Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901468 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Finally got my first add today after months of waiting. 

I was asked by Barclay rep if the person was a US citizen.  ARS, can we assume all the new company's clients are US citizens?

Yep!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
Finally got my first add today after months of waiting. 

I was asked by Barclay rep if the person was a US citizen.  ARS, can we assume all the new company's clients are US citizens?

Yep!

great, thank you!

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I received a call from USAA today about the two recent authorized users cards I added. They were flagged for potential fraud. I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative. Also, as this TL company doesn't include gender information I am at al loss of with these add requests. USAA always asks and I can't tell anything from these names. These first 4 adds I've had haven't been worth the trouble.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
I received a call from USAA today about the two recent authorized users cards I added. They were flagged for potential fraud. I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative. Also, as this TL company doesn't include gender information I am at al loss of with these add requests. USAA always asks and I can't tell anything from these names. These first 4 adds I've had haven't been worth the trouble.

Wow!  This scares me just reading your experience.  I've only had one ad and made up a complete story in my head just in case but with 4 ads and the direct question....yikes.  Are you pulling this card for future ads?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Yeah, that sounds super annoying.

I don't have any USAA cards, so I haven't dealt with any of that.

I feel like I'd put up with the hassle for a few hundred bucks, but maybe not.  Definitely appreciating the Barclays and Discover adds right now, which are all online for both adds and removals (though Discover does occasionally ask for documents, it seems pretty rare, for me).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

I feel like I'd put up with the hassle for a few hundred bucks, but maybe not.  Definitely appreciating the Barclays and Discover adds right now, which are all online for both adds and removals (though Discover does occasionally ask for documents, it seems pretty rare, for me).

So the plot gets thicker. Well I though things were good to go, but I was called back by a
higher level fraud supervisor and grilled for an hour. I was told that
both of these people are from eastern bloc countries (doesn't seen
like it from the names) but I had no choice in their authorized user
accounts being closed. It sounds like one of the actually stole an
identity of someone in the military or was actively impersonating a
military member. Both people I added were individually flagged.

This obviously causes a huge loss faith in their background checks.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal

Yes it does.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative.

Did you lie? If not, how did they react?

This is why USAA isn't worth it to me - I'm sure they could decide to stop insuring me if they feel like it.

TWoK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I was specifically asked if these were part of a credit repair business by the representative.

This is why USAA isn't worth it to me - I'm sure they could decide to stop insuring me if they feel like it.

If I thought coming clean would have saved my accounts then I might have but I suspect that would have been an immediate closure of all of my accounts. We'll see what happeens. They told me they'd be turning my accounts back on within 10 minutes but that was 12 hours ago. I definitely don't want to call back. I'll just see what happens.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

If I thought coming clean would have saved my accounts then I might have but I suspect that would have been an immediate closure of all of my accounts. We'll see what happeens. They told me they'd be turning my accounts back on within 10 minutes but that was 12 hours ago. I definitely don't want to call back. I'll just see what happens.

Dang that's a little scary. The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US). So the thought crossed my mind of them maybe not being vetted well before I called USAA. Everything turned out ok though. This certainly makes me skeptical of their vetting process. 

flashflooder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

So the plot gets thicker. Well I though things were good to go, but I was called back by a
higher level fraud supervisor and grilled for an hour. I was told that
both of these people are from eastern bloc countries (doesn't seen
like it from the names) but I had no choice in their authorized user
accounts being closed. It sounds like one of the actually stole an
identity of someone in the military or was actively impersonating a
military member. Both people I added were individually flagged.

I don't like the sound of this at all....

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US).

This is tangential to the discussion, but a slight pet peeve: You are making a lot of assumptions about whether someone was born in the US or not based on your difficulty in pronouncing their name. There are a lot of implicit cultural and racial assumptions that are slightly problematic in that. (Your guess on their place of birth may or may not be right, but it's worth questioning the assumptions and what they imply)

Also don't forget, if they had a Cherokee name, you might have trouble pronouncing it, depending on your familiarity, but it would be a stretch and maybe slightly insulting to say they are't native to the US :)

Not to detour the conversation

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Where they were born isn't really of concern to us.  Having the story lined up might.  My (only) ad was a foreign sounding name that I practiced and when calling to add the ss #, the CSR had trouble pronouncing the first name and I jumped right in with the correct (aka, what I had pre-determined is the correct) pronunciation.  Right to ss # add and have a nice day.

