Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 1901589 times)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking Part II: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #1000 on: April 04, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »
Probably too late to help, secondcor521, but let us know what you ended up doing.  :)
I'll call in tomorrow or Monday and try to add the last AU.  If that doesn't work I'll email the new company and have them move the sale to a different card.

Called in yesterday to try again to add the last AU.  The CSR got some sort of error message and gave what I think was a BS explanation.  Emailed the new company and they moved the sale to another card.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #1001 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »
Signed up at the New Year with the new company,via email then updated on new web portal. All cards are around 20 years old, limits over 20k, credit score a hair under 800. Still no adds. :(

My wife however, has 2 AU's on her Capital one, today while she was at work we got a call on house phone from someone looking for " Mr John Doe ( he used his real name) who is her most recent add. I said that was my wife's business, but that John Doe could not be reached at this number. The guy was cordial and didn't want to say what this was about when I asked him. The caller ID said "Portfolio Recovery".
Anyone had this experience?

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1002 on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:10 PM »
Three. I had two on there still from January and they just sent me an add for the last one a couple weeks ago.

I still have an AU on my Capital One that I added in January.  I noticed Cap One has redesigned their statement.  It now shows the AU's name, last four digits of their card and any purchases- so it shows no purchases made by my AU.  I wonder if no purchases made by AU will be a red flag.  I was keeping the AU on until I am instructed to remove him.  I read it looks less suspicious to keep the AU on if you can.  I wonder if I should be making some purchases with AU card as someone else has suggested.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1003 on: April 05, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »
Signed up at the New Year with the new company,via email then updated on new web portal. All cards are around 20 years old, limits over 20k, credit score a hair under 800. Still no adds. :(

My wife however, has 2 AU's on her Capital one, today while she was at work we got a call on house phone from someone looking for " Mr John Doe ( he used his real name) who is her most recent add. I said that was my wife's business, but that John Doe could not be reached at this number. The guy was cordial and didn't want to say what this was about when I asked him. The caller ID said "Portfolio Recovery".

Yikes.

You know, for $400 a tradeline, the risk of getting interfangulated with AU credit reports was kinda worth it. For $225? I dunno. I think I'm going to put it on hold for a while.

Of course I go through this cycle often. I find some reason to pause for a while, then the two months are up on old AUs, 2 new spots come in, and it's really hard to turn down the $450 (2x$225) for 5 minutes of work. So we'll see when May 29 rolls around.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1004 on: April 05, 2017, 05:20:12 AM »

Yep I still firmly believe they are so inundated with cards that they can't possibly give adds to everyone on a consistent basis. I got a couple adds immediately at the beginning of January and one in February and haven't heard a single peep out of the company since. The ones in January are still on there as I can't get a response if it's ok to remove them. I had to contact them to urge payment for January and I've received no payment for February. It was nice getting a little bit of money but I don't have a warm fuzzy anymore.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: April 05, 2017, 08:43:50 AM »
I have a question about procedure.  I do have a cap one card that I plan to add.  Is there a way to put a card on hold on the website?  Or would I need to call in for that.  My thoughts are that I'd get one AU and then ask that no further AUs be added for a while.  Make purchases under the AU's card for maybe 6 months.  Drop that AU and then open the card back up.  Sounds ultra conservative, but I would think that it would make things far less likely to look suspicious. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1006 on: April 05, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
I have a question about procedure.  I do have a cap one card that I plan to add.  Is there a way to put a card on hold on the website?  Or would I need to call in for that.  My thoughts are that I'd get one AU and then ask that no further AUs be added for a while.  Make purchases under the AU's card for maybe 6 months.  Drop that AU and then open the card back up.  Sounds ultra conservative, but I would think that it would make things far less likely to look suspicious.

You can request number of AUs and probably frequency if you want.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: April 05, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »

Why would you make purchases under the AU's card? In addition, how are you going to show an ID to the cashier with this other person's name on it?

