repair company and two of its employees for deceptive practices in the marketing and sale of credit repair services, including tradeline sales. Here is the document:
https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cases/2010/03/100318rcamotion.pdf

As a best practice, you might want to stick with one of the well-researched, recommended companies.

Hello all. I have been a FI blog reader for some time, but recently moreso and stumbled upon Keith the Wealthy Accountant's post and from there, here, where I have done some research. The only forum I have really been active on is r/personalfinace (and some r/financialindependence) as u/ClosertothesunNA (old gaming tag).

I am interested in doing this as a side gig, but a lot of the goings on here (problems with companies and warnings about authorization) leads me to prefer to list my own tradelines for sale, if possible. But there seem to be a few barriers there, and I wonder if I could discuss this with anyone, or post here. I have some specific questions about verifying users and how/whether I should protect my own identity.

I believe most have concluded that path to be too risky.

monarda

• Bristles
« Reply #2018 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »
I haven't been paid yet for an October 20 add (posted 11/7). I wrote to them but have had no reply. Usually I get a pretty quick reply.

I also haven't yet removed that AU, today is 71 days from posting, and more than 75 days since 10/20 when I added them. On Monday I plan to use the card for a major purchase, whether or not the AU is still on there.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2019 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »
The deadline for 1099-MISC reporting is Jan 31, I believe?  I hope they get them out in a timely fashion, as I like to get my taxes done early.

Spoke to the owner, these should be going out very soon (he said this week).

Anyone else not been paid for November adds yet? Wondering if I should send another follow-up email.

Spoke to the owner, he's processed some of the November payments, but most have not been made, and are now about 3 weeks late. He's working on catching up.

I'll be curious to see over the next few months if it falls further behind, and it's time to abandon ship, or if it gets caught up.

It's been like this for about 4-5 months, and everyone has been paid for all adds so far (albeit late), but it's not a great sign.

I haven't been paid yet for an October 20 add (posted 11/7).

That's a Nov add (when it posts is the relevant part--that's when they get "added" to the CC and it shows up). See above. :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #2020 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:03 PM »
I'm still waiting on my October add that posted 10/26 .  Kinda irritating that they are processing nov adds already and havent gotten to mine. 

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
I'm still waiting on my October add that posted 10/26 .  Kinda irritating that they are processing nov adds already and havent gotten to mine.
You're not the only one - I haven't been paid for October either. Was told that payment was sent out, but I haven't seen it yet - which means Monday at the earliest.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2022 on: January 20, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
I finally got an add on one of my Chase cards.

I ha e 100,000 points on that sapphire card

Should I convert those to $?

Will that chase card getting shut down affect my chase Reserve card?  I have several hundred thousand points on that one.

secondcor521

• Handlebar Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2023 on: January 20, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
I finally got an add on one of my Chase cards.

I ha e 100,000 points on that sapphire card

Should I convert those to $?

Will that chase card getting shut down affect my chase Reserve card?  I have several hundred thousand points on that one.

You asked your question on a different thread and got answers there:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/best-use-of-chase-sapphire-rewards-points-to-maximize-value-86533

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2024 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
I have serious payment problems with this company.  i've worked with a couple others and never do i have to email them to get paid.  And that is for the adds that i know about - for my referral adds i have no idea if i'm being compensated for those.  really makes you wonder.

Typically i email and get paid immediately now i've sent a couple emails and havent heard back on the ~1k i'm currently owed - 600 of which i was told would be paid in dec.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2025 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
I wish again there were a mustachian tradeline company, maybe based at that mrmoneymustache business space that was refurbished.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2026 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:19 PM »
How are y'all doing with other companies?  Which ones?

I finally got my second add in 14 months with the new company.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2027 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »
Yesterday I was delivered a letter by FEDEX for one AU I had added some months back. Didn't realize that it was not for us when signed for it. Opened it and it was a notice from a car rental company stating that the AU has not returned a rental car which was due on 12/31/2017, yet. Gist was return the car immediately or the house would be raided by cops/DMV. Now one can imagine all sorts of crimes/gang affiliation etc, this individual might be associated with. And now, my address is associated with this person; worse I'm not renting so that the address is permanent as i don't intend to move for many years.