I have had people say "buy a vowel!" when spelling out my last name.  It's eastern European but 3rd generation.  I actually pronounce it incorrectly from its origin.  I'm sure it would sound foreign born to someone just looking at it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
The names of the folks for my AU adds were difficult to pronounce (definitely not native to the US).

This is tangential to the discussion, but a slight pet peeve: You are making a lot of assumptions about whether someone was born in the US or not based on your difficulty in pronouncing their name. There are a lot of implicit cultural and racial assumptions that are slightly problematic in that. (Your guess on their place of birth may or may not be right, but it's worth questioning the assumptions and what they imply)

Also don't forget, if they had a Cherokee name, you might have trouble pronouncing it, depending on your familiarity, but it would be a stretch and maybe slightly insulting to say they are't native to the US :)

Not to detour the conversation

I understand after reading what I wrote that this might have come off insulting. And I apologize. I have no ideal if the AUs are native to the US but what I meant (and probably could have stated more eloquently) was that their names are not typical US names. In fact I did a bit of Googling in trying to learn how to pronounce at least one of the names and was able to find it's origination.  Quite interesting to find that it's a very rare name in the US.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:40:29 AM by BeginnerStache »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
I have found an easy way to avoid the potential mispronunciation is to say "it would probably be best if I just spelled it for you." When I have done this and spelled it out, they haven't asked for me to say the name. I do still try to research how to pronounce it and I have it spelled out phonetically in my notes in case they do.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
I have found an easy way to avoid the potential mispronunciation is to say "it would probably be best if I just spelled it for you." When I have done this and spelled it out, they haven't asked for me to say the name. I do still try to research how to pronounce it and I have it spelled out phonetically in my notes in case they do.

man you guys are putting alot of work into this i just call in and spell it and i'm done with it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache

man you guys are putting alot of work into this i just call in and spell it and i'm done with it.

Haha, you are probably right. I probably wouldn't care if USAA wasn't such a stickler for everything. I like to be prepared.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
I've got one AU that I added to my card on 4/11/17, posted 4/16/17 but it says it is not confirmed yet. Is this normal or can I expect a failure on this one?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I've got one AU that I added to my card on 4/11/17, posted 4/16/17 but it says it is not confirmed yet. Is this normal or can I expect a failure on this one?

I'm sure they're just waiting to hear from the client that it posted.

RedwoodDreams

• Stubble
Another data point re: Discover Card / old TL co.

I've been easily adding and removing AUs for months now online, add the info, instant approval, thank you very much, we're sending you the card. Easy!

A few days ago I added an AU and was asked for the first time to upload documentation proving SS/citizenship, no problem, then again, instant approval, card is on its way. Easy!

Then today I went to add another AU online. It didn't ask for any documentation, I just got a message that said "Check back here for our decision..." but when I logged off/ back on, I didn't see anything like "pending" or anything as I poked around the Manage authorized users section. I couldn't tell if the request had actually "stuck."

So I did a chat with them, they confirmed that they'd received the request, and said that they'd let me know their decision in 72 hours. That puts me past the statement closing date, so I guess I can't make this particular sale, but more concerning is that either a) I'm doing enough adding and removing of AUs that they're starting to look more closely at *my* account before they approve AU adds, or b) in general, they're being more methodical/focused on AUs being added.

Bummer!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
As I mentioned previously, I limited my US Bank card with OldCo to 1 AU.

sol

• Walrus Stache
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it too much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:07:56 PM by sol »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it to much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?

Good point.  I did have the thought that the possible tradeline company forum should be moved to journals to block it from google, etc.  Maybe this one too..

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I'm sure they're just waiting to hear from the client that it posted.
Why would they need to hear from the client... actually...
Dear Mr Rebel;   Could you give us an overview of the whole process?
How does the Co. market this?  How does the Co approve a client? How do the clients pick or get a card slot to be added to?  How are the adds confirmed?  Etc...

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
I think we've had too many bank employees visit this thread.  Maybe ars single handedly destroyed the AU industry by bringing it to much publicity?  Is every bank now going to crack down on this process?

Good point.  I did have the thought that the possible tradeline company forum should be moved to journals to block it from google, etc.  Maybe this one too..

I second this suggestion. Move to journals?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
Since February, I have added 4 authorized users onto my US Bank Mastercard. This past weekend, my card was denied at the store when I tried to make a small purchase. Then again, the next day, it was denied. Hmmmm...