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1008 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
Why would you make purchases under the AU's card? In addition, how are you going to show an ID to the cashier with this other person's name on it?

I can't remember the last time I've been asked for ID when paying with a card. It has been years.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1009 on: April 05, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »

I can't remember the last time I've been asked for ID when paying with a card. It has been years.

Especially not in the self checkout lane!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1010 on: April 05, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

Especially not in the self checkout lane!

Or online purchases.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: April 05, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »

Making purchases gives "cred" to the AU being legit.  I've shown my id 3 times in the last year when buying with a credit card.  All have been at stop and shop to buy $500 Visa gift cards after they were ripped off big time.  I'd plan to only put a few hundred dollars on it.  Easy enough to do at gas stations and supermarket self checkouts.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: April 05, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
I've been selling tradelines for over a year now.  Originally I was working with the brokers you guys use, but several months ago branched out on my own because I think it''s ridiculous how little commission they pay versus what they charge their customers.

Regarding Cap1 I too have had my account restricted a couple weeks ago.  They are asking for for SS and ID's (and proof of residency for myself)  of all AU's currently on the card.  Will report back after I provide this and let you know if I get shut down.  Really hoping not to, it's my oldest card at over 10 years old with a 11k limit.

It's too bad there isn't some kind of automated software or website that simply will connect those that wish to purchase a tradeline to those that want to sell one. It would be somehow automated with its own wiki, and online forum.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1013 on: April 05, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »
I've been selling tradelines for over a year now.  Originally I was working with the brokers you guys use, but several months ago branched out on my own because I think it''s ridiculous how little commission they pay versus what they charge their customers.

Regarding Cap1 I too have had my account restricted a couple weeks ago.  They are asking for for SS and ID's (and proof of residency for myself)  of all AU's currently on the card.  Will report back after I provide this and let you know if I get shut down.  Really hoping not to, it's my oldest card at over 10 years old with a 11k limit.

Interesting - how are you finding customers?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1014 on: April 05, 2017, 07:20:52 PM »
Had my first Discover sale today. I didn't have any trouble entering the address on Discover's site.

Nice!

Data point:

I logged into my Capital One account and noticed it was restricted. I called to see what was going on, and they are requesting documentation for my AUs. They need copies of their drivers licenses or state ID, front and back. I emailed the guy from the TL company, hoping he can help a fella out. Anyone else have this experience? Am I about to get this account shut down?

Sucks.  =/  Keep us in the loop when you submit all the docs.

Wow that's frustrating, it takes years to get a good card that the tradeline companies can use.

If starting from zero, yes.  But I think most of us have a bunch sitting around doing nothing.

I've had this happen twice now.  For some reason Discover's website really doesn't like some valid addresses.

I just call, tell them I want to add an Authorized User, and give them all the same info.  Took all of 2 minutes.

Yeah, a hassle, but luckily a short one.

No.  I'd just block the number.

I don't think there's any way to tie my phone to my address anyways, so I can't see something like that happening, but if it did, no big deal, tell them no one there by that name, please take my number off your list, hang up, block number.

I still have an AU on my Capital One that I added in January.  I noticed Cap One has redesigned their statement.  It now shows the AU's name, last four digits of their card and any purchases- so it shows no purchases made by my AU.  I wonder if no purchases made by AU will be a red flag.  I was keeping the AU on until I am instructed to remove him.  I read it looks less suspicious to keep the AU on if you can.  I wonder if I should be making some purchases with AU card as someone else has suggested.

I've never bothered.  I don't think this is something they check.

Yikes.

You know, for $400 a tradeline, the risk of getting interfangulated with AU credit reports was kinda worth it. For $225? I dunno. I think I'm going to put it on hold for a while.

Of course I go through this cycle often. I find some reason to pause for a while, then the two months are up on old AUs, 2 new spots come in, and it's really hard to turn down the $450 (2x$225) for 5 minutes of work. So we'll see when May 29 rolls around.

haha, yeah, you do seem to go through this a lot whenever a negative pops up.

I totally understand.

