Author Topic: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $1000+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig  (Read 206025 times)

AM43

• Stubble
Re: Selling Tradelines / Piggybacking: $600+/hr, 20-40k/yr. Side Gig
« Reply #550 on: October 11, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
Very interested.
Please post updates if you find companies to recommend.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #551 on: October 11, 2016, 07:32:09 AM »
Very interested.
Please post updates if you find companies to recommend.

Definitely will do!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #552 on: October 14, 2016, 04:17:53 PM »
OK, I am having trouble deciding and want input from folks here.

I have three US Bank credit cards, all of which have been open about a year:

1.  Flexperks Visa, CL $25K, annual fee $49.
2.  Flexperks AMEX, CL $25K, annual fee $49.
3.  Club Carlson Visa, CL $58K, annual fee $75, 40K bonus points upon renewal.

Options include:

A.  Keep the cards open, pay the annual fee, enroll them with the piggybacking company about a year from now.  Assumes piggybacking still works and I get orders.
B.  Close the cards and avoid the annual fee.
C.  Consolidate the cards to minimize annual fees.

I do plan to apply for a bunch of new cards in about a month to get a bunch of signup bonuses, including versions of these cards - i.e., I hope to churn the signup bonuses.  No guarantee I would get new cards from USBank though, and also may not get the signup bonus if they disqualify me for churning.

I don't need the cards; I have others.  The only reason to keep them open would be for piggybacking opportunities and the 40K renewal points.  And possibly as a source of credit line if I do apply for new USBank cards (i.e., have them shift CL from the existing cards to the new cards).  But I'd rather not do this; it's hard to come up with a story where they would approve a new Club Carlson card and shift CL from an existing Club Carlson card.

The annual fee isn't a big deal; I can certainly afford to pay it.  But of course I don't like to pay them if I don't have to.

US Bank seems to not understand the idea of consolidating cards and shifting credit limits around.  I've had difficulty trying to get them to do these things for me.

So:

1.  What would you do in my shoes?
2.  Any success tips for waiving the AF at USBank?
3.  Any input on whether the Flexperks and/or Club Carlson bonuses are churnable?
4.  For those who have USBank cards enrolled in the piggybacking program...can adding CLs and removing CLs be done online or is it over the phone.  I prefer online.
5.  Will USBank AMEX cards work?  I know true AMEX cards won't, but I thought USBank AMEX might.

Thanks in advance for any input.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #553 on: October 14, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
With those limits, you'd more than make up the annual fee by adding one person to your card.  I'd keep them open.

The danger is that US Bank cards will stop working for this in the meantime, but I think I'd take that chance with those cards.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #554 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:44 PM »
That's a tough call.  I'm not personally opening new cards hoping it lasts two more years (and hope I won't be kicking myself in two years for what), but I might keep it if there was only a year left.  I'd probably try to combine credit on them and just keep one, but you said they were being pains about that.

Given the limits, I'd personally probably take the gamble right now, and risk the $150.  If it's still available, and I think there's a decent chance it will be, a single order more than pays for that.  The fees are small, too.  Not like $450 ones.  Worth paying it to see, in terms of expected value (EV), IMO.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #555 on: October 15, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »
That's a tough call.  I'm not personally opening new cards hoping it lasts two more years (and hope I won't be kicking myself in two years for what), but I might keep it if there was only a year left.  I'd probably try to combine credit on them and just keep one, but you said they were being pains about that.

I'm not opening new cards for this, I'm opening new cards for the churn bonuses!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #556 on: October 15, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

I'm not opening new cards for this, I'm opening new cards for the churn bonuses!

Likewise.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #557 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »

Likewise.

I posted a pretty brutal one in the CSR thread (on a percentage basis, not raw $ total)

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #558 on: October 15, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »

Likewise.

I posted a pretty brutal one in the CSR thread (on a percentage basis, not raw $ total)

Right.  I generally open cards for the churn bonuses too; in fact, these three USBank cards that I'm asking about were opened for churn bonuses a year ago.  I'm about to try to open a bunch more for churn bonuses in about a month or so.

I have churn bonus offers for these same cards that are already open that I could apply for again.  But I strongly suspect that I would not be approved if I kept the existing cards open - most people who churn bonuses seem to close the old card before trying to get the bonus again.

But closing these cards to get the bonus again resets the clock on them means I would not reach the 2 year mark to be able to piggyback.  So the question is which is the better use of these cards - as piggybackers or as get-out-of-the-way-of-churning-bonus-ers?