So, just 30 minutes ago, I called the number on the back of the card. Instead of the generalized prompts and such,  after entering my card number I was immediately transferred to a live customer service rep, and several questions were fired off instantly. "Can you tell me your name and address please?" No problem. "Last 4 of your SSN?" Yep. "Your date of birth please?" Sure. Then, "What can I assist you with today sir?

I told her that my card had been denied recently at the store. She said, "let me look into that". Then, "Do you have any other users on your account?" Yes, I do. "How many?"

This is where I faltered. I could only remember the first two individuals that I had added. I work from home, and I had my computer in front of me, and was FAST at the keys. The first two AU's were added before the web portal, and I had to search my email for the request I had received to add them. I found it (not very fast, and had to make b.s chit-chat), and then told her I had added two, and then gave her the names of the users.

She says, "Is that all? Do you only have those two?" At which point I'm like, "Yea. For sure." and she says, "Mr. Smith, you'll have to go down to your local US bank location, with your drivers license etc, and provide all of the information in person. The data you've given me doesn't QUITE match up to our records."

At this point I realized I have two more recently added, and I have 4 total A/U's on the card.

So, thats where I'm at now. I'm about to go down to the US Bank near my house, and get this sorted out. I'm the fastest talking guy in the city when I have all the information in my head, but allowed them to get the best of me when I called, unprepared to answer the questions that I should have foreseen would be asked.

I'll keep you guys posted.

The service rep then moved directly onto following questions and asked if I had any other users on my card. I told her I did. She asked for the names. I was caught off guard, and didn't have the names of all of the authorized users at hand immediately.

I was told I'll need to go into a US Bank location and provide all information, for all of the authorized users on my account, in order to lift the hold on my account.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Since February, I have added 4 authorized users onto my US Bank Mastercard. This past weekend, my card was denied at the store when I tried to make a small purchase. Then again, the next day, it was denied. Hmmmm...

So, just 30 minutes ago, I called the number on the back of the card. Instead of the generalized prompts and such,  after entering my card number I was immediately transferred to a live customer service rep, and several questions were fired off instantly. "Can you tell me your name and address please?" No problem. "Last 4 of your SSN?" Yep. "Your date of birth please?" Sure. Then, "What can I assist you with today sir?

I told her that my card had been denied recently at the store. She said, "let me look into that". Then, "Do you have any other users on your account?" Yes, I do. "How many?"

This is where I faltered. I could only remember the first two individuals that I had added. I work from home, and I had my computer in front of me, and was FAST at the keys. The first two AU's were added before the web portal, and I had to search my email for the request I had received to add them. I found it (not very fast, and had to make b.s chit-chat), and then told her I had added two, and then gave her the names of the users.

She says, "Is that all? Do you only have those two?" At which point I'm like, "Yea. For sure." and she says, "Mr. Smith, you'll have to go down to your local US bank location, with your drivers license etc, and provide all of the information in person. The data you've given me doesn't QUITE match up to our records."

At this point I realized I have two more recently added, and I have 4 total A/U's on the card.

So, thats where I'm at now. I'm about to go down to the US Bank near my house, and get this sorted out. I'm the fastest talking guy in the city when I have all the information in my head, but allowed them to get the best of me when I called, unprepared to answer the questions that I should have foreseen would be asked.

I'll keep you guys posted.

The service rep then moved directly onto following questions and asked if I had any other users on my card. I told her I did. She asked for the names. I was caught off guard, and didn't have the names of all of the authorized users at hand immediately.

I was told I'll need to go into a US Bank location and provide all information, for all of the authorized users on my account, in order to lift the hold on my account.

I am pretty darn sure the limit on authorized users for US Bank cards is 2.

That means you have to remove 2 before adding 2.

If you have more than 2 AUs, you will be flagged.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache

That may very well be. However, I haven't been instructed to remove the two initial AU's I added 2/26 and 2/27. Am I to wait for instruction to remove the AUs, or simply wait 90 days?

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
That may very well be. However, I haven't been instructed to remove the two initial AU's I added 2/26 and 2/27. Am I to wait for instruction to remove the AUs, or simply wait 90 days?

I think you're only required to leave them on for 60 days.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Yes, you need to leave them on for two months.

After that, it doesn't hurt to leave them on longer, and could help (show less activity to your bank via adds and quick removals), but you do need to remove them before adding more.