My logic every time is:
1) This is the first time it's been reported.  Out of dozens and dozens of mustachians selling many lines.  Hundreds and hundreds of lines, and it's now happened... once?  Odds that it does happen to me seem to be well under 1%.
2) Even if it DID happen, the hassle of getting a two minute call where you say you don't know them, then block the number is worth the payout.

So likely the negative thing won't happen, and if it does, it's not that negative.  I'm okay with the 1% chance I have a two minute annoyance in the future.  :)

Yep I still firmly believe they are so inundated with cards that they can't possibly give adds to everyone on a consistent basis. I got a couple adds immediately at the beginning of January and one in February and haven't heard a single peep out of the company since. The ones in January are still on there as I can't get a response if it's ok to remove them. I had to contact them to urge payment for January and I've received no payment for February. It was nice getting a little bit of money but I don't have a warm fuzzy anymore.

As soon as I read this today, I contacted them.  I will make sure this is fixed ASAP. Like you said, growing pains, but you adding the AUs, but not getting timely payment isn't acceptable.

You can email or call to put it on hold, or ask that they just do one line, or only do a sale every six months (they can do this by making the card unavailable and blocked out for certain months).

I'm not, I'll take whatever sales I get, within the limits.  :)

It's too bad there isn't some kind of automated software or website that simply will connect those that wish to purchase a tradeline to those that want to sell one. It would be somehow automated with its own wiki, and online forum.

That would be great.

Unfortunately, the liability is such that I'd rather have a middle man, even if it means less profit.  Regulatory compliance, potential fraud, etc.  I'd rather not personally be adding an individual I "know" and have had contact with who then potentially commits fraud.  It puts more of the onus on you, IMO.  Not to mention dealing with safely and securely storing vital information to prove the compliance if an audit is done later.

It's a good idea, to directly sell them, in terms of making money, but makes me leery for other reasons.

On the other hand, I'd love to see a Mustachian start a TL company.  If you do it right, it can make a lot, and there's room to get a lot of Mustachian cardholders.  However, it is a lot of work up front, setting up the systems, growing to find AUs, etc. 

I'll absolutely take the $1000/hour and make 20k by "working" about 20 MINUTES/week, rather than taking making 2MM+ but having to work (actual effort) for 50 HOUR weeks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1015 on: April 05, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »
Heard from the owner about the late payments.

Good news: Most of the Feb payments either had already been paid, or went out last week.  Can anyone confirm they received Feb payments already?

There are a handful still pending, but they should go out tonight and tomorrow.

If you are not paid by end of day Thursday the 6th for a February add, PM me with the email address you signed up with, and I will make sure the payment is made ASAP.

The future will be easier, with the portal up, it will become automated (not sure about this first month, but within a few months), rather than manual.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: April 05, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
Yes today I got an email from owner saying payment for Feb. add is coming.

In my email back I suggested he might want to organize a conference/meeting with all of us mustachians just to meet all the staff and maybe talk about things and ideas. Although maybe it's not practical.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1017 on: April 05, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
How do you know if the authorized user posted correctly? Is it when you receive payment? Or is there some type of confirmation that you will be made aware of before being paid?

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1018 on: April 05, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
How do you know if the authorized user posted correctly? Is it when you receive payment? Or is there some type of confirmation that you will be made aware of before being paid?

Does the fact that there is "Posted" date in the portal mean that the account posted correctly and I will be paid?

KT's Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1019 on: April 05, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »

Good news: Most of the Feb payments either had already been paid, or went out last week.  Can anyone confirm they received Feb payments already?

If you are not paid by end of day Thursday the 6th for a February add, PM me with the email address you signed up with, and I will make sure the payment is made ASAP.

The future will be easier, with the portal up, it will become automated (not sure about this first month, but within a few months), rather than manual.

I just received an email and payment for all of my adds that I did Feb 4-7th.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1020 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »
I also was just paid today for two late January AUs.