Piggybacking is clearly more lucrative as long as (1) the AF isn't too high, (2) the whole opportunity exists, (3) the cards continue to be usable by the piggybacking company, and (4) if I receive orders on the cards.

Bonusing is lucrative if (1) I can get the cards, (2) I am not disqualified for the bonus (i.e., they are churnable), (3) I can MS to get the bonuses.

In the case of these cards, they are all about a year old, so I would have to pay the $49+$49+$75 = $173 now and again next November, for a total of $346 in fees paid.  I would receive 80K in Club Carlson points; not sure how much I value those.  At that point I could, as long as the program still exists, enroll them as piggybackers, and could probably get orders in tax season spring 2018.

Huh, just looked up what Club Carlson points are supposedly "worth", and a blog post puts them at 0.4 cents per point, which would be 32,000 cents, or $320.  Not sure I believe that, especially since the AF on that card would only net USBank $150 from me.

Still curious if anyone knows if USBank card AUs can be added online or only by phone.

I'm leaning towards keeping them and trying to get the AF waived or reduced.

P.S. - The $450 CSR is on my list for my next set of applications, as are a number of other Chase cards, but I am probably disqualified by 5/24 on many of them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:35:03 AM by secondcor521 »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: October 17, 2016, 09:45:11 AM »
Has anyone had success with Chase cards?

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #560 on: October 17, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »

Are you referring to adding Chase cards? I have one added (with 20+ CL) and it's the only card that gets slots sold each month. I have yet to get paid (I just started a couple of months ago), but it's a card I use frequently, so hopefully they have no problems with it posting to the individual's credit report.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #561 on: October 17, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »

Are you referring to adding Chase cards? I have one added (with 20+ CL) and it's the only card that gets slots sold each month. I have yet to get paid (I just started a couple of months ago), but it's a card I use frequently, so hopefully they have no problems with it posting to the individual's credit report.

Yeah - I didn't see them mentioned in arebelspy's list earlier. All of my high limit / long term accounts are Chase.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #562 on: October 17, 2016, 12:00:38 PM »

Yeah - I didn't see them mentioned in arebelspy's list earlier. All of my high limit / long term accounts are Chase.

Looks like they may no longer be accepting Chase cards (?) The company sent me an updated FAQ and Chase does not appear to be on their list of qualified CCs. Maybe those who had their Chase cards accepted previously are grandfathered in and they continue to accept them? Guess you're out of luck with this one.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #563 on: October 17, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »
I think Chase is off the list for new enrollments.  They were more prone to adverse action.  I think that is noted somewhere in this lengthy thread but couldn't find it easily.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: October 17, 2016, 01:23:41 PM »
Wow I am really late to the party. Wish I had seen all this back in July. Busy enjoying my LOA I suppose. I have a USAA card that's about 15 years old with over 10K limit. And a couple other cards hitting the two year mark next year.

Arebelspy are you still taking PMs? I know they aren't accepting any new accounts until January. Would still like to check out the company in the meantime.
Thanks!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #565 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:10 PM »
I still haven't gotten any sales yet.  I only have one card listed though which is a 2.5 year old 20K discover card. *pout*

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #566 on: October 17, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
I still haven't gotten any sales yet.  I only have one card listed though which is a 2.5 year old 20K discover card. *pout*

I'd be willing to bet they are fairly inundated with cards at the moment.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #567 on: October 17, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »

Yea, it would seem like they are.  I've had mine up since August though so I was hoping for at least one sale.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:04:33 PM by trappedinmyoffice »

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #568 on: October 17, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »

Yea, it would seem like they are.  I've had mine up since August though so I was hoping for at least one sale.

I think it will be this way for a good year or so. Too many fingers in the cookie jar.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #569 on: October 17, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
Not quoting, on phone, but replying to last few comments.

Re: Chase.  Yes, they do Chase sales, but stopped accepting new Chase cards due to higher chance of them being shut down, they didn't want to deal with it--just decided to take what they call the "premium" cards, ones that basically haven't had issues ever.  If you have a Chase card enrolled, you're more than free to keep selling spots on it.

Re: Lack of sales.