I'm pulling all my cards and not going to do this anymore. The risks/rewards ratio is just not feasible. I posted this just to share a datapoint.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2028 on: January 25, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
I have received a couple of phone calls from debt collection agencies for a couple of authorized users.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2029 on: January 25, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
AU has not returned a rental car which was due on 12/31/2017, yet. Gist was return the car immediately or the house would be raided by cops/DMV.

If you get your front door kicked down in a predawn raid, be sure to come back here to post pictures of the damage.  After you make bail, I mean.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2030 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »
I feel like you may not be taking the existential risk of rental cars sufficiently seriously, sol.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Stubble
« Reply #2031 on: January 25, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Gist was return the car immediately or the house would be raided by cops/DMV.

If you get your front door kicked down in a predawn raid, be sure to come back here to post pictures of the damage.  After you make bail, I mean.

Highly doubt the police get involved in recovering rental cars. Otherwise, why would repo companies exist?

A guy who works at Enterprise told me people fail to return rental cars frequently. They basically stake out the last known address or place of employment, wait until someone leaves the car parked on the street or off private property, and then drive it away with a spare key.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2032 on: January 25, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
AU has not returned a rental car which was due on 12/31/2017, yet. Gist was return the car immediately or the house would be raided by cops/DMV.

I can understand your frustration for not getting any adds over the years.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2033 on: January 25, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Gist was return the car immediately or the house would be raided by cops/DMV.

Highly doubt the police get involved in recovering rental cars. Otherwise, why would repo companies exist?

A guy who works at Enterprise told me people fail to return rental cars frequently. They basically stake out the last known address or place of employment, wait until someone leaves the car parked on the street or off private property, and then drive it away with a spare key.

Yes, I know it's unlikely but everyone has their comfort level with things and I think mine is now breached. The stress is not worth the couple of thousand I made last year.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2034 on: January 25, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
Yeah, that is a weird one.

Naturally any false arrest settlement would put you pretty much instantly FI, but it sure isn't worth it.

I have a mailbox service (www.travelingmailbox.com) since I have no permanent address, and I think that's one big reason why I never get mail for former AUs (they are not authorized to receive mail for those people, just myself and my wife). I've never got a phone call either (I don't know how people's phones are attached to their address anyways, unless it's a landline), and this FedEx package similarly wouldn't happen.

I'd suggest anyone worried about something like this use a mail service for any credit card stuff related to AUs (and write off the expense, of course).
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2035 on: January 25, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
Agreed!  I think it is $47/yr for my po box.  Planning to deduct it this tax time.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2036 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »

Naturally any false arrest settlement would put you pretty much instantly FI, but it sure isn't worth it.

I have a mailbox service (www.travelingmailbox.com) since I have no permanent address, and I think that's one big reason why I never get mail for former AUs (they are not authorized to receive mail for those people, just myself and my wife). I've never got a phone call either (I don't know how people's phones are attached to their address anyways, unless it's a landline), and this FedEx package similarly wouldn't happen.

I'd suggest anyone worried about something like this use a mail service for any credit card stuff related to AUs (and write off the expense, of course).

How does this work with Banking? I thought that banks need to have a physical address on file and can't accept a PO Box #.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2037 on: January 25, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »
How does this work with Banking? I thought that banks need to have a physical address on file and can't accept a PO Box #.

I've never had an issue.

It isn't a "PO box" per se. Either way, it's the address on all my credit cards, bank accounts, etc. They've never had a problem with it. (It has been an issue for being a "physical address" for things that want proof of my residence vis-a-vis a utility bill, but that's another issue.)

It's probably whatever shows up on AU's reports, when something does, but like I said, it has acted as a filter for me getting AU mail.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2038 on: January 25, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »

Ok just browsed the website and they provide actual physical addresses to use as yours.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2039 on: January 25, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
I've never got a phone call either (I don't know how people's phones are attached to their address anyways, unless it's a landline)...

I only ever get calls for AUs I add to my capital one card. In order to add an AU online for capital one, you are required to enter a phone number. I was instructed by the company to put my number in the box. It would probably be smarter of me to ignore their instructions and put a fake number. I tell anyone who calls for an AU that I don't recognize the name and they have the wrong number, and that seems to clear it up after a few weeks.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2040 on: January 27, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
Ok, some first hand endorsement of Joe's background checks on TL companies.