Everyone working with these guys should have received a pretty lengthy email with some details about the process going forward. Looks like things are getting sorted.

They also mentioned they are preferentially selling AUs to card holders that have been with the company the longest so that would explain some of the inconsistencies.  Here is that part of the email:

"Due to the influx of cardholders we are accommodating those who signed up with us first. Please continue to be patient.  The industry as a whole has seen an increase in supply of cardholders while demand has been stable.  I am seeing an increase in our business so I hope everyone will see more orders coming there way soon."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: April 06, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
I log in on the website for the card - the card issuers website.

Does the fact that there is "Posted" date in the portal mean that the account posted correctly and I will be paid?
Things on the TL Co's web-portal can't be taken literally. Without knowing where you're seeing that, I can't even guess what it means.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: April 06, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
It says in the email, " In the meantime, please enable SMS texts messages in your profile in the new database and you will be notified about activity on your accounts via text"

Is that just simply the check mark on the Profile that says "   Receive Important (SMS) Text alerts"  ?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: April 06, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »

That doesn't mean it posted correctly.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: April 06, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
Got my first AU (yay!).  Rush order with 3 emails asking if I could add by the 9th.  Added within a couple hours.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »

Exactly. Is there any confirmation from the company that the authorized user posted correctly? Other than the payment (that may be weeks late)?

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1026 on: April 06, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »

Exactly. Is there any confirmation from the company that the authorized user posted correctly? Other than the payment (that may be weeks late)?
Opps, I forgot a step.  Log into the card issuers website and then...  check the card.  The AU will be in there (somewhere) if it was 'posted correctly' to the card.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: April 06, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
Just took that step and my AU is under "manage my account" section.  Only a few hours after adding, it's there and ready.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
I believe the original question was in regards to posting to the AU's credit report.  The TL co will have to tell you.  You cannot determine on your own (you have to see the AU's credit report).  The web site may show that somewhere.  I'm too new to the new company to know.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1029 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »

Opps, I forgot a step.  Log into the card issuers website and then...  check the card.  The AU will be in there (somewhere) if it was 'posted correctly' to the card.

You aren't understanding what I'm asking. Just because your credit card adds the authorized user does not necessarily mean the card will post to the authorized user's credit report. If it does not post to the authorized user's credit report, you will not get paid. 

I've attached a screenshot of the company's portal under the My Cards tab. What I'm hoping to confirm is the following:

To C.H. = The date the company notified me to add the authorized user
Added to Card = The date I added the authorized user to the account
Posted = The date the  company confirmed the credit card was posted to the authorized user's credit report (Am I correct in this assumption?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1030 on: April 07, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
You aren't understanding what I'm asking. Just because your credit card adds the authorized user does not necessarily mean the card will post to the authorized user's credit report. If it does not post to the authorized user's credit report, you will not get paid. 

No I don't think the company ever confirms to us whether or not the credit report of the authorized user includes the tradeline. The company just tells us when it doesn't post, and then we don't get paid.

If you do all the steps to make sure it posts, then it should post.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #1031 on: April 07, 2017, 08:25:27 AM »
I am still waiting for my first sale.  I was one of the later manual enrollees (that never got put into the system) shortly before the portal was opened and didn't officially start until I enrolled in the portal in mid February.

Anyhow, I've been observing some of the account closures and difficulties others have been relaying in this thread.  I have a thought: could some of the closures be due to an extended period of inactivity prior to taking part in this system?

Ie:
- Person has an old credit card that has been sitting idle for years
- Person inputs that old card into the trade-line system
- Person gets multiple sales from company, and proceeds with adding them
- Person uses card to make a few purchases
- Person removes the sales a few months later
- Rinse/repeat

It'd be trivial for a CC company to have a query to see if there are any accounts that have been sitting idle for many months or years and then all of a sudden it gets multiple auth users added.  Also, it'd be the same triviality to query for usage after auth users have been removed.