I've definitely seen less sales since a bunch of Mustachians jumped in.  I am getting some referral commissions--thanks those who used me as a referral!--but it's still not enough to make up for the less sales.  Thought about keeping it to myself, but don't think I'd feel right about that.  Especially because it's a net win for most Mustachians--i.e. I'm losing some sales to other Mustachians, but so are all the other investors enrolled in the program who aren't Mustachian.  I like the idea of all that extra income going to Mustachians to reduce their time to FIRE or help mitigate sequence of returns risk for those FIRE'd, rather than some consumer who has a bunch of CCs enrolled because they wasteful spend all the time.  :)

Still seeing okay sales, a few a month, still on track for the 20k/yr in title, and that's held steady for the last few months but Sept/Oct definitely lower than June/July/Aug before everyone jumped in.  On track for that 20k, but down from the potential 40k listed (though that also has to do with pulling my Chase card from it, due to it having the higher risk of being shut down).

I'd probably estimate you'll get 1-2 sales/mo/card.  So if you have 5 cards times 1.5 sales per month each, times 225 commission times 12 months (assuming the card isn't capped at 2 lines for two months, otherwise it'd have to average to one sale/mo), that's 20k.  The wife and I are seeing about that total, combined (with a few more cards enrolled, but several of them somewhat poor--just at the 10k level, and just barely over 2 years old).

But yes, those of you noticing less sales, definitely the case.  Spent a few hours researching and email more tradeline companies the other day.  Disappointing how few got back to me, and the ones that did.. meh.  But I'll keep looking, and share if I find any.  I'm totally willing to drop the lines available down from 5 to, say 2-3 with the current company, and another 2-3 (totalling 5 between them) with a new one, to try and get more overall sales.  Just haven't found another good one yet.  PMs still welcome on this topic.  :)

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #570 on: October 18, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »
Has anyone with a Discover card had to upload documents to add an authorized user?  If so, is there a link on the Discover site that allows you to upload?

I got an email that just says "Within ten days, please send verification for your Authorized User(s). Documents needed along with acceptable examples can be found by signing into the Account Center."

I cannot find this list anywhere, and don't know where they want me to send this.  Do I do a secure message?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: October 18, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
Has anyone with a Discover card had to upload documents to add an authorized user?  If so, is there a link on the Discover site that allows you to upload?

I got an email that just says "Within ten days, please send verification for your Authorized User(s). Documents needed along with acceptable examples can be found by signing into the Account Center."

I cannot find this list anywhere, and don't know where they want me to send this.  Do I do a secure message?

I had this happen. (First sale woooooo!) The company had uploaded the documents I needed to their site (DL and SS card), I just needed to download them and upload them on Discover's site. Took about 3 minutes.

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #572 on: October 18, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »

I think that is common with Discover. If you go to "Manage Authorized Users" you should see a list of the AUs on the card. Under the new AU you will see an option to upload the documents.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #573 on: October 18, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »
Hmm, my problem is that this authorized user isn't showing up in my list on Discover now

Never mind, the option to upload is showing up now.  Maybe they were in the process of making it available last time I logged on.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:00:31 AM by kpd905 »

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #574 on: October 18, 2016, 01:18:53 PM »
just got an automatic credit line increase on discover, getting closer to that magical $20k credit limit!

I think someone mentioned before but if they do it automatically do you have to wait 6 months(or whatever) to request another credit increase?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #575 on: October 18, 2016, 02:28:05 PM »
just got an automatic credit line increase on discover, getting closer to that magical $20k credit limit!

I think someone mentioned before but if they do it automatically do you have to wait 6 months(or whatever) to request another credit increase?

I seem to get auto increases sometimes from Discover, so this may not as helpful.  I had a CLI in March and must have had another one between July and September.  (I cannot find an email to nail that down).  This is less than 6 months of course, so worth a shot possibly.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #576 on: October 18, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

Both my husband and I requested CLI twice within one month with Discover.  The first time we called in and were approved over the phone (5K->14K, 7K->15K).  About two weeks later I requested another increase using the online method just to see if it would work and it did! (14K->21K).  After it worked for me, I told my husband to try and it worked for him as well (15K->21K).  Not sure why or how just some anecdotal experience.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

I seem to get auto increases sometimes from Discover, so this may not as helpful.  I had a CLI in March and must have had another one between July and September.  (I cannot find an email to nail that down).  This is less than 6 months of course, so worth a shot possibly.

Another data point that might help others.. I just did a CLI on the web site out of curiosity.  Went up another 3k.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »

I got one after about 2 months.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #579 on: October 19, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
I just did another round of credit line increases today, since it had been a few months...

Got 2 yesses from Discover, 2 yesses and 2 nos from Bank of America, 2 yesses and 1 no from Barclays, and 1 no from Capital One.

Also then shifted some credit around to hit higher payment limits for adding AUs.