It's unfortunate that wasn't clear.

I just emailed the owner the following.

The portal needs an AU removal date, and it should auto send an email when they can be removed (perhaps with a reminder that it's better to leave them on, for less activity, until they have a new sale).

See this post and the following two why:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/selling-tradelines-piggybacking-part-ii-$1000hr-20-40kyr-side-gig/msg1547779/#msg1547779

Further, a good feature would be not letting someone add the next AU until they've gone in and confirmed they've removed the previous ones. E.g. it should pop up an alert if the new AU will put them over the limit telling them that, and listing the name(s) ready to be removed, so someone doesn't accidentally go over and trigger red flags.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
I asked them,

"What is the limit on US Bank AU's?
I ask this, as I haven't removed any authorized users, and currently have 4 on there.
When am I able to remove the first two that were added in February on the 26th/27th?
Thanks."

This is what I got back from the company.

"There is no limit per say.  We try to keep it to 2 every other month.  With the migration from one system to the next a few of the cardholders have few extra on there cards."

It would appear that I'm one of them. I'm not too worried about it either way, but I'll follow up with the bank, and let you guys know how it goes.

I'm the king of uncomfortable situations, so I am more than happy to go to the bank and just feed them the story they want to hear. It will be interesting if they ask me how I know these people, or why three live in California, and one in Oklahoma. Or...

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
I'm the king of uncomfortable situations

Is this a learned skill, or something you've always had a knack for. I'm asking because I wish uncomfortable situations didn't make me so...uncomfortable.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
I'm the king of uncomfortable situations

Is this a learned skill, or something you've always had a knack for. I'm asking because I wish uncomfortable situations didn't make me so...uncomfortable.

I'd have to say it's a skill I believe I've grown up with, but have nurtured over the years as well. It was quite common in the past for others to remark how uncomfortable a situation was, while I simply didn't recognize it as such. Now, I've come to the ability to recognize uncomfortable situations, and either defuse them, or rise to the occasion and remain completely unperturbed. However, it's still common for the people around me to be nervous or feel awkward.

That being said, many of the social "norms" that a majority of people worry about, don't phase me whatsoever. Lending a strength to my title as King of Uncomfortable Situations.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache

Contact the company.

On my cards, I'm darn sure not adding more AUs over the expected limit without removing the prior ones.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache

Contact the company.

On my cards, I'm darn sure not adding more AUs over the expected limit without removing the prior ones.

I have. As I've already added a couple extra AUs more than I should have, I'm in a precarious situation. As it stands, my account has been flagged, so I have to go to the bank and discuss it with them. Now, if I go ahead and remove two of the AUs immediately, it might gain more attention. So, I've requested that the company put my US Bank card on hold for a couple months, and I'll remove the AU's slowly.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache

Contact the company.

I have. As I've already added a couple extra AUs more than I should have, I'm in a precarious situation. As it stands, my account has been flagged, so I have to go to the bank and discuss it with them. Now, if I go ahead and remove two of the AUs immediately, it might gain more attention. So, I've requested that the company put my US Bank card on hold for a couple months, and I'll remove the AU's slowly.

If you are removing AUs, I would go ahead and remove both of the old AUs at the same time.

After being thrown to the fraud department on my US Bank, I had it taken off the available list for a few cycles (at OldCompany) and have it limited to 1 AU at this point.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache

Contact the company.

If you are removing AUs, I would go ahead and remove both of the old AUs at the same time.

After being thrown to the fraud department on my US Bank, I had it taken off the available list for a few cycles (at OldCompany) and have it limited to 1 AU at this point.

This is good advice. I'll probably follow that strategy as well. Thanks for that.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Hey rebs,

Now that you're starting your own TL company, is the current company your competition? Is it weird to give them ideas for improving their processes, know that if you do it better than them you would have a competitive advantage?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Now that you're starting your own TL company, is the current company your competition?

Nah, I have an abundance mindset, not scarcity.  Served me very well in real estate (and life in general), and I think it'll do the same here.

The number of people who want to improve their credit is enormous. There's way more than enough clients out there for all the tradeline companies that exist, and then some.  I don't worry about competition, because if I build a good offering, it'll be effective, and they can be effective as well. There will be situations where you trade ideas, or improve each other, and not at the detriment of either of you, but to the benefit of both.