I suspect maybe we should "weather" some of our more aged and unused cards for a number of months (if not a year) prior to enrolling them in this system.  By that, I mean use the card for regular purchases so it doesn't appear to just be sitting idle for a long time then BAM, multiple auth users and small usage.

I'm going to test this because I have a very old card with a small limit that the CC co wouldn't allow an increase to its limit due to inactivity.  I'm also going to continue to consistently use my cards even when they're not getting any sales.  I've got them spread out between multiple bills, etc.

I'm sure this isn't that big of a deal and probably overly cautious, but I'd imagine the CC companies that are cracking down would have processes to find these types of usage.  Just a thought...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:09:54 AM by sw1tch »

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: April 07, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
My first add was for my capital one card. It occurred mid-March. I never received the credit card in the mail and I just got an email from capital one today.

"We are unable to deliver your new credit card. To help us get it to you as soon as possible, give us a call to update your mailing address."

I have a feeling our post office person refused to deliver the mail here because it didn't have our last name.

Given the recent issues with Capital One, I'm a bit concerned about this...

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1033 on: April 07, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
@sw1tch, I like your idea of being more careful.  Everyone should participate or not to the level of their own comfort.

I would say, though, that if the CC companies want to catch piggybackers, I think they'd just query on those of us who have lots of adds and removes of AUs.  I would imagine that the typical non-piggybacking customer would maybe add no more than one or two AUs, they'd probably be their own kids, and they'd probably leave them on for years at a time.  Piggybackers are going to be adding and removing maybe five or ten AUs within a year.  If they're trying to catch us, I doubt they would look at usage at all.

If you want to be conservative, I would suggest instead limiting the number of adds you do per card per year.  Ironically, one way to be "safer" in this respect would be to have lots of cards enrolled with the TL company, because the same number of sales spread over more cards means less activity per card.  If I get 40 AU sales this year and they're all on one card, that card is going to get noticed.  40 AU sales over 20 cards and I maybe skate by.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1034 on: April 07, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
@sw1tch, I like your idea of being more careful.  Everyone should participate or not to the level of their own comfort.

I would say, though, that if the CC companies want to catch piggybackers, I think they'd just query on those of us who have lots of adds and removes of AUs.  I would imagine that the typical non-piggybacking customer would maybe add no more than one or two AUs, they'd probably be their own kids, and they'd probably leave them on for years at a time.  Piggybackers are going to be adding and removing maybe five or ten AUs within a year.  If they're trying to catch us, I doubt they would look at usage at all.

If you want to be conservative, I would suggest instead limiting the number of adds you do per card per year.  Ironically, one way to be "safer" in this respect would be to have lots of cards enrolled with the TL company, because the same number of sales spread over more cards means less activity per card.  If I get 40 AU sales this year and they're all on one card, that card is going to get noticed.  40 AU sales over 20 cards and I maybe skate by.

I agree with you that it would be pretty easy for the credit card companies to just query the number of authorized users a card has had to identify someone participating in this piggybacking business. If it's something that is on their radar, it would be pretty easy to monitor. Hell a good internal audit group could help setup continuous monitoring controls that alerts you when someone has cycled through more than 2-3 authorized users in say a 12-month timeframe. That would be enough in my mind to make me wonder.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #1035 on: April 07, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »

Thanks for this response; that's very true and I will consider that going forward.

I suppose now that I think of it, my concern revolved around coming in as a first-timer and some of the considerations that I might need to take in regards to my long-time cards that haven't had any recent usage (ex: the one I mentioned before with a low limit hadn't been used in about 10 years - I could see that setting off a red flag if I started adding a bunch of AU's immediately as well as other activity).  I suspect some of the account closures may be tied to this.

Of course, this is just a theory and could be proved wrong with other's experiences.  For those whose accounts have been closed, can you let us know how much usage you had with the cards prior to adding AU's?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:20:43 PM by sw1tch »

Financial Fanatic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1036 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »

sent you a PM so that i can be apart of this :)  i apologize if you are receiving duplicate messages, i am new here and unsure if my messages are going through because i am not seeing any confirmation. 