Just a reminder for those of you that enrolled in July, it's about time to request again.

Conventional wisdom says typically wait 3 months, but my last date I did all my requests was July 27, so it's been just under 3 months for me, but I got impatient, and I got 6 yesses, and 4 nos (and the 2 nos from B of A I think were from just getting an increase on another card, cause with both of us, the first card increase was accepted, the second was rejected, so I feel like more like a 6-2 ratio).

So don't forget to keep pushing those limits up.  If you're adding an AU, might as well try to get as much money as possible for it (and even if it doesn't bump you to the next bracket, hopefully the higher limit attracts more people for more sales--e.g. an 18k card pays the same as a 10k, but might get more sales since it's towards the top of its 10-20k bracket).  :)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: October 19, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
I just did another round of credit line increases today, since it had been a few months...

Some banks do a hard pull from a credit bureau when you request an
increase to your credit limit, which can have a minor, short-term (2 year)
negative effect on your credit score.

I have about 6-8 hard pulls per year while maintaining an excellent credit
score, but it's worth keeping track if you're requesting multiple CL increases.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #581 on: October 19, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »
yeah i'm hoping for some good sales at the end of this month have 2 BofAs that are over 30k now. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:24 AM »

i have 20+ and maintain an excellent credit score. hard pulls dont affect your credit to badly.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #583 on: October 19, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »

True.  Thanks for the reminder!

I usually have 7-12 inquiries at any given time, and a score of around 800, +/- 10.

I have no use for my credit right now, other than travel hacking/churning and tradeline sales, so I'll take the small hit to get paid via these methods to use my credit.  What's the point of an 830, 840 score or whatever if you don't use it?  I'd rather have 800, and be getting use out of it.  :)

Though it is a good thing to keep in mind, if you're going to be using your credit for a house purchase or something, you'll want to monitor it carefully.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #584 on: October 19, 2016, 05:33:18 PM »

I think that is common with Discover. If you go to "Manage Authorized Users" you should see a list of the AUs on the card. Under the new AU you will see an option to upload the documents.

I've had to upload additional documents twice with Discover so far. I had one image of a Soc Sec Card that I tried to upload about 5 times over the course of a few days. Finally used a photoshop-like program to reduce the size of the image file from about 2.4MG to about 700kb. And then it uploaded immediately on the next try. Could be coincidence, but it may save you some time. Discover doesn't say anything about file sizes on that page, but I suspect their uploader doesn't like big files.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #585 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »

I've had to upload additional documents twice with Discover so far. I had one image of a Soc Sec Card that I tried to upload about 5 times over the course of a few days. Finally used a photoshop-like program to reduce the size of the image file from about 2.4MG to about 700kb. And then it uploaded immediately on the next try. Could be coincidence, but it may save you some time. Discover doesn't say anything about file sizes on that page, but I suspect their uploader doesn't like big files.

After you uploaded the file, how long did it take for the authorized user to show up as approved in your account?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #586 on: October 19, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »
I was unclear if they were accepting new cards from existing investors, so I emailed them.  Unfortunately, new cards are on hold until January for everyone.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #587 on: October 19, 2016, 08:47:27 PM »
I was unclear if they were accepting new cards from existing investors, so I emailed them.  Unfortunately, new cards are on hold until January for everyone.

Yeah, I found out the same thing when trying to add a new card :( hopefully they have more room in January!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #588 on: October 19, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »

Ah.  I haven't had a card age from under two years to over two in the last few months, so I wasn't sure on that (if only new investors is closed, or new cards from current investors as well. Thanks for the information (and confirmation, kudy).

Still can up the limits on currently enrolled cards, just got the email confirmation that mine bumped up in the system.  Response time seems pretty back to normal, too.

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #589 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »

After you uploaded the file, how long did it take for the authorized user to show up as approved in your account?

After uploading the documents I received a call from Discover the next day to confirm the AU. Right after the call I logged into the Discover website and the AU showed it was approved.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: October 21, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
Just got an email about them reducing payouts to better compete with other companies.

This price change will take effect on December 1, 2016 and will adjust the pricing for all future cards, as well as cards currently in the system, including grandfathered pricing and personalized quotes. All cards will also be placed on the 2-month cycle schedule to meet the demand by clients and work with the increased verification time required by issuers such as Discover. The pricing below is the commission schedule for all cards and represents the total amount paid for the 2-month cycle, not price per month.