With very, very few AUs from the new company, I decided to take a shot at the company who made a thread here.  (if the thread is gone...oh well).  I put a BoA card on it which has been resting forever, and I could care less if it's closed.  Almost immediately, 2 AUs.  Wow....this is half of what I got for 2017 with the "new" company.  Seemed great.  I added the AUs no problem then got the cards in the mail.

Then the email.  One of the AUs used a stolen credit card to pay for the tradeline, remove the AU and watch my cc statements.  Wonderful.  So I closed my account with them.  On the plus side, they did pay the AU that was ok.....and they pay more than the new company. 

So I'll just stick with companies that have been checked out.  Not worth being all stressed out that something could be messed up.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2041 on: January 27, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
Ok, some first hand endorsement of Joe's background checks on TL companies.

With very, very few AUs from the new company, I decided to take a shot at the company who made a thread here.  (if the thread is gone...oh well).  I put a BoA card on it which has been resting forever, and I could care less if it's closed.  Almost immediately, 2 AUs.  Wow....this is half of what I got for 2017 with the "new" company.  Seemed great.  I added the AUs no problem then got the cards in the mail.

Then the email.  One of the AUs used a stolen credit card to pay for the tradeline, remove the AU and watch my cc statements.  Wonderful.  So I closed my account with them.  On the plus side, they did pay the AU that was ok.....and they pay more than the new company. 

So I'll just stick with companies that have been checked out.  Not worth being all stressed out that something could be messed up.

Really unfortunate to hear that.

The guys running that company are good guys, but just way too focused on profit and speed and growth over doing things right. I've spent hours talking with them, but unfortunately haven't been successful, obviously, in convincing them to change.

There's no need to in their mind, I suppose, when there are people willing to refer cardholders to them for cash referral fees, and don't care if the cardholders get burned. I think in the long run, it's bad business, and will bite them, but they'll make money in the short run.

(And I'll disclose here, once again, that I do get referral fees from the companies I recommend, but that's not my reason for recommending them, and I'm happy to refer someone and they don't have to use my referral information. Further, there are multiple companies that do referral programs that I could make a lot more money on, but I won't recommend, due to their business practices. The Mustachian community is more important to me than a quick buck.)

Thanks for letting us know, Car Jack. More sharing and information is good.

It's pretty telling that it's been a year and a half of doing this, with Mustachians having hundreds and hundreds of sales, with very few actual issues, but when people try new companies, there are issues almost immediately.

At the end of the day--as I've said before--I'd rather get just a small handful of adds from a good company, and still make pretty easy side gig money (even if not as high as I'd like) than get lots of adds from a bad company and risk the myriad of things that come with that (especially being complicit in fraud).

nitsuj1225

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2042 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
I would also like to throw my 2 cents out there that I am in the same boat as many with the new company that I haven't been paid for my 2 AU's that were added the end of the October.  I reached out to them via email and haven't heard back of an expected payment yet.  Disappointing to say the least.  With that said, I'm still getting orders with the old company which has picked up the last few months.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2043 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:08 AM »
If you have issues with New Company, PM me so I can help get it resolved.

monarda

• Bristles
« Reply #2044 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Got my tax form from them yesterday.

Will PM you regarding late payment.

ducky19

• Bristles
« Reply #2045 on: January 30, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
Also received my tax documents yesterday.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2046 on: January 30, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Was the tax form sent by email on listed somewhere on their portal?

thanks in advance

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2047 on: January 30, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Got my 1099 in the mail yesterday. It must have been sent a few days back since it was rerouted by the PO to my new address; the company had my old address.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2048 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
Was the tax form sent by email on listed somewhere on their portal?

Millenials are funny!

Snail mail, friend.  The tax forms were printed out on paper and then stuffed into an envelope that are hand-delivered to your home address.  It's like a bespoke document handling services for anti-digital hipsters who really appreciate the tactile immediacy of tearing open sealed envelopes like your great-grandparents used to do. 

It's new.  You probably haven't heard of it yet.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2049 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Thanks sol.  I missed your wit.  :)

The other company emails it so I assumed....  Ya know, what happens when you do that.