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #1037 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
So i will say, this whole thread has been really helpful for me in terms of reading about everyone's experiences.  I signed up back in January and hadn't gotten any sales, but after reading about folks' various issues over the weeks i went ahead today and asked the company to remove my cards from the program. I guess I decided that this all felt a little more risky than what I am ultimately comfortable with.  But, hey, less supply so hopefully that helps other folks here! 

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate folks here sharing their experiences and results.   

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1038 on: April 08, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »
I am working through 4 adds for Citibank today, and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue I am... the first line reps are not able to add AU for me, and are having to send me to the fraud department, who happily completes the add for me - seems maybe my account is red flagged, but maybe it's a new policy across the board?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1039 on: April 08, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »
I am working through 4 adds for Citibank today, and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue I am... the first line reps are not able to add AU for me, and are having to send me to the fraud department, who happily completes the add for me - seems maybe my account is red flagged, but maybe it's a new policy across the board?

If all four adds are to the same card, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do them in a single phone call.  If they're for the same card and you're adding them one per call, the second (or third) rep may have flagged your account because doing that looks suspicious to them.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1040 on: April 09, 2017, 08:29:40 AM »
Yeah, this was a popular card, too - $12k limit opened in 2004... :(

What kind of usage have you been putting on the card? I have maintained some low usage on all my cards every month since December.

PennySaved75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1041 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »
I just got an AU card mailed to me from Discover.  The envelope was addressed using my name- I like that so it raises no questions with the postal delivery person.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1042 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:37 AM »
Yeah, this was a popular card, too - $12k limit opened in 2004... :(

What kind of usage have you been putting on the card? I have maintained some low usage on all my cards every month since December.

Just nominal purchases to ensure there was a balance - usually under $10.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
I put a couple gallons of gas in my car or motorcycle.  Or $5-$15 dollars of grocery items (I track prices at diff. stores so I'm regularly going to multiple stores for a few things at a time).  Some people buy Amazon gift cards - online so they don't have to leave the house.  If I had to buy 'something' ASAP, I'd renew my cellphone account.

charuhans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1044 on: April 10, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »
I received an email from support that there is a new order for my card (card #) and that I should login and go to "My Tasks" to see the instructions to complete the add. But there is nothing on the "My Tasks" screen, nor on the individual card screen; its showing that all months are available. Is there a time lag between the email and the screen update?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1045 on: April 10, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
Well it took a few days and a second email, but they got back to me with the apartment #.  Apparently this was just a data entry error on their part.  Discover accepted the address with apartment number and it was sent out prior to my closing date.  Hopefully it posts to their report this time around.

As far as I can tell, they don't give you a hard deadline to add the AU.  When I got the notification on 4/3 it said not to add until 4/3 but didn't give me a date after which I should just give up.  Presumably these customers have a time sensitive issue and need the account to show up ASAP and wouldn't want to wait another month right?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1046 on: April 10, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
Presumably these customers have a time sensitive issue and need the account to show up ASAP and wouldn't want to wait another month right?

Maybe?  My wife and I have been talking about what could possible motivate a person to become a customer of a company like this.  Like what's so important that they're willing to pay hundreds of dollars to temporarily raise their credit score?

People preparing to make major purchases like houses, cars, boats, and RVs.  That's the obvious one, I guess, if you're applying for a loan and the terms are going to depend on your creditworthiness.  But it would have to be a pretty damned big loan to make this cost effective.  These people are hoping to spend money now in order to save money (on interest) later.

Renters who are filling out new rental applications with landlords who run credit checks.  They're hoping to get a place to live, not save money on loan interest.

People who are consolidating outstanding debt, like refinancing student loans, merging credit balances, or undergoing a bankruptcy or separation of assets due to divorce.  These folks can potentially save tens of thousands of dollars by qualifying for better loan terms, so I suspect lots of our tradeline customers are in this boat.  Some of them may even be paying lawyers to buy the tradelines for them, and may personally have no knowledge of what this company does.