All cards, 2-Month Cycle Commission:

Limit less than $10,000 or less than 2 years old - $75 per spot (only for tradelines already in the system; not accepting new tradelines in this tier)
Limit $10,000 – $20,000 and 2+ years old – $125 per spot
Limit $20,001 – $30,000 and 2+ years old – $175 per spot
Limit $30,001 – $40,000 and 2+ years old – $200 per spot
Limit $40,001 or more and 2+ years old – $225 per spot

This is a pretty huge change.  I was getting $100 per spot per month on my Discover card, now I'll be getting $37.50.  Looks like this deal may be dead.

danielsan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #591 on: October 21, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
The gravy train has ended...  Mustachians have flooded the market with supply and they're taking advantage of that by slashing payouts.

Per e-mail:

Update to Current Commission Schedule for All Investors.
Good afternoon Investors! As many of you have experienced, we have hit a slower sales period. The industry is vastly different than it was a year ago. New investors and companies have flooded the market industry-wide and as a result, our pricing is no longer competitive. In order to increase sales, we have had to make the tough decision to decrease our prices on all accounts, including investor commission.

This price change will take effect on December 1, 2016 and will adjust the pricing for all future cards, as well as cards currently in the system, including grandfathered pricing and personalized quotes. All cards will also be placed on the 2-month cycle schedule to meet the demand by clients and work with the increased verification time required by issuers such as Discover. The pricing below is the commission schedule for all cards and represents the total amount paid for the 2-month cycle, not price per month.

All cards, 2-Month Cycle Commission:

Limit less than $10,000 or less than 2 years old - $75 per spot (only for tradelines already in the system; not accepting new tradelines in this tier)
Limit $10,000 – $20,000 and 2+ years old – $125 per spot
Limit $20,001 – $30,000 and 2+ years old – $175 per spot
Limit $30,001 – $40,000 and 2+ years old – $200 per spot
Limit $40,001 or more and 2+ years old – $225 per spot

To protect our current inventory of cards, we have closed our enrollment period for any new cards from new or current investors until January 2017, which is typically our highest sales season, at which time we will evaluate reopening our card enrollment period, first for current investors, then for new investors. Our current requirements will remain the same for all incoming cards: at least 2 years old, at least $10,000 credit limit, and only cards issued by Barclay, Citi, Discover, PNC, US Bank, or USAA.

Existing referral commission will remain the same, however any future referrals brought in will receive a reoccurring referral commission of $25 per spot per cycle for any card that qualifies.

Additionally, Chase has begun to exhibit the highest shut down rate, as well as the lowest posting ratio of all our cards, so we will be removing all Chase lines from our inventory by December 1, 2016. All current orders on Chase cards with a removal date after December 1, 2016 are still active orders and must be left on the tradeline until the removal date. Orders removed early will be subject to nonpayment.

We value you and wish to keep you, but we understand that these changes may cause some of you to consider leaving this program. If you wish to do so, we ask that you honor your commitment to your current clients on your cards and not remove them until after the removal date, otherwise we will be unable to pay you for only partially completed orders and you would not be accepted back into the program in the future.

If you do complete your orders fully and decide to leave the program, you are welcome back at any time. However, please note, we are the only company that has a third party verification process for our clients that protects you from fraudulent users, which will quickly shut down your cards. That is why we have the lowest shut-down rate of any tradeline company.

We understand this may be an unpopular change, however it is a necessary action to stay competitive in this changing market and we project this move will decrease shut downs, help ensure higher posting ratios, and increase overall sales.

If you have any questions or concerns about the new policy, please email or call and we’d be happy to address your concerns. If you do not have any questions or concerns, all changes will take effect December 1 and no further action on your behalf is required.

Thank you for your time.

[Mod Note: Removed company name.]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 07:26:25 PM by arebelspy »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: October 21, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
This new commission schedule reflects more closely what the other tradeline companies are paying their investors.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #593 on: October 21, 2016, 06:20:04 PM »
Bummer. Supply and demand at its finest. I know of two other companies that pay $150 per AU on 2+ yrs and +$20k so guess I'm moving my cards over.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:22:47 PM by Fireball »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: October 21, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »
Following... a bit late.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #595 on: October 21, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »
Huge bummer.

The 10k-20k tier cards are the most common ones, so going from $225 to $125 per spot is a bummer ($100/mo hit). But the bigger hit is the custom ones.  I have a B of A at 45k limit paying $400/line... now just $225 (a $175/mo hit).