I still am recommending people to the tradeline company (sent someone their way today, actually) and have no plans to stop that.

Is it weird to give them ideas for improving their processes, know that if you do it better than them you would have a competitive advantage?

Nope. I'd rather they have as good of a product as possible. I'll continue to send them any ideas I can to help them improve as well. I also have recommended a lot of Mustachians to their service, and want to see them have a good experience as well, based on my recommendation.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
I visited a US Bank branch inside a local grocery store.

Step one: Go to a small branch that will likely never see these issues.
Step two: Deal with an amateur.
Step three: Feign complete indifference.
Step four: Tell the bank employee what happened, and why, and let him/her argue on your behalf.

I waited in a chair for 10 minutes while the bank employee was either on hold, or talking to the person on the other line. I didn't hear anything they spoke about. They only asked me two simple questions. 1) "How many users, including yourself, are currently on the account?"  and 2) "What is a good number to reach you at?" Both answers checked out, and I was good to go, with the bank employee telling me that my card had been cleared.

So... Pretty uneventful.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Well done!  Thanks for the update.

Got a message back from the owner that he's contacting the developer about making the "when to remove AU" thing much clearer in the portal.

Annoying when issues like this crop up, but they're inevitable when a new system is in place, as it gets tweaked to be better/more clear. I'm glad you were able to handle it.  :)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
I visited a US Bank branch inside a local grocery store.

Step one: Go to a small branch that will likely never see these issues.
Step two: Deal with an amateur.
Step three: Feign complete indifference.
Step four: Tell the bank employee what happened, and why, and let him/her argue on your behalf.

I waited in a chair for 10 minutes while the bank employee was either on hold, or talking to the person on the other line. I didn't hear anything they spoke about. They only asked me two simple questions. 1) "How many users, including yourself, are currently on the account?"  and 2) "What is a good number to reach you at?" Both answers checked out, and I was good to go, with the bank employee telling me that my card had been cleared.

So... Pretty uneventful.

I think the social engineering aspect of this (and of life in general - it applies there as well) is really underrated and underappreciated.  If one panics or apologizes or makes any number of other mistakes with the wrong person or the wrong time, it can very adversely affect the outcome.  Alternatively, a cool customer who has a strategy and plays his cards right, as above, can succeed where others fail.

As very basic strategies, HUACA and feigning innocence/indifference can get you pretty far.  And the other ideas are out there if you google for them and read forums.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
As very basic strategies, HUACA* and feigning innocence/indifference can get you pretty far.

*Hang up and call again.

(To save other people the Googling I just did.)

(+1 to the whole post, also.)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Now that you're starting your own TL company, is the current company your competition?

Nah, I have an abundance mindset, not scarcity.  Served me very well in real estate (and life in general), and I think it'll do the same here.

The number of people who want to improve their credit is enormous. There's way more than enough clients out there for all the tradeline companies that exist, and then some.  I don't worry about competition, because if I build a good offering, it'll be effective, and they can be effective as well. There will be situations where you trade ideas, or improve each other, and not at the detriment of either of you, but to the benefit of both.

Sounds like a good way to go. I'll work on that. In general.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
My second capital one card was returned to sender. I just received the email today from Capital One saying it was returned to them and to call to update my address. The damn post office is going to screw this gig up for me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
My second capital one card was returned to sender. I just received the email today from Capital One saying it was returned to them and to call to update my address. The damn post office is going to screw this gig up for me.

Just ignore it.  Almost all my cards get sent back from multiple different issuers, including Cap1.  Never had an issue with it.

You only need to call if you actually wanted to receive the card, but who cares?  :)

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Just ignore it.  Almost all my cards get sent back from multiple different issuers, including Cap1.  Never had an issue with it.

You only need to call if you actually wanted to receive the card, but who cares?  :)

Not True! I believed that too after posting here and seeing a similar response but it did create issues.I have posted a couple of weeks back about my experience with Citi.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

Not True! I believed that too after posting here and seeing a similar response but it did create issues.I have posted a couple of weeks back about my experience with Citi.

I thought I remembered that they just put a temporary security hold on the card, and you just called and got it removed.

I haven't even had to do that, but even that doesn't seem like a huge deal, to me.

/shrug

Joel

• Pencil Stache

That was my plan for this card. We will see how that plays out. The good news is that we will be moving in the next few months, so I'm not too worried about this being a long-term issue.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Thank you for the post ARS!