People applying for security clearances or other background-check heavy jobs that require a review of your credit history.  Depending on the depth of the review, these may look at your credit history more than you current score and a recent bump may be less helpful.  These people are hoping to get a job, and the income it will bring.

People who are churning credit cards for the sign up bonuses.  If there are a couple of $500 sign up bonuses for cards that requires a higher score than you currently have, it might make sense to pay a few hundred up front in order to qualify.  These people are hoping to pay now to make money later.  Some of them might even by forum members!

People dating mustachians or other financially savvy individuals, who are ashamed of their past mistakes and fear being judged for being a 610.  This person (surely there can't be more than one in the world) is hoping to salvage a vulnerable romantic relationship by covering up their past mistakes.

People shopping around for car insurance.  Lots of insurance companies are open about telling you that you get a better rate if you have better credit, so maybe they're trying to qualify for the "responsible credit card user" discount at Geico.

In any case, the add deadline for some of these groups could be months away.  I suspect that not everyone who coughs up $600 to be an AU on your card is really buying a new SUV next week and needs the bump by Friday, which is kind of what I was originally thinking was happening here.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #1047 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
As far as I can tell, they don't give you a hard deadline to add the AU.  When I got the notification on 4/3 it said not to add until 4/3 but didn't give me a date after which I should just give up.  Presumably these customers have a time sensitive issue and need the account to show up ASAP and wouldn't want to wait another month right?

They have always given me a deadline to add the AU.  The pattern has always been that they send the email a day or two before my statement due date and strongly request me to add the AU by the statement due date.  But from conversations I have had with them, the actual deadline is the statement close date (which is usually 3-6 days after statement due date) - the TL company uses the statement due date to allow for some buffer.

So on your card that you got this sale on, you probably have a statement due date of like 4/5 and a statement close date of between 4/8 and 4/11, and I would personally try to add them by 4/5.  Sometimes I have, after discussion with the TL company, added the AU after the due date and before the close date and everything worked out fine.  But I always discuss the situation with the TL company if I can't meet their requested add date.

I am not sure why customers buy these services, but I can't imagine any case where a customer would pay the company and then be OK with waiting a month for their credit to be boosted vs. having it boosted within about a week.  Although I suspect that the company shares that information with the customer when picking a TL to sell them:  "OK, Mr. So-And-So, we have a $25K 5 year old Mastercard that closes in three days, or a $35K 7 year old Visa that closes in 6 days, which would you prefer?" kind of thing.  Some customers may be in a hurry, some may be more interested in a larger credit boost.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:53 AM »

I am not sure why customers buy these services, but I can't imagine any case where a customer would pay the company and then be OK with waiting a month for their credit to be boosted vs. having it boosted within about a week.

Probably this ^. I am sure it's a selling feature the tradeline company uses to lure customers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1049 on: April 11, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »

They have always given me a deadline to add the AU.  The pattern has always been that they send the email a day or two before my statement due date and strongly request me to add the AU by the statement due date.  But from conversations I have had with them, the actual deadline is the statement close date (which is usually 3-6 days after statement due date) - the TL company uses the statement due date to allow for some buffer.

So on your card that you got this sale on, you probably have a statement due date of like 4/5 and a statement close date of between 4/8 and 4/11, and I would personally try to add them by 4/5.  Sometimes I have, after discussion with the TL company, added the AU after the due date and before the close date and everything worked out fine.  But I always discuss the situation with the TL company if I can't meet their requested add date.

In this case, they sent me the request on the day of closing, and asked that I add that day or three days prior.  Since they didn't include the correct address, I couldn't do it.  Two days later, when they replied to my query, they didn't say "it's too late" so I completed the add.  Hope it works out.  Yes it was still before the closing date.

But now looking at the dashboard it says that the order was received two weeks earlier.  I guess it took them a couple weeks to do the data entry (incorrectly). Gotta say I'm not super impressed so far, but if I end up getting paid I guess money is money.