I'm sure I'm hit more than most people, having 10+ cards in the program between the wife and I, and I'm betting this may not have happened if I didn't refer all these Mustachians.  But I'm still glad I did.  I got one PM in particular a few days ago about how someone I had referred in August was putting the funds to really good use towards medical bills that totally made it worth it.  I'm guessing a few I shared this with initially (in my journal) wish I hadn't started this thread though.  :P

It's worth noting that the biggest jump between tiers is when you bump over 20k+ (it's a $50 payment jump, the others are $25).  REALLY worthwhile to ask for credit line bumps, move credit around, etc. to hit that 20k tier.

This new commission schedule reflects more closely what the other tradeline companies are paying their investors.

Yeah.

I spent a few hours last weekend emailing a BUNCH (a dozen+) different tradeline companies.  I was merely hoping to find a company I could feel comfortable recommending to the people still emailing me for a referral for the next few months, until January, and possibly after in case this company didn't open back up to new investors in January.

The disappointing thing is that most of the tradeline companies didn't even get back to me.  And many other ones have lower commissions--even now, after this decrease with this company, they're lower ($100/order, some even less).

Now I will be increasing the search, to see if there are other alternatives for us to move to for better commissions.  The company I'm using right now is the one I'm most comfortable with based on their protections and procedures, but also happened to be the highest paying.  Now it'll be a determination of if the lower pay is worth less risk, or vice-versa.

For example--if I can get $150 from a shady company (theoretically), or $125 from a good one... I'll probably take the $125 and good company.  It'll cost me about 16%, so a few thousand dollars over the course of a year (a few hundred bucks if you only have a tradeline or two), but I'll feel more comfortable knowing the identity of the AU is verified, so the amount of fraud will be much less likely, the chance of my cards being cancelled will be much less likely, and the chance the company isn't fly-by-night, but will still be around come tax season to issue the 1099, etc.

That's probably worth the tradeoff in costs.

If another company was offering a lot more though, not just a $25 difference...I'd have to think about it.  Riskier, but possibly worth the risk.  Maybe enroll a few cards I care less about.

For now, I'm planning to continue with the same company, and keep researching alternatives.

Summary: This will obviously be a big hit in terms of income--I'll personally be going from current estimates of 20-25k annually to maybe 12k (guessing on this.. we'll see how it falls out).

The decrease won't stop me from continuing.  I'll keep looking for alternate companies (as above; and will post here if I find something),  but it's still a $125+ payment for the amount of work to go online, spend 5 minutes adding the AU, then spend 5 minutes removing them a few months later.  The hourly wage dropped from like $600 per hour to $350 per hour, or something like that.

Disappointment is about expectations, and so it's a bummer it just fell, but if it had been this price originally, I'd still have signed up, and still be ecstatic about the essentially free money.  If it had been lower, I likely would have signed up, and if they had just boosted it to this, I'd be thrilled.  So, all in all, I'd like to make as much as possible, but I'll still be happy making what I can, given it's basically no work, and fairly low risk (with this company) of any shutdowns, fraud, etc.

And I'll cross my fingers it lasts.  If it stays even at this lower tier, but lasts another year, I'll be happy.  Whatever I can collect, if it eventually ends (as it will, I'm sure), I'll count it as free money, and move on.  To date, I've gotten paid about $5500 (for 2.5 months--half of June, July, Aug), with another $2500 coming in about a week (for Sept).  That's what I'd consider a successful side-gig, even if it ended tomorrow.  This lower tier will slow it, but 10k/yr for maybe an hour of "work" per month?  I'm still okay with that.  Much easier to look on the bright side in this situation than actual bad ones.

:)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:14:09 PM by arebelspy »

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #596 on: October 21, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »
Oddly enough, this change might actually MAKE me money.

I had a 3 year 26k cap1 card in since July, with NO SALES. Maybe the price drop will make it happen...

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #597 on: October 22, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
So sad :(   My custom quote goes from $500 to $200.....ugh.

Sorry Arebelspy for your loss due to you generously sharing the info.  At least you still get the same amount for referrals!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #598 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:41 AM »
Huge bummer.

Heh.  It could and probably will get worse.

For example, if I were running the company, I would set up a market for investors to
bid on the price they would be willing to sell their tradelines.  Given human behavior in
markets, this would have the effect of rapidly driving down rates.

We're probably seeing this occur anyway in slow motion with the tradeline
competitors forcing a shift toward gradually lowering compensation rates
to investors.  Markets deplore a vacuum.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #599 on: October 22, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »
It may, if they are lowering their prices, increase the volume of sales a bit at least. Will be interesting to see how it plays out!